Mental Health How do I know if an antidepressant is working?

So where are you up to at present. What are you taking daily?

P.s my point earlier was for example, I take Amitriptyline which is primarily for my Ulcerative Colitis (miracle worker) but having on diagnosis years ago, had consecutive anxiety and low mood, it has helped with serotonin levels for sure, Whereas my brothers anxiety stems from OCD and the TCA Cliomipramine was far far more clinically effective for him!!

For 3 weeks, I’ve been on Wellbutrin amount in miligrams not sure probably 30. Taken off anti-psychotic Loxapine and replaced with Olanzpine. They’re looking to switch my antidepressant in the coming days due to nausea. Was on 2mg daily of Suboxone for 3 weeks then just came off. I’m supposed to be in here 6 more days is what the laws around here say unless they find a reason to keep me in the ward.

Are you in hospital for your mental issues, or is it pertaining to something else. Either way, you may have the opportunity to find out which type of anti-depressant you will hopefully respond well to.

E.g Bupropion (Wellbutrin) raises free floating dopamine levels, and if you are low in serotonin, it’s a pointless exercise. Hope that makes sense bud ?

The first antidepressant that I ever tried that also made me puke was called: escitalopram/Cipralex. In the ward after a speed trip caused psychosis. Day number 2 off Suboxone. Some joint/muscle pain not too bad. Low energy of course.

Last edited:
Do you know what you are deficient in, or what you suspect to be? If the opposite enantiomer of Citalopram was a pass or Wellbutrin disnt help, you may need to have a look through your options.

Mirtazapine is quite often used for non responders to ssri’s or ndri’s ?

They were saying that my hippocampi are small while my dopamine production is too high hence the bad short-term memory and over stimulation I get from city traffic. I’ve never bought into psychiatry but I’m giving it a chance for once.

So, I’m currently being treated for psychosis and depressive symptoms is why I’m in here.

Well if that’s the case, the last thing you need is Wellbutrin. Are your drs open to suggestion or are you just being given shit that they decide?

Well if that’s the case, the last thing you need is Wellbutrin. Are your drs open to suggestion or are you just being given shit that they decide?
They hardly give me a choice. Either antipsychotic A or antipsychotic B is the extent of my choices.

So normal so to speak, antidepressants aren’t an option?

What is your clinical diagnosis?

They’re currently looking/shopping for an antidepressant different from Wellbutrin. I believe I’ve always suffered from depression but more so in recent years. But how much of that depression relates to oxycodone-use it’s too soon to know. Day 3 off Suboxone and just muscle pain which I took regular tylenol for. I feel depressed today most probably from opiod-withdrawal.

Does your depression have an element of anxiety and/or rumination do you think?

If you stick with it, hopefully you will find something that at least helps you learn what med path is correct for you. I know this is probably not an option, but I have known people not sure which neurotransmitters need a boost and polish, who tested Tramadol for confirmation and an immediate response (or not) to a serotonergic inducing compound.

Then you will be able to eliminate other AD’s and concentrate on something clinically beneficial.

I usually never feel anxious. Just depressed every single day for years to the point that I felt that I really couldn’t physically get up and go to work without mother’s little helper: opioid.

I dunno now actually. I really thought Wellbutrin+Lamictal was working but now I'm heading straight back to square one. Falling into a bad depressive episode, feels so familiar, almost like I'm home. I don't know what in particular triggered it, could've been a combination of a lot of things. I'm at the maximum dose of Wellbutrin and it's like I'm not even on anything, I'm just a little more agitated and a little less tired, everything else is almost as bad is it ever was. I came into work absolutely wasted and almost got caught. Can't count how many times I said "nah, nah I'm good, just a little tired hehe". They let me off early and said "You did really good today, you can go home, you earned it" which was really weird. I have no idea what it was... I must've really obviously looked like I wanted to kill myself, which is mortifying. A lot of people there already don't like me for obvious reasons, right off the bat. So to come in like that, makes things even more awkward.

Like I said, the Wellbutrin is as high as it can go, idk how much higher I can raise Lamictal to. I do not want to go through switching mood stabilizers, and all SSRIs are off the table, so I figure I'll ask about any adjunct medications I can add that aren't antipsychotics, because I'm not quite bad enough that those seem like a preferable option.

idk what that would be though

Really fucking disappointed that this happened. I really considered checking myself into in-patient today, but I don't think I'm to the point where there's legitimately a cause for concern, which I suppose is good. I almost wish that didn't have people in my life who cared about me, would make the choice a lot easier. But as it stands, I do and I can't do it to them.

I think in general though, in a very broad sense, I'm still getting better overall, despite this setback

Got to always keep looking forward though. Like I said earlier, meds are a tricky thing to get right.

You’re not alone pal been there, and so has @Factualist too it seems.

I am not well versed on anti-psychotics, however I think you may want to factor those in, as a possible reason nothing works depression wise.

P.s I still do exactly what you mentioned but for anxiety. I have Colitis so pain meds are legit, but I generally love them not for pain relief, just life relief? Keep us posted.

They are dosing me with Benztropine at the moment for my twitching body-parts while I experience withdrawal from 2mg Suboxone. Gave me a bit of Ativan as well. Forth night without suboxone and my greatest fear has been no sleep or 1-2 hours a night.

You'll know they are working if you get all sorts of physical side effects and lose your sex drive. Taking antidepressants made me more depressed and unmotivated. Was prescribed them for anxiety/panic disorder but I think doctors prescribe it if you are also getting benzos so they can cover themselves.

They also put me on Benztropine. for my psychosis and automatic twitching .Sometimes these meds make me twitch and other times they make me feel like I’m high. My sex drive has also decreased I feel.
Oh and one more thing. My vision is blurry. It seems like I’m both near-sighted and far-sighted. WTF?

Last edited:
Your doctor will be able to see if you still qualify for depression based on specific criteria. That and your explicit answer when they ask if you're still depressed, or when you remark it otherwise.

It is a confusing road for sure. The real answer is, nobody knows 100%. The best way to find out is trial-and-error. Paxil made me much more depressed, as did Abilify. For me, Citalopram (Celexa) has made a world of difference. We all exhibit depression differently and for me it would be crying all the time due to the feeling of worthlessness.

Unfortunately, unlike Benzos, SSRI can take weeks to reach ideal levels in your bloodstream. I recommend giving your anti-depressant a proper chance. If between the 8-12 week mark you feel no improvement in mood, or feel worse, then it is not for you. If you do feel better but it is "an emotional roller coaster", talk to your doctor about combining the SSRI with a mood stabilizer. Wishing you the best