• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

how to find interest in things besides drugs

GregSmith20

Greenlighter
Seems so simple but I keep coming back to getting high and sometimes feel my life would be better if I didn't care about drugs yet I still want to do them.

Last edited:
Picture your mind as a huge map with lots of roads and intersections. It appears to me that we, as naturally evolved species, always choose the most traveled path with the deepest tracks based on our innate need for resource saving due to scarcity of such things (especially in the past). Simply put, the mind "likes" to run the same circuits over and over and it seems that it doesn't matter what circuits to run as long as they are repeated often enough, the mind will automatically "slip" in to them - that's how habits are formed imo.

Logically, to get out of such boxed in thinking and any addictions all we need to do is to come up with another new mental circuit and keep repeating it until it becomes automatic and strong enough to "survive" without our constant attention to it. So find a hobby, an interest, a girl, anything! And keep thinking that new stuff every day. The thought that your life could be better if you didn't care about drugs is your link to create new patterns. Its all up to you, good luck! ;)

^ Sure!

@GregSmith20, have you considered playing some sort of sport, exploring things that might be of your interest? Or get to know some of them?
You don't need to have a lot money, you could simply start doing things that will make you decrease the importance of drugs in your life, even if it's only momentarily. Walk, hike, swim, go to the movies. Shop or travel. Seek for relationships, get a puppy to take care of. Volunteering may be a great experience.

It does not matter what you do as long as you realize that when you do things that could give you some pleasure, you may be genuinely happy at moments. Go to gym nearby, if you can or start a new diet. The world is yours, there's nothing preventing you from enjoying the simplest things.

It may not sound or even make you feel that great of a deal in these activities right away or even the first few days, but you'll be better. Some people like group activities, others travel solo. Learn how to play an instrument. Seroctotine/endorphine will be released in your body. Sometimes all it takes is 40 to 50 minutes of exercise to begin feeling these joyful feeling occasionally and you'll be wanting to do that again and again.

Take care!

Exercise also increases striatum dopamine concentration and increase BDNF. Seeing new things releases dopamine too, and so does sex, and cocaine, and amphetamines and many other things. That is how our body naturally tells us what experiences are of a bigger importance for survival and that's where the danger of addiction is hidden, so "don't believe the hype" your brain is telling you on drugs! :)

Being a human means that the choice is ours to make, make the right one! ;-)

Volunteering at the local animal shelter was great in my experience!

Last edited:
The longer you go without drugs, you begin to forget what life was like on them... and mundane things start to seem novel again. It takes a long time but it's possible. Finding a hobby or activity that interests you is useful too.

I know it's easier said than done when it comes to addiction but... it's possible.

(Dunno what sorta drugs you're reffering to but this) Kinda reminds me of when I stopped smoking weed all day everyday. Everything seemed boring in comparison. Why *insert activity here* when you can *insert activity here* high (see the enhancement smoker). But it seems like youve already begun to realize you dont need to be perpetually high. The interest part took time for me, as others have suggest: repetition. My best advice is to start out with something that youre already interested in.

Daily exercise made my body feel good and when I felt good physically I felt good mentally. And when I was in a good headspace I was able to find the joy in the little things instead of simply being like "ah this sucks, itd be so much better high".

Short of that? The power of suggestion? "We have the power to change our realities and one day at a time we're doing it".. Really though if you tell yourself youre enjoying it eventually it will become so.

Good luck!

I've been having good luck reading *easy* books. I'd love to go and read everything by Dostoyevsky, but until I can focus better, trying that is just going to lead to frustration.

With that in mind, I've been reading a lot of young-adult books that I've been picking up from the public library. In particular, I've been going back to an author I loved as a kid (and I was *not* much of a reader): John Bellairs. His books are kinda gothic, vaguely spooky stories about misfit kids. For me, they've been a godsend during early recovery.

Of course, not-too-heavy adult stuff is also good... I've been gorging on Stephen King and Lee Child. But many trashy adult books are SO bad as to be barely readable.

It can be difficult at first, but daily exercise can help, as will learning something new that interests you, and hanging out with people who are not into drugs helps a lot. Good luck.

Do you like learning about new things? I'm hooked on the 'stuff you should know' podcast. It's like having a couple of friends explain things to you in a humorous way. New episodes every Tuesday and Thursday. I fall asleep listening to this every night on my phone.

http://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/podcasts

At some point I'll run out of old episodes (something like 600+ by now) and find something else to do with my spare time. Never can seem to pick 1 hobby and stick with it... except drugs.

Last edited:
Insight meditation has been really helpful in finding interest in both old and new things. It is rare to find things that really peak my interest all of a sudden. Generally speaking, I have to cultivate the kind of relationship I want to have with something before I am able to fully appreciate what I really have. If that makes any sense. . .

The point is, generally it takes time. One doesn't develop a whole set of new interests or a whole new worldview over night. It takes time to develop.