Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Hydromorphone - Experienced - After long-term Suboxone

jimborg

Bluelighter
After a moderately disappointing experience with hydromorphone this weekend I thought I would document it to perhaps prevent someone else in the same situation from wasting expensive drug.

History: Long-term Suboxone therapy, 4mg per day for 18 months taken everyday like clockwork, sublingually with zero relapses in that time.

Substance in question: Hydromorphone 8mg imprint 54 403, white scored tablet, Roxane pharmaceuticals. Took 40 mg over 16.5 hours.

T +00:00 - It has been 72 hours since my last dose of Suboxone. I'm experiencing moderate withdrawal symptoms - primarily anxiety, agitation/restlessness, sweating and muscle aches.

Thinking this means I have waited long enough (and based on some of the timeframes I have read), I crush 4mg of hydromorphone in a pill crusher I got from Wal-Mart (great investment) and insufflate it in a single line.

This is my first time insufflating this drug and I'm amazed at how smoothly it goes down. I'm enjoying the bitter post-nasal drip. I just obtained 15 tablets and am waiting for rigs and filters to arrive in the mail, so this seems like the next best option from a bioavailability standpoint.

I go lay in bed and watch some Family Guy on the DVR waiting for the opiate high to kick in.

T +00:30 - Thirty minutes later (one episode) and I'm feeling a slight lessening of my withdrawal symptoms, but certainly nothing close to euphoria. I decide to crush and insufflate the other half-tablet (another 4mg). I go back to watching TV.

T +00:15 - Now I'm feeling a slight warmth. The withdrawal symptoms are completely gone. Still not what I remember as opiate euphoria. I use some nasal decongestant nose spray to try and wash any remaining drug out of my nose and hopefully increase absorption.

T + 00:30 - The nose spray seems to have helped a little bit, and I feel as though I've absorbed more drug. The warmth has spread some more, I have a bit of that lovely itchiness and I have a nice sense of well-being. Still, there was no rush, there is no true euphoria, and I'm mainly just tired.

T +01:30 - At this point I'm mainly just very tired. Still have a general sense of well-being, but I'm kind of bummed out that I didn't get that full-on total mu-agonist sensation that I remember from a year and a half ago. However, I don't want to waste more tablets at this point while I'm still waiting for rigs/filters to arrive in the mail when I'm unsure what the full effect will even be.

T +09:30 - I wake up in the morning and lo and behold, the withdrawal symptoms have returned to a certain extent. Restless, sore muscles, and anxious with a twinge of dysphoria to remind me that the last night's experiment was mostly a failure. Going against the rational side of me that is saying to wait a couple of days until the withdrawal is in full-gear, I decide to try my luck again, this time insufflating an entire 8mg tablet at once.

T +09:45 - No rush, hardly feeling anything (probably didn't wait long enough for the effects to kick in), I say to myself (irrationally) fuck this insufflation, my nose is out to fucking get me and refuses to absorb narcotics the way I want it to! So I swallow another 8mg tablet for good measure, thinking at the very least I'll get something out of this experience, even though oral BA is garbage.

T +10:00 - Finally, I've got a hint of that full-fledged opiate glow. All worries and anxiety, soreness, agitation, etc. are gone. My head is pleasantly floaty, and I feel energized. I go out for lunch with my wife and go shopping for some new clothes. The entire 3 hours we're out and about is pleasant. I'm talkative and feeling nice.

However, this is still nothing compared to how I used to feel after popping 40mg of hydrocodone a year and a half ago before I started Suboxone.

T +16:00 - The drug I took earlier this morning has completely worn off and I'm feeling low again with a bit of agitation. Once again, against all good reason, I decide to insufflate 2 more tablets (16 mg) and that will be IT for the weekend. The remaining 10 tablets I will save for when my rigs arrive so that I can use them for this (http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=455786) project.

I crush the two tablets in my pill crusher, make them into two fat lines, and up the schnozz they go. I'm still amazed at how smoothly they go down, and at how my nose isn't stuffy or anything like it is when I do coke. I sit down at the computer to peruse the internet and play a little WoW.

T +16:10 - This time I'm definitely feeling (I think) the full experience of insufflating hydromorphone. I feel a warmth in my chest, that floaty feeling from head to toe and am getting the opiate itches. I feel great, and once again energized. This is why I love opiates. In the right dose, for me, they're very stimulatory. I guess in general I tend to be somewhat lazy, with a general malaise that often keeps me from completing tasks or achieving goals. Right now I feel like I could do anything.

Still, I'm a bit underwhelmed. I expected more from such a potent opiate. Some part of me still blames the Suboxone.

T +16:30 - The experience is peaking for me. Not much to say about it except that this is basically how I remember opiates, except still, not quite as intense as when I used to pop 4 Norco. I'm wondering how long I should wait (after my rigs arrive) to try a shot of this stuff IV.

It will be at least another 72 hours until my gear gets here, and I'm going to go that whole time opiate free. I'm thinking by that time the Suboxone withdrawal (physical) will be over, and I should be in fairly major withdrawal from the hydromorphone if anything. Since it took 16 mg intranasal to get a good sense of euphoria, and that amounts to 8 mg IV, I'm debating with myself about whether to go for a 4 mg shot or 8 mg shot first once my rigs arrive.

T +19:00 - The effects have mostly faded from the last dose of hydromorphone. I decide to take 0.5 mg of Klonopin to stave off the craving to redose. I won't bother going into detail about the effects from the Klonopin, as they aren't that interesting. It basically just sedated me, kept me from worrying about more opiates and allowed me to take a nap. I woke up feeling decent and well-rested and went about distracting myself with other things.

All in all, I'm really not impressed with insufflating hydromorphone, although I can't be sure how much of this experience was clouded from my long-term Suboxone use. I remember vividly the effects of this drug when taken IV from multiple hospital stays (I have Crohn's disease), so I know that I'm in for a treat once my gear arrives. In the meantime, I'm comfortable abstaining to keep from wasting any more. It simply didn't compare.

substancecode_hydromorphone
substancecode_pharms

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: IM

Going to post this in two separate updates because I had two different experiences, one with IM hydromorphone last night and one with IV this morning. I did all kinds of dumb shit during these experiences since I'm relatively needle-naive, so please learn from my mistakes and don't scorn them too much. ;) This first reply will be the IM experience and I'll follow that up with IV:

T +00:00 - From my 15 pill stash I'm down to 1.5 pills. That just goes to show you how hard it is to keep oneself from using this drug. Of course I've never been a model of self-restraint either... The pins and supplies have finally arrived, and I decide it's time to go down the road less traveled (more traveled?) and IV this stuff.

Since I have been insufflating 24 mg regularly for the past few days, which is supposedly bioequivalent to 12 mg IV, I decide that 8 mg is a safe dose to try. I crush one tablet finely in my trusty pill grinder. Let me just reiterate what a great investment that is for anyone who uses pills regularly. The only negative thing about it is that some of the blue plastic that the sides are made of seems to be flaking off when I'm grinding,... but those pieces are easily removed and I think that's temporary as the grinder is "broken in."

Once the pill is finely crushed, I perform the following steps:

- Draw up 1 mL of bacteriostatic water in a 10 mL syringe capped with a luer-lock needle.
- Backload the powder into the syringe.
- Cap and remove the needle and replace with a sterile 0.2 micron luer-lock filter.
- Attempt to mix the powder/water mixture inside of the syringe (this really didn't work well at all, and actually resulted in losing a little bit of liquid out of the filter).
- Push the resulting solution through the filter into a clean cup. (this was a problem because I had all kinds of air in the syringe from backloading it, which I attempted to push through the dry filter... really dumb)
- Wanting to be thorough, I sucked the liquid back through the filter and pushed it through a few more times. Again, this was unnecessary and dumb. I will go over a much better procedure in the next reply on the IV experience.

What I finally ended up with was around 65-70 units of crystal-clear liquid in my clean cup, which I drew up in a 1cc insulin syringe. I'm fairly certain that I wasted a lot of drug during this process, so it's almost certain that I had significantly less than 8 mg of hydromorphone left in the syringe.

Now I attempt to IV the drug. My time is somewhat limited as my wife will be home soon and she and I don't exactly see eye-to-eye on the role of drugs in a healthy life. Let me begin by saying that I have extremely hard to find veins, and that has always been the case. They have stumped many a nurse over the years, to the point where one nurse had to go get a supervising physician just to draw blood. I'm not fat or anything either. Not exactly muscular, but your average, 27-year old, out-of-shape, 170 lb. white boy.

That being said, the vein that most stands out on my body is on the back of my left hand (I'm left-handed). So I figure I'll give that a go. I'm using a 29g Terumo, 1cc, 1/2" insulin syringe. I prep the site with an alcohol pad, and insert the needle bevel-up at a 30 degree angle facing towards my body. Once the needle has pierced the surface, I draw back a little to create a suction, and advance the needle. Nothing. What a pain in the ass... The vein either rolled or something, I really have no idea. In the process of advancing it I had inserted the needle almost entirely under the skin, which I realize was way too far,... perhaps I went straight through the vein.

I withdraw the needle at which point I notice a tiny drop of blood is inside the syringe... not sure if that means I was in the vein at some point or what,... who knows. But, this was my first time attempting to IV anything, so I chalk it up to lack of experience and move on. I decide that I have time for one more attempt, so this time I go for the median antecubital vein of my right arm. This is one vein that I can actually feel pretty well, but can't see.

Once again I prep the site, insert the needle just under the surface, draw back a bit to create suction and advance. Once again, no flash. This time I decide that maybe I'm advancing too slowly and just nudging the vein till it rolls... frankly I'm clueless. I withdraw the needle, apply pressure to the site again, and backload the mixture into a fresh insulin syringe.

At this point I notice that the back of my left hand has swollen up a bit. Looks like there's two nickles stacked under the surface or something. So I apply some triple antibiotic ointment and hydrocortisone with vitamin E to both sites. At this point I'm frustrated as hell, and running out of time. This is not how I wanted this experience to go, and I know the dangers of IM'ing this kind of solution, but I don't want to waste it and frankly I've IM'd worse during my ketamine days.

I prep a site on my left deltoid with an alcohol swab, insert the needle at a 90 degree angle like a dart and inject the solution slowly. I realize that 1/2" is not ideal for an IM injection - hell it may even technically be SQ, but there was little-to-no resistance. When I withdrew the needle I applied pressure and dabbed on some of my ointment regime.

I got in the bathtub feeling disappointed and not expecting much. After all I was entirely lacking confidence in the mixing/filtering process and had no clue how much drug was even in that crystal-clear solution.

T +00:05 - Well I'll be damned... It worked. I start to feel a slight head rush. Similar to IV hydromorphone but far less intense (the only place I had IV hydromorphone was in hospital). But hey, I felt great! I call it a half-success and lay back to enjoy the experience.

T +00:10 - I'm feeling really nice now. This is the only hydromorphone I've had all day, and I actually feel almost as good as I did after insufflating 24 mg. I have the lovely full-body opiate glow and at that moment I'm completely content.

T +00:20 - My wife has gotten home at this point so we watch some TV and have dinner. I find that my appetite is ravenous and I can't get over how good the food tastes (Zaxby's... take-out chicken finger type place). I have a bit of itchiness but I've always enjoyed that side-effect for some reason. Even though it's an itch you can't make go away, the process of itching feels good. I'd say by this time the experience has peaked.

T +01:00 - An hour later I'm still feeling good. We continue to watch TV for the rest of the evening and talk about her day. I hate to sound like an asshole, but I'm so much more empathetic when I'm on opiates,... I could sit there and listen to her talk about the boring minutiae of her day for hours.

T +03:00 - The comedown from this injection was surprisingly gradual, but I can sense that it's a bit quicker than insufflating. At no time during this period did I really have the urge to redose (of course the fact that I only had 1/2 of a pill left helped matters). It's funny but around this time I find myself actually "nodding" a little. Of course, it's a little after midnight now so some of that is natural tiredness, but on top of that it actually feels like an opiate nod. I find this kind of funny considering when I dosed. I fall asleep with no trouble and don't wake up until 8:30 the next morning.

Update: IV

Okay so this is the day after my IM experience, and I decide to give IV another try (this time I succeed - yay!).

Today I go about using the last 1/2 pill in my stash, so 4mg hydromorphone. I have plenty of time today and I'm in no hurry, so I'm determined to make this happen. I've also learned from yesterday's experience, so hopefully my technique has improved.

T +00:00 - I begin by prepping my drug solution, but I proceed slightly differently from yesterday. I first grind up the 1/2 tablet in my trusty pill grinder. This time, however, I add 1.5 mL of bacteriostatic water directly into the grinder (it's watertight) and swirl it around until the drug is dissolved as fully as possible. I let it sit for about 30 seconds to make sure as much of the drug is in solution as possible.

Next I tilt the grinder sideways so the liquid is in one corner, and draw it up into a 10 mL syringe through a luer-lock needle. I turn the syringe needle-side up, cap and remove the needle, and put on the filter. Again I have made the mistake of not moistening the filter first,... I will have to rectify that next time. However, this time I am smart enough to clear the air from the syringe prior to putting on the filter. I push the solution through the filter into a clean cup.

Again with my trusty Terumo insulin syringe, I draw up the resulting crystal-clear liquid in the cup, cap it and prepare my injection site. I have to mention here, if you have never used a micron filter to filter your drugs, for the love of god do it. If you saw how beautifully clear the solution is once filtered, you'd be willing to spend an extra $3-4 for a clean shot. I swear to myself that next time I get some pills (should be getting more in a few days) I will finally pursue this project http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=455786 and make myself an IV-ready vial of hydromorphone.

I start by prepping the antecubital region of my right arm again. I can feel the damn vein so well,... feels like a little skinny water balloon just under the surface. I know it's there, I just have to hit the damn thing. I insert the needle barely under the surface, draw back a little to create suction, and advance the needle. Fuck a motherfucking duck, nothing! I'm cursed... I withdraw the needle and apply pressure.

At this point I decide that tying off can't hurt,... I didn't do it thus far because I could feel the damn vein for fuck's sake. I don't have any of those nifty latex tourniquets so I get out an old blood pressure cuff. This worked surprisingly well and I would recommend it to anyone who is stuck using a belt or something equally difficult. I just put on the cuff (this time above my right wrist), inflated it to around 60 mmHg, and voila, a tourniquet that you can instantly release by turning a valve.

I get my eye on a nice vein on the back of my right hand, prep the site, and repeat the injection procedure,... goddammit to hell, nothing. What is this? Why is my body an abomination of nature? I can't get a flash for the fucking life of me, and I'm getting very frustrated. I guess the vein rolled or something, who the hell knows. I apply pressure to the site, withdraw the needle and think things over... At this point I could abandon the idea of ever IVing anything and just IM this shit again,... or I could persevere and give it the 'ole college try.

What the hell... I backload the solution into a fresh insulin syringe (this is kind of tricky btw... these air bubbles tend to form in the fresh syringe making it difficult to get 100 units from one syringe to another), and decide to go for the cephalic vein on my left arm. This is the vein on the top/side of your wrist... If you were wearing a watch, it would be underneath the strap just on the bottom-side of the watch.

I inflate my trusty cuff on my left forearm and see that fucker bulge like I wish every vein on my body did. If I can't hit this, then I'm a complete fuck-up. I prep the site with a fresh alcohol swab, and insert the needle (bevel up, 30 degree angle). This time, I feel something different than I have any other time. I feel a sharp pinch,... kind of like a bee sting. Well I'll be damned, so that is what's painful. I don't know if I'm a freak of nature, but check this out: The needle entering the skin is a totally different type of pain from the needle entering the vein.

That bee-sting feeling clued me in that I had finally done it. I had a teeny drip of blood in the syringe, but wasn't convinced that was my flash, so I drew back and voila - a beautiful fucking plume of bright red loveliness. I released the valve on my blood pressure cuff, and slowly injected the drug.

T +00:00:01 (1 second) - HOLY CHRIST... this is what I missed from the hospital. I feel the cool liquid coarsing up my left arm and suddenly my head is full of wool. I have a warmth and fullness in my chest,... it feels kind of like a cat is sitting on my chest.

The rush was unbelievable. At this point I'm feeling grateful that I only did 4 mg on my first time,... I think anything more would've overwhelmed and scared the shit out of me. If you've read the rest of my posts on this thread, you'll be surprised that 4 mg did anything at all. I mean shit, I've been insufflating 3 pills at a time, IM'd a whole tablet yesterday,... but 4 mg IV was a whole different story.

I put my used syringes in an empty coke can and put that along with all the wrappers in a plastic grocery bag, tie it up, and walk it out to the dumpster. I'm feeling awesome... I have finally conquered my stubborn body and did my first IV injection.

T +00:05 - The lovely thing (and bad thing) about IV is that my experience has already peaked 5 minutes in.. Hell I guess technically it probably peaked a few seconds after the injection when I had the rush. I'm feeling slightly nauseated now and decide to lie down. I'm not going to spew, but I can tell I've just had an opiate injection.

I check the injection site and it looks fine. I put on my ointment regime for good measure (triple antibiotic, hydrocortisone w/vit E). I'm feeling proud that there isn't even a dot, bump or anything on my cephalic. The other sites are another matter, but none of them look worse than a sand flea bite.

T +00:30 - I can already feel myself coming down slightly. Nonetheless I still feel great. Energized, the same warm opiate glow that I've sold my soul for countless times. I can conquer the world,... or just lay here, that's fun too.

T +01:00 - An hour later and I'm amazed at how quickly the IV comedown is. This is an entirely different beast from oral, insufflation or even IM. A sharp peak, and a quick comedown. I ask myself if it's worth the rush... Unfucking-doubtedly. I start to daydream about some ideal regimen where you would first take 4 mg orally, then insufflate 2-4 mg, then IV 4 mg, then IM 4 mg. Seems like that would give you all sorts of lovely waves of pleasure lasting hours.

T +02:00 - Well, shit. I'm feeling almost entirely back to normal. Not exactly craving more at the moment,... I guess my "opiate quota" is somewhat fulfilled for awhile,... but still, right now I wouldn't call myself "high." A tiny bit of that glow remains, taunting me.

T +03:00 - All gone. Back to normal. I'm not feeling bad, per se, but I am most definitely thinking about when my next dose will be. It will be at least 24 hours, probably more like 48 hours before I get more. Good thing I have some clonazepam at the ready for when I'm feeling shitty tomorrow, I have a feeling I'm going to need it.

Thx for the updates man! and glad you finally got off right, IM is NOT ideal. Good fucking call on the BP cuffs man. I never thought of that before but thats the perfect rec IV tourniquet. Well done.

Thx for the updates man! and glad you finally got off right, IM is NOT ideal. Good fucking call on the BP cuffs man. I never thought of that before but thats the perfect rec IV tourniquet. Well done.

Glad you're enjoying them. It's still hit-and-miss (har har) with the injecting, but I think my technique is improving. I'm trying to get more consistent... Last night I got it on my first try, but this morning it took 5-6 tries. I'm having a really big problem with veins rolling, especially those around my wrists and hands. I wish I didn't have to use those sites and could just use antecubital and cephalic, but I can't hit the antecubital for the fucking life of me.

I did (finally) manage to prep my vial of injection-ready hydromorphone by dissolving and filtering 25 8 mg pills in 20cc of bacteriostatic water, giving me a 10 mg/mL solution. That makes getting off soooooo much easier (only have to worry about hitting a goddamn vein), so I would recommend it to anyone who regularly shoots pills (although that is very unsafe, yadda yadda).

Once again, see this thread for details: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=455786

Why don't use just use the vain in the crock of your arm it's really the easiest to hit I can hit it nearly every time without tying off.

IV Dilaudid would have been your better bet...

FOR THREAD STARTER:

I don't think you got what you were looking for b/c you nasally administered the hydromorphone. Bad idea. It really is a waster of an expensive, rarer, and extremely powerful, enjoyable (if done correctly) narcotic.

You should have IV'd the pills. Dilaudid is known to disappoint in any other way except intravenously. Look it up on the search engine. I've heard anal admin is not too bad either, but I've no personal experience.

Just my opinion. :)

VicoDeLiCiOus

Just a hint about IVing: instead of giving up when no blood enters the needle upon a drawback, I will continue to slide the needle back--almost out but the tip never exits the entry--and forth until I hit the vein. Since I've already pulled back a vacuum is created in the needle and once you nail that vein it fills up with blood immediately and then you know you can drop the hammer down and let the solution flow forward.

This way you only need to create one hole per attempt... if you miss it the first time you just keep going back and forth until it fills up. Quite convenient actually, especially since it sometimes takes literally 15-25 tries before I hit the vein. If I was creating new wounds/entryways every attempt I would be COVERED in tracks.

My 2 cents :)