• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How much can I reduce my Ritalin dose for the withdrawal effects to be tolerable?

I am taking Sertraline for depression, 300 mg a day, been 3-4 months I'm not sure how much better it has made me. The doctor that prescribed it also prescribed Olanzapine and Clonidine which I later realized probably was to inhibit stimulant psychosis and heart problems with such high dose of Ritalin I'm abusing. she believes that unless I'm hospitalized, I should taper Ritalin slowly as it can worsen my depression to degrees that could be dangerous (becoming suicidal an all). she is not at all agreeing with my current plan as well, since it's 2 weeks off and I wont have access to her if anything goes wrong. she was like if you're doing it it's on you and has nothing to do with me. she believes I should be hospitalized, and if not that then any change must be done very slowly
Ok so if your depression is that bad (with suicidal ideation) then your situation is quite more complex than being addicted to methylphenidate.
Unfortunately I don't really have the time to elaborate right now (and honestly wouldn't know how to address the whole thing) but now it makes sense why you need extremely high doses of methylphenidate. It's partly because olanzapine is actually blocking its dopaminergic effects, meaning you need to take way more in an attempt to compensate.

Ok so if your depression is that bad (with suicidal ideation) then your situation is quite more complex than being addicted to methylphenidate.
Unfortunately I don't really have the time to elaborate right now (and honestly wouldn't know how to address the whole thing) but now it makes sense why you need extremely high doses of methylphenidate. It's partly because olanzapine is actually blocking its dopaminergic effects, meaning you need to take way more in an attempt to compensate.
I don't have any experience with stimulant withdrawal (or very very limited experience), as before this run, stims were never my thing, but I had a very bad experience with withdrawal at a young age of 22 when I was taken into rehab. back then I was taking 3-5 grams of opium daily (oral) for 3 years, 0.5 of herion daily smoked for 2 months, a shit load of benzos for 5-6 months, and k-hole ketamine every night for 5-6 months. the combination had a withdrawal beyond whatever you can imagine. it was literal hell. and living in a third world country, rehab isn't a place like hospital with doctors giving you sedatives, it is a place run by former addicts pouring ice-cold water on you when it's -10 C outside because "cold water takes the toxins out". I think that is why I'm so afraid of any withdrawal.

I don't have any experience with stimulant withdrawal (or very very limited experience), as before this run, stims were never my thing, but I had a very bad experience with withdrawal at a young age of 22 when I was taken into rehab. back then I was taking 3-5 grams of opium daily (oral) for 3 years, 0.5 of herion daily smoked for 2 months, a shit load of benzos for 5-6 months, and k-hole ketamine every night for 5-6 months. the combination had a withdrawal beyond whatever you can imagine. it was literal hell. and living in a third world country, rehab isn't a place like hospital with doctors giving you sedatives, it is a place run by former addicts pouring ice-cold water on you when it's -10 C outside because "cold water takes the toxins out". I think that is why I'm so afraid of any withdrawal.
Stimulant WD is nothing like the one from benzos and opioids, it's like a walk in the park compared to those (except for the potential depression).

Do you have access to a different doctor/psychiatrist? It might be worth it to get a second opinion regarding your psychological issues.

I thought Olanzapine was the reason I didn't have a break-out of stimulant psychosis at such a high dose, so it has been the reason my dosage has gone up like this. I should probably stop it during this two weeks then. get the most out of the little Ritalin dose I'm keeping

I thought Olanzapine was the reason I didn't have a break-out of stimulant psychosis at such a high dose, so it has been the reason my dosage has gone up like this. I should probably stop it during this two weeks then. get the most out of the little Ritalin dose I'm keeping
Listen I don't want to tell you to stop taking olanzapine because I don't know your full situation, you might actually need it. Plus if you stop cold turkey you could experience olanzapine WD which might be harder than the one from methylphenidate. So yeah...
All I'm saying is that olanzapine is for sure blocking some of the effects of ritalin.

I'd personally go see a different doctor for a second opinion on your depression and the treatment you're getting.

Stimulant WD is nothing like the one from benzos and opioids, it's like a walk in the park compared to those (except for the potential depression).

Do you have access to a different doctor/psychiatrist? It might be worth it to get a second opinion regarding your psychological issues.
I probably should. it seems like some of her decisions were questionable. I always knew she tends to favor hospitalization as she is mainly working in mental hospitals and only one day a week at her office. She insisted on hospitalization and I kept saying that I can't afford its influence on my career and my relationship. Now it might be the paranoia talking but I kinda think she tried to make the situation such that hospitalization seems like the only viable option.

Just quit it cold turkey. After 2 weeks the worst is over. During these 2 weeks take benzos.