• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How similar/different are the effects of psilocybe and THC?

zagor

Bluelighter
I get an adverse reaction from THC. It just makes me sick in a way I can't even describe. But I wanna try psilocybe in microdosing to try and treat depression. How similar are these 2?

They are very different but if THC gives you anxiety mushrooms might have the same effect.

I used to white out and get anxiety majorly from pot for a long time, but have had very little of that on shrooms save 2 incidents for about an hour in the middle of the trip. out of probably 15-20 good ones.

Mushrooms are much more intense. The body buzz is very different in that it’s more powerful and just a different feeling. Mentally it lights up your world and changes your thought process markedly. It’s a lot of fun, and it’s hilarious too in my experience, but it can be scary if it’s going wrong in your mood or you’re overwhelmed. The more you do, the more intense this gets and the visuals start to kick in around the 1.5-2g threshold. I’d personally start recreationally with 2, or 3 if you’re feeling you can handle your world being twisted around for awhile.

Microdosing, I don’t know I’ve never done it.

Anyway it’s a good idea to make sure you’re in a good mindset before taking any psychedelic. It’s the same thing as weed where being high and out of your zone can wind up bekng a really negative experience, but more intense with mushrooms. Never had a full blown bad trip with them butmy last acid trip went sour the last few hours and that was like death personified.

So if you’re problem with weed is in your head I’d be careful with shrooms.

There are certain commonalities between THC and Psilocybin, but in reality, without eating massive amounts of edibles or smoking large amounts of dab/shatter/etc, the effects are very different. Both cause euphoria and result in a lot of laughter in the right circumstances, but that's about all they have in common. Cannabis generally brightens perception of color and may, at high doses, result in closed eye geometric or fractal patterns, but very, very little in terms of open eye visuals, besides minor trails/tracers/whatever they're referred to in your area.

Psilocybin can caused significant open eye visual distortions and a very altered, tangential thought process that can lead one to great personal epiphanies that may be wanted or not, comfortable or not, but the perspective shift occurs very reliably and theres little that can be done once it happens outside of benzodiazepines and antipsychotics.

I had one of the most important revelations of my life on psilocybin and it lead to real, long lasting benefits to my life and mental health, but that experience was fairly anxiety ridden and challenging. It's funny, the difficult, uncomfortable trips tend to be the most beneficial.

People who have never tried a psychedelic drug often expect the effects to be marked solely by visual changes, but the real trip is the change in mental state.

If you do try microdosing, I would suggest starting at a level that's borderline homeopathic and have a trusted associate present in case you get in over your head, then work up to bare threshold effects for a microdose. I've never done a lot of microdosing with psilocybin, but had very good experiences with threshold doses of 2C-x's and allylescaline. I've used psilocybin derivatives like 4-ho/aco-dipt to good effects at threshold doses as well.

It should be noted that I had many strong trips on a variety of psychedelics before I tried microdosing.

Be safe and let us know how it goes and feel free to ask any additional questions, we are a harm reduction board after all😉

I get an adverse reaction from THC. It just makes me sick in a way I can't even describe. But I wanna try psilocybe in microdosing to try and treat depression. How similar are these 2?

Imho stupid idea to try a hallucinogen to treat depression. There are sooo many ADs which are proofen to work, to be safe and which are most likely cheaper. Also the side effects are basically negligible if compered to any hallucinogen. Sorry, but I think that's just nonsense.

I have tried microdosing 4-aco-dmt which is (for all intents and purposes) synthetic psilocybin and it made me feel weird and sleepy. I tried 4-ho-met and it was similar. The dosage is trickier and using actual plant material is even trickier.

LSD and 1P-LSD are better options for microdosing in my experience. 5-10ug is a good microcode.

To be honest microdosing seems to have little usefulness in the long-term treatment of depression. It could be useful for a particularly down period i suppose. Maximum therapeutic effect, particularly in the case of trauma might be seen by actual psychedelic doses.

Imho stupid idea to try a hallucinogen to treat depression. There are sooo many ADs which are proofen to work, to be safe and which are most likely cheaper. Also the side effects are basically negligible if compered to any hallucinogen. Sorry, but I think that's just nonsense.

You know he's referring to some recent published studies about this topic, right?

I find it interesting how you're trying to downplay anti depressants safety record though. There are many documented cases of people cold turkeying their anti depressants and doing something crazy, including murders. Eric Harris, of Columbine infamy, was on zoloft and had homicidal ideation that he told his doctor about. They prescribed a different brand of the same drug. I'm not arguing that hallucinogens aren't dangerous, or that they're not more potentially dangerous than anti-depressants. But nonetheless, there is mounting evidence, gathered using the scientific method, that is starting to show promise for using hallucinogens for alleviating depression. I guess my point is- it's not nonsense, to quote you. And FYI, SSRIs cause hair thinning in a lot of people. Also can cause sexual dysfunction or inability to climax. The truth is anti-depressants are being overprescribed. Just like opioids were. Because pharmaceutical companies are selling a product.

I used to micro dose ( 1/4 dried cap>1/2 gr) to test out strains. I found i was able to discern differences more accurately.
Settled on huatlah as overall cube fav.
I’d take at lunch if the job was flowing well, or before leaving work. ( Rural area, alternate route).
My advice first time is don’t sweat it, have something menial and routine to do for first two hours after ( raking leaves, drawing) a bit of good tunage for background.
No worries, not gonna wreck ya like dabs or wax. Take it after a meal. You’ll find the sun gets sunnier, the woods a bit woodsier. If agreeable to ya, 2 on 3 off.

The 2 most beneficial experiences in my life from a mental health perspective were induced by psilocybin and allylescaline respectively. Go look up psychedelic studies on pubmed.gov and check out the research being done by MAPS before you simply assume something is impossible. Erowid.org has tons of info on the subject as well. Educate yourself of the topic before simply declaring it nonsense...

Off topic a bit: I prefer to microdose a chemical that I'm already familiar with at a known dose and known potency, hence my preference for research chemicals for microdosing. If you try at least a +2 dose of a chemical you plan to microdose, you'll likely be able to perceive the effects at a lower dose than solely microdosing. That's what works best for me at least. Plants/fungi are just too variable in potency to get sufficient consistency without breaking down to a homogeneous powder...

Last edited:
I believe you may benefit from researching studies proving benefits of psychoactives and hallucinogens for depression,PTSD ( pre and post) as well as ketamine infusion therapy. Hello greenlighter!

I believe you may benefit from researching studies proving benefits of psychoactives and hallucinogens for depression,PTSD ( pre and post) as well as ketamine infusion therapy. Hello greenlighter!
Oh, and manners, research manners too. It’s proofen to make others more receptive to your opinion/ views.

Microdosing, while of questionable efficacy, is far less detrimental to health than conventional antidepressants. If it works then it would of course be superior.

When it comes to a severely depressed patient however one might say the best route may be via conventional pharmacotherapies unfortunately, despite being deeply flawed. Microdosing is just not accessible and can't be monitored by a mental health practitioner. My hope is that in 50 years our current antidepressants would seem medieval, but then again we still use old psychotropic drugs like amphetamines, methylphenidate and benzodiazepines...

Microdosing, while of questionable efficacy, is far less detrimental to health than conventional antidepressants. If it works then it would of course be superior.

When it comes to a severely depressed patient however one might say the best route may be via conventional pharmacotherapies unfortunately, despite being deeply flawed. Microdosing is just not accessible and can't be monitored by a mental health practitioner. My hope is that in 50 years our current antidepressants would seem medieval, but then again we still use old psychotropic drugs like amphetamines, methylphenidate and benzodiazepines...
Don’t think OP would have asked if unavailable. Just sayin

And would you not agree that, if available, and agree that least harmful, would absolutely be preferred starting point? Taking in to consideration all other factors, which complete history wasn’t given.

And would you not agree that, if available, and agree that least harmful, would absolutely be preferred starting point? Taking in to consideration all other factors, which complete history wasn’t given.

Yeah I definitely agree. I think LSD or its many prodrugs would be the best choice.

Yeah I definitely agree. I think LSD or its many prodrugs would be the best choice.
I rant about DSM gaining so many new categories. That’s not my gripe really, so much as lack of advances on treatment/ management end. They’re still adjusting wristwatches with sledgehammers.
In Western medicine, every injury, be it strain or break rest is prescribed. Except the brain.

Mushrooms and cannabis are similar in that they are both psychedelics and tend to increase sense perception, cause visual and audio distortions (enhanced colors, music, etc) and slow down one's sense of time. They both tend to create introspection and altered sense of self/ego dissolution albeit in different ways. They tend to induce a "high" or euphoric feeling.

However, despite those similarities, they are very different drugs. I would say psilocybin is much less predictable. You never really know what sort of trip you are going to get, whereas with cannabis, at least some of the feelings tend to be reproduceable. Psilocybin will also tend to be more emotional and much more of an emotional rollercoaster than THC.

If you're microdosing you shouldn't be taking enough to feel any of the actual psychoactive effects - i.e. it shouldn't make you anxious at all.

Look, I know we’re all high here lol. But sometimes this feels like creative writing 101. Not q&a.
THE POSTER ASKED ABOUT MICRODOSING! Don’t need novella on how thc and psylo both blah blah blah. Gee, I have good writing skills, think I’ll just blah blah blah blah blah blah blah