• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin how do you know the physical withdrawals are over?

DustnRoses

Bluelighter
Does it usually happen when you wake up? Or can it happen in the middle of the day? My WD's seem to peak at night...like, I'll be able to function, for the most part, throughout the day, but then when it gets to be 7 or 8 PM, I feel them more. Is there something you notice that makes you realize youre out of withdrawals? Or is it just a gradual thing?

I am on day 2 after going on a 4 day H binge. I know it's a very short duration, but I'm not stranger to opiate withdrawal, been down this road plenty of times, and i KNOW I'm experiencing some degree of withdrawal. I'm going cold turkey, trying to get through it as fast as possible so I can be normal around my family.

Its basically as simple as your not gonna feel like shit anymore.. Mine were always worse at night,not being able to sleep made evereything worse. Its gradual you'll keep feeling slightly better and better untill you feel physically fine. Sadly the mental part doesnt really go away that fast

From my experience from withdrawing from gbl (which my heroin addicted friend said was quite similar to heroin withdrawal) lasted for around a week. First three days were the worst, as you mentioned they peaked at night (can't stay still in any position, hot, cold flushes - the works etc.)

If you used H for 4 days straight, you should start feeling alot better, physically within a week, probably on the 4th or 5th day. Hang it there buddy, I know the feeling all too well, it sucks. There are also alot of threads on this site which can give you some great advice for dealing with your symptoms. For just one example, without mentioning prescription drugs, you could take some Motrin and a multivitamin each day. They surprisingly help. Do some searching on opiate withdrawal and you'll be surprised at all the great info. Good luck, it will be over before you know it. The harder part is to stay off for good, if that's what you're intention is. It's all free will.

You'll be able to survive a regular day and not feel like you're knocking on deaths door.

And you'll be able to sleep on your own without medication.

thanks for the input everyone, I keep trying to tell myself that only a 4 day binge can't produce WD's of any level, but my intelligence and experience are telling me otherwise. I honestly wish I knew less about drugs, and opiate/opiate withdrawals in general, then I maybe I'd just think I had a cold or something.

The other night, about 24 hours ago, I took the tooter I'd used and filled ith with 2-3 drops of water, shook it up, and snorted the yield. Luckily, the night before that, I did the same thing, and about 95% of the residue from the 3.5 grams that had been smoked through it came out, so the second time, there was hardly anything. I say luckily because had there been more, and had I actually gotten high, I would've taken a step in the wrong direction.

You'll get threw it DstnRoses, just hang in there man. It always took me 4 days and by the 5th day I felt alot better. You might not even have to wait that long though.

It's 6 pm, my second day in, and I'm honestly feeling better...I don't know if it's just my bed or something but right now, I feel fine...All day today I felt cold, couldn't really stomach food, couldn't stand being touched or even touching my own skin, but over the past hour or so I've started feeling normal...is this possible? Am I just psyching myself out...

My last real dose was probably about 44 hours ago or so...r

I think it's pretty safe to say only you will know when your withdrawal is over.

I don't see how there is any question even...if you stop feeling withdrawal symptoms, it's over.

It must have been the environment I was in or something because I definitely don't think I'm in the clear yet. I thought I was feeling alright but later realized I'm not quite there yet.

usually when im in the heat of withdrawal my pupils are huge. they get big before i get sick too, almost like a warning when i see them like that.

To the OP, I swear by exercise. Nights were usually the worst for me, however waking up and not getting my fix was equally aggravating. You just don't want to wake up. However, when you do, and you manage to eat or drink something, your blood sugar goes up. Even if you do not eat, your blood sugar rises and falls in cycles of about 2-3 hours. Cereal will get your get your blood sugar up the quickest. Exercise will do that even faster. I know when I was w/d'ing the absolute last thing I'd want to do is exercise. But the halo effect of exerting yourself to the max will last 2-3 hours and the symptoms should diminish significantly, or all but disappear if your tolerance isn't that high and you've been using for 4 days. Just do pushups until you fail, until you can't do anymore, then do 1 more, then 1 more, then rest 10-15 seconds and do it again. When you think you can't do a single one more, pretend you're wolverine and scream until you get another one out. Then another. Within a minute you should notice the chills stop and the yawning stops. For me, my hearing gets muffled like I would get from opiates. But you really have to go all out, and keep doing it even when your brain says no more.

The reason at night you feel the worst, is because your blood sugar is 0 and your body is not replenishing it with food or exercise. Your body thinks it's time to go to sleep and starves your blood of sugar to help you sleep (you know that afternoon lethargy?). Ever feel super sleepy and get up to pee or brush your teeth, then you can't fall asleep? That's your body releasing blood sugar because it thinks you plan on staying awake. Now, if you can't get out of bed, just wishing someone would put you out of your misery, then exercise is one of the most difficult tasks you can do. But if you believe me that the reward of doing 30 pushups is equivalent to 30mg of hydrocodone, would you force yourself despite everything you feel?

I discovered this when I had to hide my symptoms and go shovel snow. After I was done, I was feeling better and it lasted for over an hour. I had a gram a day iv oxy habit, 3 oc80s 4x a day. No joke. I know where I'm coming from when it comes to w/d's. I even precipitated withdrawals once with that habit. Don't ever want to think about that.

Back to exercise. It has a great anti-anxiety effect as well. What I can suggest to you is to take some Immodium to keep your GI in check, L-Tyrosine to help speed up your dopamine production, and eat (drink if you cant) sugary stuff. Like I mentioned earlier, cereal will get your blood sugar high quickly (but it will fall quickly too)... if you want to sustain yourself for longer, eat fruits or drink juices. Do that on day 3, 4 and 5. Your transition will be seamless and you will associate your recovery and feeling better with exercise. Then when the physical w/d's are gone, you will already be ahead of the game tackling the psychological symptoms. Sitting around (and not exercising) will only make your thoughts wander to opiates and trigger cravings. Good thing is you might even get hooked on exercise, because you will associate it with dopamine. But that's the good stuff. It will help you down the road.

To the OP, I swear by exercise. Nights were usually the worst for me, however waking up and not getting my fix was equally aggravating. You just don't want to wake up. However, when you do, and you manage to eat or drink something, your blood sugar goes up. Even if you do not eat, your blood sugar rises and falls in cycles of about 2-3 hours. Cereal will get your get your blood sugar up the quickest. Exercise will do that even faster. I know when I was w/d'ing the absolute last thing I'd want to do is exercise. But the halo effect of exerting yourself to the max will last 2-3 hours and the symptoms should diminish significantly, or all but disappear if your tolerance isn't that high and you've been using for 4 days. Just do pushups until you fail, until you can't do anymore, then do 1 more, then 1 more, then rest 10-15 seconds and do it again. When you think you can't do a single one more, pretend you're wolverine and scream until you get another one out. Then another. Within a minute you should notice the chills stop and the yawning stops. For me, my hearing gets muffled like I would get from opiates. But you really have to go all out, and keep doing it even when your brain says no more.

The reason at night you feel the worst, is because your blood sugar is 0 and your body is not replenishing it with food or exercise. Your body thinks it's time to go to sleep and starves your blood of sugar to help you sleep (you know that afternoon lethargy?). Ever feel super sleepy and get up to pee or brush your teeth, then you can't fall asleep? That's your body releasing blood sugar because it thinks you plan on staying awake. Now, if you can't get out of bed, just wishing someone would put you out of your misery, then exercise is one of the most difficult tasks you can do. But if you believe me that the reward of doing 30 pushups is equivalent to 30mg of hydrocodone, would you force yourself despite everything you feel?

I discovered this when I had to hide my symptoms and go shovel snow. After I was done, I was feeling better and it lasted for over an hour. I had a gram a day iv oxy habit, 3 oc80s 4x a day. No joke. I know where I'm coming from when it comes to w/d's. I even precipitated withdrawals once with that habit. Don't ever want to think about that.

Back to exercise. It has a great anti-anxiety effect as well. What I can suggest to you is to take some Immodium to keep your GI in check, L-Tyrosine to help speed up your dopamine production, and eat (drink if you cant) sugary stuff. Like I mentioned earlier, cereal will get your blood sugar high quickly (but it will fall quickly too)... if you want to sustain yourself for longer, eat fruits or drink juices. Do that on day 3, 4 and 5. Your transition will be seamless and you will associate your recovery and feeling better with exercise. Then when the physical w/d's are gone, you will already be ahead of the game tackling the psychological symptoms. Sitting around (and not exercising) will only make your thoughts wander to opiates and trigger cravings. Good thing is you might even get hooked on exercise, because you will associate it with dopamine. But that's the good stuff. It will help you down the road.

some of this is without a doubt the dumbest, bullshit-filled nonsense i have seen in a long time. You are making a lot claims without any medical references my friend; and accordingly many of your claims about physiology are wrong. 8)

usually when im in the heat of withdrawal my pupils are huge. they get big before i get sick too, almost like a warning when i see them like that.

yeah that's a good sign for me as well. RLS is a giveaway as well, when i start breakdancing laying down in bed or sitting and can't get comfortable at all.

i haven't withdrawn fully from opiates for a couple years now but as soon as you stop feeling shit is when it's all over. once you can sleep properly, don't have all those aches and pains, irritability goes away, skin stops crawling etc, etc.

I think it's pretty safe to say only you will know when your withdrawal is over.

I don't see how there is any question even...if you stop feeling withdrawal symptoms, it's over.

i understand the question actually quite well, because there is a mental thing that goes along with the physical part of withdrawal, this is a little hard for me to express what i want to say, but i sometimes well alot of times see people who would have themselves thinking they are dying (my big old strong ex husband for one) but in actuality have themselves phsyched that there sick.

to the op i dont know if they have a link in here on it but there is something called a cow's table you basically score yourself on how bad the withdrawal is, they use this method in rehab and alot of suboxone doctors also,

this is by no means saying you arent have withdrawal but i believe the mind tricks us very much,

example on how the mind can sometimes control the physical

my nine yr old son has hep b (he is good btw) but at eighteen mths they put him on interferon (this drug notoriously makes people very ill) . well my girlfriend who was thirty five was on the exact same dose as my child, and she complained, whined, cried everything you can think of, but my son after the first two times he took it there was never any sign he was on it. this showed me how well our minds will control our physical also called placebo affect.

but anywhooooo (sorry i tend to get side tracked when posting) you will most surely feel better within a day or so, just dont sit around waiting for the withdrawal to stop, just try to go on with your life best you can and one moment you'll realize hmmm i feel ok:)
goodluck ashla

I'm sure your question has been answered, i'm just here to say that I wish you the best of luck and avoid temptation. It'll be over soon, and you don't want to start the vicious, vicous, VICIOUS.. cycle again.

Best of luck, man.

Thanks for all the input, it all really has helped. Exercise definitely does help some...I'm not sure if it's quite as much as you swear it does, but if it works for you, by all means, go nuts.
I'm actually on a cruise right now with my family, for the next 4 days...I told them I wanted to go before I knew I'd be going on this binge...today wasn't a very good day, but I'm hoping that tomorrow will be a lot better, seeing as to how it will be 4 days since my last dose...we'll see. Thanks again for all the info. to all that posted.