• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How does LSD affect someone who does other drugs (meth, cocaine, heroin, alcohol)

BenzosBudOrBooty

Bluelighter
Dylann Roof was proven to been a heroin, meth, cocaine, alcohol addict, but he also got arrested for possessing LSD.

I and others like to think that LSD makes you into a more humane, people and world loving person.

But when other drugs are involved, how is this notion effected?

I'm a little tipsy right now...

I wonder if the fact he was arrested for so many drugs added to his animosity and hate????

I've never been a racist but LSD and shrooms has made me more humane and understanding of other cultures and such on...

But in Roof's case, this obviously didn't happen. Not trying to justify his case in any way, but I wonder if he was angry he got arrested a couple times for drugs and had a mental breakdown as a result??? It still doesn't justify it regardless. And I'm also interested if LSD does indeed still bring the positive factors when you have negative influences like heroin, coke, meth, etc...

??? I hope this post makes sense

I doubt psychedelics inherently change anything about people. There are plenty of dumb, stupid or mean psych users.

I don't know specifically about this Dylan guy though.

I and others like to think that LSD makes you into a more humane, people and world loving person.

I don't mean any disrespect here, and obviously I don't know you personally, but as a broad generalization: I have observed that this line of thinking is very, very common among new, inexperienced psychedelic users, but virtually every longtime user I've met has long since disabused themselves of this notion. LSD does not turn shitty people into good people. Honestly, I think the degree to which psychedelic use permanently changes users' personalities or patterns of behavior in any sense is grossly overestimated by even most longtime users. It seems probable, or at least intuitively reasonable to me that LSD use tends to appeal to more thoughtful, introspective, intellectually curious and open-minded people, so a random LSD user might be more likely to be a "good" or peaceful person than, say, the average cocaine user, but that's correlation, not causation.

Many indigenous cultures have used, or are believed to have used, psychedelic drugs. Western druggies are most familiar with the trope of the peaceful, wise shaman from an idealized vision of Native American tribes. Fewer people think of Aztec human sacrifice rituals (it's unclear what drugs, if any, were commonplace among the Aztec spiritual caste, since so little is known about Aztec culture to begin with, but there is some evidence that they may have used mushrooms and/or ayahuasca-like brews), or the theory that the infamously brutal and violent Viking berserkers ate Amanita Muscaria mushrooms to enter a "divine trance" before battle, or the introduction of cannabis to the West during the Crusades in the form of Muslim assassins - the word assassin comes from 'hashishum' which literally means 'hashish user.' Some drugs produce effects that are inherently prone to encouraging violent or anti-social behavior and others do not (stimulants, for example, boost adrenaline levels and make it much easier for 'fight or flight' reflexes to be triggered even in relatively innocuous situations, while opiates tend to make users sedated and less responsive to external stimuli of any sort), but no drug yet discovered by humankind inevitably makes people 'better' or 'worse' - that sort of judgment is radically dependent on cultural context and on the individual psychology of a given drug user.

In my opinion, light use of LSD or any drug that you listed will not make anyone do something they wouldn't have done on their.

However, prolonged abuse of something like LSD definitely changes people in a negative way. I've experienced this with a close friend of mine, he completely changed as a person and has acknowledged that LSD abuse had a very negative impact on his state of mind. He has done things(outbursts of aggression, attempting to rob a house for no apparent reason, edginess) that would be considered very out of his character based on who he used to be. Whether Roof did what he did because he abused drugs or because he was damaged goods to begin with, we will never know.

It's sad, because with proper cognitive therapy and a world that actually cares there would be much less mass shootings of this kind.

Drugs are not black and white. LSD has surely caused it's fair share of damage to people in its history, just like heroin or cocaine. Whether LSD is a positive thing, well that just depends on the person taking it.

In my opinion, other than for the duration of the experience and afterglow, taking LSD will have almost no long-term impact in people's lives whatsoever. They may see things they could change, but most people lack the initiative to actually do anything with it these days. Or those people who consistently exhibit reward-seeking behavior could be in danger for exposing themselves to such an extreme state of bliss. Who wants to live in sobriety when there are so much higher states of being out there. Obviously LSD cannot be effectively used everyday, but just longing for the mindset can range from distracting to a very serious problem.

Now heroin, cocaine, and methamphetamine are probably far worse than LSD in every way I mentioned, but the point I'm trying to make is that no drug is inherently good. That is decided by the person using it and those around them.

I think LSD can instigate a change in consciousness, which can lead to , for lack of a better phrase 'becoming a better person'. However there's also plenty of people who have came out the other side perma-tripping or worse. LSD, IMHO, should be saved for spiritual settings and not recreation.

I don't mean any disrespect here, and obviously I don't know you personally, but as a broad generalization: I have observed that this line of thinking is very, very common among new, inexperienced psychedelic users, but virtually every longtime user I've met has long since disabused themselves of this notion. LSD does not turn shitty people into good people. Honestly, I think the degree to which psychedelic use permanently changes users' personalities or patterns of behavior in any sense is grossly overestimated by even most longtime users. It seems probable, or at least intuitively reasonable to me that LSD use tends to appeal to more thoughtful, introspective, intellectually curious and open-minded people, so a random LSD user might be more likely to be a "good" or peaceful person than, say, the average cocaine user, but that's correlation, not causation.

Many indigenous cultures have used, or are believed to have used, psychedelic drugs. Western druggies are most familiar with the trope of the peaceful, wise shaman from an idealized vision of Native American tribes. Fewer people think of Aztec human sacrifice rituals (it's unclear what drugs, if any, were commonplace among the Aztec spiritual caste, since so little is known about Aztec culture to begin with, but there is some evidence that they may have used mushrooms and/or ayahuasca-like brews), or the theory that the infamously brutal and violent Viking berserkers ate Amanita Muscaria mushrooms to enter a "divine trance" before battle, or the introduction of cannabis to the West during the Crusades in the form of Muslim assassins - the word assassin comes from 'hashishum' which literally means 'hashish user.' Some drugs produce effects that are inherently prone to encouraging violent or anti-social behavior and others do not (stimulants, for example, boost adrenaline levels and make it much easier for 'fight or flight' reflexes to be triggered even in relatively innocuous situations, while opiates tend to make users sedated and less responsive to external stimuli of any sort), but no drug yet discovered by humankind inevitably makes people 'better' or 'worse' - that sort of judgment is radically dependent on cultural context and on the individual psychology of a given drug user.

Very interesting post, thank you. I must say that from my limited experience I too was under the impression that LSD somehow made you a good person, so it's nice to hear from someone with more experience.

What was involved at the time of the incident was suboxone.

LSD is irrelevant in this situation.

To qualify my earlier post a bit: I think LSD can help a person who is making a conscious effort to improve themselves, although I still think its tendency to do so in practice is overestimated by many (which isn't to say that people who try tend to fail to make improvements, just that I'm not sure they are successful at a significantly higher rate than people making the same attempted improvements without using psychedelics). But it takes a person who already approaches the experience with an open mind and a desire to better oneself. I prefer metaphors describing psychedelics as a powerful tool, rather than a benevolent teacher. The benevolence and the desire to learn from the experience have to be already present in the user; the drugs don't bring that to the table.

I guess I would say LSD is probably a lot better at helping good people manifest and realize that goodness than it is at fundamentally changing people who lack any desire to do good in the first place. Humble and caring people may encounter LSD and come away with it with a new respect and understanding for their interdependence on others. Egomaniacal sociopaths may have the same encounter and walk away all the more entrenched in their pre-existing delusions.