• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How do i maintain a healthy lifestyle?

ovenbakedskittles

Bluelighter
hi...

I want to start off by saying that i do not do drugs. I used to but not anymore. To this day i miss the way that drugs would affect me. Specifically the increase in motivation and energy, how it made me want to talk to people and connect with them, and how it just made me generally happy with my life.

First, i want to ask you guys. Is it possible to have these same effects by living a healthy lifestyle? or maybe with the help of some medication such as antidepressants? or maybe a combination of both? This has been a major problem in my life ever since i stopped using drugs and i guess, in a way, before i started using drugs.

I have severe social anxiety which makes it impossible for me to connect with people and have fun in social situations the way i wish to be... also i find myself always lethargic and unmotivated to do simple things like clean out my car and more important things like start college or getting to work on time... im 20 years old by the way... Sometimes i feel like i wouldnt care if i were to like get fired from work or something because all i wanna do is stay at home and do nothing. Sometimes i cant even get myself out of bed... Im sure people have these same issues but i feel like its harder for me to deal with these kinds of problems.

I drink a lot of soda. Mostly because i like the taste but also because i feel like caffeine is the only way that i am able to become motivated to get things done and also motivates me to listen and play music which is something im really passionate about. I tried to stop consuming drinks with caffeine and sugar and i went two weeks without drinking any soda and very little drinks with sugar. I did this because i wanted to see if i can reach that level of motivation and energy without the help of soda or energy drinks by eating healthy and exercising daily... I did notice some benefits within those two weeks, but i still felt lazy and depressed and not wanting to do things most of the time. I tried to not drink soda for at least a month but i grew impatient and i started to lose hope for achieving my goal.

I need your guys' help! I need to know how i can maintain a healthy lifestyle long enough to reach that point of increased energy and motivation... Im focusing more on my mental health more than my physical health. I want to know if i can reach that state of mind without the use of any substances like drugs or caffeine.

This goes deeper than the stuff im explaining but i cannot explain it well and theres too much to explain... I want that mental clarity. That confidence. The willingness to talk to people and have conversations with them. Im not sure how to improve those things. And even if i did i would proly be too lazy to do what i have to do to improve it... But the thing is i dont want to just IMPROVE it... i want to feel like how i felt when i would take drugs or how i feel when i drink caffeine. or at least something close to that.

Any advice or tips for anything i just explained would be very much appreciated. and for anyone who has read this, please ask me questions if you need me to clarify something or if you need more information.

THANKS

First off: The feeling you get from drugs is false and not sustainable.

Always keep in mind that you need to do babysteps. Basically looking at your entire life as a whole that needs to change can become very overwhelming. Progress not perfection.

Have you seen a psychiatrist? What you are describing sounds a bit like major depressive disorder. You may need to get stabilized on meds. I started taking meds and my quality of life improved dramatically. Where I once was unmotivated and sullen all the time, I got back to a better baseline. My anxiety got better, I was able to work well again, and I genuinely cared about what I was doing.

Check out the mindfulness meditation thread...it is stickied in SL. Meditation has been very helpful for me. It helps me calm my frayed nerves. I also have a hobby that I really enjoy and I choose to water my garden and meditate in the morning. Knowing that if I don't do the work for it, my garden will die gives me intense satisfaction and motivation to stay on a routine.

How do you eat? One thing that could make you sluggish is eating mostly simple carbohydrates, or eating red meat all the time. Do not eat for one hour before bed. I suggest you eat five small meals a day with whole grains, fruits and vegetables, dairy, and smaller portions of meat. Having a good diet will give you more energy. Exercise is good as well, once you are in a routine you will get natural energy from it. Even if you are just walking around your neighborhood for a half hour everyday, it will help get your metabolism going.

I am sure there are many people in this forum that can help you. You may want to check out The Darkside which is moderated by moreaux.

ps: Getting to bed on time and getting up early will help you with your routine. Eventually it will become second nature to be up early and be busy

First off: The feeling you get from drugs is false and not sustainable.

Always keep in mind that you need to do babysteps. Basically looking at your entire life as a whole that needs to change can become very overwhelming. Progress not perfection.

Have you seen a psychiatrist? What you are describing sounds a bit like major depressive disorder. You may need to get stabilized on meds. I started taking meds and my quality of life improved dramatically. Where I once was unmotivated and sullen all the time, I got back to a better baseline. My anxiety got better, I was able to work well again, and I genuinely cared about what I was doing.

Check out the mindfulness meditation thread...it is stickied in SL. Meditation has been very helpful for me. It helps me calm my frayed nerves. I also have a hobby that I really enjoy and I choose to water my garden and meditate in the morning. Knowing that if I don't do the work for it, my garden will die gives me intense satisfaction and motivation to stay on a routine.

How do you eat? One thing that could make you sluggish is eating mostly simple carbohydrates, or eating red meat all the time. Do not eat for one hour before bed. I suggest you eat five small meals a day with whole grains, fruits and vegetables, dairy, and smaller portions of meat. Having a good diet will give you more energy. Exercise is good as well, once you are in a routine you will get natural energy from it. Even if you are just walking around your neighborhood for a half hour everyday, it will help get your metabolism going.

I am sure there are many people in this forum that can help you. You may want to check out The Darkside which is moderated by moreaux.

ps: Getting to bed on time and getting up early will help you with your routine. Eventually it will become second nature to be up early and be busy
I try to eat healthy but its hard. A couple weeks ago i started eating pretty healthy but the past few days i have been slowly returning back to my old eating habits like fast food.

Fast foods are a huge no-no when you are getting healthy. There is a reason that it is so cheap...low quality ingredients.

we are very similar OP..first if you are trying to mimic the feeling you used to get from doing massive amounts of drugs, and trying to find that in everyday life, you are going to be disappointed..instead focus on when you were dopesick, broke or just when you woke up the next day crashing hard..i find myself much to often trying to find things in everyday life that can come close to the drug high and it just leads to depression and frustration..

what helps me stay healthy are 2 things, lifting weights daily and i found a new hobby, bike riding..they both help relieve stress and anxiety and boost mood..i recommend all addicts to start some type of exercise program even though i know it doesnt sound fun, it helps out in different ways!

i also have social anxiety and am very introverted so i definitely know how much this can destroy relationships..you mention drinking a lot of caffeine, i highly recommend tapering off and quitting it altogether!i KNOW what u are thinking, u need caffeine to function but you really dont, its a lie..i quit caffeine 1-2 months ago and my anxiety was reduced 50%, my energy levels actually improved and my moods were much more stable..no high anxious jittery peaks followed by the lethargic comedowns..trust me, way too many people depend on caffeine to get through the day but its actually hurting them more than it helps..

you also sound depressed which hard exercise will help but maybe consider seeing a doctor about it?there are some effective medications for motivation like Welbutrin and Selegiline..

Diet and good sleep hygene are the two secrets to being able to truly enjoy life, whether you used to used drugs, currently use drugs, or never used any drugs to begin with. Mother nature's secret: sleep and nurishment.

Eat right, exercise, stay hydrated, exercise, and get enough sleep. Hygiene is important as well but that's a given.

What about your self care. It is true, when you take care of your looks and appearance it really helps with depression.

And the other kind of self care, where you go out and do something that is wholly enjoyable like hitting a brand new movie or seeing your favorite band, sports team or comedian.