• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

How many languages do you speak?

I have a question: I've been wanting to learn another language for a long time. I was wondering what would be the easiest language to learn for someone who has no other language speaking ability other than english.
And also what is the top 3 language's spoken around the world. Obviously english being number one.

Because if i were to travel it would help if i knew say spanish, you could also pick up words in italian ect.

We Freeench Was Chinese Forrr A Whiles Tuu

But I assume, Brad, that alot of those Chinese
are probably hangin' out in Chinese villages
or Chinese cities or Chinese sweatshops
that you probably wouldn't ever see them
doing their Chinese shit let alone be able to
sit down and have a pot of Chinese tea with 'em
an' use your super-fluent Chinese superskills.

Unless they become our overlords.

Kinda like you.
Over me.

I speak English and a little French and Italian (both from school).

I used to be quite good at French, but since leaving High School I have managed to forget almost everything I knew which is quite a shame.

1 Mandarin 1,000,000,000 +
2 English 508,000,000
3 Hindustani 497,000,000
4 Spanish 392,000,000
5 Russian 277,000,000
5 Arabic 246,000,000
7 Bengali 211,000,000
8 Portuguese 191,000,000
9 Malay-Indonesian 159,000,000
10 French 129,000,000

thanks to google but there are many different discrepancies in the order of 2-4 depending on what web page u go to

I speak English fluently (most of the time :)), some German, some Japanese and some Spanish..

I speak fluent english and japanese. I am just starting to learn Spanish now, it's so nice and easy compared to japanese!

Isn't Mandarin spoken by the most people whereas English is spoken in the most places?

Anyway, i speak English obviously. But i learnt German at school until last year, and though i'm no where near fluent, i can have a conversation - as long, as i am familiar with most of the vocabulary.

Although, i would love (and i'm hoping to) go to Germany or Austria and live for a while, and actually get fluent.

^^^ i think you r prob right there... i always mess things up with little things like that

general question: if you were to go backpacking arountd the world which 2 or 3 languages would be the most benificial for you to know? a guy i met from germany told me that through europe english and spanish are prob all you need... whats others opinions?

I speak:
  • Engrish
  • Portuguesian - I understand heaps but speaking due my to non-existant grammattical skills is an issue and can make for interesting conjugations
  • Francais - I speak it better than portuguesian but understand far less.
  • I Understand the gist of conversations in hebrew and know enough words to get a vague message across - when coupled with the important phrase "At[ah] midaberret inglit?" (do you speak english) it can produce awesome and interesting results
  • Gibberish when drunk
  • A smattering of swear words in most languages (we all need a starting point)
  • A host of key phrases in every language i've studied culminating in the ever important "I'm not afraid of my little sister" in mandarin.
  • Enough yiddish to keep eloise amused
  • Fake generic non specific eastern european language at doofs.
  • And due to the latin language base i can understand a fair bit of spanish/italian and even fake them to some degree

Originally posted by UnSquare
But I assume, Brad, that alot of those Chinese
are probably hangin' out in Chinese villages
or Chinese cities or Chinese sweatshops
that you probably wouldn't ever see them
doing their Chinese shit let alone be able to
sit down and have a pot of Chinese tea with 'em
an' use your super-fluent Chinese superskills.

Unless they become our overlords.

Kinda like you.
Over me.

Originally posted by che_melbourne
1 Mandarin 1,000,000,000 +
2 English 508,000,000

see, i knew i was awesome. now unsquare and c_m have confirmed it and you can all go home. or make me some more clothes. those chinese are too slow at it for my liking, and they keep stealing my bread.

Originally posted by ButrosButros_Grantos
Ni hao, wo jiao GeLanTe. Ni Ne?

aw, you just stole all the words i remember. i have nothing to say in return. actually, da bizi! (no idea on the spelling yet. and it's not really a sentence. but still.)

Fluent in French and English, French being my mother tongue.

Understand and speak some Italian and Spanish and comes easier the longer I stay in those places, even though I have never formally learnt those languages (the odd look through a phrase book maybe). I pick it up easy due to my latin base however Spanish takes a bit more getting use to because they speak very fast, well especially in Spain. Though after 3 weeks of been immersed in it im able to understand a local, asks for things and have a limited conversation. Give me 6 months there and I would surpise myself i think.

Last year I spent quite a bit of time in Germany, Austria and Switzerland (German speaking part) and after all that time I dont think I had learnt much German at all. To me it was a very hard and different language to pick up though i wasnt forced to learn as much as many ppl speak some English.

i only speak english fluently, but when i was in south africa i knew enough afrikaans to get me by. and was learning zulu aswell. but i havent used afrikaans or zulu in about 6 years now, and have forgotten most of it :/

1.5 languages.

Full english and half finnish.

Minna aussin bouhavaha nehous suommia?=D

Daniel

PS: Ozbreaker, faux french doesn't count:p :D Tres intelligible non?

^^^ Va te faire foutre pede!

Je parles francais, mais je parles faux-francais aussi!

Je peux parler le français assez bien aussi, assez comprendre vos déchets en tout cas.

^ Faux french and french are not two seperate languages Wayne. The formeryou speak only because your french is BAD.

BAD WAYNE BAD! =D :p

Witch Doctor said:
i only speak english fluently, but when i was in south africa i knew enough afrikaans to get me by. and was learning zulu aswell. but i havent used afrikaans or zulu in about 6 years now, and have forgotten most of it :/

Me too! :). When i was 8, my family spent 6 months in South Africa with my uncle who managed a farm, about 2 hours drive from the town Bredarsdorp. I remember it so clearly, as i was pretty sad the whole time i was there (i was there during the height of apartheid... 1985). I picked up Afrikaans very well, and was speaking it to a competent level, but shit, that was 20 years ago, and while i still have good pronunciation (an Afrikaans woman i used to work with was surprised at how well i pronounced places and names) i couldn't have a conversation in Afrikaans... sad really, as i really like the language. The farm had African servants working on it...i spent most of my time with them (much to the chargrin of the Afrikaans Owner... he didn't like the fact that i "fraternised with the "Blacks") and learnt, to a basic communication leve, the dialect that they spoke. I'm really sad to not know either languages anymore.

The whole experience was really intense and the treatment that Africans received at the hands of the Afrikaans people has stayed with me to this day. :(

*Edit, i'm not sure what the language was that the Africans spoke, i'll ask my parents next time i talk to them. :\

Last edited:
^^^^

wow, awsome you spelt that area name right as well, i lived 1 hr north from there for about 17 years.

so basically you saying.....Ek kan Verstaan Afrikaans baie goed mar ek kan nie praat afrikaan goed nee!
:)

Rubber_Duck said:
^^^^

wow, awsome you spelt that area name right as well, i lived 1 hr north from there for about 17 years.

so basically you saying.....Ek kan Verstaan Afrikaans baie goed mar ek kan nie praat afrikaan goed nee!
:)

LMAO! My brain snapped in half while reading that, but i THINK the gist is that you're saying the i can understand Afrikaans but can't speak it as well? Did i get it? :)

If that's right, then not really =D I can JUST understand it, but it's now, unfortunately mostly lost. :(