• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

how to stop snacking and not have stomach grumble

drink a whole glass of water before u snack

drinking water is good for filling you up, but it also speeds up your metabolism so you digest the food faster. I think the OP's problem is theyre trying to stop eating so much throughout the day, in which case, you wouldnt want the food to metabolize faster, cause then youd just get hungry again

Snacking, as others have mentioned, is a better way to manage your foods consumption than say, eating 3 square meals.

It sounds like your question is really "How can I lose some weight?"

tl,dr:

Stay hydrated, very hydrated. Cut out alcohol and all simple sugars. Minimize complex carbohydrates. Remember to get lots of fiber in your diet and keep up the exercise. It sounds funny that a protein and fat oriented diet will work, yes. However, the proof is in the pudding. As long as the pudding doesn't have any sugar in it.

Eat more (root) vegetables, preferably in their raw state. You'd be surprised by how filling a couple of large peeled/washed Carrots can be.

Morningstar farms fake sausages are AMAZING. I love it. Have you tried the fat free cheeses? I can vouch that they can be totally delicious as well.

No, I haven't. You say they're good?

^ They are tasty but the ingredients aren't too awesome. Juuuust throwin' that out there--Not trying to turn the discussion into a "processed foods are baaad" discussion. ;) Morningstar Farm's fake meats (like any other processed foods) are what I call a "sometimes" food. :p

I agree with you 100%. I think learning to eat healthy is a process though. You really have to start small and take steps towards being healthier.

^ I'd even be willing to say it could take a couple years out of your life to simply learn what helps you perform at your best. Too bad some (cough, most) people don't wish to take the time out to get to know their own bodies.

In addition to taking those steps, I think we need to have the right kind of people around to help us along the way. Like having a mentor, perhaps. Find someone who's willing to try changing their lifestyle along with you. Granted, it probably won't be a family member, though maybe you can lead THEM by example. Personally, my family is more healthy now than what we were five years ago and on the basis of my initial (and continued, thanks to outside help!) changes. You'd be surprised who's willing to make changes, when given extra support.

Graze all day - like 5-6 small meals a day - easily digestible, whenever you get peckish.

Don't mix main proteins (meats, cheese, eggs etc) with another protein, or with a main carbohydrate - proteins like an acidic environment, and carbs like an alkali one - mixing them together slows down digestion, and you will put on weight.

FOr instance carbs for breakfast, carbs and salad and maybe some easily digestible proteins for lunch, and then protein + lots of veg for supper, with healthy snacks in between - this should help you out.

ANd of course, stay well hydrated.

switch your snacks for fruits, nuts and veggies. the only thing i habitually reach for is water or tea. also if you eat what's in your house, control what goes into the house to remove the temptation.

stress and inactivity (the latter also being a cause for the former) is what mainly leads to people eating like shit, IME. once you start into some serious exercise you'll notice that you instinctively start craving larger meals and won't be hungry between them.

Be sure to drink plenty of water, consume plenty of fiber, and only eat when hungry. Exercise helps keep me distracted if I feel the need for a snack :D just remember, everything in moderation!

Edit: eating a high protein meal in the morning will make you feel more satisfied and less tempted to snack throughout the day. Breakfast is supposed to be the largest meal, dinner the smallest. That way you have more time to burn off the calories :)

Fresh fruit won't last you long. It's great for a quick boost, and very healthy. It just gets digested and used so quickly. Dried fruit, on the other hand, expands and breaks down more slowly, like rice or bread. This is one of the reasons it's a key ingredient in trail mix and similar performance snacks. I personally can't stand raisins. But figs, apricots, dates, cranberries, blueberries, and tomatoes are all great in their dried state.

sorry i didnt read the thread posts, just the orig post. do you use opiates? i duno why but when i used opiates my stomach was always turning and churning. it was def. unpleasant being in class and having my stomach growl when i'm not even hungry. i went to prison for a year recently, and when i'd use morphine it would do the same thing, so i know that if you use opiates it is probably the reason for it. if not, i couldnt tell you whats up. i dont have the problem anymore but i do eat healthy now so maybe you should try to fuck with your diet a bit ( i wouldnt kno where to start as to what to advise what to eat more/less of) . good luck buddy

I try to snack on almonds and in between snacks drink a big glass of water..

I'm seriously hungry all the f'ing time lately though. It is absolutely unbelievable how much I am eating.

^yeah but last i recall, you were a bit of a fitness beast :) work out enough, and that subsequent hunger aint such a bad thing.

the only snack i regularly have are hardboiled eggs and freshly peeled carrots. i eat 3 of the former and 4 of the latter every working day. some nights i have lowfat yoghurt with a heap of frozen blueberries and raspberries thrown in.

i indulge in sweets only when i visit my parents.

Willpower - it's hard.

Look into trophology and I would suggest looking into ayurveda for what mind-body type you are - you might find you are just eating all the wrong things if you're fairly curvy.

If however your mind body type means that you have poor circulation in hands and feet, irregular bowel movements, you're anxious and fearful when in negative mind states (instead of angry or other etc), then sweet stuff might just be what you need.

Try not to buy things with white sugar in. Period. ANd go for brown sugar and honey treats instead - rice syrup and a whole lot more sweeteners are out there waiting for you to discover them, if sweetness is what you need as well as crave.

Nothing wrong with grazing if you were born skinny, it's most effective - BUT if you are a curvy lass, chances are you need to learn willpower, stop snacking when you're bored, and learn what foods are right for you, so they can sustain you throughout the day - what's good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander.

Big love

Be sure to drink plenty of water, consume plenty of fiber, and only eat when hungry. Exercise helps keep me distracted if I feel the need for a snack :D just remember, everything in moderation!

Edit: eating a high protein meal in the morning will make you feel more satisfied and less tempted to snack throughout the day. Breakfast is supposed to be the largest meal, dinner the smallest. That way you have more time to burn off the calories :)
Lunch should be the biggest meal of the day, to be fair. Some people should avoid breakfast altogether, so your advice ain't so good.

Llama - make sure you only eat when you get stomach grumble, even if it's just one! When it happens take about 5 deep breaths (counting inhale to 5 and exhale to 5), and see if you get another grumble or hunger pang. If not, then don't eat yet.

I have edited this before. This is a HARM REDUCTION WEBSITE.

Last edited by a moderator: