• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long does tramadol withdrawal last

Byzek

Bluelighter
oh man i guess i got hooked on tramadol after 6 months of irregular usage.
today is day 10 of quitting tramadol cold turkey.
I am not sure if i have withdrawal symptoms or just the flu.
its not a bad flu, corona was much harder, its just puffy nose and cough, had some lil bit of pain here and there but now its gettin better and better.
i guess the first 5days were pretty normal just on day 6 i got sick, thats why im unsure if i have just a normal flu because of an infection or because im withdrawal from tramadol.
idk.
i am more afraid when i read things in the internet like "having insomnia for 6 months or whatever"
and im more pissed of my mood right now then my flu.
ufffff.

oh man i guess i got hooked on tramadol after 6 months of irregular usage.
today is day 10 of quitting tramadol cold turkey.
I am not sure if i have withdrawal symptoms or just the flu.
its not a bad flu, corona was much harder, its just puffy nose and cough, had some lil bit of pain here and there but now its gettin better and better.
i guess the first 5days were pretty normal just on day 6 i got sick, thats why im unsure if i have just a normal flu because of an infection or because im withdrawal from tramadol.
idk.
i am more afraid when i read things in the internet like "having insomnia for 6 months or whatever"
and im more pissed of my mood right now then my flu.
ufffff.
Depends on the dose you were using and how frequently but I would imagine you are over the worst of it. The hardest part for me was the SNRI properties of withdrawal.

After using prescribed tramadol that I was on for 2 years at 350mg max dose a day it took me about 3 weeks to get back to some normality.

I’d say you likely have the flu/cold to be honest.

Depends on the dose you were using and how frequently but I would imagine you are over the worst of it. The hardest part for me was the SNRI properties of withdrawal.

After using prescribed tramadol that I was on for 2 years at 350mg max dose a day it took me about 3 weeks to get back to some normality.

I’d say you likely have the flu/cold to be honest.
How did u feel about the missing about snri properties?
Well Im unsure.
My insomnia is really bad right now.

How did u feel about the missing about snri properties?
Well Im unsure.
My insomnia is really bad right now.
Insomnia can be part of withdrawal for sure.

The SNRI withdrawal made me really depressed and I had brain zaps, lethargy etc with it.

Switching to fluoxetine can aid with avoiding the horrific SNRI withdrawal tramadol shares with venlafaxine. You know you have it if you get electric zaps in your brain. I was dependent on venlafaxine (prescribed, but nevertheless) for many years until I managed to quit it by transitioning through fluoxetine. I tried to taper, to taper more slowly, to turkey etc but always resorted back to taking it after a few days. As venlafaxine and tramadol are close chemical cousins you can get the same withdrawal from both just that tram is also a direct opioid on top (venla also has opioidergic activity but it isn't a my opioid receptor agonist like tram and its metabolite o-desmethyltramadol.

As long as it only feels like a flu you're lucky though. The absolute worst about opioid withdrawal is (for me personally) the restlessness. To be depressed is okay as long as I can stay in the bed but being depressed, anxious AND restless is sick.

I feel depressed I look like that ☹️
Dont have any brain zaps but lethargic af and got really sad sometimes

Last edited:
That sucks, and I'm sorry you're experiencing that. But be grateful you are not experiencing the restless limbs of opiate withdrawal. That is the worst part of heavy opiate withdrawal for me. No matter what, I can't feel comfortable, I HAVE to move my legs AND arms constantly or I feel like I want to die. Absolutely no ability to sleep, or to feel comfortable while trying to sleep. Feeling like I want to chop my legs and arms off just to get some rest. I have been to a place where I would punch myself in the legs as hard as possible, over and over, until my legs were numb, so I could get 60 seconds of not having to stretch my legs. Legs covered in bruises.

I'm not trying to minimize what you're going through... just hoping that knowing that the opiate part could be worse helps you feel better about your own situation in some way. <3

Yeah, the restlessness is the worst about opioid withdrawal for me as well. Depression and anxiety are OK if I can stay in bed but this constant akathisia together with the physical fatigue is so horrifying. Don't mean to say that your situation was easy by any means.

Sounds very serious, that restless legs part....
Dont habe it but im fucking tired.
Sadness quite diminished.
How can I go to gym with that weakness 🤷‍♂️
And I look so old and wasted WTF

In my case...over three years use.longest was severebinsomnia.around month.it's long withdrawl.bad ofcourse

Took me about 7 days each time to come off of 400mg a day for weeks at a time.
Can really depend on how long you use it & at what dosage.
After enough times in withdrawal, honestly, I started to not go all the way back to "normal" at all, even after the acute withdrawal phase was over.
This was when I realized I was fucked & that I was heavily dependent now on an opioid to get me out of bed every morning, possibly for the rest of my life.

Took me about 7 days each time to come off of 400mg a day for weeks at a time.
Can really depend on how long you use it & at what dosage.
After enough times in withdrawal, honestly, I started to not go all the way back to "normal" at all, even after the acute withdrawal phase was over.
This was when I realized I was fucked & that I was heavily dependent now on an opioid to get me out of bed every morning, possibly for the rest of my life.
That cant be.. even heavy heroin users revover so it cant be that someone is fucked up for the rest of his life just because of few months of taking tramadol.
That sounds not right at all !!!!

That cant be.. even heavy heroin users revover so it cant be that someone is fucked up for the rest of his life just because of few months of taking tramadol.
This is post-acute withdrawal / PAWS, and can last for months to years after a heavy habit. Dissociatives can help with it as do other dopaminergic drugs but they tend to be addictive by themselves so the only safe option I know of is memantine, which can be hard to get.

Yeah, maybe for months, but I'm talking years of using. It's called PAWS & it's a known phenomenon with many drugs.

There's a reason why "maintenance" exists & it's because after a certain point, you are completely dependent on that drug to even function. People can have PAWS for years & years after a heavy habit.

Plumbus is right that dissociative & hallucinogenic drugs can help with PAWS. It really comes down to a persons psychological state as well. If some one really enjoys using heroin or alcohol or whatever drug, they're going to end up going back to it eventually. I've used DXM many times to get through withdrawals & it helped, but I still crave heroin to this very day & even this very moment.

Most addicts who quit & "recover" are usually people who didn't have very long or heavy habits & probably didn't even really need the drugs in the first place.
A person with mental health issues however is going to want a drug to relieve their mental & physical agony no matter what, so it's harder for some to really wanna live "sober".

Last edited:
For me, pregabalin helps massively, far more than benzos or alcohol. I can be in pretty serious withdrawals and actually feel euphoric and great from pregabalin. It works by far the best of any drug I've encountered to help against withdrawals. However, and this is a big however, tolerance builds very rapidly, so it really only works for a couple of days, and you might feel actually "good" for only 2 days, after that it will just help with the symptoms. It's also quite addictive so you have to use it for as short a time as possible.

Gabapentin helps a lot too, but not nearly as much. You can alternate days, and if you want to make it sustainable for slightly longer, you can alternate pregablin, gabapentin, and loperamide (high dose loperamide), in a 3 day cycle.

It helps a lot.i was prescribed even two 75 mg daily&it helps a lot.use pregabs around 20days&then quitt.....but as the same time quittin a low dose benzo.....so had no impressions of quittin' tram only

Also red vein kratom at doses of 5/6.g perhaps twice aday depending on level of withdrawal may be helpful?

How long does it take for the sore limbs etc to go away and constant restlessness/lethargy?
I think I'm through the acute phase i.e. no rapid heart rate feeling like I'm gonna faint etc but I'm still sweating my arse off everynight - does that eventually pass btw? - and not sleeping properly as I'm sore. I'm on like day 6 but still taking upto 4 15mg cocodamol per day - could this be prolonging the agony am I as well just totally cutting it out now feels like my body is still trying to adjust to that dose as was used to 200mg tramadol everyday for about 5 ish months then I swapped to over 200mg per day dihydrocodeine for about two weeks prior to nothing ( well other than one 15mg cocodamol 4x day)
It was my shitty ex boyfriends bright idea to swap me to dihydrocodeine and then he left me after promising me another 100 to slowly taper. He also was giving me real yellows (5mg diazepam) so he fucked me right over after promising me he'd help - the bastard never even gave me a reason why he stopped talking to me, he has had some health issues but he's fine and spoke since he was feeling better he just fucking ghosts me out the blue (who does that to someone?) and I don't have any access to any benzos cause I don't touch street ones and don't have anyone else. The doctor won't help because I told them the truth that I had been trying to taper with dihydrocodeine which they didn't prescribe and only offer was more tramadol which was making me feel awful and felt I had worked hard to get off them (albeit I had just swapped them for a larger dihydrocodeine habit) I didn't want to touch another tramadol as had been giving me really bad headaches and that so I said I didn't want to go back on them as I naively thought I had come through the worst already. I feel hopeless and sore if someone can shed any light on how long this is gonna go on would be great and anything I can do to feel better please, thanks so much. Send halp 😭😂

Last edited: