• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Husband just got naltrexone implant and claims he feels effects of dope

funkynotajunky

Greenlighter
Hello all! I'm new here, been lurking around for awhile but after searching for a bit (as a new member I don't know if I missed this thread while searching if it was already previously discussed so sorry if it already was but here goes:

So my husband got a Naltrexone implant literally just yesterday. It's made him loopy and disoriented beyond belief (which according to the doctors between the narcan I injections they gave him before hand and the low doses of naltrexone they were giving him for the last few days as part of this rapid detox opiate therapy program, this is to be expected)...well literally within minutes of getting home from our long journey home from where he got the implant he "found" dope stashed in our room. Not mine, as I am "clean" on a suboxone program at the moment. He claims that he actually feels the effects of the dope. According to him he really didn't do that much.. which was what I was really scared of because of course his tolerance should be way down from the rapid detox and having the opiates completely out of his system. He is still snorting lines, I would imagine he's done maybe 4 "decent" size lines since we've gotten home today and each time he claims that he really feels high from it.
I think that it's just the placebo effect that's taking place here and that he's getting that little kick from the reward center in his brain saying "good job, your snorting stuff, and snorting stuff makes you happy! Let's party!"
Obviously I'm not happy with the fact that he had basically relapsed within a day of getting home. I'm aware that most people OD before would actually get to feel the effects of opiates while having the naltrexone implant.
What would you all say? Is it possible that e actually is getting high?

I have heard people *claim* they could break through naltrexone. But I am skeptical; it's hard for me to see how, physiologically, that could work. But it's certainly true that everyone's body is different.

One thought: I'm not as familiar with the naltrexone pills as I am with the oral form (which I take) and the vivitrol injection. Maybe the implant needs a bit of time to begin releasing medicine? I'd be curious to hear if he can still get high in another day or two.

Sorry, this was not the most helpful response! ;-) I just get excited when folks talk about naltrexone... that stuff has been a godsend for me.

I hope your husband can get his footing quickly. Good luck!

I have heard people *claim* they could break through naltrexone. But I am skeptical; it's hard for me to see how, physiologically, that could work. But it's certainly true that everyone's body is different.

One thought: I'm not as familiar with the naltrexone pills as I am with the oral form (which I take) and the vivitrol injection. Maybe the implant needs a bit of time to begin releasing medicine? I'd be curious to hear if he can still get high in another day or two.

Sorry, this was not the most helpful response! ;-) I just get excited when folks talk about naltrexone... that stuff has been a godsend for me.

I hope your husband can get his footing quickly. Good luck!

I bet it does take a ltitle time for the naltrexone to be absorbed through the muscle or fat it's inserted into. How long I dunno? I have heard of people breaking through the implant with IV fent analouges. Its possible there's some in the heroin but I have my doubts snorting would do it.

I believe low doses of opioid antagonists have been used before to potentiate full or mixed agonists. Perhaps this is what he is experiencing. Also keep in mind our bodies are all different.

It doesn't sounds like the naltrexone was the right choice of medication for your partner. I would give it a few weeks to see how he does, if not a month or two. But if he start going down his and getting into a more severe relapse, if he has already tried and was not successful with buprenorphine maintenance, I strongly suggest you get his ass on methadone for six months to two years.

For people with an intense drive to use (it sounds like your partner fits this bill), methadone is much more effective when it comes to tackling cravings than buprenoprhine (and both methadone and buprenorphine are more effective at addressing cravings than naltrexone).

I was as bad a heroin addict as it gets. Would have crawled through broken glass to get my fix then thanked you afterwards. Methadone changed that completely. I agree with toothpastedog that naltrexone doesn't sound like the right treatment for your husband. This could get even worse if the blocking effect happens and he starts trying to punch through it with larger and larger amounts. People have OD'd doing that. Also when he comes off the naltrexone his tolerance will be dangerously low which causes some people to fatally overdose. I know for myself that methadone is the best answer he should at least look into it.

Hello all! I'm new here, been lurking around for awhile but after searching for a bit (as a new member I don't know if I missed this thread while searching if it was already previously discussed so sorry if it already was but here goes:

So my husband got a Naltrexone implant literally just yesterday. It's made him loopy and disoriented beyond belief (which according to the doctors between the narcan I injections they gave him before hand and the low doses of naltrexone they were giving him for the last few days as part of this rapid detox opiate therapy program, this is to be expected)...well literally within minutes of getting home from our long journey home from where he got the implant he "found" dope stashed in our room. Not mine, as I am "clean" on a suboxone program at the moment. He claims that he actually feels the effects of the dope. According to him he really didn't do that much.. which was what I was really scared of because of course his tolerance should be way down from the rapid detox and having the opiates completely out of his system. He is still snorting lines, I would imagine he's done maybe 4 "decent" size lines since we've gotten home today and each time he claims that he really feels high from it.
I think that it's just the placebo effect that's taking place here and that he's getting that little kick from the reward center in his brain saying "good job, your snorting stuff, and snorting stuff makes you happy! Let's party!"
Obviously I'm not happy with the fact that he had basically relapsed within a day of getting home. I'm aware that most people OD before would actually get to feel the effects of opiates while having the naltrexone implant.

Well, despite all issues known related to Methadone use I also would suggest the same as cj did it to look into Methadone maintenance program. For the simple reason only you most likely would not believe me when I say that just go detox and get some seriously strong painkillers and move to a new city get a new job and new friends for a year or two. Problem would be solved rather quickly and less painfully. The move only requires because otherwise the chance of relapse is very high. While you on Heroine you come out of the worst WD’s in about 4 weeks maybe 6 weeks. And to do the same while you are on Methadone its 4 months or 6 months.
Anyway I would still say go get into a Methadone program for short time.

Methadone vs Heroine
Long withdrawal period vs short withdrawal period
Methadone is a long lasting very strong medication. Heroine is short acting drug.

Methadone Maintenance

Pros: It will save his life and he can live as long as he wants with being on Methadone, it settles your life and your cravings fairly quickly but not that quick! And that is where many make their mistakes. Switching from Heroin to Methadone is easy if you can set your own dose! However that is usually not the case, as we all know it. When you get to the point to look for a solution usually you are about to hit the end of your road meaning financially. Therefore you will be required to rely on some so-called medical professional to set your dose from literally almost zero. They do this BS for days (many quits as they feel sick) and prolonging the suffering I have no clue why as if someone is on Heroin no need to wait and build up his Methadone dosage. 1 day is enough for that and you can raise your dose as long as you feel okay by 10-20mls every 3-4 hours and normally 70-130mls for a heavy Heroine addict as there is no other type LOL it offers only one way if we talk about years of addiction.
To give you an example for comparison if he used 2-3 grams good quality dope IV’d daily then maybe he will need 200mls a day from Methadone at the beginning. The less he needs the better! Trust me!

Cons: It’s much more difficult to come off than it would have been from Heroin.
I mean seriously. My own experience and many or almost all of my friends too is once you are on Methadone you have almost no chance to come off unless you have support system behind you and have the financial means to be out of work for a year. If you are on Methadone you need a year to get off of it completely as it has about 3-6 months severe WD period and even after you get waves heavily hitting you every other day or in every few hours. This comment applies after years of Methadone use.

Thanks for posting that about Naltrexone! I was looking into it as I want to come clean but we have almost no options in the UK especially when someone is working and not able to be sick for a year. I was asking them to give me short acting opiates anything they offered even more longer acting one than Methadone. Suboxone. 72-96 hours half life. No thanks. I made this mistake already with Methadone once. At that time they said this is the magic one now its Suboxone. No. It is not. It is just cheaper than to provide short acting pain killers and safer if you never want to come off...

^^^
My clinic just strait told me to keep using heroin while they brought my dose up from 20mg to whenever I stopped having cravings which was bout 80mg process took maybe 2 weeks.

^^^
My clinic just strait told me to keep using heroin while they brought my dose up from 20mg to whenever I stopped having cravings which was bout 80mg process took maybe 2 weeks.

Dude, WTF? I've heard of some crazy shit when it comes to methadone clinics. But that's gotta take the cake.

Dude, WTF? I've heard of some crazy shit when it comes to methadone clinics. But that's gotta take the cake.

Yeah its a little crazy but its realistic cause that's what most people are going to do. It helps retain people in treatment long enough for them to start seeing the upside which is a good thing in my opinion.

Well, despite all issues known related to Methadone use I also would suggest the same as cj did it to look into Methadone maintenance program. For the simple reason only you most likely would not believe me when I say that just go detox and get some seriously strong painkillers and move to a new city get a new job and new friends for a year or two. Problem would be solved rather quickly and less painfully. The move only requires because otherwise the chance of relapse is very high. While you on Heroine you come out of the worst WD’s in about 4 weeks maybe 6 weeks. And to do the same while you are on Methadone its 4 months or 6 months.
Anyway I would still say go get into a Methadone program for short time.

Methadone vs Heroine
Long withdrawal period vs short withdrawal period
Methadone is a long lasting very strong medication. Heroine is short acting drug.

Methadone Maintenance

Pros: It will save his life and he can live as long as he wants with being on Methadone, it settles your life and your cravings fairly quickly but not that quick! And that is where many make their mistakes. Switching from Heroin to Methadone is easy if you can set your own dose! However that is usually not the case, as we all know it. When you get to the point to look for a solution usually you are about to hit the end of your road meaning financially. Therefore you will be required to rely on some so-called medical professional to set your dose from literally almost zero. They do this BS for days (many quits as they feel sick) and prolonging the suffering I have no clue why as if someone is on Heroin no need to wait and build up his Methadone dosage. 1 day is enough for that and you can raise your dose as long as you feel okay by 10-20mls every 3-4 hours and normally 70-130mls for a heavy Heroine addict as there is no other type LOL it offers only one way if we talk about years of addiction.
To give you an example for comparison if he used 2-3 grams good quality dope IV’d daily then maybe he will need 200mls a day from Methadone at the beginning. The less he needs the better! Trust me!

Cons: It’s much more difficult to come off than it would have been from Heroin.
I mean seriously. My own experience and many or almost all of my friends too is once you are on Methadone you have almost no chance to come off unless you have support system behind you and have the financial means to be out of work for a year. If you are on Methadone you need a year to get off of it completely as it has about 3-6 months severe WD period and even after you get waves heavily hitting you every other day or in every few hours. This comment applies after years of Methadone use.

Thanks for posting that about Naltrexone! I was looking into it as I want to come clean but we have almost no options in the UK especially when someone is working and not able to be sick for a year. I was asking them to give me short acting opiates anything they offered even more longer acting one than Methadone. Suboxone. 72-96 hours half life. No thanks. I made this mistake already with Methadone once. At that time they said this is the magic one now its Suboxone. No. It is not. It is just cheaper than to provide short acting pain killers and safer if you never want to come off...

Outstanding post JackLondon (welcome to BL btw!).

I do need to emphasize that coming off methadone is not harder than coming off heroin. In fact, it actually is a lot easier to come off methadone than it is heroin.

Coming off methadone requires a lot of planning, but one doesn't need to be rich to get off it easily. It is all about being strategic. It isn't nearly as difficult as people make it out to seem. There is so much stigma surrounding methadone, so many myths and lies, I don't know where to even begin. . . Methadone isn't something to be taken lightly, but when used properly it is an incredible tool.

It requires more planning and takes a lot longer, but it can be a lot less painful. Getting off heroin is a lot more of a shock to the system than getting off methadone. Actually getting off methadone, when properly done, promotes further stability in one's life. That is what MMT offers that using junk doesn't, stability. And once being on MMT begins to destabilize one's lifestyle, as I experienced for myself after a couple years (nothing to do with the medication itself, but rather the way certain clinics are run), it is time to get off.

^^^

Every clinic is different. Like most else in life, there are some great ones out there and some horrible ones out there. Some are only interested in making money and really don't give a shit about anything except Federal and State laws (the US), while others are really strict and hardcore when it comes to maintaining abstinence from anything that isn't legally prescribed.

Yeah its a little crazy but its realistic cause that's what most people are going to do. It helps retain people in treatment long enough for them to start seeing the upside which is a good thing in my opinion.

Agreed. The people who work at clinics aren't stupid. They don't expect someone who is coming in off the street sick, looking to get on methadone to deal suffer through the transition until they've stabilized on an appropriate dose without the aid of recreational opioids/heroin. It happens more often then you'd think, but there aren't any hard and fast rules (at good clinics) along those lines.

I have tried to get high on heroin while on naltrexone and IME, it is exactly what you have described.

He he probably is trying to convince himself he is feeling something because he wants to so badly, but I really don't think he is actually getting high.

Not for nothing, but he's obviously not ready to stop using. And whether or not he is getting high is besides the point.

You our need to decide as husband/wife what you are going to tolerate as a couple. Nobody just finds heroin minutes after returning home from rehab. Of course he stashed it.

You need to decide whether you want him to actually get clean or not. If you really did, you wouldn't sign off on him snorting heroin