• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Hydromorphone Overdose [Nasal].

d896629

Bluelighter
Hello all,

My question is in the thread title...I just tend to ramble, LOL.

To begin with, I wasn't sure if I should classify this under "Opioids" or "Harm Reduction", so if any moderator can let me know, I would appreciate it. :)

I was happy to report that I self-administered a 4mg naloxone [Narcan] nasal spray on Wednesday night, and felt no discomfort. This was 12 days after my most recent use of an full opioid agonist, and five full days since I had taken 1mg of Suboxone.

It was then that I realized I am no longer physically addicted, but simply have cravings, and now my goal is to manage that.

Moving forward, I don't intend to take Hydromorphone again, because my tolerance has reduced so much that I just don't feel I need anything that strong. I have also lost my desire to take methadone, because I am at a point where I don't don't need the benefit of simply feeling normal from using anything. If I select to use in the future, I want to actually make an evening or night out of it, and enjoy myself. But not to a point of using anything stronger than oxycodone.

Unfortunately, my contact does not necessarily always have oxycodone, so it will probably come up in the future where I take hydromorphone again. I have never taken it orally, to my recollection, nor have I plugged it. The latter actually interests me...but as I see it, if I am back to using opiates with greater and greater moderation/restraint, why try a method that is stronger? Unless perhaps plugging it simply increases efficiency and is a cost-effective method, but not necessarily more dangerous [as intravenous drug use is], I might be open-minded to that. Although the only thing I have ever inserted into my anus has been a laxative suppository [once as a small child, and once as an adult, due to constipation, ironically, from hydromorphone].

One issue I have when using is that I ALWAYS worry that I am overdosing on...anything really. Shoot, even a few Percocet pills could make me feel that way! I'm pretty bad for this, although I realize it is seemingly just mental. After all, could a person be wide awake typing or reading on the internet coherently, not nodding off AT ALL, and be overdosing? I am just a major hypochondriac, which is both a good AND bad thing.

My friend said that his girlfriend once snorted a full 30mg HydromorphContin pill, and merely got a bit sleepy, and was nodding off and on. That being said, I don't take this lightly, yet I can't find much information on this specific question, that being:

Is there any way to determine what the potential overdose quantity is for an adult male using nasal/insufflated hydromorphone?

No judgment or anything. Just speaking from experience and hoping you make it off of this Merry-go-round alive.

If you're clean and don't need it, start the process of living a life without needing to worry about what you're going to OD on next. I was on opioids/opiates for 17 years and I'm only 32. They will steal everything from right under your nose.

There's no point in taking weaker pills when your tolerance is going to rebuild. Been there, tried that. No such thing as a moderate addict. Celebrate your clean time, get new friends, don't look back.

As for your question: no. There's no way to tell how much is too much until you find out the hard way, unless you have an anesthesiologist on hand and even then it's educated guess-work. Don't base your dose on how much your friends take.

"Adult males" range in weight, diet, tolerance, genetics, etc. which all factor in to how much the drug will compromise an individual's CNS.

There's a good reason anesthesiologists get paid so much and ask so many questions before knocking people out, and even they fuck up sometimes.

LGV9000 - thank you for your post. We have similar user names.

This is a long post, but if you want to know a bit more about my history, and why I value your suggestion [and ultimately make it my goal], but consider it unrealistic for me at the current time, here is my story:

For the record, I used opiates for my first time at the age of 25, in 2007. I used one Percocet. In 2009, I used opiates again, and I used them steadily [albeit only around 7x per year] through to 2016, with another two year period of no use in that time, between around this this time in 2012 through to around this time in 2014.

In the nine year period from 2007 through to 2016, I used an average of once every 49 days. So while I would agree with you that there may be "[no] such thing thing as a moderate addict", I did moderate opiates perfectly well for nine years. Only when everything fell apart for me on every front in life, not only being not whatsoever my fault, but being multiple examples of blatantly being harmed by other people, did I start abusing opiates.

Even if I went the rest of my life completely clean [or attempted to do so], I could still relapse, if multiple tragedies struck me at the same time. For instance, I have three small children. If all three of my children died at the same time in an automobile accident, for example, I would relapse.

It wouldn't matter if I stayed completely abstinent/ clean for the next five years - I would still most likely relapse in such an instant.

Therefore, I see no reason to use zero all of the time, and I actually think it is harmful to me.

I was addicted to opiates for two years straight. Now, without the use of daily methadone or daily Suboxone, I have managed to quit, in that I experience no physical withdrawals to use opiates - just mild cravings.

I was once at the convenience store, and spoke to the clerk about the vapes they were selling, as they were/are still relatively new at the time.

She said "I found it very hard to quit smoking cigarettes at first, but then I tried a different plan, and I haven't smoked for six months." I then asked her "Do you use a vape now?" And she said "Yes, I vape every day."

Haha, oh for crying out loud!

I don't consider it "quitting" to go from nicotine to nicotine! That is simply quitting smoking cigarettes - not quitting nicotine!

When I talk about quitting - I mean QUITTING. I don't mean going from full opiate agonist in pill form to full opioid agonist by way of methadone! I don't using a partial opiate agonist daily like Suboxone. I mean QUITTING.

So to be completely clear with you - I have quit to the point that I experience no physical withdrawals at all, but I guess I will be in the extended post-acute withdrawal phase, possibly for months or even a year or more, especially with Covid-19. It's a bit hard to be happy and optimistic when Canada [where I live] has just lost 20% of its economy. Canada's deficit this year is something like $328 billion - that is almost a billion dollars PER DAY in deficit spending!

And there are talks for the Covid-19 lock-downs to still continue. While I understand that people generally do not understand economics, I had NO IDEA the extent to which people literally had no clue. The current economic situation in Canada [and in my opinion, in the world] right now is completely unsustainable.

And that, more than anything else, is leaving me depressed, and making it hard to get over the post-acute withdrawal phase. Because in my best of days, things would be fine right now, but things are simply not great, and if current economic woes continue for another 18 months, it is guaranteed to impact my personal financial situation, thus compromising the lives of my three children. Granted, a lot can happen in the next 18 months...but I don't take anything for granted.

I'm not sure if you assumed I was a former pill opiate user who is now stable on methadone who wants to use pill opiate from time to time - as I said, I do NOT think that is "quitting".

Right now, I am literally using nothing, but some Kratom from time to time, and some lorazepam [Ativan] that I was actually prescribed, also only from time to time. For example, I keep a log of everything I use, and if you were to look at last Sunday, it might say something like "1mg Lorazepam + 6g Red Bali Kratom" or something to that effect. I feel there is no point in being dishonest with what you use - least of all to yourself! And as I said, I don't consider a person to have quit a full opiate agonist addiction when they are using a full opioid agonist like methadone, as my friend is, who is on 45mg of methadone daily.

I think the reality of how not addicted [physically] I am right now, and how addicted that particular friend of mine is, would be established if both of us were arrested [hypothetically - say, both cases of mistaken identity], and forced to stay in prison.

I, while being annoyed, would not be in any serious withdrawal. Whereas my friend would be crawling out of her skin.

If I was stable on 10mg of methadone daily [forgive me for assuming you assumed this], I wouldn't be thinking about using opiates. The reason why I intend to use, perhaps in a week, then two weeks after that, then two weeks again, then a month after that, then a month after that, is to gradually wean off opiates psychologically in the long run.

By the time I am at my second or third round with a month off between uses of oxycodone, I suspect I will have no problem going a year off.

I have also done many other things to ensure a relapse would not be easy - I have lost contact with all but the two most ethical contacts; one for opiate pills, and one for methadone. If I tell them that I will buy a year's supply [say 12x 40mg oxycodone pills, assuming using one of such pills per month for a year], and to not allow me to by anymore until the following year, they WOULD follow my rules.

Furthermore, since I am not physically addicted to opiates anymore, I won't be seeking them out in the time between my 1x monthly allowance [or whatever I decide on], and I refuse to connect anyone with opiates - I don't care what the reason. If that ever comes up, I will simply politely explain to anyone who asks that I was addicted for a two year period, and I refuse to seek out opiates for anyone, as I run the risk of getting them for myself.

From there, it would actually be a bit of a struggle to even acquire opiates - being able to acquire enough to use for the year, with a friend who already told me she would give me one per month out of that supply, and with a plan in place that if I ever use for five days in a row, I will take 30 days off by going to a remote property that I own, I have a lot of checks and balances in place to prevent from becoming full-out addicted again.

Again, if things go badly for me [multiple deaths in the family at the same time], I may well relapse anyway. I don't believe that full abstinence will prevent that. Also, since I am not using methadone or Suboxone, I think slowly getting to the once a month level before considering a full year off, or potential lifetime abstinence is more realistic for me than to do that right now. As it is now, I used 1x 18mg hydromorphone pill in August and 2x 18mg hydromorphone pill in September - and the only reason I used 2x 18mg in September was because I had a temporary falling out with the person who I acquired the second 18mg pill for [I'm not complaining, lol!].

Opiates are also the only substance suitable for my brain chemistry. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I can't smoke marijuana because of extreme paranoia. MDMA is not by thing, psilocybin mushrooms are DEFINITELY not my thing, CARBOHYDRATES are not by thing - NOTHING is my thing. Sex isn't my thing for crying out loud. Benzodiazepines help me to sleep, but Jordan Peterson said that they increase the odds of getting dementia, and it seems like withdrawal from benzos are a complete nightmare. So I really want nothing to do with that. CBD has worked a little for me, but it is pretty mild.

So opiates are really the ONLY thing that have ever worked for me, so it's either do that, or do NOTHING, EVER, LITERALLY.

And hey - I may ultimately end up doing that. I'm not saying full out abstinence for life is a bad thing. I AM ok with that - I just don't think that model is sustainable for me. But time will tell.

As of now, since I have not used methadone or Suboxone to get to this point, and have more or less been at a low level of opiates since March of 2019 [basically, four Percocets per day or less, down to where I'm at now], I am in a pretty good spot.

I just don't see myself going six months without using opiates without being depressed, whereas when I now use once a month, that experience is starting to resemble the experiences I had with opiates from 2007 through to 2016, when I used on average once per 49 days - they really brighten my day and make me realize how happy it's possible to feel, and actually make me set goals in the meantime, knowing that day to use again will be coming in another seven weeks. It was actually only when I started using opiates in moderation that the period of greatest motivation in my adult life happened.

Again, that was using at the rate specified in the previous paragraph, for nearly a full decade.

Would I like to follow your suggestion of never using ever again? Sure, I would. But without methadone or Suboxone to help me, that is not easy.

This wouldn't even be a question if I was on 10mg of methadone a day.

I honestly feel that if ONLY I had access to a sauna at this point, I would be back to feeling like myself. Again, it is depression from the political response to Covid-19 that is causing me to be in the state that I am, rather than any problems caused by the virus itself [just like everyone else, I don't know anyone who knows anyone who had Covid-19, and I'm not afraid of a virus where the average person who dies is older than the current human lifespan, but I digress].

But the reaction to Covid-19 and Canada's growing deficit is absolutely making staying off opiates harder for me, because I just spent the past 19 months reducing to the point I am at now, and I have been in self-isolation since November 18th following some of the rules you stated [such as not seeing the people who use regularly].

I am now feeling vibrant and fresh and ready to go - and I am still young enough to recover quite well on the other side of this - yet...here we are with Covid-19 pandemic rules in place where I live in Canada [Ontario] that may pose a threat to gyms staying open, which will make things for me horrible, because going back to the gym was the best thing possible for me [I'm a lightweight competitive strongman - which is another reason why I can't use many or any other substances - because they are almost all more toxic than opiates are, on the tissues of our body].

To be completely clear - if I feel I can go completely abstinent, I would be willing to give that a try. I have no problem with that model. I just think it is unrealistic for me. Again, if I was on 10mg of methadone daily [likely even 5mg] or 0.5mg of Suboxone daily, this would not even be a question. But the fact of the matter is, I am trying my best to stay clean while relying on no such subtance, and it has not been easy.

My plan for now is to get to the opiate once a month level for a few months, stop using the Kratom and lorazepam [both "as needed" at the current time - not daily], and finally stop for a full year, or stop forever, possibly. Or...if I find I am managing the once a month usage without any serious cravings, and if I am confident that I have a system in place where I make it impossible to find, by acquiring a year's supply, cutting ties with my two remaining contacts, and staying out of that circle, then I may just continue using once per month.

Sadly, as said above, I think if life goes badly for me [dealing with a death of one or more of my children, or another tragedy], I will probably relapse whether or not I remain abstinent from this point on. So as long as I put the other measures in place [such as acquire 12x opiate pills for 1x monthly use, and give them to a trusted friend to hold and give to me, but ONLY at that rate, no exceptions], I think I should be ok.

To be completely clear - my goal is lifetime abstinence. I am just finding it easier to use, then put as much space as possible in between my next date of using, and continue to add space, hopefully until I get to the point of either complete abstinence [as you recommend], or to the point where I'm not even thinking about it, and not concerned.

I dread to think that everything bad in my life could converge on me at the same time again...but I will have many checks and balances in place to deal with that, should that happen. For example, all of my paychecks go directly to my mother's bank account from now on, and she barely allows me $10 a month to spend, lol! I'm joking, but only slightly - she is really not allowing me very much of my money at all, and I put that measure [which seems extreme] in place so that I would not - literally, COULD NOT - spend my money on a relapse.

It is unrealistic for me to abstain further than I currently do. I could make it a point to try it, don't get me wrong...but I know it would just put me into a pit of depression until I finally cave and use. I already have tried that, and that's what happens. Again, with methadone or Suboxone, it would be a different story. But to quit completely as I have, is really not the same thing as using either of those substances to mask withdrawal.

Opiates = suffering in paradise. You want to get out but don't want to. You want to be clean but want to use. There's never any winning and it never seems to get less controversial the more time you spend away from them. I want oxycodone badly. Very badly lol. But I don't want to ever withdraw again and the price is ridiculous. So I'm holding off for my blessed adderall.

Opiates are the drug I can't form an opinion on. The addiction is the best and worst thing to happen to one. OP I think it would be best to wait until he has oxycodone and you can match your tolerance with whatever dose is pleasing. But resist using oxy daily and if he doesn't have it just hold off really. I wish I had done this but here I am.

Last edited:
LGV9000 - thank you for your post. We have similar user names.

This is a long post, but if you want to know a bit more about my history, and why I value your suggestion [and ultimately make it my goal], but consider it unrealistic for me at the current time, here is my story:

For the record, I used opiates for my first time at the age of 25, in 2007. I used one Percocet. In 2009, I used opiates again, and I used them steadily [albeit only around 7x per year] through to 2016, with another two year period of no use in that time, between around this this time in 2012 through to around this time in 2014.

In the nine year period from 2007 through to 2016, I used an average of once every 49 days. So while I would agree with you that there may be "[no] such thing thing as a moderate addict", I did moderate opiates perfectly well for nine years. Only when everything fell apart for me on every front in life, not only being not whatsoever my fault, but being multiple examples of blatantly being harmed by other people, did I start abusing opiates.

Even if I went the rest of my life completely clean [or attempted to do so], I could still relapse, if multiple tragedies struck me at the same time. For instance, I have three small children. If all three of my children died at the same time in an automobile accident, for example, I would relapse.

It wouldn't matter if I stayed completely abstinent/ clean for the next five years - I would still most likely relapse in such an instant.

Therefore, I see no reason to use zero all of the time, and I actually think it is harmful to me.

I was addicted to opiates for two years straight. Now, without the use of daily methadone or daily Suboxone, I have managed to quit, in that I experience no physical withdrawals to use opiates - just mild cravings.

I was once at the convenience store, and spoke to the clerk about the vapes they were selling, as they were/are still relatively new at the time.

She said "I found it very hard to quit smoking cigarettes at first, but then I tried a different plan, and I haven't smoked for six months." I then asked her "Do you use a vape now?" And she said "Yes, I vape every day."

Haha, oh for crying out loud!

I don't consider it "quitting" to go from nicotine to nicotine! That is simply quitting smoking cigarettes - not quitting nicotine!

When I talk about quitting - I mean QUITTING. I don't mean going from full opiate agonist in pill form to full opioid agonist by way of methadone! I don't using a partial opiate agonist daily like Suboxone. I mean QUITTING.

So to be completely clear with you - I have quit to the point that I experience no physical withdrawals at all, but I guess I will be in the extended post-acute withdrawal phase, possibly for months or even a year or more, especially with Covid-19. It's a bit hard to be happy and optimistic when Canada [where I live] has just lost 20% of its economy. Canada's deficit this year is something like $328 billion - that is almost a billion dollars PER DAY in deficit spending!

And there are talks for the Covid-19 lock-downs to still continue. While I understand that people generally do not understand economics, I had NO IDEA the extent to which people literally had no clue. The current economic situation in Canada [and in my opinion, in the world] right now is completely unsustainable.

And that, more than anything else, is leaving me depressed, and making it hard to get over the post-acute withdrawal phase. Because in my best of days, things would be fine right now, but things are simply not great, and if current economic woes continue for another 18 months, it is guaranteed to impact my personal financial situation, thus compromising the lives of my three children. Granted, a lot can happen in the next 18 months...but I don't take anything for granted.

I'm not sure if you assumed I was a former pill opiate user who is now stable on methadone who wants to use pill opiate from time to time - as I said, I do NOT think that is "quitting".

Right now, I am literally using nothing, but some Kratom from time to time, and some lorazepam [Ativan] that I was actually prescribed, also only from time to time. For example, I keep a log of everything I use, and if you were to look at last Sunday, it might say something like "1mg Lorazepam + 6g Red Bali Kratom" or something to that effect. I feel there is no point in being dishonest with what you use - least of all to yourself! And as I said, I don't consider a person to have quit a full opiate agonist addiction when they are using a full opioid agonist like methadone, as my friend is, who is on 45mg of methadone daily.

I think the reality of how not addicted [physically] I am right now, and how addicted that particular friend of mine is, would be established if both of us were arrested [hypothetically - say, both cases of mistaken identity], and forced to stay in prison.

I, while being annoyed, would not be in any serious withdrawal. Whereas my friend would be crawling out of her skin.

If I was stable on 10mg of methadone daily [forgive me for assuming you assumed this], I wouldn't be thinking about using opiates. The reason why I intend to use, perhaps in a week, then two weeks after that, then two weeks again, then a month after that, then a month after that, is to gradually wean off opiates psychologically in the long run.

By the time I am at my second or third round with a month off between uses of oxycodone, I suspect I will have no problem going a year off.

I have also done many other things to ensure a relapse would not be easy - I have lost contact with all but the two most ethical contacts; one for opiate pills, and one for methadone. If I tell them that I will buy a year's supply [say 12x 40mg oxycodone pills, assuming using one of such pills per month for a year], and to not allow me to by anymore until the following year, they WOULD follow my rules.

Furthermore, since I am not physically addicted to opiates anymore, I won't be seeking them out in the time between my 1x monthly allowance [or whatever I decide on], and I refuse to connect anyone with opiates - I don't care what the reason. If that ever comes up, I will simply politely explain to anyone who asks that I was addicted for a two year period, and I refuse to seek out opiates for anyone, as I run the risk of getting them for myself.

From there, it would actually be a bit of a struggle to even acquire opiates - being able to acquire enough to use for the year, with a friend who already told me she would give me one per month out of that supply, and with a plan in place that if I ever use for five days in a row, I will take 30 days off by going to a remote property that I own, I have a lot of checks and balances in place to prevent from becoming full-out addicted again.

Again, if things go badly for me [multiple deaths in the family at the same time], I may well relapse anyway. I don't believe that full abstinence will prevent that. Also, since I am not using methadone or Suboxone, I think slowly getting to the once a month level before considering a full year off, or potential lifetime abstinence is more realistic for me than to do that right now. As it is now, I used 1x 18mg hydromorphone pill in August and 2x 18mg hydromorphone pill in September - and the only reason I used 2x 18mg in September was because I had a temporary falling out with the person who I acquired the second 18mg pill for [I'm not complaining, lol!].

Opiates are also the only substance suitable for my brain chemistry. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I can't smoke marijuana because of extreme paranoia. MDMA is not by thing, psilocybin mushrooms are DEFINITELY not my thing, CARBOHYDRATES are not by thing - NOTHING is my thing. Sex isn't my thing for crying out loud. Benzodiazepines help me to sleep, but Jordan Peterson said that they increase the odds of getting dementia, and it seems like withdrawal from benzos are a complete nightmare. So I really want nothing to do with that. CBD has worked a little for me, but it is pretty mild.

So opiates are really the ONLY thing that have ever worked for me, so it's either do that, or do NOTHING, EVER, LITERALLY.

And hey - I may ultimately end up doing that. I'm not saying full out abstinence for life is a bad thing. I AM ok with that - I just don't think that model is sustainable for me. But time will tell.

As of now, since I have not used methadone or Suboxone to get to this point, and have more or less been at a low level of opiates since March of 2019 [basically, four Percocets per day or less, down to where I'm at now], I am in a pretty good spot.

I just don't see myself going six months without using opiates without being depressed, whereas when I now use once a month, that experience is starting to resemble the experiences I had with opiates from 2007 through to 2016, when I used on average once per 49 days - they really brighten my day and make me realize how happy it's possible to feel, and actually make me set goals in the meantime, knowing that day to use again will be coming in another seven weeks. It was actually only when I started using opiates in moderation that the period of greatest motivation in my adult life happened.

Again, that was using at the rate specified in the previous paragraph, for nearly a full decade.

Would I like to follow your suggestion of never using ever again? Sure, I would. But without methadone or Suboxone to help me, that is not easy.

This wouldn't even be a question if I was on 10mg of methadone a day.

I honestly feel that if ONLY I had access to a sauna at this point, I would be back to feeling like myself. Again, it is depression from the political response to Covid-19 that is causing me to be in the state that I am, rather than any problems caused by the virus itself [just like everyone else, I don't know anyone who knows anyone who had Covid-19, and I'm not afraid of a virus where the average person who dies is older than the current human lifespan, but I digress].

But the reaction to Covid-19 and Canada's growing deficit is absolutely making staying off opiates harder for me, because I just spent the past 19 months reducing to the point I am at now, and I have been in self-isolation since November 18th following some of the rules you stated [such as not seeing the people who use regularly].

I am now feeling vibrant and fresh and ready to go - and I am still young enough to recover quite well on the other side of this - yet...here we are with Covid-19 pandemic rules in place where I live in Canada [Ontario] that may pose a threat to gyms staying open, which will make things for me horrible, because going back to the gym was the best thing possible for me [I'm a lightweight competitive strongman - which is another reason why I can't use many or any other substances - because they are almost all more toxic than opiates are, on the tissues of our body].

To be completely clear - if I feel I can go completely abstinent, I would be willing to give that a try. I have no problem with that model. I just think it is unrealistic for me. Again, if I was on 10mg of methadone daily [likely even 5mg] or 0.5mg of Suboxone daily, this would not even be a question. But the fact of the matter is, I am trying my best to stay clean while relying on no such subtance, and it has not been easy.

My plan for now is to get to the opiate once a month level for a few months, stop using the Kratom and lorazepam [both "as needed" at the current time - not daily], and finally stop for a full year, or stop forever, possibly. Or...if I find I am managing the once a month usage without any serious cravings, and if I am confident that I have a system in place where I make it impossible to find, by acquiring a year's supply, cutting ties with my two remaining contacts, and staying out of that circle, then I may just continue using once per month.

Sadly, as said above, I think if life goes badly for me [dealing with a death of one or more of my children, or another tragedy], I will probably relapse whether or not I remain abstinent from this point on. So as long as I put the other measures in place [such as acquire 12x opiate pills for 1x monthly use, and give them to a trusted friend to hold and give to me, but ONLY at that rate, no exceptions], I think I should be ok.

To be completely clear - my goal is lifetime abstinence. I am just finding it easier to use, then put as much space as possible in between my next date of using, and continue to add space, hopefully until I get to the point of either complete abstinence [as you recommend], or to the point where I'm not even thinking about it, and not concerned.

I dread to think that everything bad in my life could converge on me at the same time again...but I will have many checks and balances in place to deal with that, should that happen. For example, all of my paychecks go directly to my mother's bank account from now on, and she barely allows me $10 a month to spend, lol! I'm joking, but only slightly - she is really not allowing me very much of my money at all, and I put that measure [which seems extreme] in place so that I would not - literally, COULD NOT - spend my money on a relapse.

It is unrealistic for me to abstain further than I currently do. I could make it a point to try it, don't get me wrong...but I know it would just put me into a pit of depression until I finally cave and use. I already have tried that, and that's what happens. Again, with methadone or Suboxone, it would be a different story. But to quit completely as I have, is really not the same thing as using either of those substances to mask withdrawal.

I feel ya. Opiates/opioids are my true love. Started at the age of 13 because my mom would give them to me for my migraines. Nothing else has worked so perfectly. I too get paranoid on weed/shrooms. MDMA and heavy use of alcohol was my thing back in like 2010 - 2012 but it's so taxing on the body it gets tiring. Accidentally got alcohol poisoning twice. Woke up in the hospital both times. The smell alone (even hand sanitizer) makes me gag. I guess that's a good reflex. I don't know how many times I've OD'd on heroin. At least 20. One time I woke up and I lost my hearing for 24 hours. I called 911 and just kept repeating my address because I couldn't hear them. They kept me for observation for a couple days but it was very strange. I've OD'd on meth twice. Now that's a scary OD because you're conscious and fully aware. Body goes cold, eyes start darting left and right, start convulsing in the arms and legs and eventually seizure and the familiar waking up on the floor dazed and confused.

I suffer from Depression, Anxiety, PTSD and Insomnia and the occasional psychosis (if something terrible happens in my life like when my ex-wife left me and threw me out on the street for 8 months and kept everything, including my dog). All I'm prescribed now is Gabapentin and Klonopin. The Gabapentin relaxes my nerves about half the time I take it and I use the Klonopin for sleep because all I have are nightmares since my mom passed away in 2007 and she was my world. I have 4 suicide attempts under my belt but those were over a decade ago. I've been clean from all the good stuff for almost 3 years now. It's hard. Very hard. When I run into a catastrophe in life I go numb an then I either have SI or HI and I turn myself into the psych ward. All the staff there know me lol...

Reading through your story, I couldn't help but pick up on a self-fulfilling prophecy vibe. Be careful not to sabotage yourself when things get hard. You're smart enough to know right from wrong so I won't lecture you, just wanted to warn you about the lingering prophecies. They have been my downfall many times. When things feel like a living nightmare, I'll listen to some Depeche Mode and just crave the shit out of my true love. But I let time pass, and if I need help, I reach out. And if I need to cry my eyes out when all of the bad memories flood through my head, that's what I do.

I would get a little more personal, but some bad shit happened today and I don't know if I'm able to talk about my demons without them appearing right now.

Hope you're having a good day. :)

would like to engage with this/you but only have a minute right now

for now I will just point out - there are an awful lot of 'ifs' in your thinking and to me it smacks of elaborate and well constructed denial (something I am well versed in personally)

I feel ya. Opiates/opioids are my true love. Started at the age of 13 because my mom would give them to me for my migraines. Nothing else has worked so perfectly. I too get paranoid on weed/shrooms. MDMA and heavy use of alcohol was my thing back in like 2010 - 2012 but it's so taxing on the body it gets tiring. Accidentally got alcohol poisoning twice. Woke up in the hospital both times. The smell alone (even hand sanitizer) makes me gag. I guess that's a good reflex. I don't know how many times I've OD'd on heroin. At least 20. One time I woke up and I lost my hearing for 24 hours. I called 911 and just kept repeating my address because I couldn't hear them. They kept me for observation for a couple days but it was very strange. I've OD'd on meth twice. Now that's a scary OD because you're conscious and fully aware. Body goes cold, eyes start darting left and right, start convulsing in the arms and legs and eventually seizure and the familiar waking up on the floor dazed and confused.

I suffer from Depression, Anxiety, PTSD and Insomnia and the occasional psychosis (if something terrible happens in my life like when my ex-wife left me and threw me out on the street for 8 months and kept everything, including my dog). All I'm prescribed now is Gabapentin and Klonopin. The Gabapentin relaxes my nerves about half the time I take it and I use the Klonopin for sleep because all I have are nightmares since my mom passed away in 2007 and she was my world. I have 4 suicide attempts under my belt but those were over a decade ago. I've been clean from all the good stuff for almost 3 years now. It's hard. Very hard. When I run into a catastrophe in life I go numb an then I either have SI or HI and I turn myself into the psych ward. All the staff there know me lol...

Reading through your story, I couldn't help but pick up on a self-fulfilling prophecy vibe. Be careful not to sabotage yourself when things get hard. You're smart enough to know right from wrong so I won't lecture you, just wanted to warn you about the lingering prophecies. They have been my downfall many times. When things feel like a living nightmare, I'll listen to some Depeche Mode and just crave the shit out of my true love. But I let time pass, and if I need help, I reach out. And if I need to cry my eyes out when all of the bad memories flood through my head, that's what I do.

I would get a little more personal, but some bad shit happened today and I don't know if I'm able to talk about my demons without them appearing right now.

Hope you're having a good day. :)

It's not really any of my business lol. You do have some mental health issues that you've listed but in a way I feel like the substance use ironically holds you hostage to your PSTD. I get how your mom is your world to you and I have yet to go through the death of a parent, but grief doesn't have to be a life-long battle of constantly redosing anti-anxiety meds to fend off the negative emotions. It's just going to fucking suck no matter what perspective but one day when you are more comfortable facing it you can overcome her loss in a way that doesn't have to a) make her "no longer your world" or b) look upon her loss as a purely negative concept that you will never become comfortable with or accept. Anxiety is a real thing... but after you've been in a million situations where you feel like you're on the top of a cliff and it feels exactly the same as "holy shit I'm falling off," you in time come to realize you never die from that feeling. Which helped me a lot. And for some reason stimulants do not give me any paranoia at all anymore. This could be a very very bad thing though because I have no idea what that means. :p

I just don't think she'd want you to suffer because she's gone or hold you back from what she would want you to come. Oxy was my favorite break-up companion but then I was just left both dopesick and heartbroken at the same time. Drugs prolong the process of grieving and in my experience literally do absolutely nothing to relieve one of the trauma. But I'm just a stranger on the forum eating suboxone strips so here we are. Btw your ex-wife seems like kinda a bish for taking a "man's" best friend away from him. Did she take the drugs too? ;(

Last edited:

Same here. Opiates just make me feel right. Like there was always something missing with my life and opiates was that final piece of the puzzle. I get extreme anxiety with other drugs and benzos just make me tired and has no recreational effect. Alcohol feels like I am poisoning my entire body and mind and I feel awful on it. Sadly opiates are the only things that work for me.

Opiates = suffering in paradise. You want to get out but don't want to. You want to be clean but want to use. There's never any winning and it never seems to get less controversial the more time you spend away from them. I want oxycodone badly. Very badly lol. But I don't want to ever withdraw again and the price is ridiculous. So I'm holding off for my blessed adderall.

Opiates are the drug I can't form an opinion on. The addiction is the best and worst thing to happen to one. OP I think it would be best to wait until he has oxycodone and you can match your tolerance with whatever dose is pleasing. But resist using oxy daily and if he doesn't have it just hold off really. I wish I had done this but here I am.

Agreed! Despite how dark things were on some days during my opiate addiction throughout 2017 and 2018 [both full years, with the rise being lately 2016, and the fall starting in early 2019], I was also on Cloud 9 for basically every one of those days, so I can't complain!

All in all, I can't really say too many horrible things about those times. They were obviously some of the most euphoric in my life. That being said, for a sustainable and responsible model, I prefer my once every 49 days usage that I maintained from 2007 through to 2016, before I creeped up on daily use, following my addiction, followed by decline, bringing me to the current day.

I think for the time being, it may be too optimistic to think I an wait 49 days in between usages. I think I will shoot for 1-4 times a month, landing anywhere that is comfortable, then gradually push that to once a month, and maybe try once every two months, and eventually take a year off, if I find that goal to be realistic.

I'm not going to push myself, but the goal would be maximum once every two weeks. And that is ONLY because I am just still coming out of addiction. Otherwise, I would aim for once a month or two - or as close to abstinence as possible.

Once every two weeks is acceptable to me, given my past, but I am always making the goal more space between dates that I use.

That being said, Canada REALLY can't afford to ONE BILLION DOLLARS PER DAY in deficit spending! Our economy will crumble if that happens, and that is leaving me a bit depressed for sure. Absolutely more depressed than whatever the consequences of the virus itself are. To be honest, if the economy was in good shape, I would say that I will get over the post-acute withdrawal phase, no problems! But I have multiple friends who are suffering, putting on body weight, getting into spousal disputes, breakups, etc, all because of Covid-19.

It's not really any of my business lol. You do have some mental health issues that you've listed but in a way I feel like the substance use ironically holds you hostage to your PSTD. I get how your mom is your world to you and I have yet to go through the death of a parent, but grief doesn't have to be a life-long battle of constantly redosing anti-anxiety meds to fend off the negative emotions. It's just going to fucking suck no matter what perspective but one day when you are more comfortable facing it you can overcome her loss in a way that doesn't have to a) make her "no longer your world" or b) look upon her loss as a purely negative concept that you will never become comfortable with or accept. Anxiety is a real thing... but after you've been in a million situations where you feel like you're on the top of a cliff and it feels exactly the same as "holy shit I'm falling off," you in time come to realize you never die from that feeling. Which helped me a lot. And for some reason stimulants do not give me any paranoia at all anymore. This could be a very very bad thing though because I have no idea what that means. :p

I just don't think she'd want you to suffer because she's gone or hold you back from what she would want you to come. Oxy was my favorite break-up companion but then I was just left both dopesick and heartbroken at the same time. Drugs prolong the process of grieving and in my experience literally do absolutely nothing to relieve one of the trauma. But I'm just a stranger on the forum eating suboxone strips so here we are. Btw your ex-ife seems like kinda a bish for taking a "man's" best friend away from him. Did she take the drugs too? ;(
I use the Klonopin for my nightmares because that's the only time I can't defend myself. I still relive trauma and I have disgusting, morbid dreams. Most of my dreams are either me being slowly executed, or I'm drowning someone in the ocean, or I'm stuck on top of a huge building that's swaying in the wind and I have no grip and I slide off the building and fall to my death.

My most disturbing dream: I was in the military and we were in a foreign country, I think it was Brazil. I had about 10 soldiers with me and all of a sudden we got swarmed and they lined us up and put us on our knees and took a chainsaw and just went from the end of the line and started taking heads off. I ended up being the last one to die. I woke up out of breath and dripping sweat. Shit was crazy...

[This story takes course over 5 years]
I love my mom, I miss her, but I accept that she's gone. When I was 13, my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. My sisters kicked her out of the house, saying that my mom was "too much on their plate". They gave me the option of staying or leaving with my mom. I packed my shit, grabbed my dog and we were gone. Took a train from Cali to Oregon where my brother helped us get an apartment because he lived in Oregon and knew an old landlord. That's where my drug use started.

My mom was on hospice (the people who make sure you're comfortable before you die). She was prescribed (not all at once) Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, liquid Morphine, Fentanyl, Ativan, Klonopin, Xanax. She started off giving me a pill every other day for my migraines. I took care of her by myself. Took her to doctor and radiation appointments, luckily the hospital she went to was only a few blocks away. I had no friends. I didn't go to school. I just had my mom and my dog. My mom was very religious (Christian) and I grew up Christian as well. I took care of her by myself for 5 years. Watching my best friend slowly rot away in agonizing pain, for years, took my religion from me. I remember sitting in her bed with her most days and watching M*A*S*H, Matlock, all her favorite shows. My addiction went from one pill every other day to grams upon grams per day, consistently, for 5 years straight. I didn't even know what 'withdrawal' meant at the time, but I'll never forget the 3 weeks I spent going through my first withdrawal. Not just the dosage of the drug that you're on matters, time is a bigger factor and I had plenty of both.

My dog had a cyst on her head that we never had the money to get checked out. It was about the size of a golf ball. One day my mom and I were headed back from getting some groceries and we walk into the apartment and there's blood EVERYWHERE. On the floor, on all of the walls, on the TV...everywhere. I assume it was from her trying to shake off all the blood running down her face. We took her to an emergency Vet. They bandaged her head, gave her some puppy pain pills and antibiotics. About 3 days later, gangrene set in and she was in a lot of pain. I didn't have the balls to watch her die (we had her for 16 years, and I'm a dog person). My mom had to take her in to be put down. I remember sobbing in bed for a week.

My mom started acting kind of strange about a month later. She started hallucinating, so I took her to the hospital to get checked out. Turns out the cancer had spread to her brain. She was still lucid from time to time for about a month, but then she fell into a coma. My sisters decided to come and visit for the first time since they kicked her out. They had power of attorney over my mom because I was 17 at the time and all my sisters are older than me. They decided to bring her back to Cali. I had nowhere to go, so I went with them. We got to my sister's apartment around 7 or 8pm. We all went to sleep. The VERY next morning, I feel someone tapping me. I woke up and my sister is crying and throwing up and telling me to come say goodbye to mom. I came into the room and held mom's hand, feeling her pulse. About 5 minutes later, she was finally gone. No more pain and suffering. But I died too. A huge chunk of me.

Everyone was crying and holding each other, but my eyes were on the bottle of liquid morphine. I waited til everyone left the room and I grabbed it and chugged the whole thing and then went for a walk, hoping to die somewhere along the road. I had a secret plan that no one knew. When my mom goes, I go. It almost worked.

I didn't realize it at the time, but I started putting pieces of a puzzle together. Why did my sisters show up? Why did my mom die the very next day she was in their custody? HOW did they know she was going to die? I didn't find out for years that they each received $100k from my mom's life-insurance policy. And it's not until I watched my first friend OD that I realized my mom died exactly the same way. To this day, I've never confronted them about it. We're estranged. We maybe text a few words on holidays. I know they killed her. I just don't know whose idea it was and I don't know who administered it.

But anyway. She was everything to me. I see my life in two phases. The phase before mom was gone and the phase after. And I lose a little piece of myself each time someone I love dies. I lost my father as well, but we weren't very close. He would beat my mom and beat all of us and went to prison for molesting my sisters when we were all young. I remember him setting my wrist on fire when I was like 4 years old. But it's all over. I never thought I'd be where I am. I'm in a better place now, but my demons are always breathing down my neck.

I use the Klonopin for my nightmares because that's the only time I can't defend myself. I still relive trauma and I have disgusting, morbid dreams. Most of my dreams are either me being slowly executed, or I'm drowning someone in the ocean, or I'm stuck on top of a huge building that's swaying in the wind and I have no grip and I slide off the building and fall to my death.

My most disturbing dream: I was in the military and we were in a foreign country, I think it was Brazil. I had about 10 soldiers with me and all of a sudden we got swarmed and they lined us up and put us on our knees and took a chainsaw and just went from the end of the line and started taking heads off. I ended up being the last one to die. I woke up out of breath and dripping sweat. Shit was crazy...

[This story takes course over 5 years]
I love my mom, I miss her, but I accept that she's gone. When I was 13, my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. My sisters kicked her out of the house, saying that my mom was "too much on their plate". They gave me the option of staying or leaving with my mom. I packed my shit, grabbed my dog and we were gone. Took a train from Cali to Oregon where my brother helped us get an apartment because he lived in Oregon and knew an old landlord. That's where my drug use started.

My mom was on hospice (the people who make sure you're comfortable before you die). She was prescribed (not all at once) Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, liquid Morphine, Fentanyl, Ativan, Klonopin, Xanax. She started off giving me a pill every other day for my migraines. I took care of her by myself. Took her to doctor and radiation appointments, luckily the hospital she went to was only a few blocks away. I had no friends. I didn't go to school. I just had my mom and my dog. My mom was very religious (Christian) and I grew up Christian as well. I took care of her by myself for 5 years. Watching my best friend slowly rot away in agonizing pain, for years, took my religion from me. I remember sitting in her bed with her most days and watching M*A*S*H, Matlock, all her favorite shows. My addiction went from one pill every other day to grams upon grams per day, consistently, for 5 years straight. I didn't even know what 'withdrawal' meant at the time, but I'll never forget the 3 weeks I spent going through my first withdrawal. Not just the dosage of the drug that you're on matters, time is a bigger factor and I had plenty of both.

My dog had a cyst on her head that we never had the money to get checked out. It was about the size of a golf ball. One day my mom and I were headed back from getting some groceries and we walk into the apartment and there's blood EVERYWHERE. On the floor, on all of the walls, on the TV...everywhere. I assume it was from her trying to shake off all the blood running down her face. We took her to an emergency Vet. They bandaged her head, gave her some puppy pain pills and antibiotics. About 3 days later, gangrene set in and she was in a lot of pain. I didn't have the balls to watch her die (we had her for 16 years, and I'm a dog person). My mom had to take her in to be put down. I remember sobbing in bed for a week.

My mom started acting kind of strange about a month later. She started hallucinating, so I took her to the hospital to get checked out. Turns out the cancer had spread to her brain. She was still lucid from time to time for about a month, but then she fell into a coma. My sisters decided to come and visit for the first time since they kicked her out. They had power of attorney over my mom because I was 17 at the time and all my sisters are older than me. They decided to bring her back to Cali. I had nowhere to go, so I went with them. We got to my sister's apartment around 7 or 8pm. We all went to sleep. The VERY next morning, I feel someone tapping me. I woke up and my sister is crying and throwing up and telling me to come say goodbye to mom. I came into the room and held mom's hand, feeling her pulse. About 5 minutes later, she was finally gone. No more pain and suffering. But I died too. A huge chunk of me.

Everyone was crying and holding each other, but my eyes were on the bottle of liquid morphine. I waited til everyone left the room and I grabbed it and chugged the whole thing and then went for a walk, hoping to die somewhere along the road. I had a secret plan that no one knew. When my mom goes, I go. It almost worked.

I didn't realize it at the time, but I started putting pieces of a puzzle together. Why did my sisters show up? Why did my mom die the very next day she was in their custody? HOW did they know she was going to die? I didn't find out for years that they each received $100k from my mom's life-insurance policy. And it's not until I watched my first friend OD that I realized my mom died exactly the same way. To this day, I've never confronted them about it. We're estranged. We maybe text a few words on holidays. I know they killed her. I just don't know whose idea it was and I don't know who administered it.

But anyway. She was everything to me. I see my life in two phases. The phase before mom was gone and the phase after. And I lose a little piece of myself each time someone I love dies. I lost my father as well, but we weren't very close. He would beat my mom and beat all of us and went to prison for molesting my sisters when we were all young. I remember him setting my wrist on fire when I was like 4 years old. But it's all over. I never thought I'd be where I am. I'm in a better place now, but my demons are always breathing down my neck.

Sorry I read this a while ago. I think that anyone would have mental issues with that kind of trauma. The perpetual nightmares make me think that the dreams manifest your past in a way that reflect you're still recovering from it and probably will be for a while. Thanks for sharing your story. There's sadly a lot of people out there (i theorize probably half of the people on the planet) who are dealing with some sort of sexual assault/and or abuse trauma. There's no guidebook we're left with when we're born to deal with these kinds of situations. Trauma counselors and therapy helps--but you're still left with a lot to unpack on your own. The way your one sister was acting makes me think that her in particular was probably egged on by the others in the plot but wasn't fully ready to deal with what happened.. or maybe they saw her condition towards the end and assumed it was a mercy situation but to not include you in any of the plans especially as the primary caretaker was pretty fucked. I don't know what your life situation is like currently but you should never forget your past or let it control you. At times we all let our past get the best of us. You're far away from any of the events that occurred during that time period so you might as well try to make the best of what's to come. As shitty as life can be sometimes we're all going to miss it when we're gone because we only to get to be ourselves one time.

Is there any way to determine what the potential overdose quantity is for an adult male using nasal/insufflated hydromorphone?

I'm going to offer some advice for you because I truly believe you're trying to be safe and not push the limits.

There is no reliable way to calculate this for one specific individual. Even using the LD50 won't help you much, but would theoretically at least give you a frame of reference to avoid at all costs, assuming you have pharmaceutical, 100% pure pills with a known substance in them.

A better way to go about this would be to look at the recommend dosage for opioid naive individuals, typically listed in something like mg/kg, calculate that dose for your weight, and you now have a safe starting point with references on both ends of the spectrum to help guide you.

With all that said, there are never any guarantees, but if you're not mixing with other drugs or alcohol and aren't allergic to opioids, then the recommended dosage for opioid naive individuals is about as safe of a starting point you can find.

Sorry I read this a while ago. I think that anyone would have mental issues with that kind of trauma. The perpetual nightmares make me think that the dreams manifest your past in a way that reflect you're still recovering from it and probably will be for a while. Thanks for sharing your story. There's sadly a lot of people out there (i theorize probably half of the people on the planet) who are dealing with some sort of sexual assault/and or abuse trauma. There's no guidebook we're left with when we're born to deal with these kinds of situations. Trauma counselors and therapy helps--but you're still left with a lot to unpack on your own. The way your one sister was acting makes me think that her in particular was probably egged on by the others in the plot but wasn't fully ready to deal with what happened.. or maybe they saw her condition towards the end and assumed it was a mercy situation but to not include you in any of the plans especially as the primary caretaker was pretty fucked. I don't know what your life situation is like currently but you should never forget your past or let it control you. At times we all let our past get the best of us. You're far away from any of the events that occurred during that time period so you might as well try to make the best of what's to come. As shitty as life can be sometimes we're all going to miss it when we're gone because we only to get to be ourselves one time.
Thanks for the support.

Life today has its ups and downs, but nothing I can't handle. I'm currently engaged to a girl I've been with for almost 3 years (same as my clean time). We're scheduled to marry next September. She has an 8 year-old son which has taken some time to get used to. He's a good kid and needs a father-figure and protection. He's a little shit head sometimes but all kids are...lol

Life has been pretty boring but I'm glad I'm not always looking over my shoulder anymore.

I'm going to offer some advice for you because I truly believe you're trying to be safe and not push the limits.

There is no reliable way to calculate this for one specific individual. Even using the LD50 won't help you much, but would theoretically at least give you a frame of reference to avoid at all costs, assuming you have pharmaceutical, 100% pure pills with a known substance in them.

A better way to go about this would be to look at the recommend dosage for opioid naive individuals, typically listed in something like mg/kg, calculate that dose for your weight, and you now have a safe starting point with references on both ends of the spectrum to help guide you.

With all that said, there are never any guarantees, but if you're not mixing with other drugs or alcohol and aren't allergic to opioids, then the recommended dosage for opioid naive individuals is about as safe of a starting point you can find.

Thank you, Deru. It means a lot. I noticed you were a moderator after reading your post, and I suspect you have a lot to do here not limited to exclusively reading and replying, so I appreciate you taking the time.

On nearly a daily basis, I read threads on Bluelight [I definitely read here far more than I post], and when I clicked on my new notifications, your post was the first one that I was brought to.

I am happy that you can tell that I am trying to be safe. It didn't occur to me that someone else could find this thread and attempt to use it to push the limits. That makes me sad, but I guess that is the nature of information on drug safety being available - even if that information was made available with harm-reduction being the sole intention.

Opiates are - fortunately or unfortunately - the only drug or substance suitable to my biochemistry. The saddest drug that doesn't work for me would be marijuana/THC. I would say that I actually get so paranoid using it, that I consistently think that I am dying. Once I ate a marijuana edible, and I assumed that it absolutely must have been laced. Sadly, that makes marijuana out of the question for me. Kratom works for me, and I feel that either Red or Green Bali Kratom produces euphoria quite similar to opiates.

I have never used any drug in a way that I would have an overdose - at least that I am aware of. I would say the worst thing I have done would be, perhaps, taken 2mg of Xanax or another benzodiazepine one day, then taken an opiate 12-24 hours later, not thinking much about it, because it appeared that the effects had worn off. Perhaps, in reality, there was enough quantity of benzodiazepine left in my system for me to consider not using the opiate until a full 24 hours had cleared.

Aside from accidents like that [which I can't even say for certain I actually did], I am a responsible user of drugs.

I just get very, very scared of overdose. For example, when I used Suboxone for the first time in my life this past July, I had used 2.8mg within 24 hours of trying it. My rationale was - the lowest quantity of Suboxone available is 2mg. So HOW could just over that quantity be risky? I did the first 0.5mg sublingually, and then did the remainder intranasally, insufflating extremely small lines every 2-3 hours. To give an idea of how small the lines were - they were JUST big enough that I could tell the taste of the Suboxone by way of nasal administration.

I was so scared that I was overdosing, that when two of my friends showed up, I immediately told them exactly what I took. I explained that I was at a point in quitting opiates that I was essentially back to a virginal tolerance, and I told them if anything happened to me, it was because of Suboxone. Luckily, I had received it in the original package, with the name on it, so they would have known exactly what to do, had something happened. Another hour passed, and I felt fine [I felt great actually, lol], and I was glad I told them what happened. I am just on the cusp of being autistic, and I much prefer telling people the truth, as I think it always comes out for everyone in the end anyway.

I think the big take-home point I gleaned from reading your great post is that mixing drugs is the major issue. I believe I read somewhere that a huge number of all overdoses - maybe something like 85% were either from combined/multiple drug use [polydrug use], or perhaps that 85% death/mortality statistic was the sum of both [1] drug users who used two or more drugs at the same time, or [2] intravenous drug use. It makes sense to me that once a drug is in a person's system by way of intravenous needle, it cannot leave by [for example] vomiting.

My example above of using 2.8mg Suboxone [0.5mg sublingual, 2.3mg nasal] over a 24-hour period and thinking I was overdosing is extremely typical of me. As another example, I have never used more than 26mg of methadone over a 24-hour period when I have used it recreationally. At one point, I took around that much within the first six hours, and at the 12-hour mark, I was terrified that I took too much, and would overdose, even though I had 3-4 Narcan/Naloxone nasal sprays [4mg each] in my home. And I was scared despite having previously learned that even teenage girls can generally safely take 15mg [PLEASE correct this figure if it is wrong - I would hate to put that on the internet and for it to be read by a teenage girl, and for her to be in an unsafe situation as a result]. An official website about methadone here in Ontario [the OATC website] stated that 50mg of methadone could cause an overdose in a non-opioid tolerant adult.

^ If those two examples give you an idea of how scared I get, and if you can use that example to extrapolate to give you an idea of how scared I get worrying about overdosing, you may have an idea whether or not my OD fears are remotely rooted in being rational [or - as I suspect - not].

And I find marijuana far more frightening than any of this - and I find THC edibles to be even more scary yet. And I can never, ever talk myself out of my THC fears. Oh well - such is my biochemistry. It may be my autism, but I don't know. It is what it is.

Deru - I think that one conclusion I have come to this week, in part thanks to your post, is that I should no longer take black market benzodiazepines. This year in Ontario, something called "Flualprazolam" was found to be present in pills presented/stamped as Xanax [Alprazolam]. I think this is just a bad idea, because it only takes one pill with a disproportionately high amount of something like fentanyl [or more concerning - carfentanil] in it to die from it. I heard a story of a police officer who died simply from TOUCHING carfentanil. I think I need to stop doing this - and for that matter, simply stop taking benzodiazepines outright [for perspective, I probably use around 5mg of Xanax per MONTH...but this is NOT a dependence I want to form...especially after hearing Jordan Peterson's plight with benzodiazepine addiction on YouTube.

*HARM REDUCTION - The following information is for anyone reading this thread for informational or educational purposes: fear of overdose, even in scenarios where it is not "technically" likely to occur is all the more reason to get a NARCAN NASAL SPRAY [or several of them], an item/product that I mentioned above. Especially here in Ontario, where they are available for free at all pharmacies. NARCAN is the brand name for the Naloxone sprays given out here; Naloxone being the antidote to a full opiate/opioid agonist, assuming the person is found before suffering severe respiratory [CNS] depression sets in [not every opiate overdose can be reversed, unfortunately]. Naloxone is the chemical name for Narcan. I implore you to acquire several of these, to inform people what drug or drugs that you took if possible [ideally, DRUG - singular - as combined drug use may pose additional risks, depending on the drugs being combined], and to teach them how to administer the Narcan on you, and under what circumstances to do so. I wish drug use didn't have the stigma that it does to so many, which causes some people to use drugs privately - possibly even most people - which has no doubt resulted in many deaths over the years, when simply letting someone know could have saved those lives.* :(

Lastly, to everyone else who posted replies to me above:

THANK YOU! I am so grateful for your detailed and compassionate replies, and I read all replies to my posts, and I hope to reply to all of them - ideally, while not spamming or making posts that are too long [did I mention that I write a lot? Lol]. That is something which is a serious problem of mine, and probably genetic...and hopefully I can keep it under control here. Haha, who am I kidding? But again - THANK YOU...everyone. It means a lot to me. :)

I should start off all my posts with: "Beware - autistic hypochondriasis coming..."

That said, I have five questions:

[1] As far as safety is concerned, if Suboxone produces a euphoric effect for me, would using Suboxone [nasal] be safer than using a full opiate agonist like hydromorphone? Is Suboxone generally considered to be safer than most opiate pills? I ask because I find Suboxone to be very strong.

[2] Are Suboxone overdoses common, [2a], alone, or [2b] combined with benzodiazepines [again, I always worry about 1mg of lorazepam that I took the day before, or the black market and thus uncertain benzos which are on available on the streets where I am.

[3] What is the exact antidote to Suboxone? I read that Narcan/Naloxone does work in some cases. Does anyone know what cases those happen to be?

[4] What is the specific way to describe the risk for combining opiates and benzos [or multiple depressants in general]? If a person like myself whose tolerance is now almost virginal again would find 40mg of oxycodone to be exceedingly euphoric, and 1mg of Xanax was taken with it, would that be risky? Is there a rule of thumb for this, such as "The maximum you normally take of Depressant A is only safe with the minimum amount you normally take of Depressant B"?

[5] Does a person go from just feeling euphoric, not even nodding, not puking, and not being tired at all, to just dropping dead? I understand that a person can just die at any time, I suppose, but what I mean is that as far as overdoses are concerned, can a person be writing posts as coherently as I am now, not having any sort of breathing difficulties, and just feeling like they used a little more than they should have used, and just drop dead? Or would a person routinely be having issues with vomiting, and feel themselves getting extremely tired, and sort of feel it coming?

More of my personal concerns/worries [feel free to ignore, and once again - I apologize for writing so much!!]:

As I've mentioned before, I only use substances through oral or intranasal administration. I understand that intravenous drug use is a different animal, and last week I was considering suppository administration...but then I decided that I just don't want to go down that road of find another way to administer a drug...because I could see it going down a road where I get curious about intravenous use, as unlikely as that is [13 years of opiate use so far, and I have not done that, or even thought about it...but then, I had never thought about suppository administration either ["plugging", right?].

In my case, I NEVER combine depressants, but I do find myself in situations where I took one the day BEFORE...and I panic and say "OMG...is the half life of this one 72 hours? Since it's only been 33 hours, doesn't that mean I still have more than half of that 2mg Xanax in my system" [which, by the way, did not even REMOTELY put me to sleep the day before, so then I realize that it was actually really only 0.5mg pressed as 2mg, if not even less...but then I start to panic because I really don't know exactly what I put in my system]. FYI, to be clear - this is why I'm going to refill my prescription for lorazepam [Ativan] that my doctor gave me and be done with black market benzodiazepines. If anyone has any horror stories on them, please let me know.

Maybe I need to be scared straight - as rarely as I do benzodiazepines at all or at any quantity, I still likely have at least 1mg of black market Xanax ["Xanax"] once a week. I think for my peace of mind, I need to be completely done with that.

Our top doctor here in Canada said that Covid-19 has led to toxicity issues in Canada's drug supply. It's depressing to think that there are people who drop dead, all because they took a drug that was not what they thought it was. Like the news story in February of the Belgian woman who drank one sip of wine which was actually MDMA, and dropped dead immediately. :(

I'm sorry if anyone here is bothered by my autistic hypochondria.