• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How much use will lead to alcoholism?

isaaccain

Bluelighter
My dad already drank a lot, but now, after a bit of testing and surgery, he's found out he's got colorectal cancer, which is heavy news for him, and he's been drinking a bottle of vodka every night, sometimes 700ml, sometimes a litre bottle, and two a night on weekends, and I don't really mind, but he's began putting it before things like owing me a lot of money since September, needing to get the house ready for visitors, and getting the locks changed after losing both our keys. He complains about everything saying shit like 'I'm gonna have to shell out for my car now, and these locks, and repainting the spare room... etc. etc. etc.' but it's all cheaper than his (estimated by moi) 180 quid a week drinking habit, so it starts to piss me off when he says he can't even afford to get some fucking oil so I can have a warm shower but he still spends almost 200 quid on booze.

Anyway, is it bad enough I can tell my doctor to bring it up next time he sees him, like if I said 'Ask my dad how much he drinks next time you see him, if he says less than 7 bottles a week he's lying. Give him blood/liver tests etc. because I'm worried' or something like that, would he blurt out some shit about patient confidentiality or would he just do it?
Thanks

His doctor probably won't discuss your dad's health with you, but he can definitely take what you tell him into consideration. If drinking is causing financial issues, then it's definitely become a major problem

that is definitely too much, but in the grand scheme of things, he's already in some pretty imminent danger.
obviously, i don't know him or have any clue about what you and he are going through, all i know is your dads going through some heavy shit right now man.

nothing wrong with raising it with the doctor, i encourage that actually, but speak to your dad about it before you do. i think anyone could appreciate a bit of care and candor from their loved ones in difficult times.
and i'm not quite sure where you were going at the end? your doctor can't force any sort of test on your dad unwillingly.
sorry if i got that mixed up i'm a kinda high

I'm not sure what I was getting at either I think I meant like that was just an excuse to bring it up with him. All I really care about here is the fact he's spending all his money on booze, I mean he's gonna die anyway so if he can forget that I don't mind him hurting his liver or whatever since he's not very well anyway. He's also really awkward when he's drunk, like he tries to hard to sound sober and that pisses me off too, so I'd rather he just accepted that I know he drinks every night (he hides it, like he drinks in his room and when I go up to get some painkillers or something he'll shout and make an excuse and send me downstairs) and telling the doctor would be a good way to do that without having to bring it up with him I suppose.

I agree with keeping. I don't know the dynamic you guys have, but it might be better for both of you to talk about it.

... telling the doctor would be a good way to do that without having to bring it up with him I suppose.

you should really talk to him, let him know you're there. o figure it must be quite scary and lonely.
of course, love and support is no substitute for medical knowledge, but maybe try a bit of it first?

Try this:

" Hey, Dad, I know you drink a lot. No need to pretend with me. After all, I'm here talking to you because I'm copping some painkillers. I'm in no position to judge."

"You've been an ok father and all that, but you're in poor health and all that booze isn't helping. Besides, i like taking hot showers and your heavy drinking is cutting into our heating budget."

" So whatsay we put our heads together and find a solution? Cut back on the sauce. You'll feel better and I'll get to have you around longer plus we'll have more money for necessities."

" If you do that, then I'll put a wiggle in my ass and help out with the heating bills and such. I'll also try my damnedest to cut back on my drug use too, because I'd never ask you to do anything I wouldn't do myself to help make ends meet. "

"Good talk, Pop. I love you. We'll get through this together."

Last edited:
Sounds like you might want to arrange an intervention for your dad. 1 on 1's never go very well. Lots of denial, yelling, etc. No one wants to accept they're an addict, and you're going to need a lot of support to get people to accept the truth.