• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

How Every Part of American Life Became a Police Matter

Bluelight Crew
From the workplace to our private lives, American society is starting to resemble a police state.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics...y-police-state-criminalization-militarization

If all you've got is a hammer, then everything starts to look like a nail. And if police and prosecutors are your only tool, sooner or later everything and everyone will be treated as criminal. This is increasingly the American way of life, a path that involves "solving" social problems (and even some non-problems) by throwing cops at them, with generally disastrous results. Wall-to-wall criminal law encroaches ever more on everyday life as police power is applied in ways that would have been unthinkable just a generation ago.

By now, the militarization of the police has advanced to the point where "the War on Crime" and "the War on Drugs" are no longer metaphors but bland understatements. There is the proliferation of heavily armed SWAT teams, even in small towns; the use of shock-and-awe tactics to bust small-time bookies; the no-knock raids to recover trace amounts of drugs that often result in the killing of family dogs, if not family members; and in communities where drug treatment programs once were key, the waging of a drug version of counterinsurgency war. (All of this is ably reported on journalist Radley Balko's blog and in his book, The Rise of the Warrior Cop.) But American over-policing involves far more than the widely reported up-armoring of your local precinct. It's also the way police power has entered the DNA of social policy, turning just about every sphere of American life into a police matter.

The School-to-Prison Pipeline

It starts in our schools, where discipline is increasingly outsourced to police personnel. What not long ago would have been seen as normal childhood misbehavior—doodling on a desk, farting in class, a kindergartener's tantrum—can leave a kid in handcuffs, removed from school, or even booked at the local precinct. Such "criminals" can be as young as seven-year-old Wilson Reyes, a New Yorker who was handcuffed and interrogated under suspicion of stealing five dollars from a classmate. (Turned out he didn't do it.)

Though it's a national phenomenon, Mississippi currently leads the way in turning school behavior into a police issue. The Hospitality State has imposed felony charges on schoolchildren for "crimes" like throwing peanuts on a bus. Wearing the wrong color belt to school got one child handcuffed to a railing for several hours. All of this goes under the rubric of "zero-tolerance" discipline, which turns out to be just another form of violence legally imported into schools.

Despite a long-term drop in youth crime, the carceral style of education remains in style. Metal detectors—a horrible way for any child to start the day—are installed in ever more schools, even those with sterling disciplinary records, despite the demonstrable fact that such scanners provide no guarantee against shootings and stabbings.

Every school shooting, whether in Sandy Hook, Connecticut, or Littleton, Colorado, only leads to more police in schools and more arms as well. It's the one thing the National Rifle Association and Democratic senators can agree on. There are plenty of successful ways to run an orderly school without criminalizing the classroom, but politicians and much of the media don't seem to want to know about them. The "school-to-prison pipeline," a jargon term coined by activists, is entering the vernacular.

Go to Jail, Do Not Pass Go

Even as simple a matter as getting yourself from point A to point B can quickly become a law enforcement matter as travel and public space are ever more aggressively policed. Waiting for a bus? Such loitering just got three Rochester youths arrested. Driving without a seat belt can easily escalate into an arrest, even if the driver is a state judge. (Notably, all four of these men were black.) If the police think you might be carrying drugs, warrantless body cavity searches at the nearest hospital may be in the offing—you will be sent the bill later.

Air travel entails increasingly intimate pat-downs and arbitrary rules that many experts see as nothing more than "security theater." As for staying at home, it carries its own risks as Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates found out when a Cambridge police officer mistook him for a burglar and hauled him away—a case that is hardly unique.

The story continues: http://www.motherjones.com/politics...y-police-state-criminalization-militarization

Good read, and I'm interested in reading the author's book advertised at the end of the article: The Passion of [Chelsea] Manning: The Story behind the Wikileaks Whistleblower.

Definitely a good article. I think a lot of people put blind faith in the police as theyre taught that police are always good, upstanding pillara of the community with your best interests at heart and that is rarely if ever the case.

Great read. Its only a matter of time til swat teams have barret 50cals and just blow ppl away at distance. I mean they already have full auto and burst weapons and have no problems making it rain down casings, so why not outfit them with bigger guns furthering their "rambo" wannabe persona. Fuck the police!! Lol

I mean they already have full auto

I've never seen US cops with full auto. Where do they have that?

In Mexico the beat cops used to carry full auto Tec-9s. Me and a friend were boxing near the presidential palace and we almost got mowed down by some obvious rookie who looked really eager to test his weapon on a live target. Though because it was a Tec-9, it probably would've jammed.

Definitely a good article. I think a lot of people put blind faith in the police as theyre taught that police are always good, upstanding pillara of the community with your best interests at heart and that is rarely if ever the case.

It changed so fast. I was always taught the police were your friends. I would never teach a child that today. You teach them not to talk to police, the police are there to fuck your life up, not to help you. It's too bad that even suburban families are teaching their kids that snitching is bad. We are now in a ghetto mentality everywhere.

^My friends wouldn't take my weed and arrest me, so it didn't take me long to realize where police stood in my eyes.

By now, the militarization of the police has advanced to the point where "the War on Crime" and "the War on Drugs" are no longer metaphors but bland understatements.

This is very true, and is a natural consequence of unprecedented defense and military spending. Seeing as the US spends more on defense than the rest of the world combined, this might be a real live and extremely rare example of successful trickle-down economics.

This is very true, and is a natural consequence of unprecedented defense and military spending. Seeing as the US spends more on defense than the rest of the world combined, this might be a real live and extremely rare example of successful trickle-down economics.

I think these "wars" are primarily a result of politicians capitalizing on mass hysteria. Also, they're an obscene consequence of 1st amendment rights (police unions' right to assemble and lobbyists' right to petition government).

Even if military & defense spending were cut by 90% tomorrow, the law enforcement sector would remain fully viable.

^Yeah but their budgets would be depleted. No more APCs for local law enforcement. The nonsensical wars on various causes have been going on for decades, that was the result of things like mass hysteria and the capitalization that followed. The heavily armed paramilitary units we refer to as police are a result of this and a badly inflated defense budget.

they outta control they outta minds
the pulllin you over they hoppin inside
just know you got drugs and you have guns
and ya know they mad when they cant find none! stupid!
FUCK THE POLICE

Good article! The question is what can we do as citizens to stop this?

nothing cause they'll lock you up... if the police wont or can't, don't worry, that's what the military is for.

Fire back. That's what you do. Stand up! Videotape always, and never trust a cop!

Great article.
I agree wholeheartedly that the US has become a police state, even while brainwashed Americans mention "freedom" in every second sentence.

As a linguist, though, I couldn't agree with this:
By now, the militarization of the police has advanced to the point where "the War on Crime" and "the War on Drugs" are no longer metaphors but bland understatements.
Since crime and drugs are not living people, or countries, but are very abstract (crime) or inanimate (drugs) and can't fight back, it is hard not to see the use of "war" as a metaphor. Still, I get the author's point that the "war" has been stepped up.

It changed so fast. I was always taught the police were your friends. I would never teach a child that today. You teach them not to talk to police, the police are there to fuck your life up, not to help you. It's too bad that even suburban families are teaching their kids that snitching is bad. We are now in a ghetto mentality everywhere.

I was thinking along those exact lines. When I read that statement about the 5 year old child (Kindergarten) who was handcuffed and interrogated by police due to suspicion of stealing $5 from a classmate I was absolutely appalled. I mean I dont even have the vocabulary to express what I was feeling. If someone put my 5 year old, my God, my baby, (because anyone who has a 5 year old knows, 5 year olds arent far off from being toddlers) into handcuffs and treated them that way...they would be taking me to jail. And he didnt even do it! Can you imagine how that must have traumatized that child...and then you expect me as a mom to teach my kids to respect and trust the police?? No way. Not in this day and age and that is a shame..Do you think that the child is going to grow up and have any type of positive feelings towards the police after going through that experience? Knowing the whole time, in his mind as he was standing there being handcuffed and interrogated, that he had done nothing wrong. And knowing in his little heart that he had done nothing wrong and yet this was happening to him? A 5 year old baby?? OMG...

I know that isnt the main point of the article but that was one part right off the bat that I just cannot get over. And I know that it is not an isolated incident. I just dont understand...I really dont..

Do you think that the child is going to grow up and have any type of positive feelings towards the police after going through that experience?

Nope, of course not. But then that is not what the police and state want. They want fear. They really don't give a shit if we like them or not. They just want us under control. Through fear.

Of course, the flip side of that is to conquer our fear. That we fight back by any means necessary.

I hope that 5 year old grows up into another Malcolm X.

Good article! The question is what can we do as citizens to stop this?

Depends on how prepared you are to be unemployed for a decade.

Anybody can do a couple years of probation, but good luck getting job offers when employers see "Aggravated Battery on a Law Enforcement Officer" on a background check. And good luck getting a judge to let you expunge that record!