• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

How much is to much Seroquel?

ThatOneDude!

Bluelighter
I believe one of the main reasons i am taking Seroquel to begin with is the fact that i am no longer currently receiving my Xanax every month! Also I should note that I am a lil bit of a skitzo, and have nerves that flare up a lot, and also i tend to feel that I have a constant level of nervous anxiety that is subtle.

So. I am taking a variety of medication. For now, I will assume those are irrelevant.
More to the point, I am given Seroquel 100mg (x60) to take twice daily. More of a PRN however I find its time to take effect is inconvenient so i take one morning, and the other later just after noon, to sometime afternoon, or maybe later into the evening.

Then I also receive another bottle of Seroquel 400mg (x30) to take for sleep. however i just take it late at night, or late in the evening sometimes. help keep me controlled. most the time i take it when i go to bed tho. along with sometimes some dhm (benadryl)

So First: I have noticed that when I take the 400mg one late evening or at night, but NOT when im going to bed. then i will go to write or type or do some form of equivalent task with my hands and it feels very slightly rigid in movement, and i dont know if its a good stoned kinda feeling to go with it or a not some comfortable feeling to go with this rigid movement, but it definitely fuks up my hand writing.

Second: i added it up.
400x30=12,000mg
100x60=6,000mg
12k+6k=18 Thousand

Then let me quote drugs.com
"Never take Seroquel in larger amounts, or for longer than recommended by your doctor. High doses or long-term use can cause a serious movement disorder that may not be reversible. Symptoms of this disorder include tremors or other uncontrollable muscle movements."

Any wisdom and knowledge you guys have for me? I think 18 grand of a mg dose sounds rather high to me.....

Last edited:
Which other drugs do you take, and which other medications do you take that you're prescribed?

Talk to your doctor that prescribes you the seroquel about any side effects you do not like, or different medications you can take, about being schizophrenic the nerve issues, and the dosage. I am moving this to other drugs.

Last edited:
My mother got tardive diskonesia from her psyc meds, from the old maois to the new ssri's and all kinds of aps including seroquil, she would take large amts like u. Her face twiches like crazy, it's like she's chewing on something almost. Shit is fucked up man. Not saying ur gonna get it or anything, just saying...

My mother got tardive diskonesia from her psyc meds, from the old maois to the new ssri's and all kinds of aps including seroquil, she would take large amts like u. Her face twiches like crazy, it's like she's chewing on something almost. Shit is fucked up man. Not saying ur gonna get it or anything, just saying...

The stuff that gives you Tardive Dyskinesia are the Dopamine Antagonists. So you won't get it from MAOIs nor from SSRIs.
In other words, the greatest risk for developing TD comes from oldschool antipsychotics like Haloperidol or Thorazine, whereas Seroquel only causes TD if taken in extremely high doses as it primarily targets serotonin receptors. Still, 600mg a day *is* a pretty hefty dose.

Well I was taking a gram a day and it drove me to the brink of insanity. I'll never take it again and even though I'm hooked on benzos and opiates now I thank the lord that I've been off that stuff for years now. It's the most miserable thing I have ever put in my body.

One time i took 1600mg i was dope sick and trying to knock myself out i didnt really feel it but i couldn't walk

The worst side effect I noticed from taking seroquel (300mg at bedtime) was sleep eating. I would getup while asleep and eat a serious amount of food. This led to me gaining weight at an uncontrollable rate. I also had morning fogginess. In all honesty and fairness, I would try to steer clear of APs unless you really need them. They are incredibly powerful medications that have intense side effects. I would weigh every option with your doctor first, and seek a second opinion no matter what. (three heads are better than two (you and your doctor))

One time i took 1600mg i was dope sick and trying to knock myself out i didnt really feel it but i couldn't walk

Careful with obscene doses of antipsychotics: You might get to the point where the anticholinergic effects become dominant, leading to dangerous seizures, cardiac arrythmia, hyperthermia and/or delirium.

Haven't used it in a long time, its not a good drug kinda pointless over 100mg

Which other drugs do you take, and which other medications do you take that you're prescribed?

Talk to your doctor that prescribes you the seroquel about any side effects you do not like, or different medications you can take, about being schizophrenic the nerve issues, and the dosage. I am moving this to other drugs.

I am also taking Lyrica 150mg (three times daily) and i wish it was 300mgs...., Clonidine 0.1mg (twice daily), and Depakote 1,000mg (once a day)

Well I was taking a gram a day and it drove me to the brink of insanity. I'll never take it again and even though I'm hooked on benzos and opiates now I thank the lord that I've been off that stuff for years now. It's the most miserable thing I have ever put in my body.

Yah, i was taking 2mg Xanax a day! i needed it as its really only been the ONLY PRN i've had so far. i dont know alternative PRN suggestions? I fear my doc has this, "I'm a DrugSeeker!" view of me. I dont know how i can get the benzos back ever?

Oh yah, i also take BUSPAR!! fukin joke...... i was taking 2mg Xanax a day for... well since 2013 i have an old bottle so yah..... how can i get a benzo or another PRN?

Last edited:
You're suffering dystonia or muscle stiffness from the high dose of Seroquel you are on. You need your doseage cut, to be switched to another atypical antipsychotic, and no matter what antipsychotic you take, likely will need to take Cogentin (Benzotropine) with your AP to help with the muscle rigidity you are experiencing from the AP

Note that Seroquel is an odd drug in that it induces sleep much better in lower doses, with 100 mg being considered the usual top dosage for sleep induction. Higher doses are used for control of bipolar mania and for treatment of psychosis.

It is imperative that you report the muscle rigidity to your prescribing physician asap. That rigidity can spread to impact the involuntary muscles used in breathing and swallowing, which is not a good thing at all.

Benadryl counters some of rigidity, but is not a cure or anything other than a "rescue" med. Please report this side effect to your doctor as soon as possible.

I'm bipolar and have my share of atypical antipsychotic war stories as regards dystonia. Tardive dyskinasia is scarier because it can become permanent if causative med is not discontued asap.

NEVER try to discontinue an AP med without professional supervision. They must be tapered as you are titrated up on a replacement med.

APs really fuck with dopamine and any recreational drugs that screw with dopamine must be avoided while taking antipsychotic meds.

Keep us posted on how things go. If you have any questions about psych meds on a layman's level, feel free to ask. I'm not a veteran of modern drugs though count myself lucky to have survived the seventies with most of my brain cells intact. I do, due to my bipolar, count myself as quite experienced with antipsychotic meds and mood stabiliizers.

Also, if you are taking seroquel or any other atypical antipsychotic, such as Zyprexa or Risperadol, please make sure your doc monitors your blood sugar, blood lipids, and weight gains. These things can really fuck you over health wise, and shrinks tend to pass them out like jellybeans.

One more thing re: Risperadol

Have your doc watch your prolactin levels if s/he puts you on Risperadol. It can cause an increase in serum prolactin levels,which can cause breast development (gynacomastia) or even lactation in males, as well as messing up male hormones in general.

If you are bipolar and wind up on lithium, make sure thyroid levels are monitored. Lithium eats thyroid glands.

Wow....... well jeez! thanks UpInFlames! I will report ASAP!! and honestly, im like on the verge of being a skitzo, its probably more a mania or just a bipolar disorder or i dont know, anxiety has always been the major problem! From the beginning i was first diagnosed with SAD and GAD at one point i had panic disorder but that has passed. I was given seroquel, believe it or not, after i was abruptly taken off of Xanax, after taking it since 2013! because he found out i had dabbled with some meth earlier this summer. i was (in my mind) then associated with being a drug seeker, and to avoid giving me Xanax. He told me "well you cant take a benzo in rehab..." and something to help control my anxious nerves is depakote and seroquel!! yah Buspar is a joke but i snort that with my clonidine which im also given. and its rather nice. im just not liking the side effects i get from depakote and seroquel!! Both nasty ass drugs!

But yah thanks for ur info! big help!!

That One Dude,

In general, modern good shrinks don't like to hand out benzos and they REALLY don't like to to hand out Xanax.

You are currently being medicated as if you have bipolar, though Buspar is a lousy anti-anxiety med for bipolars as it can trigger mania.

I'm actually not comfortable with people being medicated for mental illness unless they have had either neuropsychological testing (takes about 8-10 hours), or a multi-disciplinary evaluation.

These are VERY potent meds with a LOT of nasty side effects, and shouldn't be thrown scatter-shot at a set of symptoms without knowing what exactly you are medicating.

For example, though antipsychotics are used in schizophrenia, bipolar, AND schizoaffective disorder (bipolar with psychosis), the way in which they are dosed is different for each disorder.

BTW, Depakote causes weight gain, tremor, and cognitive dulling. It is a seizure medication first and foremost, used as a mood stabilizer in bipolar disorder, and in rare cases, as a treatment for chronic migraine.

Depakote is also a liver toxin. Depakote blood levels must be checked regularly to make sure they are within therapeutic range, and liver function must be monitored.

I was on Depakote for several years and while it was an effective mood stabilizer, I had to go off of it when my liver enzymes went above healthy levels.

The med also cost me a genius level IQ. I'm lucky in that i had a few synapses to spare so am still functional, but it is a difference that is noticeable to me, and to close family and friends.

The Depakote shakes cleared up with cessation of the drug. Unfortunately, the IQ didn't come back.

Please do what you can to get a proper evaluation so that you and your medical team know exactly what you are up against.

I'd hate for you to be taking meds you don't need, or too much of meds you do need. You should also have a complete physical including blood work to check thyroid function and the like, and vitamin levels, as problems with these can mimic mental illness.

And...quite snorting your Buspar! It's bioavailability by mouth is quite good, it's full of fillers that are bad for your nose, and PLEASE don't tell me you are also snorting Clonidine.

Also, a warning, and please heed this Under NOT circumstances stop either your Depakote or your Clonidine cold turkey. Because Depakote is an anti-seizure med, stopping it suddenly can cause dangerous seizures even in people who do not have a seizure disorder to start with.

Stopping Clonidine suddenly can lead to a hypertensive crisis, which is when one's blood pressure shoots up to dangerously high levels.

One last thing and I'll stop acting like a nervous auntie: I don't know what drugs you normally use recreationally, but if you are either bipolar or schizophrenic/schizoactive, you should avoid THC or any of it's analogues. That class of drugs can exacerbate/cause psychosis in succeptible individuals.

Make that two last things: several large studies down in the US and abroad, along with anecdotal evidence, have shown that bipolar individuals have a much higher rate of addiction than the general population.

My guess is, as a person who has bipolar, that these individuals are trying to numb the anxiety and emotional pain the disorder causes. Add in that many BP sufferers find mania to be pleasurable and look for ways to extend that feeling, and you can see where BP folks are at risk of becoming addicted to everything from alcohol and other depressants, to meth.

Be careful out there!

And...quite snorting your Buspar! It's bioavailability by mouth is quite good, it's full of fillers that are bad for your nose, and PLEASE don't tell me you are also snorting Clonidine.

well...... i find several sites state the opposite! Buspar having super low, like arround 4 or 16% orally and arround 88% insufflated, and i do get high snorting about a mix of buspar and clonidine, i take clonidine both ways, orally and nasally. the mix of .1mg clonidine to 10 mg Buspar, is nice high!!

either way orally on both sounds much more healthier.....

and then rescently, i thought i was switching my day Seroquel with 100mg twice/day. Now i got a bottle of Vistaril for 50mg 2x/day and well its awesome, Vistaril and Clonidine. i definitally take my Hyrdoxyzine PAM Orally as i find its effects start working 15-30 minutes and around 45mins do the very nice relaxing effects kick in then. and like its awesome, for xanax replacement. clonidine (orally) and later timed right with Vistaril its awesome!

altho my doc always gives me meds with 3 refils. and so he gave me no refils on this one, which is slightly odd..... i dont know i'll just show up to ask for more i figure....... so now i think its just the 400mg Seroquel/night. later i might ask for some other sleep med. i doubt i could get something like Ambien!...... altho i would love that, the Seroquel SUCKS!!!!

but yah htanks a bunch for all ur help. i missed a dose of clonidine, which i do a lot of, over time i mean, but missed dose and some rebound hypertension definitly started to kick in.

and yah i seem to be strangely diagnosed no longer from anxiety stuff but now to Bipolar II disorder. I have erge to do clonidine and buspar recreationally, i could EASILY snort .2-.3 mg clonidine with 10-30 mg Buspar, i get the 30mg bars!!! and i have Severe Emotional Pain, and Severe problems with nervousness and anxiety attacks when ever my life comes to my mind.

Emotional bullshit i said? Yah, i got Pains i dint need to mention. but its like......... all i have is doctor say keep takin depakote, "ALL it does is increase Gaba levels in my brain..." lol and yah i have a secret stash of Xanax hehe! but why the no refils on the Vistaril, i find it is an excellent xanax replacement, and 50-75mg doeses.......

who knows....

Thanks again for your support!!!!

Well, Xanax is a shitty drug for people with mental illness. It hits hard, doesn't last long, and you come down hard. It also can cause depression, which is a major feature of BP II. It's also addictive as hell.

Vistaril is normally dosed at 25mg. It's possible you weren't given refills on it because of the high dose you were RXed. It also potentiates other meds.

It's hard to try to help you because you are abusing your psych meds for a high, which is something I don't do. I figure my head is screwed up enough from taking them properly, I don't need to come up with ways to further beat on my receptors.

Be VERY careful with the clonidine. Messing with that med can wind up killing your ass. The Xanax affects how all your other meds work.

If you are not dependent on your meds the way you are currently using them, I'd advise trying them just as prescribed for 90 days, without any other drugs of any kind, including alcohol. That's going to be the only way to report back to your pdoc honestly as to how the meds are working for you.

The one exception to this is ifyou've managed to become dependent on the Xanax. If that's the case, do not quit that CT. Get with your pdoc, spill it, and let him/her help you get off the shit. And once you are clean, stay off the other drugs.

Bipolar people have seriously screwed up Dopamine, Seratonin, Norepinephrine, and GABA pathways in their brains. The drugs prescribed to BP-ers are to try to normalize those pathways. Taking recreational drugs,which impact those same pathways,means that the RXed meds can't work properly because the receptors they need to hit are full of street drugs.

Using street drugs also screws up diagnosis of mental illness, especially schizophrenia and bipolar as effects of the illnesses can be mistaken for drug intoxication or vice versa.

You need to give your treatment team a chance to help you, and in order to do that, you've got to be honest iwth them and yoursef, and that means giving your meds a fair trial by taking them in amounts RXed and by the prescribed ROA, and not mixing them with chemicals not prescribed to treat legitimate illnesses under a doctor's supervision.

I realize I sound like a fussy old lady, here, but I've diagnosed bipolar for many years, have been reasonably stable for many years, and this lifestyle is what has worked for me. Even with that, I managed to pick up a benzo dependency by taking benzos as prescribed for many years. My new pdoc and I are planning on doing a long,slow, diazapam taper to get me off of the benzos (Ativan and Temazepam) once we know that i can tolerate a change in AP at therapeutic levels. (I'm still titrating up and feeling rather weird.

All I'm asking is that you give the meds a fair 90 day trial to see if they can help you. Also, ask your doctor about behavioral therapy for the anxiety. It is often much more helpful than the pills are, especially as you don't sound stable enough to go on an SSRI at this point without flying manic from it.

Dude how do you even take seroquil!? You don't get the restless leg syndrom when taking this medication!? I knew people prescribed with high doses such as 500-800mg so I'd assume that that dose would be safe if the doctors were prescribing it...I would try talking with a doctor to see if you can get something that works equally effectively without having to take a huge dose that could be potentially dangerous when taken long term.

Wow....... well jeez! thanks UpInFlames! I will report ASAP!! and honestly, im like on the verge of being a skitzo, i!

This is probably related to you stopping benzos abruptly. You mentioned you were on at least 2mgs of xanax a day for a goof chunk of time. I'm nearly certain you're hurting from the discontinuation, as it can take months to heal from and can very well make you feel "schizo".

im amazed the amounts of seroquel people can tolerate. For me, even 25mg and i feel it well into the next day and it feels bad.

Ive noticed low doses will put you to sleep but high ones will keep you up