• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

How to cope when your friends still use but you are clean?

Ah good luck. Its a sobering thought to the likes of me. Ive never been clean for 6 years, but to think after that time I'd still be so succeptible to relapse is quite scary.

You'll always be susceptible man.

OK I hate to make sweeping generalizations like that, there's always exceptions to every generality. But in my experience (and my max clean time totals at a little over 2 years not 6) with myself and others I've known. You never stop being susceptible. All it takes is life going to shit and it becomes super easy to stop being caring about the reasons you quit.

Sorry to be a downer. :(

You gotta let them go... It’ll be one of the hardest things you do.

My old friend group almost hates me because once I left I made something of myself. Misery loves that company, in the end you come into this world alone and you’ll die alone. Choose what’s best for you right now, and if they don’t accept that then they don’t actually give a shit about you.

-GC

Sadly @Ganjcat if they're actively addicted, theyre not likely to spend any leisure time NOT either using or looking to score, and all the OP can do is turn their back on them.

OP it really sounds like the only way...but you can be there for them if they decide to quit one day, just not while theyre using, it's completely unsustainable.

Sadly @Ganjcat if they're actively addicted, theyre not likely to spend any leisure time NOT either using or looking to score, and all the OP can do is turn their back on them.

OP it really sounds like the only way...but you can be there for them if they decide to quit one day, just not while theyre using, it's completely unsustainable.

I feel this is as important as avoiding them in the first place to take care of yourself. Once you take care of yourself, and have successfully quit (how ever long you consider success to be) you can show that there is a path to getting better. Seeing that achieving the achievable goal of breaking an addiction gives hope and a starting place for those others that are addicted.

My experience has been that my Active friends have left me when I am clean! They feel I will take out a Huge net and drag them Sober? :LOL: ;)
But Really the problem lies in self guilt " If Johnny has a problem and uses Less than me. what the fuck is going on with me?? people do not want to look at that question really. It is so true that Misery Loves company.
The world will not stop making Drugs and Alcohol because I have stopped, But I work really hard at not placing myself in Harms way. The moment I feel the slightest bit uncomfortable I leave, or even earlier, I don't go!!

Its not hard to go in a backroom or bathroom and do what you gotta do, Imo.

Yeah but to the person trying to get blean, ita obvious what thoaw people arw disappearing for

I cut off several friends when i got sober last month.

After being sober for a short amount of time, seeing them all spun out is disgusting and i want no part in it.

Maybe you'll reach a similar point where the reality of how they look while high doesn't match the fantasy while glorifying the drug.

But ultimately better to stay away altogether.. but for me i work with one of those friends so he comes into work high and i'm just like "nah i'm good bro".

I cut off several friends when i got sober last month.

After being sober for a short amount of time, seeing them all spun out is disgusting and i want no part in it.

Maybe you'll reach a similar point where the reality of how they look while high doesn't match the fantasy while glorifying the drug.

But ultimately better to stay away altogether.. but for me i work with one of those friends so he comes into work high and i'm just like "nah i'm good bro".
good on ya mate your a real man

I'm still very weak inside for meth and i can't forget it.
I wish I had the strength to quit right now, maybe I do but you know life goes on your a nice guy madness I think we would be good friends irl who knows maybe in 2 years time we will be sober, happy, functional and looking back at our time with drugs and just laugh :)

Just get it out of your system if you must but recognize there is such thing as healthy sustainable euphoria. Maybe that looks like a job you love, an SO you love, something. Sure it's not the easiest way. Not at all. Takes a lot of work, rewiring of the brain, etc but we all deserve nothing less.

Just get it out of your system if you must but recognize there is such thing as healthy sustainable euphoria. Maybe that looks like a job you love, an SO you love, something. Sure it's not the easiest way. Not at all. Takes a lot of work, rewiring of the brain, etc but we all deserve nothing less.
I used to think it was good but now I just want to quit but my mind body just doesn't its not easy a lot of people I know irl are cold as fuck

Ah good luck. Its a sobering thought to the likes of me. Ive never been clean for 6 years, but to think after that time I'd still be so succeptible to relapse is quite scary.

There does eventually become a time when you know you are completely over it. It takes a while but you'll know when it happens - it's like something finally switches off in your brain.

I stopped taking heroin 10 years ago. About 3 years ago, the opportunity arose to score again. I wasnt really that bothered about it but was curious as to how I'd react. Luckily, I hated it. I found it very dysphoric and annoying.

That's it now. I'll never touch the stuff again and could happily sit there watching someone use in front of me without any interest whatsoever.

There does eventually become a time when you know you are completely over it. It takes a while but you'll know when it happens - it's like something finally switches off in your brain.

I stopped taking heroin 10 years ago. About 3 years ago, the opportunity arose to score again. I wasnt really that bothered about it but was curious as to how I'd react. Luckily, I hated it. I found it very dysphoric and annoying.

That's it now. I'll never touch the stuff again and could happily sit there watching someone use in front of me without any interest whatsoever.

For me, right after I did ibogaine, it was like that switch flipped. I was POSITIVE I was 100% over it, and I was for 6 years. Friends could use in front of me, no problem. Then my dad got really sick, a bunch of shit went down, and I had a moment of weakness, and now it's a struggle again. It's likely that if life hadn't become extremely painful and I had totally stayed away from any sort of connection to drugs/drug users, I wouldn't have relapsed. But who knows. Either way, I learned something... I will always have to remain vigilant.

It's not like it was before, where I felt enslaved. It's just that I went years without even craving and now I crave, and have caved a few times, but I haven't gone back to daily use. Mostly I think that's because when I was using daily and massively addicted, I was using opiates to cover up an abusive relationship and my life without opiates was basically hell. Now my life is good, despite some stresses. I love who I am and what I do, so sobriety isn't painful.

The only sustainable happiness/euphoria is that which is created naturally without drugs, and it is created through what you fill your life with. Other people can contribute a lot, but if you're not happy inside no one else is going to make you happy sustainably, either.

It's a whole lifestyle change. You can't just expect to do what you've always done high, sober.

100% true. Most of us become addicted to drugs in order to self-medicate something, or even if it's not for anything like that, the drugs end up filling some role in our daily lives. When you quit, you have to fill that time with other things. You can't expect to succeed if you don't make changes along with quitting.

When I quit heroin in december I blocked all of my dope buddies and never looked back, I only have one friend at the moment but I don't wanna be around people who use, I'm done with that shit.
This girl tried to contact me a few days ago but I ignored her, nothing personal I just don't wanna fuck with that anymore.
What I'm trying to say is if you have to cut people off to get sober do it, it's worth it.