Mental Health how do you know when your going insane?

Re_Animate

Bluelighter
I often wonder that to myself, because the person going insane would have no idea that their reality is deluded.

ive been observing people latley, thinking about the way they think, understanding their frame of mind. just generally over-thinking the world.

It seems that everyone i notice who is charismatic and interesting i find are insane to a degree. It just seems insane for people to be so let loose, the way they talk etc. Im rather introverted and have been trying to break out of the frame of mind where i over think things, ive ended up questioning whether the fact that i look at the world from an over-introspective point of view is my way of going insane haha.

i honestly dont think anyone is normal...what the hell is normal suppose to be ? were all a littlee crazy just some more then others.. hah

I think your definition of insane is a little loose. I suppose I consider insanity behaviour which doesn't follow society norms, or actions which appear illogical (I guess once again as deemed by society?).

I consider insanity behaviour which doesn't follow society norms, or actions which appear illogical (I guess once again as deemed by society?).

yeah same, so how would you know if you were going insane.

i know for a fact that my family have a tendency of developing schizophrenia. But to me, it seems more like, insanity starts with a bad mindset that spirals out of control which develops into something further. does that mean everyone can go insane?

I could be wrong, but it seems that, by these definitions, any person that decides to have a "lifestyle", or "way of life", outside of the prerequisite conditions created by modern society, is insane?

In all honesty.. You won't. You'll believe it in your head that this is normality while you slip into total mental chaos

i think insane is someone who literally is a hazard to him/herself and the rest of society
i.e someone who will beat the sh1t out of someone just for looking at them

Anyone who thinks they are completely sane is either in denial or ignorant. I think if you suddenly believed cracks in the walls contained camera's watching you that it's safe to say you've lost the plot.

well i at one point started getting paranoid about open windows at night. i started believing that there was someone with a sniper watching me (this was when i was younger and doing home school - no social contact for a year).

when i re-joined the public school system and started making friends again my 'strange' paranoia disappeaered.

im sure that if i stayed in home school i would have gone insane. Im fine now though but it makes me wonder about delusions and paranoia. how does that develop into hallucinations etc

If it seems to you like many other people are acting crazy or have gone crazy it is more likely that you've gone crazy than that everyone else is having a problem. Some environments started out more mentally healthy than others though. Also once in a while there is a collective craziness.

Self neglect, feeling compelled to make drastic decisions all the time, hallucinations, delusions, not sleeping, can all be big signs that someone is crazy.

The ability to realize you're crazy while in the state of being crazy tends to be transient. Many people realize it in "lucid intervals". Relatively mentally healthy people have crazy periods and mentally ill people have moments of clarity.

R.D. Laing and others have proposed that insanity can be a relatively sane reaction to a insane world. Its probably not a useful mental heath. treatment model most of the time but I do think challenging cultural models of mental health and psychopathology is a useful activity, just not necessarily useful in the midst of a mental health crisis.

I think insanity is something along the lines of a well-embedded logical distortion that informs your actions and feelings.
Since emotions and actions stem from thoughts it's our preexisting assumptions about the world that are to blame for insane actions.
Also the act of repeating and rehearsing the actions and feelings that result from our illogical thoughts can reinforce our belief in the illogical, thus making our insanity harder to turn around.

I believe insanity is different from mentally disabled because I think anyone can be insane with respect to certain events or things.
Some of the wisest and simplest things I've ever heard were from my developmentally disabled cousin, she is perfectly sane and relates to everyone as such.
I have probably had more insane periods of my life than her even though I was an advanced student all throughout my life.

I'm bipolar and during bad episodes I never had a clue that the crazy weird shit I was doing/thinking was anything out of the norm.
In fact, what I was feeling was completely normal (to me) and I was SURE everyone else was nuts.

Edit: I think everyone's a little nuts though. Just in different ways.