• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

How has the Liberal to Labor change affected the recreational drug scene?

Awhile ago the price of a case of beer went up a few dollars here. Cant remember the exact price, im assuming its the same for all of NSW?

Even if little johnny was back, the state governments would still be labor. We have also been fucked over here in SA, we had something very good for a while (the ability to grow 12 hydro plants and not be considered a criminal and only get a $150 fine) but thanks to the state labor government this limit got reduced to 9, then 6, then 3, then hydro got removed, now its only 1 outdoor plant.

I'd say the liberal party is about as liberal as ACA is a fair and unbias program. As in, not by a fucking long shot.

for drug issues its like comparing ACA to Today tonight.. Theyre both shit. but one smells a tiny bit better.

I Was In This MAD State...

No change that I have or will notice whatsoever.

If you disagree,
I hope yo' right.

PEACE
UnS
:|

The only change likely to happen with regard to alcohol tax is to increase tax for cask wine to bring it in line with other forms of alcohol. The public health sector has been campaigning hard for years for this to happen - 40 standard drinks in a 4L goon for about $15 :0

And Splatt I love your TT/ACA analogy :) but I'm not keen on your "some people don't deserve health care" line...

Its a harsh truth. Theres programs out there for chronic alcoholics.
Being a drinker myself, I don't deserve a a kidney or liver if I choose to fuck it up myself, when theres other people who deserve it more. I choose to drink.

It's like that satupid chick in america who got a liver transplant from too much tyenol and chronic alcohol abuse. but in that case it was most likely because the family had money

^No I completely disagree. It's up to individuals to look after themselves as best they can - but it's still the responsibility of the state to look after people who are sick, regardless of who's "fault" it is.

Luckily, this is the Labor platform view too (phew back on topic!) - "user pays" is a nasty pile of bollocks - especially when it comes to health & welfare. You may have been brainwashed by the previous gov'mint, my friend!

It's UnAustralian

ayjay said:
The public health sector
has been campaigning hard
for years for this to happen
- 40 standard drinks in a 4L goon for about $15 :0

I can usually get 4 o' 5L for about $10-12...

...who is this 'public health sector',
an' where are their 'Headquarters'?

PEACE
UnS
violent-smiley-045.gif

howard (mr drugs are evil)

Code:
purged the federal drug advisory panel of harm reduction advocates

opposed heroin prescription trials in Western Australia,

threatened to prosecute under federal law anyone using a safe injection site if any other states tried to open one

pressured states to roll back marijuana decriminalization laws

announced plans to ban bongs

so any of this undone yet?

^fuck this makes me angry. I think Howard was tryin to take our drug policy in the direction America took.

ayjay: Why should we donate organs and give more tax to people who refuse to want help? Im all for free healthcare, but some drongo that sdrinks all day and doesnt give to society at all shoduldnt be supported. They should be supported with help, but if they dont want help, they can go work to buy that new liver for all i care. Look at all the people who need organs on the waiting list that have just had back luck with genes and their health and werent drug or alcohol abusers. They never CHOSE to have bad health.. They should get organs before Bazza down at the pub who beats his wife and kids when he gets home

Splatt. You do realise that the line of inquiry you're going down eventually leads to the conclusion, that many conservatives and anti-drug right-wingers hold that people who suffer from say, a G overdose, be refused medical attention and left to die because "they brought it upon themselves".

I don't think doctors should have to make a distinction between who does and doesn't deserve medical care. Everyone deserves the best treatment and it's not for us to judge a person's lifestyle, lest someone judge us for ours one day.

Splatt, is your thinking already the current standard for organ transplants? I know that in America, if you have certain characteristics or 'risk factors', e.g. alcoholism, drug abuse, some diseases, etc, you can be denied an organ transplant.

I'm not sure if I'd go as far as you, but I would definitely move them behind the other people on the list who didn't fuck up their organs through abusing them.

Last edited:
Well, I've overdosed on G hundreds of times. If I was treated (as in they really thought I had a chance of dying, not just because I was breathing very slow and not responding, your diaphram is always kind of convulsing in G OD states, so you do get some oxygen in, although you know youve killed a lot of brain cells when you wake up out of it), then I should pay for that for putting strain on the hospital.

When I was admitted last year for downer and alcohol abuse after a big ND dose + speedy pills and the accidental 100mg 2c-b snort.. I felt bad I was there (even though I didnt take up an ambulance) because there could be people that had accidents in the waiting room, but they wouldnt let me go for 12 hours because they thought it was a suicide attempt. But yeah I think I should of been made the one to wait, they went way overkill on everything, ECG, capader(sp), saline drip etc... all i needed was a lot of water and a few hours to sleep it off.

This is part of the reason I now think drug+alcohol abuse, read: not use... (people that are taking large amounts of stuff KNOWING the consequences) shouldnt be treated as well as they are now. If they have a good paying job or something, they should pay it back, or get CentrePay to take out $ from their dole or pension over time. Not a full medical bill, just some compensation for the hospital and health system.

Just because they are called the liberal party does not mean they have liberal beliefs. They are far more conservative then the labor party.

Just to make things clear I believe in free health care and hosdpitals for sure, without any doubt. But I don't believe in people paying more taxes for other people, or alcoholic derros getting free organs when the nice lady down the street who hasnt done anything wrong in her life and looked after herself but at 40-50 is needing a transplant doesnt get it before the alco.

Im not exclujding myself either, I strictly believe if I drink myself to oblivion, thats my choice, but in 20-30 years I should be up shit creek without a paddle because I've chosen that lifestyle. People should be responsible for their actions.

Just FYI, I voted Labor because I hated John Howard.
I don't think Rudd's heaps better but I think he will be as soon as America becomes has a democratic leadership. Johnny was all about putting a bit of bubblegum over that busted drain pipe so it would hold for a bit longer, then fold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Splatt said:
Just to make things clear I believe in free health care and hosdpitals for sure, without any doubt. But I don't believe in people paying more taxes for other people, or alcoholic derros getting free organs when the nice lady down the street who hasnt done anything wrong in her life and looked after herself but at 40-50 is needing a transplant doesnt get it before the alco.

Im not exclujding myself either, I strictly believe if I drink myself to oblivion, thats my choice, but in 20-30 years I should be up shit creek without a paddle because I've chosen that lifestyle. People should be responsible for their actions.

For me, the "choice" argument is made complicated by the fact that I don't believe we have complete free wiil. Yes - we make choices, but those choices are impacted on by a host of internal and external factors over which we have little control. If I make healthy, socially acceptable choices all my life, that is partly due to my will, and partly due to these other factors. If I make unhealthy choices - likewise.

So the person who screws their liver through drinking is entitled to health care because it's not entirely their fault. I can't in all honesty say that I would not be that person, given the right circumstances (and I do want that liver if I need it!). I might prefer to give the liver to someone who's going to look after it and get another 20 years life, over the person who is going to die in 6 months anyway - but that is an entirely different equation. The nice lady and the derro in your scenario could fall into either side of that story.

And finally (finally!) - destructive patterns of behaviour don't just spring up overnight - they take years to get bedded down. Unlearning those behaviours takes time and support - and sometimes that support just isn't there. And we really are only just working out the best way to change people's behaviour - there's no "program" that is guaranteed to work...

... and back on topic very briefly - I don't have a lot of confidence in Nicola Roxon as health minister - I don't think she'll be championing any bold new harm reduction strategies - it'll just be business as usual :(

I agree with a lot of what you say, trust me. And I can see why you have this view peronally. But it still is a choice. Theres people out there who were molested by their parents, raped, kidnapped, have no family, and all of the above that still dont need to rely on alcohol and drug abuse to get through life.

Hey, I should be going to AA or something, or some drug counselling to get rid of the reason to drink and stuff.. basically i have a downer addiction, doesnt matter what downer it is.

But yeah this is my choice, because even if shit has happened to me I am still choosing to destroy my body, and thats my choice.

But to what extent could you choose otherwise? I'm still voting for a liver to be reserved for you, if or when you need it :)

I'd rather die if it was my time.. why live on in pain.. Gimmie 3 bags of H and a needle