• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

i cant quit opiates

I have a bundle a day habit..will kratom work for me? Ive heard that if you have a bad habit that the amount of kratom you need to help will make you sick. I'm scared to death of kicking but I really fuckin need to. Any advice on making withdrawal more comfortable would REALLY be appreciated
do you inject?

I cant, wont I dunno its just so hard never in my life have I found something so irresistable.. How do people quit, cold turkey?? I cant even go 12 hours without it before I start cracking up
Coldturkey is excruciating as fuck even if you taper at the lowest dose possible. You need some. Loperamide. For the first 3-5 days at least and gabapentin for the first 7-10 days. Also some. Clonazepam for the same amt of. Days only enough to relax ur muscles and get some sleep/rest like 2-4mgs a day 20-40mgs loperamide a day and 900-1500 gabapentin a day. If u have access to. Lyrica instead of gabapentin would be better. This is the only way I can detox, The only times I've gone Coldturkey were In rehab and they were a fking nightmare, with the meds I just told. U can reduce the wds like 70% no kidding mate. Good Luck on getting clean 😂

Addiction means obsession, right. Your brain wants that, he knows that X makes him forget memories, past-trauma events, life itself. Escapism. You need to find your escape in something else. I think we should have a F.A.Q stating this.
That's a good idea indeed man, with the discovery of Comfort meds few years ago like pentin, Lyrica, Loperamide. There should be a how to survive opiate wds sticky thread with faq. 👍

Find a Suboxone doctor. You can find one near you on the Suboxone website. It can be used to get you off opiates and then you taper off the Suboxone or it can be used for opioid maintenance. This is how I use it. I've been on it for 10 years and I can honestly say it saved my life. It is like a miracle. If you decide to try it, you'll hear it described that way a lot. I thought I was the only one who said that until I entered the world of Suboxone and found it's quite a common description. It will eliminate, not lessen, eliminate your withdrawal within an hour. It also binds much more strongly than true opioids to the receptors in your brain. This means if you have Suboxone in you system (and it takes about 2 weeks to get out) and you take an opioid like oxycodone, hydrocodone, oral dilaudid, you won't get high - you won't feel anything. NOTE - I CANNOT SPEAK TO IV USE AS IT WAS NEVER MY THING.
I have a severe dependency on opioids so I'll be on Suboxone for the rest of my life but I don't care. I haven't had a craving for an opioid since I took my first Suboxone.
Give it a try, what have you got to lose? Oh yeah...your life.

Good luck to you!
Z.
Can I ask you something man? I was just wondering if subs lower ur libido like normal opiates do. I wanna know.

You are so young , but still need help. Can you go to Rehab, and learn to brake the cycle?? Detox for a short stay to get clean, past acute withdrawals?
Or just find a NA meeting everyday that fits your schedule and go?
Hey man I just wanted to thank you for ur words the other day and for constantly comment on ppl that are feeling down and need some advice/tap on the back. Ur truly a wonderful person Ice straight down to earth. 😊

Maybe you should (maybe you already do) reflect on how your relapses play out and see if you can change anything in your life there. Relapse is to be expected if everyone around you is a junkie for example or you live a block from your dealer. I once quit an IV addiction to stims by moving to a rural area and doing minimum wage backbreaking manual labor on a farm for 10 hours a day - only took a couple of months. Worked cause I was nowhere near drugs, learning new skills, eating healthy and getting natural endorphins. My cravings disappeared at the end of the first week. I don't know if opiate addiction can be beaten the same way but context is so important in encouraging or enabling drug use.

Hey man I just wanted to thank you for ur words the other day and for constantly comment on ppl that are feeling down and need some advice/tap on the back. Ur truly a wonderful person Ice straight down to earth. 😊
You are so smart and strong ( you want off this shitty opiate nightmare) at a young age 👍🏻👍🏻.
As addicts we are all on this same boat trying to row in the right direction and stay clean & Sober. People put there hand out to help me in the recovery boat, I will help you, and you will help the next poor lost soul , like we all start ❤️❤️

I don't know if opiate addiction can be beaten the same way but context is so important in encouraging or enabling drug use.

definitely true of any drug. i've managed to go away and, at various times, not think about weed, benzos, smack, crack much while i'm away and be certain i won't start doing it again when i get back, only to go straight back to whatever my poison was at the time once i was home. this is why NA say you have to change people, places and things. its certainly helped me.

It takes a million attempts to finally make it out. As long as you don't return to old habits per each relapse eventually you'll make noticeable progress. The problem is people relapse after getting past the withdrawal and give in and start using daily again. I've never known anyone who didn't absolutely struggle beyond words when it comes to knocking off an opiate habit from their life. It's highly important to acknowledge that after being sober for an extended period of time your tolerance will be drastically lower. I think it's very vital to not overlook that and because the euphoria comes back a bit after a break to listen to your body and not push the doses to make up for lost time. I know it's a insufferable time period. Believe me I really know. But now is the time to start at least making some sobriety attempts because it won't happen overnight. Trial and error over and over wins in the end. Sobriety isn't all about losing a wonderful feeling. You gain quite a bit of unexpected benefits as well.

You're never going to feel truly ready. It's that hard. If all else fails there's always suboxone and methadone!

It takes a million attempts to finally make it out. As long as you don't return to old habits per each relapse eventually you'll make noticeable progress. The problem is people relapse after getting past the withdrawal and give in and start using daily again. I've never known anyone who didn't absolutely struggle beyond words when it comes to knocking off an opiate habit from their life. It's highly important to acknowledge that after being sober for an extended period of time your tolerance will be drastically lower. I think it's very vital to not overlook that and because the euphoria comes back a bit after a break to listen to your body and not push the doses to make up for lost time. I know it's a insufferable time period. Believe me I really know. But now is the time to start at least making some sobriety attempts because it won't happen overnight. Trial and error over and over wins in the end. Sobriety isn't all about losing a wonderful feeling. You gain quite a bit of unexpected benefits as well.

You're never going to feel truly ready. It's that hard. If all else fails there's always suboxone and methadone!
Man, i always say it's the last fucking time.7 years down the drain, 3 suicide attempts, I'm still here dtruggling with this shit. I feel miserable but onr day hopefully I'll be clean for good.

Man, i always say it's the last fucking time.7 years down the drain, 3 suicide attempts, I'm still here dtruggling with this shit. I feel miserable but onr day hopefully I'll be clean for good.

Just gotta not stop trying.. even the successful attempts where sobriety is temporary at least you can appreciate things like the sun's rays beating down your face and the smell of flowers lol.

It's a meaningless life day after day sitting indoors getting high over and over. It steals the color in life completely with frequent use.

Just gotta not stop trying.. even the successful attempts where sobriety is temporary at least you can appreciate things like the sun's rays beating down your face and the smell of flowers lol.

It's a meaningless life day after day sitting indoors getting high over and over. It steals the color in life completely with frequent use.
Plz dont dieman, posts like this give me hope uu

Plz dont dieman, posts like this give me hope uu

It's a weird addiction because it's a source of happiness but in the end it's purely misery. If you've got opiate dependency then you are definitely not mentally stable or in good health and that's hard to realize.

I'm pretty sure everyone with opiate dependency (other than chronic pain patients) were not the happiest persons before they succumbed to opiate abuse. You've got to think hard about what's missing in your life and how to alleviate those things because even if you are successful in stopping opiate dependency, when it's the only source of pleasure in your life the boredom will kill you as well as the existential dread that follows after cessation. No one wants to deal with the unfathomable flat and grey world that comes with quitting. It's such a horrible beyond words time period but it does go away eventually.

Opiate addicts have spent the past year(s) only concerned with scoring and keeping their non-using lives together. They've probably lost quite a bit of friends and family support from their use subconsciously or visibly so. You've got to gain that support system back by following through with plans and socializing. It takes time to gain the lost trust back, or make new friendships and relationships.. but if you've got no one who has your back because you've scarred everyone from selfish using patterns there's just no way you'll maintain the sobriety.

I can totally relate and want to ask this question myself

My cousin per say is taking 80 to 120 mg of OP's a day. He has been doing so for about 6 weeks. Before that they had not taken any pain medicine whatsoever.

He wants to know how to responsibly get off of the medicine. I am not experienced to advise him how to do so. He is worried that if he does it cold turkey he will get sick.

Is this true ? Can he do it cold turkey or should he try to taper off the medicine ? Also, he does not get the medicine from his doctor but from the streets so he cannot call his doctor

and get a lighter prescription.

I am hoping some more experienced people from this forum can answer this question. I am so glad this forum his here.

I can totally relate and want to ask this question myself

My cousin per say is taking 80 to 120 mg of OP's a day. He has been doing so for about 6 weeks. Before that they had not taken any pain medicine whatsoever.

He wants to know how to responsibly get off of the medicine. I am not experienced to advise him how to do so. He is worried that if he does it cold turkey he will get sick.

Is this true ? Can he do it cold turkey or should he try to taper off the medicine ? Also, he does not get the medicine from his doctor but from the streets so he cannot call his doctor

and get a lighter prescription.

I am hoping some more experienced people from this forum can answer this question. I am so glad this forum his here.

6 weeks is not very long at all. It's possible he may still have little or no dependence.

Only way to find out for sure is to try. If he's found that what he takes today is less effective than the same amount when he started, it's more likely he has a dependence.

If his dependence is still small or nonexistent, I suspect he'd be much better off just stopping rather than tapering. Since tapering is just more time to become dependent to it.

Way I see it that's what it boils down too, whether or not he's dependent, and if so to what degree and how much withdrawal he can tolerate.

What I would recommend, is just stop the pills and see what happens. See if he starts feeling sick. If he does, see how it goes, if it becomes intolerable, resume the pills and taper instead.

The only danger I can see in doing that is that there's a chance that if he is dependent, and he let's himself be in withdrawal for several days before deciding he can't continue, he should probably take a bit less than normal to start with when he resumes the pills. Just in case his tolerance has dropped a bit in that time.

That's the best advise I can think of from my experience. It's worth noting though my experience with oxycodone, and pain pills in general is kinda limited. I was a heavy heroin addict and any time I've taken those time release oxy pills they haven't affected me at all unless I was really sick in withdrawal.

Last edited:
6 weeks is not very long at all. It's possible he may still have little or no dependence.

I think that's wishful thinking... 6 weeks of daily use of 80mg oxycodone will very likely result in some nasty withdrawals. The rule of thumb I operate with is, if you are using opioids continuously for more than 72 hours, you're likely to experience some tolerance/dependence.