• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How does fent affect the brain differently?

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
Very curious as to how fentanyl affects the brain differently that organic opiates. Can anyone explain what makes it so dangerous? Seems like one of those feelings you have to have a death wish to seek out but is also too good to be true,.

What makes fentanyl and fentanyl analogs so dangerous is their potency. A dose is measured in micrograms and even as little as 1mg (or less depending on the analog) could kill you if you dont have a big opioid tolerance.
I don't know which fent analog is the most popular at the moment, but they're a few cheap ones like carfentanyl which are extremely potent. Fent analogs are very easy to synthesize (unlike morphinians) so they're easily accessible, plus they're really easy to smuggle too since you need so little to feel the effects (compared to other opioids).

So yeah many people overdose because they think they're doing heroin and some dealers don't know how to cut it properly so you get "hot spots" of fent (meaning it isn't properly mixed with the cut, which is a very difficult thing to do).

Otherwise fent and its analogs are generally very very selective towards the opioid receptors and specially towards the mu-opioid receptor subtype (agonism of this receptor can cause respiratory depression=death). So they're way stronger and potentially more dangerous than most popular opioids.

However if dosed properly they're not more dangerous than any other opioid, plus they also have fewer side effects since they're so selective (less histamine release for example).
Don't have any personal experience but from what I know it seems like fent is less enjoyable than traditional opioids, clearly mu agonism isn't everything regarding recreational effects.

Last edited:
I'm not sure...

I think it's the best feeling on Earth. But I will not use heroin so that may be altering my perception on the subject in comparison to the general public and the heronites that dose daily. Not that fentanyl is any morally less sketchy or responsible lolol.

I know that narcan at times must be delivered a whopping two or three times in a row to match the potency of fentanyl. Is it possible to make a narcan specifically stronger to avoid having to redose it for laced heroin overdoses?

Maybe it's because of them "targeting specific receptors--but they seem to becoming out with more euphoric fentanyl that's long lasting and much more recreational. Needless to say the withdrawal is too potent.