• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How much duration does grapefruit add to the effects of OPIOIDS/OPIATES

problemz

Greenlighter
I know youre going to say UTFSE but ive used it time and time again and i would just like an answer, a straight answer if possible. Btw im new here, HI! I am a chronic pain patient who has been suffering (at times for up to a year at a time bedridden) in pain since i was 15. Im just looking to expand my knowledge in things that have become a large part of my life. Thank you all for contributing and for the amazing information i have obtained from reading these forums/your posts. I really appreciate it. Anyways my question it how much longer will the effects of my painkillers last with a substatial amout of grapefruit juice, ive heard the words "quite a while longer" or something along those lines ALOT. but never a straight answer or even estimate in time for extension of duration.
Specific drug would be hydromorphone, but from time to time (surgeries, etc.) I am prescribed percocet (oxycodone) aswell.
anyways thank you for your time and knowledge, any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks you, and sorry my post was so long,
Problemz

Yes we do have many threads on opiate potentiation using white grapefruit juice.
(Homeless ------ > Basic Drug Discussion)

Hi thank you for your time, but that wasnt my question. I am aware there are many posts/threads about grapefruit for potentiation. But i have never found specific info about the increase in duration (how much longer the effects last, not just "quite a while longer").
Anyways thank you for your time, and moving my post into the proper category.

I know youre going to say UTFSE but ive used it time and time again and i would just like an answer, a straight answer if possible. Btw im new here, HI! I am a chronic pain patient who has been suffering (at times for up to a year at a time bedridden) in pain since i was 15. Im just looking to expand my knowledge in things that have become a large part of my life. Thank you all for contributing and for the amazing information i have obtained from reading these forums/your posts. I really appreciate it. Anyways my question it how much longer will the effects of my painkillers last with a substatial amout of grapefruit juice, ive heard the words "quite a while longer" or something along those lines ALOT. but never a straight answer or even estimate in time for extension of duration.
Specific drug would be hydromorphone, but from time to time (surgeries, etc.) I am prescribed percocet (oxycodone) aswell.
anyways thank you for your time and knowledge, any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks you, and sorry my post was so long,
Problemz
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=D0yVVq3fAcmsaZrat-AI

I don't have a straight answer either as I've never gone that route. If you're tired of searching maybe go get some grapefruit and run a test for yourself. You could post results into this thread and then future generations will have an answer. Swear I'm not trying to be tounge in cheek. it's just one of those "everyone's different" kinda things.

Hi allornothing thanks for your input, and time. Ive done it many times (and right now hehe) and i find with oxycodone i get about 3 - 3&1/2 hrs duration, depending on the dose, but with 2-3 grapefruit (fresh) with my oxy i get about 4&1/2 - 5 hrs duration(again depends on dose).
Dont really notice it with HyMo. Just my experience.

Would like to know more about if it does effect Hydromorphone if anyone knows, some people say it does but unlike other opiates it isnt scientifically proven because of the specific metabolite through which it is processed.
I for one, havent noticed much if any differance.
Anyways all help is appreciated,
Thanks.

The GFJ inhibits the liver enzyme (CYP3A4) that is responsible for hydrocodone/oxycodone metabolism. Hydromorphone, oxymorphone and morphine get metabolized through a different mechanism than hydrocodone and oxycodone so GFJ will have no effect on duration of those. I used to use GFJ and I finally stopped mostly because it tastes so horrible. An alternative that a lot of people use is Tagamet (600 mg) which is also a CYP inhibitor.

Just from a chronic pain management perspective, I would ask your doctor about controlled release oxycodone (OP) or Opana, which will give a more steady blood level of drug for 12 h or so and just keep the percocet on hand for the bad days of breakthrough pain. That way you aren't having to resort to messing with your liver to stay pain free.

Hi there pill_head! Thank you for your time & your response! Cleared a couple things up for me. Im in canada and unfortionately, we dont get opana. We only get oxyneo, for the CR oxycodone. Im currently on hydromorph contin, quite a bit of it (it seems to be the best CR pain med we have here, with the patch being an exception). With dilaudid (hydromorphone) for breakthrough. I get the percocet when i have surgeries, very rarely do the surgeons up here feel comfortable prescibing hydromorphone. I very rarely take the percocet, as i find it dilaudid to work much better for breakthru pain. I only take it when i run out of dilaudid. So with that being said do you know if a) tagamet is available in canada? (Im having trouble finding info on that) & b)if it works on the metabolite that works on hydromorphone?

Thank you so much for your help, time, and valued information.
From one chronic pain patient to another, i am tremendously sorry you are stuck in this situation. I truely hope your pain gets better someday. Good luck, friend.

Problemz

The GFJ inhibits the liver enzyme (CYP3A4) that is responsible for hydrocodone/oxycodone metabolism. Hydromorphone, oxymorphone and morphine get metabolized through a different mechanism than hydrocodone and oxycodone so GFJ will have no effect on duration of those. .

GFJ will work fine on oral morphine.

Other than tagamet are there any other ways to potentiate oral hydromorphone? Please help. I only get 30x4mg every 28 days plus 27mg a day of hydromorph contin. I have to take 8-12mg at a time to releive pain. Again, any & all help appreciated. Thank you for your time.