• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How is amphetamine neurotoxic? What does it do to you?

I think the bigger problem is that you build up more receptors in certain brain areas, by taking drugs like stimulants or medications like neuroleptics. You have to remember that, if we are basing everything on structural changes diagnoses by MRT, there are not necesserly big changes in these areas, but people still suffer cognitive impairment. Your neurons only have a certain capability of producing neurotransmitters. By learning we also increase receptor connection between the neurons. But what if too many receptors in certain brain areas slow down your system? I know it sounds stupid, but sometimes the stupidiest ideas are the right ones ^^.

Probably it is best to find a hormon regulating the dopamin production and exchange... By increasing it, we could create a more efficient system even in elderys. There probably is some unknown hormon out there, we just have to find it.

Edit: MDMA reduces Parkinson-symptoms, so you should search in this area to find some answers.

Last edited:
I've heard many people talking about how amphetamines can be neurotoxic both short term and long term. But whenever I ask them, what excactly that means, I can't get an answer. I've been trying to find some information on the internet about it, but I can't figure out, what the neurotoxic effects specifically affect people. I think especially people education young people on drugs should think more about this, cause I think for many young people, "neurotoxic" pretty much has no meaning. I mean the notorious cone snail venoms are neurotoxic as well, but stepping on one of them (depending on species) can be deadly. That's quite far from what people experience on a simple line on street amphetamine, so it has got to confuse some people who think the way I do.

Can anyone give me some examples, so I can better understand it?
It’s related to dopamine metabolites like DOPAC (Dihydroxy Phenylacetic Acid ) and to a lesser extent HVA (Homovanillic Acid). Both of these metabolites can kill dopaminergic neurons because of oxidative damage.

Long term users of amphetamine have been found to have a statistically significant 4 point increase in intelligence quotient (IQ).

It’s related to dopamine metabolites like DOPAC (Dihydroxy Phenylacetic Acid ) and to a lesser extent HVA (Homovanillic Acid). Both of these metabolites can kill dopaminergic neurons because of oxidative damage.
O I think Swed learned something from 2014.