• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How seriously can you take the psychedelic magic?

Lackasham

Bluelighter
Well the title pretty much explains it. Obviously a lot of things that happen while tripping are all just made up but some of the magic has a very real aspect to it in my opinion.

I have had this experience multiple times where something very strange will be happening and before I can mention it to the people in my group someone else will mention the same thing.

So how real are these experiences? Are they just drug induced delusions or a little bit of some real "magic"

The extent to which our "mental lives" or "minds" are private, enclosed, discrete and shut off from other minds is typically overstated. In fact, both philosophy and the natural sciences can quite consistently hold that mental events and activities are in some sense "out there" in the world. To have an hallucination or a perception across a group of "individuals" is not all that mysterious when we come to understand that "individuality" in that robust sense of "being a separate person with a private mental life" actually occurs quite late in the genesis of the phenomenal field. We perceive things all the time that do not obey the algebraic laws of the emergent field, because the field itself extends into deep topologies that are not field-like in the slightest. However, languages, typically conceived, bear meaning on the basis of certain field-like, recursive additive and subtractive properties of sequences of symbols and/or sounds. This is where "words fail me," "words cannot describe," and yet the perception is quite real. Cases of synchronicity are also common among long-term spouses, soldiers, twins, musicians, actors, and even random people whose relations are difficult to discern.

Aside from questions of synchronicity, the "reality" of our world is that a large portion of the world we live in is intersubjectively constituted. That means that psychedelic insights will become real if you take the effort to bring them into the social world with you as you go about participating in the intersubjective constitution of our world.

The school of thought that is being churned out by our education system and other government financed institutions serves the purpose of inhibiting thought. Logic would tell anyone who has the right set of eyes that they do not want the children to be educated. They do not want people to think too much. That is why our country and our world has become proliferated with mass media, amusements, and every kind of stimulus that keeps the human mind entertained. So we don't get in the way of important people... by doing too much thinking...

you have to remember before we had all of this... the internet, the tv, organized culture. There was an essence, or a magic to life and the world which we are growing very distant and separate from. Before "distraction" and mainsteam idealogues there existed a time, when Love, conquered all. Love, is the last thread of magic we hold onto as a culture. Maybe Music. but they are doing a pretty good job turning music into utter shit as well.

Do me a favor, take 15mg of 2c-e sublingually under the tounge, and during your trip listen to Tool, and The Mars Volta. Let the intensity of the music overwhelm all of your senses to the point of Ego Death... and then ask yourself if Magic still exists in the world.

I prefer not to call it psychedelic magic but psychedelic illusionism

I think you should endeavor to observe all phenomena (sensation and mental forms) without judgement or exclusion.
Without adding fake stuff to it, or trying to make it fit someone else's expression of the universe as it is to them.

This is the world as it is to you, and it keeps on shifting, so if you get tangled up in compromises of perception, then you miss a majority of what is happening.

Stoned or not stoned, you can take that seriously. (It could be the manifesto of being according to pupnik)

Individuals are nearly identical.

Optical illusions are not unique experiences. We all see the same ones given similar patterns. A grid of black lines produces black dots. Extends to other patterns.

Suggestibility.

When given a chaotic pattern, listening to a record player in reverse, and you are told how someone else had interpreted the noise; this will be close to the actual pattern and you will hear the sound perfectly, even though it is only chaotic noise.

Synesthesia.

The crossing of one type of sense to express itself as another sense. The vibrating sounds of a cement mixer may cause your eyes to see vibrating colors, no reason this crossing over will not produce the same outcome for different people. Under similar enough conditions and similar thinking individuals, the same illusions evolve.

Time distortion.

Confusion over the order of events, memories are not necessarily stored in the order they occurred. What you remember being said is not necessarily how others will remember events.

Synchronicity.

Unnecessarily complex explanations, smoothing over your interpretation, neglecting the fact that a number of relatable experiences will invariably occur due to chance that are in no way related. We constantly anticipate patterns, to give reason.

Yearning.

Wanting extraordinary things to be true, enjoy feeling of the inexplicable. Finding more complex meaning to casual observations. There is no basketball on top the television, why is that?

Individuals are nearly identical.

Optical illusions are not unique experiences. We all see the same ones given similar patterns. A grid of black lines produces black dots. Extends to other patterns.

Suggestibility.

When given a chaotic pattern, listening to a record player in reverse, and you are told how someone else had interpreted the noise; this will be close to the actual pattern and you will hear the sound perfectly, even though it is only chaotic noise.

Synesthesia.

The crossing of one type of sense to express itself as another sense. The vibrating sounds of a cement mixer may cause your eyes to see vibrating colors, no reason this crossing over will not produce the same outcome for different people. Under similar enough conditions and similar thinking individuals, the same illusions evolve.

Time distortion.

Confusion over the order of events, memories are not necessarily stored in the order they occurred. What you remember being said is not necessarily how others will remember events.

Synchronicity.

Unnecessarily complex explanations, smoothing over your interpretation, neglecting the fact that a number of relatable experiences will invariably occur due to chance that are in no way related. We constantly anticipate patterns, to give reason.

Yearning.

Wanting extraordinary things to be true, enjoy feeling of the inexplicable. Finding more complex meaning to casual observations. There is no basketball on top the television, why is that?
This sums it up pretty darn well I think.

I think, to me, the beauty of psychedelics is not that they create magic in the world, but rather that they let us see how magical the world already is. They bring the childlike wonder back... So every happy coincidence seems like a tremendous earth-shattering connection.

Arguably part of the magic comes from the 'novelty' center in the brain (locus coereleus) lighting up like a christmas tree. At least Dave Nichols says they do. Which would explain why it can feel like you are seeing everything for the first time and when the novelty feeling persists it can be pretty profound as if seeing the true nature of things. This is of course helped by other meditative effects influencing awareness / attention and perception and eventually how we give meaning, even if we feel like we are finding it.

Your reality is constructed by your brain in a simulatory manner. It simulates what reality probably is, according to it, and in a fashion that makes it easier to hunt food and survive. Mushrooms perturb its chemistry providing another picture of what reality could be without certain restricting filters and general dullness of the brain's survivalist simulation. That's all you can say really. Anything in either direction is scientific materialism (it's JUST parts of the brain confusedly creating illusions) or wishful thinking (I have gone into another dimension). I think if you trust your experience in an intimate way, in that way you know you're not lying to yourself, you can start to really know you're entering a whole other dimension but not really share the idea comfortably with people... same goes with thinking there is magic.

Empower experience, as science doesn't have much of an idea.

Well the title pretty much explains it. Obviously a lot of things that happen while tripping are all just made up but some of the magic has a very real aspect to it in my opinion.

I have had this experience multiple times where something very strange will be happening and before I can mention it to the people in my group someone else will mention the same thing.

So how real are these experiences? Are they just drug induced delusions or a little bit of some real "magic"

The Rainbow Connection by Kermit The Frog

Why are there so many songs about rainbows
and what's on the other side?
Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,
and rainbows have nothing to hide.
So we've been told and some choose to believe it.
I know they're wrong, wait and see.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

Who said that every wish would be heard
and answered when wished on the morning star?
Somebody thought of that and someone believed it.
Look what it's done so far.
What's so amazing that keeps us star gazing
and what do we think we might see?

All of us under its spell. We know that it's probably magic.

Have you been half asleep and have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name.
Is this the sweet sound that called the young sailors.
The voice might be one and the same.
I've heard it too many times to ignore it.
It's something that I'm supposed to be.

I think that DMT and nitrous oxide, specifically, but seperately; cause people to believe in magical concepts they may not have in the past.

Other experiences I think are very interesting but cannot be proven either way currently.