• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

How is alcohol addictive?

Biggest lie: "I'm never drinking again",
hmm i dont recall when i was boozing ever saying that even in the begining when i'd wake up completely disfunctional and hungover, but as it progressed, which i mean i don't advocate at all but i never saw an issue with it persay, because live and let live but i always had a drink first thing when i'd wake up or shortly after

Indeed I know someone who quit opiates and just ended up hooked on booze instead. Far worse habit to have for many reasons. Any downer will numb emotional pain... until the tolerance kicks in.
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep i've been thinking about everything i'm cutting down, blah blah needing a new script in 4-5 months or i'm probably going to drop dead from wd if i don't stick to what i've been doing but boozing i will concur while i'm LUCKY I didn't end up with any form of liver damage or physical consequences of drinking pretty much all day everyday for months, which i thank god for because honestly i don't think at the time rather in the moment i had even realized what i was doing to my body but then at the same time my habits have never been anything to boast about, one thing everyone should abide by is to regard substances/chemicals as second and safety as the biggest priority, be smart n safe folks! take care ~zonxx

Indeed I know someone who quit opiates and just ended up hooked on booze instead. Far worse habit to have for many reasons. Any downer will numb emotional pain... until the tolerance kicks in.

Isn't that strange that a highly restricted and coveted drug is relatively physically benign as long as you use caution--but one is almost as damaging as chronic meth use if not more in some cases? You can even buy it at some convenince stores. Wish I could buy delauded or methadone at my local riteaid without a script but don't we all ;) The American government makes no sense sometimes. The war on weed has really always bothered me and to this day my state is so anti-pot while it's one of the higher opiate epidemic regions. They even were in motion to legalize and regulate marijuana but there was so much push-back from prominent towns and citizens that it backfired completely. (New Jersey by the way)

I know some alcoholics quit drinking because of liver issues and such but then flock to benzos because the feeling is quite similar and produces the same anxiety-killing effects. However, a lot of alcoholics stick to their poison their entire life and never touch other substances. Some even frown upon drug addicts while denying their problems with alcoholism. I think that alcohol is such a prevalent problem just because it's what's easily avilable and it's one of the stronger substances on the planet. Some people need to occasionally get f'd up on substances to carry on about their lives and alcohol is always there for them without legal repercussions in general. It really does ease up social situations and counteract anxiety and sometimes depression, so in a way alcoholism does benefit a few people. By that point, withdrawal can be an issue in which we know is deadly to go through cold turkey and even deadly to withdraw from with professional medical aid. I've seen alcohol tear apart more lives and cause issues for people more than I've witnessed with any other substance. There's also a hereditary factor to the addiction. My family has a history of alcoholism while my mother despises it and at one point was a hardcore heroin addict. I defnitely inherited her addiction for opiates/opioids and while that's horrible I'd rather be in my shoes than have to be a functional alcoholic. I used to drink socially, but after discovering the wonderful/destructive world of opiates I stopped drinking entirely. I can't even remember the last time I've had a drink. No interest. I've seen this mentioned by a couple of painkiller patients... something about opiates makes the booze permanently lose its buzz even if you quit your opiate usage.

The promotion of beautiful women being associated with alcohol definitely does not help America's alcoholism issues, and the fact that it's so socially accepted as the fun thing to do at parties over marijuana/coke/etc. only makes it an easier addiction to rationalize. I can't imagine what it's like to be a recovering alcoholic and constantly see commercials about your demon. It would be like me in opiate withdrawal watching oxy commercials 24/7. It's cruel to do to people. During my undergraduate, booze was glorified at parties more than any other college I've witnessed. People got black out sloppy drunk on the regular. I know that's common at colleges but they took it to the next level, and a enough people geniunely died from alcohol poisoning to make me realize that this drug is absolutely no joke. I find it's effects make you more dysfunctional than any other substance although I am kind of a lightweight. I've never found it addictive but I might have if alcohol was the only substance I ever knew.

Last edited:
Isn't that strange that a highly restricted and coveted drug is relatively physically benign as long as you use caution--but one is almost as damaging as chronic meth use if not more in some cases? You can even buy it at some convenince stores. Wish I could buy delauded or methadone at my local riteaid without a script but don't we all ;) The American government makes no sense sometimes. The war on weed has really always bothered me and to this day my state is so anti-pot while it's one of the higher opiate epidemic regions. They even were in motion to legalize and regulate marijuana but there was so much push-back from prominent towns and citizens that it backfired completely. (New Jersey by the way)

I know some alcoholics quit drinking because of liver issues and such but then flock to benzos because the feeling is quite similar and produces the same anxiety-killing effects. However, a lot of alcoholics stick to their poison their entire life and never touch other substances. Some even frown upon drug addicts while denying their problems with alcoholism. I think that alcohol is such a prevalent problem just because it's what's easily avilable and it's one of the stronger substances on the planet. Some people need to occasionally get f'd up on substances to carry on about their lives and alcohol is always there for them without legal repercussions in general. It really does ease up social situations and counteract anxiety and sometimes depression, so in a way alcoholism does benefit a few people. By that point, withdrawal can be an issue in which we know is deadly to go through cold turkey and even deadly to withdraw from with professional medical aid. I've seen alcohol tear apart more lives and cause issues for people more than I've witnessed with any other substance. There's also a hereditary factor to the addiction. My family has a history of alcoholism while my mother despises it and at one point was a hardcore heroin addict. I defnitely inherited her addiction for opiates/opioids and while that's horrible I'd rather be in my shoes than have to be a functional alcoholic. I used to drink socially, but after discovering the wonderful/destructive world of opiates I stopped drinking entirely. I can't even remember the last time I've had a drink. No interest. I've seen this mentioned by a couple of painkiller patients... something about opiates makes the booze permanently lose its buzz even if you quit your opiate usage.

The promotion of beautiful women being associated with alcohol definitely does not help America's alcoholism issues, and the fact that it's so socially accepted as the fun thing to do at parties over marijuana/coke/etc. only makes it an easier addiction to rationalize. I can't imagine what it's like to be a recovering alcoholic and constantly see commercials about your demon. It would be like me in opiate withdrawal watching oxy commercials 24/7. It's cruel to do to people. During my undergraduate, booze was glorified at parties more than any other college I've witnessed. People got black out sloppy drunk on the regular. I know that's common at colleges but they took it to the next level, and a enough people geniunely died from alcohol poisoning to make me realize that this drug is absolutely no joke. I find it's effects make you more dysfunctional than any other substance although I am kind of a lightweight. I've never found it addictive but I might have if alcohol was the only substance I ever knew.

Agreed with everything you have said.

It is mad to me that you can buy booze at any supermarket or newsagent in the UK 24 hours a day 7 days a week but if you want a simple bottle of codeine cough syrup, the weakest opiate around, well it is OTC here, but most pharmacies now refuse to sell it because, due to a restriction by the regulator, wholesalers have been forced to ban pharmacies from ordering any if they buy it "too frequently". And yet I can pop into the Tesco next door and buy as many bottles of vodka as I want and no one will stop me.

I used to work in retail and I would see the same people come in to buy big bottles of vodka, whisky, brandy, rum, etc every single day. They were quite obviously alcoholics and they ranged from working class to middle class, people from all walks of life hitting the bottle. The most dangerous legal high of all.

And the hypocrisy from some of them is hilarious. One of them who bought vodka and cigarettes on every visit said don't use codeine it's bad for you... I'm like okay, do you want your vodka and cigs then?

I had people calling me a druggie at uni for using benzos, and those same people would then spend every night drinking so much they passed out and threw up everywhere.

It's fucking insane. If alcohol was invented today it would be made an illegal drug. The only reason it is legal is cultural history. Not science or logic or reason.

And for that matter the only reason opium is illegal is because it is linked to Asian cultures not Western cultures. Alcohol has long been "the European poison" but opium has similarly long been associated with Asians. The first laws banning opium in the US and Europe still allowed it to be used by Chinese and Indian immigrants, but banned use by white people because they considered it a foreign evil they didn't want to spread. Eventually they made opium illegal altogether.

But now the state lies about this. We conveniently ignore this historical fact and if you ask why opiates are so highly controlled while alcohol isn't you'll be told it's because opiates are more dangerous and addictive than alcohol. Personally I think it's the other way around and science backs that up. As you said yourself, when used in correct doses, pharma grade opiates cause little to no physical damage to the body. The dangers associated with them are mostly a direct result of the black market.

Same deal with cannabis. That's recent enough history that anyone can watch Reefer Madness and see the true motivation behind making it illegal was based on absurd lies and blatant racism. But the state will continue to tell you cannabis is illegal because it is dangerous and alcohol is legal because it is safe. It makes no logical sense, but since when was the state logical and truthful?

“One lied, mendaciously inventing reasons for these laws, simply to avoid admitting that one had become used to these laws and no longer wanted things to be different.”

Last edited:
hmm i dont recall when i was boozing ever saying that even in the begining when i'd wake up completely disfunctional and hungover, but as it progressed, which i mean i don't advocate at all but i never saw an issue with it persay, because live and let live but i always had a drink first thing when i'd wake up or shortly after

I used to say that shit after every binge week-end.
The worst part is, it's probably healthier to be an alcoholic than it is to be a binge drinker. Fuck, sure as hell feels better when you wake up withdrawing and just start sipping on pints again. Or Caesers.....those are perfect for the morning after and to get you going again.

Man, I'm so glad I quit smoking so I had a proper excuse not to drink as much anymore. (Fuck, that sounds stupid....a proper reason to not drink would probably be consideration for my health).

To be fair Wilson, if there were legalized opium dens I'm not coming back to see the light of day.

I think any substance out there could work for some while not for others. Some people are highly functional under the most ridiculous bullshit combinations of drugs and never overdose somehow lol. Who is to judge what addictions are worse than others to be honest? It's just important to know the science half of addiction and which ones permanently cause damage overtime and how. I find this website fascinating because you see a side of substances that doctors/pharmacists barely care about dealing with.. how substances affect our personal lives from first-hand experience. I can't imagine any alcoholic being glad they're an alcoholic though. It's probably just a coping mechanism. Same thing with heroin where nobody says "boy I'm glad I shot up dope a decade ago."

Last edited:
I used to say that shit after every binge week-end.
The worst part is, it's probably healthier to be an alcoholic than it is to be a binge drinker. Fuck, sure as hell feels better when you wake up withdrawing and just start sipping on pints again. Or Caesers.....those are perfect for the morning after and to get you going again.

Man, I'm so glad I quit smoking so I had a proper excuse not to drink as much anymore. (Fuck, that sounds stupid....a proper reason to not drink would probably be consideration for my health).
yesssssss i quit smoking aswell (2+ grams of hash/day for shit.... 8 years, somtimes smoked more) but yeah

i was more or less in catagory of alcoholic/binge drinker because i could easily devour a litre of liqor, toward the end i was almost up to two a day, but the day i finished a bottle of whiskey in one sitting, was the day i said what the fuck but thankgod i was drinking for pain amongst other reasons, because the day i lost my dog i did the same thing, no stimulants, finished a rum bottle too, my mother told me the next morning that she'd never seen me in such an intoxicated state before and we left it at that. i continued to drink pretty hard for almost 2 months till i went to my doc, and got my pain issues addressed, amen for him or id be banging dope, smoking it, devouring coke like no tomorrow i mean i still devour coke, but i'm cutting down on pain meds rn i have to make a thread thats important to me right now real quick so i have to end this post here

Stay safe
~Zonxx

To be fair Wilson, if there were legalized opium dens I'm not coming back to see the light of day.

I think any substane out there could work for some while not for others. Some people are highly functional under the most ridiculous bullshit combinations of drugs and never overdose somehow lol. Who is to judge what addictions are worse than others to be honest?
the never overdose somehow part. its all part of safety first. if i ever suspect my stimulants are pushing me overboard physically i bring my body down a knotch via depressing my Parasympathetic nervous system, i'm not going to say this is a great example to look up to. However, i'm able to manage as best as i can right now, i only consume so much nonsense to beat the pain really. i can't wait till my fucking meth gets here.

the never overdose somehow part. its all part of safety first. if i ever suspect my stimulants are pushing me overboard physically i bring my body down a knotch via depressing my Parasympathetic nervous system, i'm not going to say this is a great example to look up to. However, i'm able to manage as best as i can right now, i only consume so much nonsense to beat the pain really. i can't wait till my fucking meth gets here.

Isn't it extremely hard to overdose on stimulants? I've only known it to happen with people snorting massive amounts of coke. Probs with combining stims and pain relief substances is that stims can cancel the effects of opiates out, so sometimes people might take more because they feel less and obviously that gets scary.

I don't know how to gauge benzos with opies, that combination is drop dead scary for me because you can just black out and die. It's not like stims where you have time to stay awake and figure out what to do next.

If opiates were legalised and regulated they would be much safer. Most overdoses now are not caused by heroin or oxy but by fentanyl cuts. One needs only to look at the success of supervised injection rooms to see that even IV heroin need not be fatal. Now don't get me wrong I am not advocating that we sell smack and needles in every supermarket either, but milder opiates need not cause much harm - certainly much less harm than alcohol.

Codeine, DHC, and morphine have long been pretty freely available in the UK to the extent where if you know what to look for you can buy them OTC. Getting a script is not too difficult either in all honesty. And yet we don't have huge OD rates as a result. The reason the US had that problem is they allowed oxycodone to be treated as if it was paracetamol. It goes without saying these substances still need to be respected.

I also see no reason why pharma dexamphetamine should not be sold OTC, in all honesty I find it to be a cleaner functional stimulant than caffeine, indeed the latter is much more likely to give me panic attacks and other nasty side effects. I can't even drink a single can of Monster these days. But amphetamine is fine.

You can make the argument that these substances are dangerous if misused, and you'd be right... but the same is true of booze as we've established.

I think any substance out there could work for some while not for others. Some people are highly functional under the most ridiculous bullshit combinations of drugs and never overdose somehow lol. Who is to judge what addictions are worse than others to be honest? It's just important to know the science half of addiction and which ones permanently cause damage overtime and how. I find this website fascinating because you see a side of substances that doctors/pharmacists barely care about dealing with.. how substances affect our personal lives from first-hand experience. I can't imagine any alcoholic being glad they're an alcoholic though. It's probably just a coping mechanism. Same thing with heroin where nobody says "boy I'm glad I shot up dope a decade ago."

I agree, it is very dependent on the individual. I even managed to stay functional and keep my job while on a habit of 300mg+ oxy with various benzos thrown on top. Again not exactly a smart move, but it didn't affect my work and my ability to function in that instance. Whereas this bloke I worked with was a proper alcoholic and spent hours throwing up and passing out while locked in the bathroom.

Alcohol is a substance disguised as a food type ... it grows into part of the diet ... both alcohol and cigarettes are oral addictions (unlike meth or heroin).

Alcohol is a substance disguised as a food type ... it grows into part of the diet ... both alcohol and cigarettes are oral addictions (unlike meth or heroin).

I wouldn't call alcohol more of an oral addiction than any drug you put in your mouth, it's more of a classic addiction, but smoking certainly is an oral fixation.

I wouldn't call alcohol more of an oral addiction than any drug you put in your mouth, it's more of a classic addiction, but smoking certainly is an oral fixation.

Drink enough and experience the encephalopathy. It will reduce the ability to swallow and to swallow will take a great deal more effort.

I think it all depends on psychological and physiological makeup really, some people take opioids, don't even notice it and go what's the point in this? Whereas others like you (and myself) take them and feel amazing. I am a person who has severe anxiety and depression and has always had a hard time feeling at home in my own skin. For me opioids completely 'fix' these issues and I'm left feeling fantastic. That's how I used to explain the effects of opioids to people, imagine the greatest day you've ever had, you feel happy, energetic, social, no pain or anxiety just everything is perfect and comfortable.

But some people just go huh, I don't get it!

Sort of sounds like the risk involved with opiates is too much of a passive state of being? Still I am quite interested in getting into opiates (poppy tea in particular) myself particularly in regards to anxiety relieve, but intuitively I feel I would probably be best to perhaps to plan on in the end using perhaps idk 3 times a month and then taking extended breaks...Sorry I have absolutely no experience with opiates beside kratom if that is truly in the same class, looking for some serious guidance before I embark in this novel territory.

it's diabolical

I am afraid a reason such as that one is perhaps one exactly why some, if not all, (former) drinkers (aka idiots) like myself would chase drink after drink like hounds after a hare. The (should be) forbidden, deeply troubling but none the more so, strangely inviting realm of dependency is typified in that.

I am afraid a reason such as that one is perhaps one exactly why some, if not all, (former) drinkers (aka idiots) like myself would chase drink after drink like hounds after a hare. The (should be) forbidden, deeply troubling but none the more so, strangely inviting realm of dependency is typified in that.
quite

Although it must be said that no one quite enjoys the feeling of being there and having done so over and again ... but nonetheless it is easier to chose hell when one is all but holding it within the confines of the palms than at a time when the possibility of making a visit is kept far away ...