• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos How Bad is My Habit?

qwerty4197

Greenlighter
Hi Guys,

I've dependent on kratom and benzos for a couple years now. I just want to get a sense of how bad my benzo habit is, since I would like to nix that ASAP with minimal w/d. Right now on 22.5mg of Temazepam per night (equivalent to just over 10mg Diazepam).

I began using GABA substances after chronic insomnia (many years ago I used to be an alcoholic - probably messed up my receptors).

So my doc started me out with 10mg Ambien, then Sonata. I also suffer from anxiety, and I actually abused alot of the Z-drugs I was prescribed. I really enjoyed the feeling - there's nothing like railing 5 Sonata capsules. Instant relief from anxiety and trippiness.

After the z-drugs, my doc started to prescribe me Temazepam 15mg. I fell in love with it, found other sources, and averaged 45mg Temazepam per night for a while - average (since I would binge a few nights a month) This was about one year ago.

Now I am down to 22.5mg of Temazepam per night, no other gaba-ergic drugs. I just jumped recently from 30mg Temaz to 22.5mg. Not a difficult jump.

I've been on Temazepam for a total of 1yr, down to 22.5mg per night - so I want to know if it's safe for me to do a rapid taper down to ZERO in the next 3 months.

Is this doable? The only reason I ask is because Temazepam is one of the weakest benzos in existence, where 40mg of Temazepam is equal to 0.5mg Alprazolam.

So it's not like I'm taking a couple of bars every night, but just over 0.25mg of Alprazolam in equivalent dosage comparison. Temazepam's half-life is just a bit longer than Alprazolam, nowhere near the long halflife of Clonazepam or Diazepam.

Is the equivalent of just over 0.25mg Alprazolam per night a tough addiction to beat? I've heard so many horror stories of benzo addiction, and a couple years ago, I tapered from ~7mg Etizolam per day to 0.20mg Etizolam/day.

So, I plan on tapering from 22.5mg of Temazepam (2wks) to 20mg (2wks) to 17.5mg (2wks) to 15mg(2wks).

What am I in for in terms of withdrawal? How bad is my habit? Thanks so much BL!

Last edited:
thanks smackydowners.

I guess my main concern is that I've abused gaba-ergics a great deal in the past. Prior to obtaining my Temazepam script August of last year, I was on a 3-month long Etizolam binge eating 7-10mg per day.

About six years ago, I stopped drinking alcohol pretty much cold turkey after 4yrs of steadily increasing alcoholism (age 18-23). At the end, I went from two pints of vodka to zero - using Kratom as a substitute.

Even though it's a low dose script, and I feel fully responsible for being dependent, I feel that my doctor should not have prescribed me 15mg Temazepam per day for more than six weeks max.

Lastly, does anyone have any opinions on whether Mirtazepine will help/hurt a taper? I'm prescribed 15mg for weight gain - half a pill really helps my insomnia. I've only taken it a few times, I'm afraid that it will hurt my benzo taper.

Mirtazepine wouldn't do much or anything to your benzo taper except perhaps help you get better sleep or have a better appetite.

I would try to do a slower taper, to minimize the post acute withdrawal symptoms. That's just me, though.

Never underestimate PAWS, especially with benzos.

Just slow down your taper a little bit. You sound like your on the right track.
If you really messed up your gaba system, the more oblivious it will become on a slower taper and you will be able to plan and act accordingly. At the rate you are using, I cannot see the other medication interfering with your taper.

I don't plan on Mirtazepine long term, or maybe should start taking it for sleep after the benzos. Thanks for all of your thoughts.

I had to edit my original post - the dosage equivalent is actually just over 0.25 alprazolam per day. It sounds so trivial, but whenever I take my nightly dose of 22.5mg temazepam, I start getting incredibly clear-headed and other positive effects. It's almost as if I feel like I'm in a cocoon for the whole day, and can only break free when I take my nightly dose of benzo.

I know there are others like me who are scripted benzos for medical purpose but binge and use them recreationally. I still get massive paradoxical effects upon taking my benzos - stimulating and motivating.

The "high" (if you can call it that for equivalent of just over a quarter mg xanax), is something I still look forward to each evening. My main issues is habit - I never really took it for sleep. Meaning I would always take it and wait 3-4hrs to sleep - staying awake to enjoy the effects.

given my prior history binging w/ benzos, I have no idea why they are schedule IV, and not higher. I much prefer the benzo high, and they are more-ish like coke. It's always a waste as well, each time I get "high" on a large dose, I don't remember jack shit. Totally not worth it.

As far as physical habbit, you don't have much of one at all. As far as psychological habit, I think you have a big one. Keep an eye on that one.

Everyone is different, but you shouldn't be that bad from the low doses. I agree w/ legaluser that some of that supplement stuff should help your head adjust a little easer.

As far as physical habbit, you don't have much of one at all. As far as psychological habit, I think you have a big one. Keep an eye on that one.

Yeah, I'm mainly fearful of my psychological habit.

I've had GAD, and other types of anxiety since childhood, and I have a stressful job. Although this is scripted for insomnia - I have been using it to ease anxiety as well.

Does anyone know if any of the following substances have anxiolytic qualities and or an agonist or allosteric modulator for GABA-A receptors?

1) Phenibut - mostly GABA-B, but I've heard that it has GABA-A activity at high dosages.

2) Mirtazepine - I've heard it been prescribed for anxiety

3) Phenylpiracetam - I've heard quotes of anxiolysis being a feature, however subtle.

Thanks again for your help.

Yeah, I'm mainly fearful of my psychological habit.

That's pretty much gonna be your biggest issues, because thgis isn't too bad of a dose and a mild taper should take care of it pretty well. It's never going to be "comfortable" but it very doable.

OTOH, you are already searching for replacements, which I understand, but it would be easy to replace with something that leads you back to abuse i you aren't careful.

How much exercize do you get?

That's pretty much gonna be your biggest issues, because thgis isn't too bad of a dose and a mild taper should take care of it pretty well. It's never going to be "comfortable" but it very doable.

OTOH, you are already searching for replacements, which I understand, but it would be easy to replace with something that leads you back to abuse i you aren't careful.

How much exercize do you get?

thx for your thoughts. I know that phenibut is addictive - but I've never had a problem (before) taking 1.5 grams a day for months and easy tapering off.

Very sparsely do I exercise anymore. I used to love lifting, and I love the after-exercise "high".

However, is it safe to exercise during benzo reduction and tapering?

Meaning lowering the seizure threshold?

I know it's not a heavy dose to start with. But I can imagine someone with a 8mg/day Xanax habit would be weary of exercsing during sharp tapers.

Look qwerty, the physical amount you are on,/have been on is very, very small. There is a point that you could be making this a bigger deal in your head. Your looking for replacements for the small habit you want to give up? I respect you for wanting to do things correctly, but I think it's time to put an end to this.

I say taper the fuck out of this if you must. I cannot say that there is anything wrong with a taper. Especially if you feel emotionally or mentally fragile.

If I were you, I ( the key word is I as in me) would stop cold now. Just say fuck it I'm a man. I'm on a very low dose, and cut yourself off right now.

You are still going to feel some minor w/d symptoms, mental cravings possibly, but that's it. I could last a few days at most.

You need to mentally think on things unrelated to your minor withdrawal. Focus on relaxing, happy, positive things.

Now if at any time you get real, bad side effects, treat them accordingly including calling a doctor( doubt this will happen, but harm reduction info cannot be left out).

Remember that the feelings you do not like, will pass. That uneasiness you are going through is a purification of sorts. No matter what phase of detoxification you are in, remember to see the positives.

I think you can do it this way. If you must, take the extra time and continue a slow taper. You are just stretching out the inevitable, but it's your choice.

Feel free to PM me if you need any advice or anything I could possibly help you with.

Mirtazapine is anxiolytic and is normally administered after ssris fail. It's also handy for insomniacs or folks experiencing rebound insomnia. It won't help with rebound anxiety as it takes weeks/months to work.