• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How fast should I taper?

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
I have 20+ or so days before I'm left in a place without any substance nearby at all for two months--and I'm actually looking forward to that. But I can't afford to go there and kick badly for 2 weeks and introduce myself as a giant dbag because I'm deep in withdrawal. There's alot of important things I need to be 100% functional for and I can't afford to miss much sleep. Opoids are fun and games and all until the days you dont have them

Habit:40-60 mgs a day percocet/ox

I have a decent stash with someone to hold it for me and distribute if I don't cheat and buy more.

Arsenal: A ridiculous amount of adderall (stims during wd questionable), some gabapentin, sleep aids like ativan/tylenol pm.

I would like to taper off as opposed to the brutality of cold turkey, but I've never actually done it this way. When I return from this location I wish to never look back upon opoids ever again, but realistically I won't underestimate the potential of returning either however that's a diff story.

Last edited:
Specific substances? Sorry I forgot to list percocet/"blues". can't believe I didn't type that. Fast acting ops.

I would try a 3 day cycle taper. example..
10mg-10mg-10mg (after 3 days now drop it down a little bit. say 7.5mg, follow that for 3 days. Rinse and repeat. so for you something like this

60-60-60-50-50-50-45-45-45-40-40-40-30-30-30-25-25-25-20-20-20 etc Don't have tp be 5mg or 10mg. drop at your discretion

So ....lemme review. 20 days from today you enter the Place. You have a Daily (?) Habit of 40-60 mg Percocet right?
Are you taking that dose all at once normally? Daily?

Hmmmm yeah we need to see your typical.dosing schedule..

However... regardless , doper420 has a decent suggestion of breaking whatever your Max daily dose is, into thirds, so your body will be getting a fairly constant supply of SOME oxy round the clock. If you use his example or something similar then yes you may feel a few withdrawals but I think it'll ALL go a Hell of a lot easier on you than if you were to use right up until you enter the Place and go thru a horrible detox in front of everybody.

You like doper's suggestion? Do you think you could manage a schedule like this just for say 14-15 days then jump? Without cheating?

I would avoid the use of stims or any alcohol in excess during this process. Try to use Only your oxy.... when aches n pains kick in or yours having alot of trouble sleeping then use some ibuprofen (*not extra Tylenol as you're getting plenty in the percs right? ) or a Judicious dose of the gabapebtin you've got on hand. Use IT only when you REALLY need some relief and don't go over about 900mg at a time (once a day at most ) when ya do. This Is all just my idea --- your habit isn't all that nasty so I think if you're Determined you'll be able to DO this in time for your trip to the Place.
Avoid psychedelics too
Yuck

Thanks for the responses. I actually have tapered down already to 20-30 mg and feel okay--not perfect, but not like the grim reaper. I don't have the luxury of doing a taper like doper420s because of monetary issues atm, but I like the 3 day taper idea. If i get can down to 10 mg daily I can really do it.

I find that I can go longer if I WD while sleeping. Like take a dose 3-5 hours before bed with some GPentin or a benzo (nothing crazy since your on opioids too) and when you wake up you'll be sick but will have gone farther than if you tried to tough it out awake. Of course this is futile when you get way down and can't sleep, but works great to get started at least. I can comfortably cut 15-25% per day by doing this and exercising as much as possible during the day, esp swimming so I don't have any injuries while I'm WD'ing.

U better jump off the train now if all u got is 2 weeks left...
I just got off 150-200mg roxy cold turkey and the first week was bad..im going on week 2 as of today and feeling better but having major sleep issues...

Get off now bro,in 2 weeks youll feel great..plus 60mg percocet aint that much but its still enough to have you sick for a week or 2

Now see, I would have assumed that most of the posters would tell you to take the Gabapentin to help with withdrawals. It is supposed to do a great job of helping people in withdrawal get through it with much less discomfort. Plus you have Ativan that you can take in the evenings when you get down to very low dosages of the oxy.

if you could finish the taper in a week then you could use your Gabapentin during the day and some gabapentin with Ativan at night to sleep and by the time you leave to go wherever it is that you are going you will be clean for one week And should be fine.

Just my opinion. That's what I'll do if or when I'm faced with the same problem.

Good job on already being down to 20-30 mgs a day. Jumping in a week should be doable and you'll be able to take care of business with very few problems.

CP54 has a point, while I see the Ativan as your top comfort med the Gabapentin is a very close second. The problem with GP is that tolerance builds at an extremely fast rate. If you can maintain at night with the Ativan when things start to get rough, the GP would do nicely later in the WD. Just know that in 5-7 days the GP won't work very well anymore so try to time it's use as best you can.

How did you not want to jump off a bridge westbank?

Anxiety is the worst symptom always. Ativan helps.. and my dose isn't that high that I receive too many physical symptoms imo. I think this is totally doable even if I'm kicking a little bit at the start of this program thing.

I find that I can go longer if I WD while sleeping. Like take a dose 3-5 hours before bed with some GPentin or a benzo (nothing crazy since your on opioids too) and when you wake up you'll be sick but will have gone farther than if you tried to tough it out awake. Of course this is futile when you get way down and can't sleep, but works great to get started at least. I can comfortably cut 15-25% per day by doing this and exercising as much as possible during the day, esp swimming so I don't have any injuries while I'm WD'ing.
Good points and also exercise not only helps you quit easier if also makes you happy and if you are using you will get a lot higher if you have been out for the day exercising probably at least 50% higher than if you stay in home mopeing around exercise is not optional if you want to be happy and healthy drugs or no drugs.

Can you get your hands on Suboxone/Subutex? If so, I?d buy two 8mg strips/pills, and start the next day. I?d take 4 mg the first day, 24 hrs after your last use, and titrate UP. You don?t want to use the subs for any longer than 3-4 days max, just long enough for your body to rid itself of the oxycodone. Your highest dose of Sub should be the LAST dose you take. 4-6 mg the first day, 4-6 mg the second day, and 8 mg the last day. Then that?s it, don?t take Subs for longer than 3 days. Period. Now day 1 might suck, but Gabapentin, Lyrica, benzodiazepines, and weed will all help immensely during those 3 days of Suboxone use.

This method was taught to me by the medical director of the largest Detox facilitiy in Philadelphia, a city known for its cheap, strong heroin. He experimented with different protocols since 2004, and found this method to work best. I?ve also been conducting my own detox experiments for over a decade now, as I?ve been an IV heroin user, on and off, since 2007. This method I find to work best. Good luck.

Can you get your hands on Suboxone/Subutex? If so, I?d buy two 8mg strips/pills, and start the next day. I?d take 4 mg the first day, 24 hrs after your last use, and titrate UP. You don?t want to use the subs for any longer than 3-4 days max, just long enough for your body to rid itself of the oxycodone. Your highest dose of Sub should be the LAST dose you take. 4-6 mg the first day, 4-6 mg the second day, and 8 mg the last day. Then that?s it, don?t take Subs for longer than 3 days. Period. Now day 1 might suck, but Gabapentin, Lyrica, benzodiazepines, and weed will all help immensely during those 3 days of Suboxone use.

This method was taught to me by the medical director of the largest Detox facilitiy in Philadelphia, a city known for its cheap, strong heroin. He experimented with different protocols since 2004, and found this method to work best. I?ve also been conducting my own detox experiments for over a decade now, as I?ve been an IV heroin user, on and off, since 2007. This method I find to work best. Good luck.

How would such a quick detox be effective with subs? Wouldn't i be coming off opiates one way or another