How do you deal with ADD?

Psychedelics and ADD...

I wouldn't personally over-indulge in them, but with responsible usage, I don't think they hurt.

It's a case by case basis though. If you're the kind of person who is already pretty introverted to begin with, having lots of ketamine or mushroom trips really won't help you become a social person at all. However that's not to say it would necessarily hurt your ability to be a social person when you're not under the acute effects, it definitely could if you're the kind of person to let eccentric thinking take hold of your mind and not allow social situations to take place if you're preoccupied with such thoughts.

Some people are also prone to allowing psychedelic experiences warp the way they think about people and the way they see them. I guess the best advice I can give you is to not let bad trips ruin your sober reality, and to not over-analyze any one part of any one psychedelic experience too heavily.

Sometimes people aren't ready to have a totally ego-shattering experience, in which case, it can make ADD/some of its symptoms much worse.

v------ This ------v

Psychedelics and ADD...
I wouldn't personally over-indulge in them, but with responsible usage, I don't think they hurt.
It's a case by case basis though.....
Some people allow psychedelic experiences warp the way they think about people and the way they see them. The best advice I can give you is to not let bad trips ruin your sober reality, and to not over-analyze any one part of any one psychedelic experience too heavily.

Sometimes people aren't ready to have a totally ego-shattering experience, in which case, it can make ADD/some of its symptoms much worse.

^----- normally, this I believe is the case.
Yet I've sat in on trips where the individuals I knew had attention-deficit problems; but by experiencing a complete break (terrifying though it sometimes is), they were able to recognize that it was an overactive ego which was causing them problems with focus. It was precisely their ability to hyper-analyze after the trip, that allowed them to keep enough separation afterwards to achieve a little balance.

Still, I saw it cut both ways during trips. This is why one should always seek out a capable psychonaut or shaman before taking powerful hallucinogenics.
It takes a lot of guidance & questions to cement the truths learned while on a full-blown psychedelic excursion, and a steady mind to calm ones overly unsettled by the experience.

Psychedelics?

It probably depends highly on other factors about a person's background. I have ADD, and if anything, I have been able to handle a trip better than several others with no significant disorders. As for the long-term effects, I think tripping has maybe improved my self-regulation abilities a bit. Then again, the possibility of having some issues, especially when tripping a lot, still probably is a bit higher.

Some think that psychedelics are difficult for the people who have a very firm wiew of the world and need to be in control of themselves all the time - when they just can't, they freak out.

The effects of rolling make ADD much worse too BTW. Idk how much you like to roll, but I would limit it to 2x a year if you want to improve it. Maybe even once :\

I've only rolled 9 times, first time being 18 months ago, last being a bit more recently. Due to legal reasons, however, I'll more than likely be taking a 6 months to 1 year break because even though MDMA doesn't really stay in your system long enough to matter, I don't wish to take any chances as I'd like the whole ordeal I went through to be done and out of the way as soon as I can help it.

I did have a week or so of MXE usage when I ordered that but I don't really want to deal with testing issues because to me, a false positive will be more bullshit I have to go through- and to have to go through all of that will make me even more depressed and anxious.

I believe I now have PTSD due to the trauma of the arrest and resulting downward turn in my life. I feel pretty depressed most of the time though I have been able to trip fine. I've only had one bad trip in all of my psychedelic usage and it was DMT. Other than that, none at all.

I'd say that I wasn't introverted to begin with but a lot of heavy environmental factors caused me to come across as so. I've discussed it with a friend and he believes that like him, I suffered from being around a lot of people who weren't good for me, not only friends but parental figures among others.

I just find it so hard to get motivated as I have everything I could want really but it doesn't make me happy, it seems to make me the opposite. I won't go into detail but I can say that it makes it hard to try in school knowing that I'll be set either way. I'd love to have motivation but I sit in class or at home just putting work off because then I have to struggle so much and I've struggled so much in life as it is in every way besides monetarily.

I did order "Delivered from Distraction:Getting the most out of life with Attention Deficit Disorder" and it has been an interesting read. I just worry I won't make anything of myself and instead of looking past that and trying in class, I just think about a poor grade and I get into these awful thought loops and don't know what to do. It feels like I can't do anything but think negatively.

I find it strange that I've only had one bad trip, not that its a bad thing but psychedelics don't seem to allow me to have bad trips. The DMT was the only exception but it made sense later as to why it happened. It was the first and only time I've blasted off and it was after a long day and night of smoking constantly and my mind was weary.

not too long ago I finished up a longish, regular low-dose/sub-threshold course of 2c-i, and it positively affected my daily focus & mood.

while it wasn't something I could or would want to do normally as it did have some icky side-effects, it certainly raised interesting questions...... ones far beyond my ability to answer. 8)

what sort of side effects? If you don't mind me asking, I was just a bit curious as I was thinking low dose, daily lsd might have a positive effect for me. I saw a picture on erowid and it explained that 1 hit of lsd had been dissolved in the distilled water and it was consumed over a period of 8 days at the start of each day to boost cognitive function.

I believe I now have PTSD due to the trauma of the arrest and resulting downward turn in my life. I feel pretty depressed most of the time though I have been able to trip fine. I've only had one bad trip in all of my psychedelic usage and it was DMT. Other than that, none at all.

When (approximately) did the arrest happen, and when did symptoms begin?

Psychedelics probably won't help improve the symptoms of adhd objectively. The underlying cause of adhd is likely a genetic one.

There are regions of the brain which are theorized to be underdeveloped in people with adhd, such as the prefrontal cortex and the anterior cingulate. I don't know how taking psychedelic drugs will modify those structures in the brain to support better functioning of affected areas of cognition. I think the effects of psychedlics are predominantly psychological, so it's unlikely they would have real, lasting benefits, while it's plausible that excessive use could instead cause lasting psychological damage.

When (approximately) did the arrest happen, and when did symptoms begin?

The arrest happened July 20th. I've noticed symptoms since getting out and getting yelled at a lot by the person I'm staying with as well as getting immediately kicked out and sitting in jail. I would say I've noticed them more in the last few weeks than before as I wasn't really familiar with the disorder before that. I mean, I certainly don't have the worst PTSD but I feel as though I've noticed changes in my mental state.

I guess I've mostly noticed when I'm trying to do stuff for school and I can't focus because I'm thinking of how miserable I feel from time to time. I'm hesitant about my mental disorders as hardly anyone believes me besides some of my trustworthy friends.

Even though my mother as well as grandfather died from suicide, my probation officer (when I was on juvenile probation) had the guts to look me in the eye and tell me depression wasn't real. Stuff like that disheartens me more.

Marinade chicken 12hrs in a clear, covered bowl, in a sunny spot, but don't let it get too warm.

I don't really have much to add to the thread because ADHD is one of those things that is WAY over-diagnosed in the psychological community (especially when people try to diagnose themselves), but if you follow this guy's recipe and leave your raw chicken in the sun for twelve hours before eating it, you'll probably die...or at least wish you were dead.

The arrest happened July 20th. I've noticed symptoms since getting out and getting yelled at a lot by the person I'm staying with as well as getting immediately kicked out and sitting in jail. I would say I've noticed them more in the last few weeks than before as I wasn't really familiar with the disorder before that. I mean, I certainly don't have the worst PTSD but I feel as though I've noticed changes in my mental state.

I guess I've mostly noticed when I'm trying to do stuff for school and I can't focus because I'm thinking of how miserable I feel from time to time. I'm hesitant about my mental disorders as hardly anyone believes me besides some of my trustworthy friends.

Even though my mother as well as grandfather died from suicide, my probation officer (when I was on juvenile probation) had the guts to look me in the eye and tell me depression wasn't real. Stuff like that disheartens me more.

I am sorry to hear about this.

I don't want to pry too much into your personal life - so let me know if you don't want to share for any reason - who are you staying with? Are you saying this person kicked you out of your living quarters right before you went to jail? I am kind of confused about this, if you want to clarify you can. If not I understand too.

No matter what any one officer says, depression is real. I'm sure the officer in question had never experienced anything like depression in their life so far... and how would you know depression exists if you haven't experienced it yourself? One might be inclined to believe people are just attention seeking or sensitive unless you've been through it yourself, because then you know for sure it is real.

I am sorry to hear that you lost two family members to suicide - I am sure this has been traumatic to you to some degree as well. I can really understand what you mean when you say how miserable you feel sometimes, and I hope that you feel better over time.

You can always PM me if you want to talk about it.

what sort of side effects? If you don't mind me asking, I was just a bit curious as I was thinking low dose, daily lsd might have a positive effect for me.

Honestly, it was the stomach discomfort that bothered me the most. It wasn't unbearable, but more of an annoyance like bad gas or indigestion.
However, I have a touchy gut, and a person without that kind of problem may not notice it.
The biggest problem is getting the dose right; without a microgram scale & a few other things (test-kits, etc), doing sub-threshold psychedelics for therapy isn't advisable. With things like LSD, 2C-I, and other psychedelics potent in the single milligram or microgram range, a few hundred mcg or 1-2mg too much/little will make a huge difference.

Psychedelics probably won't help improve the symptoms of adhd objectively. The underlying cause of adhd is likely a genetic one.

There are regions of the brain which are theorized to be underdeveloped in people with adhd, such as the prefrontal cortex and the anterior cingulate. I don't know how taking psychedelic drugs will modify those structures in the brain to support better functioning of affected areas of cognition. I think the effects of psychedlics are predominantly psychological, so it's unlikely they would have real, lasting benefits, while it's plausible that excessive use could instead cause lasting psychological damage.

You're forgetting that psychological changes wrought by any drug, are still just a symptom of temporary physical changes started by transient chemical processes in the brain. As of right now, there is no way to permanently "modify" a malfunctioning section of brain.... failing a chemical or physical lobotomy. 8)

Changes caused by drugs are rarely permanent (except that pesky side-effect death or the thorazine-shuffle), and once withdrawn the brain will try returning to it's baseline state as soon as possible. Except some drugs are a lot more persistent in the body than others, and the brain heals/regulates at a different rate for everyone.

Classic psychedelics IMHO are either too short-acting, or too powerful/generalized in the targeted use for something like ADD, but they still function amongst the same neurotransmitter systems.
Modern pharmacological science still doesn't know exactly why a lot of chems will have a particular effect; or why a closely related compound which binds to the same receptors, will elicit a completely different reaction.... all they can be sure about is what they do, and the research usually stops there.

As for things like LSD, psilocybin, mescaline, and ecstasy; I understand why they're not normally a good idea for use with ADD.
Like many common psych meds, taking LSD (for example) for ADD would be like using a sledgehammer to drive a framing-nail..... but new, highly targeted, synthetic/substituted phenylthylamines & tryptamines are constantly being developed, so long-term improved focus, an "afterglow", few systemic side-effects, and little-to-no psychedelia during treatment of ADD (or whatever) is a real possibility.

~~~~~~

But to reiterate.... the regular doses of 2C-I which I ingested was either at or below my particular trip threshold; in that the only psychedelia I experienced was an increased vibrancy of color, and a distinct enhancement of existing geometric patterns..... the closest I can describe it as, is that something hit my visual cortex's Sharpen Edges/Increase Contrast button.

The more overriding reality was the fact that I felt level, calm, and focused for between 2-3 days after I dosed..... and that consistently measured & scheduled doses was enough to maintain the same positive effects on non-dose days.
Abrupt cessation didn't result in a crashing depression or crazy withdrawal; my motivation took a ding, my vision went back to blah, and a few weeks later I was back to my old haphazard self.

If you're curious as to more detail of the actual regimen I came up with, I unfortunately can't share (board rules)..... and to be honest; doing something like what I did is hazardous on a lot of levels.... and I just don't trust people.

The psychedelics I test & experiment with are extremely powerful..... but I've been at it for a long time; so am I intimate with my thresholds, and the limits of my knowledge/abilities.

Tinkering with the brain to stop something like ADD is an iffy business, especially as there are apparently so many varieties of ADD. What's encouraging is that for a minority, the dysfunction can be alleviated with far less systemic & psychological harm using select psychedelics, than what would be caused by doping the same minority to the gills with a daily diet of stims or tranquilizers.
The way I see it, a competent psychologist/psychiatrist can easily handle being a trip-sitter, supervising patients in a controlled setting..... much the same as they do for many normal psych meds. And for the first time in a lot of years, the bolder ones are starting to experiment with psychedelics in psychotherapy with the same encouraging results that so impressed Tim Leary & friends (they just took it a bit too far. 8))

I don't really have much to add to the thread because ADHD is one of those things that is WAY over-diagnosed in the psychological community (especially when people try to diagnose themselves), but if you follow this guy's recipe and leave your raw chicken in the sun for twelve hours before eating it, you'll probably die...or at least wish you were dead.

Thanks for your opinion..... but you're completely wrong.

Now go read the rest of the directions, and maybe bone up on some basic microbial biology and the science of cooking while you're at it.

You skipped a few pretty important details in that recipe...... try again, and then maybe come share with the rest of the class what you've learned later.

Last edited:
Do you think there is a possibility of non-psychoactive analogues that could reduce ADD symptoms?

Like for example, an LSD analogue that causes no hallucinations or "high" or experience but rather stimulates thought processes like LSD can?

I've just noticed during LSD experiences that I don't feel more intelligent, rather I feel like I can develop thoughts and ideas much more clearly and quickly. I feel that if I trained myself under the influence of the chemical, I would be able to use it to perform such things as homework, only that the visuals and some of the aspects of experience would render me unable to drive or function as there was a time last fall where I dosed 8 times in 3 months and at the end of this, I was very spacey, had very erratic thoughts, was unable to function socially and thought that things like class were below my grandiose ideas.

LSD is my favorite psychedelic but when taken too often (and imo, too often depends on the individual as well as other factors like during that time period, just like, now, I am still developing mentally) my mind doesn't fare too well. There are other factors too of course but I'm just explaining my experience with the drug last fall.

Thanks for your opinion..... but you're completely wrong.

Now go read the rest of the directions, and maybe bone up on some basic microbial biology and the science of cooking while you're at it.

You skipped a few pretty important details in that recipe...... try again, and then maybe come share with the rest of the class what you've learned later.

LOL, you're right. Every culinary course I've ever taken has encouraged us to keep our raw chicken at room temperature for half a day before cooking. Vinegar isn't some super antibacterial agent, it won't kill even half of the bacteria that cultivates after twelve hours in the sun. This is a "Harm Reduction" board, buddy.

Do you think there is a possibility of non-psychoactive analogues that could reduce ADD symptoms?

Like for example, an LSD analogue that causes no hallucinations or "high" or experience but rather stimulates thought processes like LSD can?

LogDev-

There's been small scale trials of non-psychedelic ergot derivatives, ones very structurally similar to LSD. Unfortunately the worldwide banning of LSD/phenylthylamines/etc, their precursors, and their analogues forces very limited and clandestine efforts towards research in that direction.

Progress is being made though.... thanks to the internet. =D

LOL, you're right. Every culinary course I've ever taken has encouraged us to keep our raw chicken at room temperature for half a day before cooking. Vinegar isn't some super antibacterial agent, it won't kill even half of the bacteria that cultivates after twelve hours in the sun. This is a "Harm Reduction" board, buddy.

Really?

wow....

..... so cooking raw meat & sauces thoroughly doesn't kill bacteria???
..... so the sanitary packaging, storage, and preparation of fresh meat/produce doesn't mean squat, and the FDA is wasting their time & our tax-dollars?
..... so billions of people without refrigeration who use vinegar, salt, oil, honey (a powerful & natural microbial growth-inhibitor & preservative, FYI), along with a plethora of spices to prepare & preserve meat, are only being doomed to an eternal misery of diarrhea for the sake of flavor?

well.... I guess Mr. L. Pasteur was full of shit then. 8)

Oh, and you might want to break it to grandma gently that it's dangerous to tenderize meat by hand, set pies freshly baked on the window-sill to cool, or to leave fresh dough out to rise. Poultry & seafood aren't the only things crawling with microscopic life.

But hey...... tough meat, burnt pies, and rubbery bread is far preferable to salmonella, listeria, e. coli, and toxic spores, right?
I think most of us don't mind taking our chances; accurate knowledge of a little practical science, culinary tradition, and common sanitary habits means our food is plenty safe, healthy, & delicious.

I don't really have much to add to the thread because ADHD is one of those things that is WAY over-diagnosed in the psychological community (especially when people try to diagnose themselves)......

And that statement holds water, how?
I'm sure your credentials & references are impeccable; still, good luck in the credibility-department anyways.

But more importantly, you chose a pretty shitty way to preface the true intent of your initial post.....
I heard The Lounge called, as they seem to be missing a troll.....
And I'm not your buddy..... pal. :p

Next time contribute something factual & constructive to this discussion, or at least try to accurately parse what others have written..... especially before trying to discredit their problems, treatments, and ideas.

Discovering & cooking new, fresh, natural, and healthy foods is an excellent way to help deal with ADD.... and while the study of psychiatry & psychology is, as human-nature demands, necessarily imperfect; it helps far more than it hinders, and medical science has a wonderful way of weeding out incorrect/dangerous practices & theories.
Besides, when a lot of people are getting sick or dying (for real!), it's a pretty good indication that something is going on..... and the last time I checked, there doesn't seem to be many people getting sick from cooking day-old marinated meat.
Hell.... to take your reasoning further; a meat-lover-veggie-supreme pizza will become a 14" bacterial biohazard-site after 24hrs of sitting on the coffee table. Yet for some reason, teenagers and college students aren't dropping like food-poisoned flies, and I don't recall that Tums work because they contain penicillin.
Hmmmmmm....... :?

Prejudicial opinion, paranoia, and flawed information presented as "harm-reduction" most definitely doesn't help anyone here, and it's hypocritical in the extreme to try passing them off as such.

Last edited:
Does anyone else think computers and/or cellphones FUEL ADD?

Does with me! I can't even watch a television show, let a lone a movie anymore. Stay up until sunrise.

I don't deal with it. I didn't know I had it until I was 16 years old and one of my teachers told me I likely had ADD. She has it, so I imagine she knows what she's talking about. I've never been officially diagnosed. Some days I want to go to the doctor and get a prescription but I don't want to be labeled. I also have a lot of pride and tell myself I have to deal with this on my own. A lot of this comes from having a high IQ, 135, and telling myself I'm smart enough to beat this alone. A lot of times I wonder if perhaps my IQ isn't what it was before and I need to give it up and get help. I dropped out of college last year because I can't focus even on things I like and want to learn. It's impossible. But I'm afraid a prescription would change me and I wouldn't be myself anymore. Despite my self hatred, I'm very funny, creative, and mostly cheerful. Although I have days where I'm extremely depressed because of my failures. The only bright spot in all this is my job. I work in a very physical environment where my superiors absolutely adore me because of my strong work ethic. I hope that I can summon the strength to go back to college in a few years, hopefully I'm more mature by then, and finish my degree. I can't stand being a disappointment to my teacher (the one that "diagnosed" me). She's like a mother to me (my real mom and I don't get along) and I promised her I would go to college.

Badly . . .
I have been lurking for a while and saw this thread and just had to make my first post. So here goes:
I was diagnose at 15, but it has always been obvious and my parents only got it made official in order to start me on medication, which I don't take as prescribed. I "deal" by doing anything adrenaline related, especially jumping off tall objects into water. I feel like adrenaline clears my head a bit, but it is very short lived and I have to keep finding new things cause after I have done something a few times it isn't as exciting :\

Hell.... I can't even count the endless hours I've burned geeking-out on games & phone technology. Jailbreaking & programming everyones' Motorola Razrs, Androids, Blackberries, and iPhones kept me occupied well enough when I lost everything..... and sometimes I'd end up with free or cheap smartphones when someone bricked theirs and couldn't fix em.
But if it weren't for my ADD-like focus, I wouldn't have mad f0n€ h@xX0r $ki¦z. 8)

Last edited:

I've just noticed during LSD experiences that I don't feel more intelligent, rather I feel like I can develop thoughts and ideas much more clearly and quickly. I feel that if I trained myself under the influence of the chemical, I would be able to use it to perform such things as homework, only that the visuals and some of the aspects of experience would render me unable to drive or function as there was a time last fall where I dosed 8 times in 3 months and at the end of this, I was very spacey, had very erratic thoughts, was unable to function socially and thought that things like class were below my grandiose ideas.

LSD is my favorite psychedelic but when taken too often (and imo, too often depends on the individual as well as other factors like during that time period, just like, now, I am still developing mentally) my mind doesn't fare too well. There are other factors too of course but I'm just explaining my experience with the drug last fall.

I don't think so, only because I believe that there are some differences between people with ADD/ADHD and people who don't, on a biological/pharmacological level.

This is my personal opinion, with what we have now (that I'm aware of). I wouldn't be skeptical about what the future can hold, but I wouldn't think it would be possible to have such a thing IMO.