View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How to actually not kill myself on ketamine

isaaccain

Bluelighter
I'm going to a party tomorrow and some proper ket head who I'm pretty sure steals his stuff from a vet is gonna give me some real cheap so with the fairly large amount that I'll have I wanna know how to stay safe. I don't mind overdosing on opiates because it doesn't scare the shit out of you (in my experience), but I don't want to be traumatised so I'm actually going to take some precautions. And besides things are getting better nowadays, so why shouldn't I? :)

Numero uno, I know the dose for my weight (55 kg) is about 30mg, but that's a tiny amount about the size of a pinch of salt, so how do I actually measure it without a mg scale? Just like put a bit on the tip of my finger or make lines? and how big should the lines be?

Numero dos, how often should I redose? I heard you're meant to redose every 15 minutes or so, but I also heard that snorting ket lasts about an hour, or an hour and a half if you eat it. I'm so new to this shit though I really have no idea, never been on the party drug scene or anything other than pills, and I don't go out and party with them anyways, but that's irrelevant.

I've never done ketamine as I'm sure you can tell and I'm not really sure about what it even does other than it's a dissociative, but I've done DXM a few times before, and even though it was pretty shit, it wasn't terrible (other than the vomiting).

Thanks in advance fellas

Sorry buddy, but the only answer you'll receive in line with HR is to buy a set of milligram scales and weigh your doses. We won't condone eyeballing. Closest you'll get is volumetric measurements, but you'd need to know exactly how much powder you're starting with and then go and dissolve the whole lot in a specific amount of solution (water, EtOH, etc), then measure out an amount you know to contain 30mg.

I find it odd you'd rather OD on a respiratory depressant than ket though. I mean, obviously nobody wants to OD on anything....but opiates could kill you a little easier I'd think.

First and foremost, it's VERY VERY VERY difficult to die from ketamine. It's actually quite safe even though a k-hole in my opinion is comparable to death. Just do a tiny key bump and see how you feel. Ketamine is strange....it's a dark dark drug that lacks enlightenment but NO other compound really compares to it. It's better on stimulants.

Ok I'll just take like a pinch then I wasn't really sure how easy or difficult it was to overdose on ket so I didn't know if I needed to be super careful, I just didn't want to have a horrible trip in which I choke on my own tongue or something. What I meant by I'd rather OD on opiates is that it wouldn't involve a possible bad trip and probably wouldn't be scary, last time I OD'd on opiates I just stopped breathing for a while and threw up a lot but I thought with ket I'd be like seizure-ing my ass off nd shit

As far as safety profile goes, when they use ketamine for anesthesia, they use FAR higher than recreational dosages. So it's not going to kill you. However, you'd be best served to buy a milligram scale on ebay or something, you can get the AWS Gemini-20 for like $25 on ebay.

Ketamine is used in medicine to produce a state where you're unable to move or even register anything is happening (basically, total unconsciousness with the inability of your body to react to pain with reflexes). It doesn't cause seizures, quite the opposite. Recreational doses, even the high-end ones, are much lower than medical doses for anesthesia.

Lastly, don't be so cavalier about overdosing on opiates, that shit kills tons of people. Way more to worry about from opiates than from ketamine, at least in terms of overdosing. But it's best to know how much you're doing. The cost of a base-level, fully sufficient for most drugs sort of scale is so cheap, that if you're buying drugs, you can afford a scale.

yeah but they give you it by IV for anesthesia and the dose was like 4.5mg and I wasn't sure of the conversions so thank you

They give you WAY more than that IV for anesthesia, it's up to 4.5mg per kilogram, so if you weigh 70kg it could be up to 315mg. I guess not as much more as I thought but still, that's a lot to slam IV at once, people only do that if they have a lot of tolerance.

They do administer K IV at high doses for anaesthesia together with e.g. benzos and opioids, but then there is an anaesthesiologist present. It's hard to die from ketamine just from it's direct effects, but if you do combinations - especially if you are still trying to move while messed up, you can get into trouble from vomiting - something that is also risky with opioids or things like GHB.

You don't need to redose every 15 minutes unless you have ultra high tolerance, similar to when smoking a joint hardly does something for you but it's still nice if you take frequent tokes. Without experience or tolerance, you don't need to redose until you're mostly out of it again.. although you might need to titrate.
It's also different if you only take bumps: if they are small enough to not even make you trip without tolerance, low dose ketamine is in some ways stimulating and relativel functional although it can still be a little drunky wonky. So: decide if you want to stick to bumps or if you want to go deeper and trip. For a party though, it's not fun for anyone if you take too much being a beginner with no tolerance. You might as well be home since you are so removed from everything and everyone, worse though it can freak people out if you're acting like you had a stroke.

So just stick to bumps, not because K is dangerous but because the only kind of party where doing trip sized doses of K is alright is the kind where there's a dedicated room full of people who are semi knocked out, with a large mirror and nangs. Booze will very likely make you dizzy and feel very fucking sick with ketamine, and many other combos have different issues [for a beginner at a party], so don't combine with anything or maybe a few tokes if that.
As for the size of bumps: you can hardly start with small enough sized bumps snorted from your hand, the threshold for functional K use is not high, or it might take one or two extra tries. I'm not being a little bitch here and it's not about underestimating what you can 'handle', high doses of K are certainly amazing, but not at a party - you're not immune to the anaesthetic effects.. I figured all of that shit out the hard way.

A disclaimer: you can't always do without a scale or ever reliably judge the density of powders and crystals... but that said: taking bumps of K is not like eyeballing really dose-sensitive stuff. So here, one of the most questionable fucking stock photos I've ever seen.... it's a pic of a 25 mg bump:
Scoop it from a key, an actual drug scoop, dump this amount on your hand and snort it off there... not from the tip of your finger or a match (lol), that sounds awkward. If crystal, you want to pulverize it or it won't snort well... I've done that in the past by rolling soomething over a baggie to crush it - but be careful to first remove all the air from the baggie and close it, so that you won't spill it everywhere like popping a bag of potato chips.

25mg-ketamine-bump-with-key-and-ruler-for-scale-C90DFH.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks I don't think I would have too much my first time anyway but I guess I would've been dissapointed if I just took a fingertip sized bump so thanks a lot buddy I'll try not to mix it with anything but no promises ;)

Seriously don't combine k with alcohol. My first time trying k was ruined by horrible nausea because I had been drinking first.

Yeah ketamine and alcohol is a terrible combo IMO. I like alcohol with MXE and 3-MeO-PCP, but with ketamine it's just all spinny and groggy and shit,

had it with pills but I don't drink because of the calories lmao don"t worry

If you can kill yourself with Ketamine you either deserve a Darwin or Mensa accolade. Not sure

I know of s guy at a rave who killed himself with ketamine by injecting it into his abdomen one too many times. It also makes you stupid as fuck for an extended period after being used, can severely exacerbate psychosis in certain unlucky individuals for months at a time (it does this to me) and in heavy users, can completely destroy one's bladder function.

All in all, ketamine is a magical, escapist drug one will most likely look back on with fondness for years to come.