View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Hppd

AnanasBannana

Bluelighter
I've searched but no one seems to have an exact answer to my questions.

About three weeks ago I had a four day weekend and decided to do my first acid trip with friends (I had done some before by myself and with my partner). It was a low dosage and I found the experience deeply unsatisfying - I felt responsible for everyone else and didn't allow myself to get immersed in the trip.

So 48 hours later I decided to trip again. It was a bit of a mistake, I was really bored by the experience and after about hour five I just wanted it to end.

Since then, I've really started noticing patterns on things and I'm not sure if I've caused some sort of damage.

My questions about HPPD:

• Am I actually seeing things differently or do I just know what to look for?
  • [Examples: I can make text move when I unfocus my eyes; I can see "watermarks" on concrete; I get faint visual noise when looking at very textured surface; I'm noticing tracers]
  • [The effects are more dramatic when I'm tired/stressed]
  • If this is HPPD, does this only affect the visual senses or am I likely being affected in other ways?
  • [Is HPPD linked to Schizophrenia or can it cause aural or tactile hallucinations?]
  • Should I avoid LSD in the future? If I get effects like these after my sixth trip, could they worsen dramatically if I continue to trip?
  • Is there any way to avoid psychedelic induced HPPD?

Thoughts?

These appear to be normal visual phenomena for most people, or at least that is what my optometrist told me.
I noticed this after my first few 2c-e trips at 16 but I'm pretty sure it was just bringing my attention towards visual distortions, before I would have had no idea.
I've since had at least a hundred separate psychedelic trips since then and my vision remains exactly the same as then, no better and no worse.

HPPD is just becoming aware of optical illusions you weren't previously aware of. It's a purely psychological phenomenon. Psychedelic drugs don't cause HPPD. There has been plenty of research on LSD and other psychedelic drugs and they have been shown to not cause any long lasting effects on the brain.

I have noticed some changes in my vision after trips and I was able to realize that it was just in my head. If you worry about it then you'll keep seeing it but once you realize it's not a problem you won't notice it and it will go away.

Tripping again won't make it keep getting worse. In fact it could even reset your vision and make the "HPPD" go away.

The only way to avoid HPPD is to stop feeling like HPPD is something you need to avoid.

HPPD is just becoming aware of optical illusions you weren't previously aware of. It's a purely psychological phenomenon. Psychedelic drugs don't cause HPPD. There has been plenty of research on LSD and other psychedelic drugs and they have been shown to not cause any long lasting effects on the brain.

All "psychological" phenomenon have a biological basis, in this case HPPD could be due to alteration of sensory pathways because of disruptions of an enzyme called COMT that leads to too many catecholamines - not genuine "damage" thankfully but still a genuine change - not just something you can will away (not that I don't recommend mindfulness to try and improve tolerability).

And of course drugs have long lasting effects on the brain - even reading a book has a long lasting effect on the brain. The same way that the brain learns with normal tasks, the brain can "learn" from drugs.

Tripping again won't make it keep getting worse. In fact it could even reset your vision and make the "HPPD" go away.

Tripping again can definitely make HPPD worse. Many people report that their HPPD worsened with more drug use. Why would a drug cause one effect one time and the opposite effect another time?

Anyways Banana, my advice is take it easy for a while, get lots of sleep, and hope that it will improve as your brain adjusts and tries to reach homeostasis. Most people's HPPD improves a lot after a year. Also, sleep deprivation significantly worsens HPPD so be aware that could definitely be a big contributing factor. Personally I think most people tend to get pretty used to it by year one or two.

Regarding whether the changes are only visual in nature or if you might be affected by more changes that you can't notice, I would say that the reason why you only notice the visual changes is probably because that's the most sensitive sense as far as "noise", although many people report tinnitus as well. We might be talking about a half a percent change in visual function, but that's just how sensitive and high resolution our vision is. I wouldn't expect any actual difference in function of your other senses or cognition.

HPPD is not linked to schizophrenia (schizophrenia is extremely different, and genetic in nature), so no worries there.

How does HPPD come about?? Can HPPD come from just thinking about it?? What actually is HPPD?? How much of a possibility is it to get HPPD is it even real or is it just something to scare you from trying it I was wondering before I did anything because my friends was telling me about it
If u could answer me
Thank You

Hard to say what HPPD is, but it's pretty rare. A lot of people have visual snow and some HPPD symptoms without ever taking any drugs though.

Things like visual snow and tinnitus tend to be worse if you think about them constantly, that's why mindfulness to control rumination and attention is important.

It's probably more common from acid and ecstasy than Psilocybin.

Thank you could you answer these questions for me if you don't mind can you get stuck permanently on a trip?? Does marijuana make you have or worsen HPPD if you have HPPD?? What are the visuals of HPPD??
Thank you in advance and Thank you for your answe to the last question

I think wiki has an okay page on HPPD you could check out, there are various visual disturbances and lots of drugs can increase them temporarily. While you're stoned you could have more visuals but I don't think actual persistent worsening of HPPD with weed is a problem. Maybe it impairs recovery from HPPD for some people.

And HPPD is commonly co-morbid with depersonalization - I would bet that weed could hamper recovery from depersonalization as weed can occasionally cause depersonalization that's lasts for a few months as well. A lot of the times I don't think it's really the visual disturbances that bother people with HPPD, it's the co-morbid depersonalization and depression/anxiety. For those symptoms I think it would be good to cut back on weed use.

It's really, really rare to have a permanently altered state of consciousness after a psychedelic, and it seems like it's always with massive acid overdoses. But psychedelics can occasionally cause psychosis that is fairly temporary. Long term abuse may be a different story, but once again I think it's a massive LSD dosing related issue.

It's kind of like the feeling that you're just watching life through a window, or that it's all just a movie. Maybe that your eyes are sat 6 inches back in your skull and that everything is distant and unreal.

Depersonalization/derealization can accompany HPPD and often be the real cause of distress.

Can that last a lifetime can you remember things with derealization?? does that
come from a lot of psychedelic use??

Most times it's pretty temporary, sometimes it lasts a few months or a bit longer. But I certainly wouldn't view it as a lifetime illness. Things like mindfulness, cardio, sleep and the right meds can help speed along recovery.

It can be caused by a lot of different drugs and it also occurs in people who have never used drugs at all.

Psychedelics aren't 100% risk free but psychosis from them is rare and seems to usually happen in people who are already mental ill or those who are predisposed to developing mental illness. But I wouldn't run around dosing psychedelics without a single thought to your mental health.

At the same time, there is a lot of fear-mongering (psychedelics cause you to lose your soul type stuff). What can happen is something called ego-loss, which is supposed to be beneficial and desired.

So I have HPPD and it's proven very difficult to deal with but somehow I'm still here and functioning lol. I have abstained from drugs as a whole, including weed, and only drink very seldomly. Just trying to eliminate everything I can to help heal myself. So my question is, I'm wanting to take oxycodone soon and was wondering what the general consensus would be on that? Would it be a terrible idea and fuck my hppd up even more? Im not looking to get high, I just got braces recently and have been in so much pain I can't talk at work. Naproxen , Tylenol, etc is not touching it. I'm intending on 5mg on a full stomach. Thoughts?

Opiates should not contribute to HPPD. I will say, be careful with opiates, if you like them a lot, don't keep doing them because opiate addiction is hell and no one thinks they're going to get addicted... but a lot of people do. It's a huge problem these days

Can you lose your soul by doing psychedelics my friend said you can

No that's ridiculous.

Can you smoke psychedelics??

Depends on the psychedelic. They're all different chemicals. Some can be smoked or vaped, and some will be destroyed by applying too much heat. In general I would say that not many psychedelics should be smoked, because eating them is better. There are some exceptions such as base tryptamines like DMT.

Google could find you some of the answers you seek...

Thank you for the prompt response. I love opiates but like I said I've been staying away from everything for a few months now. I wouldn't be opposed to a residual high but that's definitely not my intention. Just looking for some relief every couple weeks when I have to switch my trays out (for invisalign)