• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How is it possible I feel great 24 hrs into withdrawing?!?

Kismet555

Greenlighter
So I had a 3 year habit of 90mg OxyContin and 40mg Oxycodone, plus more street oxycodone in the past few months. I jumped off 24 hours ago and have been taking loperamide and gabapentin with 1mg klonopin last night, plus vitamins, magnesium and B complex.

Today I feel Great! I?m positive, clear headed, a bit sleepy, happy, and want to clean my house, work out and call friends and family.

This is crazy. I never feel this way during withdrawal. I did switch from the OxyContin to all the street oxycodone before I jumped off, and I?m pretty sure the street stuff was cut with fentenyl, so I was actually doing a lot of fentenyl the last 2 Days before quitting. Does it leave your body that fast? Because I woke up with no withdrawal symptoms after sleeping 8 hours and felt great. I don?t understand this! But I?m not complaining.

Keep us posted. Please tell me exactly how much lope and gabapentin you are taking and when you started taking it. Thanks.

Hi, I started taking it Monday, about 6mg of loperamide and 300-600mg of gabapentin 3-4 hours apart. At night I added 1mg of klonopin and slept great and woke up with no withdrawals at all. I’m stunned, just amazed. But so grateful. I hope everyone has this experience.

Your WD hasn't started yet since it's only been 24 hrs and you are taking another opioid loperamide.

WD peak on the 3rd day as the trace amounts of opioid left from your last dose are still around at 24 hrs.

When I used to have a comparable habit the w/d would take about 24-36hrs to really begin. The first day was often quite nice actually. Sure, depressed and lethargic, but not nearly as uncomfortable as what was yet to come...

Too bad that isn't my experience anymore. Now it just sucks.

Well it’s been 4 Days now and I still feel great. I’ve been able to do all my normal activities and been going on walks for an hour. Going to try to go to the gym today. I hope everyone else feels this way.

With the comfort meds you're using, it makes sense it wouldn't be too bad. I take it you've never been dependent on gabapentin or benzos before? That combo (especially with a little loperamide for the shits), withdrawal can be very manageable.

It's why comfort meds are so important.

That said, generally folks don't get more than one "free pass" when it comes to detoxing, so take this for the bless it is and run with it. Fingers crossed you don't have to deal with this again.

Other than getting through the withdrawal, do you have any thoughts how you'll avoid the opioid pull further down the road?

In my experience those comforts meds help the process...but you still withdrawal whenever you cease them.

Fentanyl is one of the longer-acting drugs, so it may take longer. But like everyone has said, you just may get a pass on this one--it's happened to me, once or twice, long ago. The longer you do opiates, no matter what opiate it is, the worse it gets in terms of both tolerance and withdrawal. Sucks!

Regarding the comfort med comment, it depends on how they're used.

When used properly, there isn't any serious withdrawal from comfort meds. Unless someone has a prior history of struggling with dependency with one of those (or the same class) being used, that should be taken into account.

Just trying to say, I have used comfort meds for most of my adult detoxes and never had an issue with cessation considering by body and how I used them.

Fentanyl is one of the longer-acting drugs, so it may take longer. But like everyone has said, you just may get a pass on this one--it's happened to me, once or twice, long ago. The longer you do opiates, no matter what opiate it is, the worse it gets in terms of both tolerance and withdrawal. Sucks!

Fentanyl withdrawal tends to kick in fast, be quite intense, and then resolve mostly within a week, with some annoying symptoms lingering a bit longer before going away. It's kinda like hydromorphone withdrawal, but not as quick.

Maybe Wd draw isn't the right word but there are problems that become unmasked when ceasing the gabaergics. It's not as black and white I think as gabaergics and opioids don't overlap in the brain. I havnt reasearched that specific topic really but im guessing the brain is more complex than that and there are down stream effects of the gaba and opioids receptors that probably overlap or interplay . All guesses but I know what I experience....maybe WD was the wrong word but there is a Sort of PAWS I experience when I cease the Lyrica. No sleep etc.

Even Pill2chill with his huge opioid habit says he can sleep on lyrica only when he should be withdrawing his ass off from shooting throygh his script early.

...there is something that feels dopaminergenic about Lyrica too and I thought that I've read in this board that it does affect dopamine. There's your overlap with opioids if this is true.