• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

hydro/oxy withdrawals... what to expect? :(

randmanq

Bluelighter
Ok, here we go. It's about time. I've always come to you guys with issues regarding drug use, but this time I really messed up.

Now, I haven't been using that long. At MAX four months, and that's honest as well. I got back with my lady July 15th, and I wasn't using at that time at all.

My usual dosage is at max 16mg of dilaudid. Two of the 8mg pills, always sniffed as well. Not everyday was it 16mg, sometimes 12. With a FEW one day breaks in between. All the horror stories I read are of people who use massive amounts, been using for years, and usually inject. Which is why I'm having a hard time finding out what to expect given my dosage and length of use.

I just recently got some oxycontin. I've read hydro is roughly 2.5 times stronger than oxy, so I figured maybe it would help me taper off. Is this a just assumption, or am I only digging my hole even deeper? Is cold turkey the way to go?

So, in closing. I've been using at max 16mg of hydro/dilaudid a day, for 4 months. I'm nervous and scared, since everything I read is of people taking massive amounts for long long periods of time. I'm thinking that maybe the withdrawals won't be as bad, considering I haven't been using for even half a year? And limited amounts.

Please, be very honest. I need to get off this stuff before everything goes to hell. I'm scared as hell, I'm typing this up at work and it's ever so hard to hold back the tears. I've really done it this time.

Thanks everyone

is this the proper place for this thread, or should it be elsewhere in a different board?

youll be pretty creppy crawly, coughing, runny nose, stomach cramps, chills/shivering/sweating, waves of funk.

for several days, the hydro w/d will be like the high, comes on strong, overwhelms, then leaves quicker then the rest of the opioids.
id imagine after four days youll be starting to feel normal again.

dont try and fight it, stay in the moment and progress each step. get to cleaning, pushups, bike, dont dwell on it much, go with it, the effects are overwhelming feeling, but only temporary, unlike benzos & alcohol, you will get through it unharmed.

you will come out of it stronger.

i was using for 3 - 6 months and had a horrible 3 days (80mg oxycontin). shits/vomiting at the same time, couldn't move except to do that... just felt horrible

Thank you.

From the sounds of it then, I won't be experiencing such extremes as people who take such crazy amounts and/or inject it, or those who have been abusing for years?

Also, is it worth it to try and taper off my usage with oxy? Like go down to 20mg of it a day, then 10mg, then stop completely. Would that help at all?

absolutely it will help to taper, use as little as possible of the longest half life you have.

im withdrawing from five years of klonopin, and 60-80 mg oxy atm... it hurts, but it does end.
i wish i could just be done with it, but i take them for an autoimmune d/o, the chronic-pain is permanent/progressive & the w/d is distracted by this for me.

it will end soon, dilauded has a big bite, but doesnt hang on long.

if you do feel you must get help, that could probably easily be done, by going to the er, and asking to go to a detox. just be as casual as possible, and youll be home in a week or less.
id be weary of stabilizing meds, like methadone, just get it over with, you know?

part of my diversion is siting in bed with my phone, focusing on this.
;)

I'm a little confused about what you meant about "as little as possible of the longest half life" I have? If it helps the question, I flushed all the dilaudid I had. I'm left with just six 40mg oxy's

So should I go down to 20mg now for a little while, or maybe less/more? I'm also guessing I shouldn't take it as soon as I wake up as I usually did, but wait until the afternoon/night?

yeah, get comfortable on 20, then ten for several days, until you have the time to feel not so great at home for a couple of days.
that should be fairly tolerable physically, but mentally, dont forget this predicament and let temptation win.
gain some selfesteem, and integrity when its over.

the dilauded would not be good to have around, as its short life span brings rebound withdrawl, and would be counter productive, so the oxy which lasts many hours longer will provide a smoother landing, not one crash after another, it is a redicules med...
that and xanax, yikes.

impressive, tossing the stuff, i see you are fed up! heh.
that was very smart, and cool i think actually, fuck it.

well I figured I was at a cross roads, if I keep going on for months and months It'll just be that much more worse, and I had an opportunity to accept I'm a dumbass and to get out while I can.

So I have 6 40mg oxy's, and one half. How many days should I stay at 20mg, I mean I don't want to make anything worse. 5-10 days, or is that to little/to much?

If my math serves me well, I have enough to do 9 days on 20mg, and then step down to 10mg for 8 days. Or would this be overkill, or avoiding the inevitable? Like I said, I don't want to make it worse. I could even cut those last 8 days in half and step down to 5mg

no,.slow is good, that should be enough time to feel things out, dont back paddle any taking extra, and it will be not so bad of an exit.

uncomfortable at times, but manageable.

sweats

hot flashes

the shits

nausea

puking

dehydration

RLS

and lots of other bothersome symptoms....

I would start working on extending the time between doses before you go through all of what you have left.

So, if you get down to 40mg left, and are taking 10mg a day, I'd work on trying to skip days. For example going 36 hours between doses, then maybe 48-60 hours, etc.

Some may argue that it could possibly extend the WDs, but I always feel like it provides a softer landing into sobriety.

Putting it into an analogy, coming off 40mg of oxy, would be like falling off a 40 foot roof (not literally of course) and coming off 10mg of oxy would be like falling off a 10 foot roof. Now both falls are going to leave you hurting for a few days, but the 10mg fall will be easier. However, it's still going to hurt a bit, which is where working on skipping days makes the landing softer. You're still falling 10 feet, but you'll be landing on pillows and a mattress instead of cement.

I could put that more fluently if I had gotten some more rest in the last few days. 8)

Yeah I think you would feel pretty bad for a couple weeks if you quit cold turkey. I really like your idea of tapering with the oxy. I would have done that if I had the self-control, but I lack self-control completely and I had to quit cold turkey. I quit after doing like 90mg of roxy a day for about 2-3 months with a day or two break in between 3-4 day binges.

I started back up and soon I was doing like 200mg a day and not really even nodding at all. Now THAT was even worse to quit. I spent like 2 weeks laying in bed wishing I were dead, then I was like fuck it and I started using again. I am getting 10 roxy 30's today, and I am going to try to do just 30mg a day while I job search. It's the complete lethargy and lack of energy/motivation that really gets me with cold turkey. Even walking around the house feels like a chore.

So yeah, even though you are doing such a small amount, you will still experience some shitty withdrawals, but they won't last THAT long and they won't be THAT intense. Good luck, but it shouldn't be THAT bad (especially if you take a little bump of oxy here and there to keep the w/d's at bay, BUT DON'T EVER DO MORE THAN THAT 20MG OF OXY A DAY!.)

Good luck, but it shouldn't be THAT bad (especially if you take a little bump of oxy here and there to keep the w/d's at bay, BUT DON'T EVER DO MORE THAN THAT 20MG OF OXY A DAY!.)

That was the hard part for me because I did try tapering with oxy at one point. The thing was once I took what I was only supposed to take I would somehow realize that starting to do the taper the following day would be a better idea. Then I would proceed to blow more pills.

Of course I would always regret it the next day. The tomorrow me hates the yesterday me.

Yeah, so...

I'm not saying it can't be done, but in my personal experience tapering with my drug of choice (in my case oxycontin) was impossible. The only thing that I ever had any success with was cold turkey, which I can't reccomend, or a medium-length suboxone taper. I'm on day 3 off of suboxone now, and I can tell you that while uncomfortable, it's not even in the same solar system as a full on agonist such as hydro/oxy/heroin, whatsoever.

After relapsing 6 times in 4 years, I'm done doing this on my own. I hate to give in to it, but I'm 12 stepping this shit. I've tried everything else, and nothing worked for me.

Good luck bro, you're in for a fight, but it's one you can win.