• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Hurtling towards a year of alcohol abstinance!

Royboy91

Greenlighter
So, I am an alcoholic. A realisation that was not easy for me to accept. I had my last drink on the 4th of April 2016,.A week before I went to rehab... And let me tell you the beginning of 2016 was as frightening as it was eye opening. Thinking that all hope was lost for me and I was just a burden on my family I took an overdose of Diazepam and stopped breathing. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for my parents and a blue light ambulance!! So I went cold Turkey... Had a seizure and smashed my face so hard on the concrete I needed 6 stitches to close the wound on my forhead which stretches through my eye and ends on my cheeky... It's pretty badass!
Anyway, almost a year sober and in this time I have bike packed around the country, lost 2.5 stone, and people actually come to me for help and advice. ME the suicidal alkie that was a pillar of ridicule and slander mere months ago. I cut this destructive poison out of my life and I've never felt more whole and happy. Have you recently gotten sober? How did you do it? Were you lucky like me and have friends and family grab onto you and refuse to let go no matter how much you spat and pissed and screamed and cried? Did you lone wolf it... If you went it alone, mad fucking props, that took some guts. Would love to hear from other alcohol abstainers...
Peace and love,
Royboy x

Congratulations! I'm coming up on my 5th year of sobriety from alcohol next August in 2017, and I did have the help of friends and family but when I was at my worst I quit on my own slowly cutting back drinking daily which was really stupid of me as I did not even tell my family, friends, or even a medical professional. Thankfully nothing went wrong but you really should not do that especially with alcohol.

Yes! Proud of you (even though we are strangers haha)... Yeah , that's what led to dark paths for me. Cutting down still meant drinking a he'll of a lot. What was your daily intake, if you don't mind discussing. Mine was 3- 3 LITRE bottle s of frosty jacks 8% cheap ads cider and about 10 pints... A DAY! Well over 80 units... It was hell on earth! Not for me though I was in oblivion my friends and family had to watch as I destroyed myself... Care to discuss. I understand if not. :)

Read this and just had to comment! Alcohol wasn't my drug of choice or one of my addictions that I kicked - but I know how hard and freeing it is to rid yourself of a metaphorical demon.
Your story made me so happy! Proud of you :)
What types of things did you implement/practice in regards to your mindset?
That is what I am working on. How to motivate myself daily, and take joy in the small things again.

Last edited: