• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How exactly do drugs like antihistamine potentiate opiates?

Bomb319

Bluelighter
That is, do they increase the overall subjective sensation of them due to the additive effect of combining CNS depressants? OR do they actually somehow function to increase uptake/availability or slow metabolism of the drug themselves? I suppose both could also occur if for example, a relatively high dose of the antihistamine depress the CNS alongside the opioid while at the same time competing for the same enzymes.

I have taken diphenhydramine (Benadryl, or dimenhyrinate) for years with my opiates, and currently with my methadone maintenance. It's very hard to tell whether or not this is very effective when I first take my dose. However, what is very interesting is that if I take Benadry much later - even 12 hours after my methadone, just before the Benadryl kicks in, I feel a wave of increased activity of the methadone. It's not just subjective drowsiness that I feel - it's the feel-good, borderline mini-rush that you can ONLY feel at all when you take strong opioids. Basically, for a short time it feels the same as if I had just taken the methadone and it was starting to kick in. After that, it becomes quite hard to tell once again, as drowsiness DOES kick in and both drugs are "mixed" in their effects. So to me, this seems as though Benadryl somehow DOES actually increase activity of opioids (or at least methadone) but I still can't be sure.

Incidentally, have you noticed how there are essentially two different "types" of high from opiate use? Obviously there are a lot more if you take dosage, scaling and mixing into account, but I'm talking about general, systemic effects which share enough characteristics to make these broad groups. A good example of this is codeine. High dose or low, tolerance or none, you can only feel good up to a point; it has much more of a lingering, "background" and passive feeling to it that can be very hard to describe! The best way I can put it is that it FEELS opiate-like...you know you've taken an opiate and it's in your blood. It feels pretty good, but it's a feeling that any hardcore or long-term user is very-well accustomed to. Basically, it's a nice buzz that can persist for quite a long time, like poppy pod tea does but not as strong.

Then there's that REALLY good opiate feeling you get after a heroin rush, when you've taken a good sized dose of a strong opiate such as oxy, dilaudid, or even methadone on an empty stomach...I am NOT talking about the actual rush itself, which is the result of rapid uptake/metabolism binding to the mu receptors. AFTER the rush, but usually before the feeling once again slowly fades over time to imperceptible levels, there are "waves" of pleasure that come and go all day. Like any other subjective feeling, it's very hard to describe..but it's something different and something MORE than anything possible to achieve with any amount of codeine or tramadol. That wavelike nature is a great component of its definition. It's also possible to "look" for it during its active period - if you think about it directly or otherwise start "examining" your feelings of alertness and general physical feelings, you can often feel this effect. But even if you aren't actively looking for it, it once again washes over you like a wave that is hard to describe...who knows what I mean, here? lol Also, just WHAT is it that makes it so much better subjectively than codeine, which you still can certainly feel, but usually in a profoundly different way?

TL;DR all of it...

But you are essentially asking about two things that already have words: potentiate & synergize.

Potentiation: when a medication changes the function of the way your body absords the drug you are taking thereby increaseing the actual amount of the drug in your system without taking more of the actual drug itself. Example would be WGFJ, Cimetidine, ketaconazole, some antibiotics, etc...

Synergize: This is when you take a drug that has similar characteristics as another drug you are taking and they both compliment each other, but not because one increases the other, but because they just work together. Example would be: opiates w/ benzos or antihistamines or benzos w/ GABAergics or heroin w/ cocaine.

I am sure there are drugs that happen to do both as well. But I would have to leave the more scientific explanation to some of our more enlightened chemist members.