• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help How Can I Beat Gabapentin Addiction?

MamaDeer

Greenlighter
I spent several years camping up my norco/dilaudid addiction along with klonopin (that's the short story). I found myself in a situation where I didn't have access (family vacation, yeah) to refills. Went through a month long nightmare (vaca was only 10 days, but I figured it was good timing as I knew I needed to find a way to stop). However, I didn't learn my lesson. I soon substituted alcohol for the loss I was feeling. Bad Idea! A couple of years later I found myself in a psych hospital for suicidal thoughts. Well, at least I'm finally going to get some real help, I thought. So they put me on gabapentin. I thought no way that could help. To be honest, I am a medical professional, gabapentin was never considered a problem. I told an MD friend of mine about it and he was really surprised. He said that was a joke, no way gabapentin is going to help. Guess what. It did help. I was amazed! Problem though is now, 4 years down the road, I'm addicted to gabapentin. Sooooooooo..... I am reaching out to anyone out there who has beat gabapentin. I dont want to go through these nightmares again. I am the sole provider for my family. I cant take time off work. I've done that before, it sets my life in a backward motion. I cant keep this up! ANY advice will be appreciated. Thank you so much!

What's up Mamadeer.

I'll move this thread to Health & Recovery, where sometimes withdrawal questions are posed. You'll get better answers over there.

NMI --> H&R

Welcome to bluelight, and be safe!

Last edited by a moderator:
What's up Mamadeer.

I'll move this thread to Health & Recovery, where sometimes withdrawal questions are posed. You'll get better answers over there.

NMI --> H&R

Welcome to bluelight, and be safe!
Thank you madness00! I appreciate your help

This is very timely post, thanks
I am wanting to get off my Norco addiction ( dependence?) not sure there is a difference ??
I have looked into Gabapentin as a Silver bullet to No Pain withdrawals ?.
But there is so much going on in my life right now ( why do I wait till life is a shit storm to want to quit?.) I guess that when life is going well I don’t want to be sober ???

I can offer this. Do NOT cold Turkey crash yourself. Bad idea. Tapering off with a doctors help would be best. The anxiety RLS and possibly more will put you over the edge. There is no need to tackle this alone or to suffer needlessly. I'm a chronic severe pain patient due to bone degeneration from a severe crush injury. I dont do well without my meds. And I talk to and am honest with my doctor. They get paid the big bucks to take care of you. I take gabapentin and hydromorphone for my condition a d I'm not unfamiliar with WDs. Trying to cope without help is just not a good idea. I found myself trying to use alcohol to fill in the gap and got in BIG trouble. Best of luck and dont suffer in silence.

If I remember correctly .. you take 20-25mgs hydro. If so, gabapentin would probably totally wipe at any withdrawal at the right dose .

Gabapentin can certainly be quit but you really need to taper it down as slowly as you can to minimise withdrawal. A lot of doctors don't seem aware of this and think a one week taper is doable but this is nonsense farmed out by the pharmaceutical industry.

What sort of dose are you taking?