• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Horrible feeling after injecting - what happened to me?

casualdruguser

Greenlighter
Yesterday i crushed a IR morphine pill (sevredol 10mg) that i had never injected before (but i searched online and found many others who have injected the same one). So i put it through my usual routine; Crushed it up, mixed some water in with it (clean water from the needle exchange), sucked it through a cigarette filter then filtered it through 3 micron filters 'piggybacked' (5, 1.2 and 0.2 micron respectively). The resulting solution in my new syringe was crystal clear as usual and i thought i was ready to go.

It was only 10mg so i didn't expect much. After i injected i didnt really feel a hell of alot, but then shortly after (about a minute after injecting) i started to feel this enormous rush building (not really a pleasant one)... my vision started getting little spots all through it, my chest tightened, my face started to tingle and go numb, i instantly started sweating and needed to get outside straight away and suck in fresh air. I also suddenly had a really sore lower back (my back doesnt usually get sore). It felt like i was overdosing or something - but thats impossible with 10mg?? Especially for someone like me with a tolerance. So i was standing outside feeling scared and wondering what the fuck was going on with my body. The feeling had peaked and was not getting any worse, but i felt like shit. I then started feeling really sick and then vomited off the side of the deck. After that i felt a bit better and then i started getting chills and shivers. I slowly returned to normal over the next few hours and then next day (today) im fine.

What happened to me? Was this cotton fever? It sounds like it, but ive never heard symptoms of numb face? All equipment used was brand new and in sealed packages. I never re-use anything.

Yesterday i crushed a IR morphine pill (sevredol 10mg) that i had never injected before (but i searched online and found many others who have injected the same one). So i put it through my usual routine; Crushed it up, mixed some water in with it (clean water from the needle exchange), sucked it through a cigarette filter then filtered it through 3 micron filters 'piggybacked' (5, 1.2 and 0.2 micron respectively). The resulting solution in my new syringe was crystal clear as usual and i thought i was ready to go.

It was only 10mg so i didn't expect much. After i injected i didnt really feel a hell of alot, but then shortly after (about a minute after injecting) i started to feel this enormous rush building (not really a pleasant one)... my vision started getting little spots all through it, my chest tightened, my face started to tingle and go numb, i instantly started sweating and needed to get outside straight away and suck in fresh air. I also suddenly had a really sore lower back (my back doesnt usually get sore). It felt like i was overdosing or something - but thats impossible with 10mg?? Especially for someone like me with a tolerance. So i was standing outside feeling scared and wondering what the fuck was going on with my body. The feeling had peaked and was not getting any worse, but i felt like shit. I then started feeling really sick and then vomited off the side of the deck. After that i felt a bit better and then i started getting chills and shivers. I slowly returned to normal over the next few hours and then next day (today) im fine.

What happened to me? Was this cotton fever? It sounds like it, but ive never heard symptoms of numb face? All equipment used was brand new and in sealed packages. I never re-use anything.
Could be a few different things, no way to tell for sure though. You body may just really not like IVing those pills. Did you register when injecting it? If so did you make sure the blood was crimson red? Otherwise it's also possibly you hit an artery rather than a vein.

Did you register when injecting it? If so did you make sure the blood was crimson red? Otherwise it's also possibly you hit an artery rather than a vein.

Absolutely no chance i missed or hit an artery. I am of slim build and have around 7 or 8 large veins around my inner elbows and down my arms that i rotate between and can very easily access. I often don't even need to use a tourniquet because they already stand out. My friend says my arms are a junkies dream. The vein i entered this particular time was one of the largest, and i always double check anyway by drawing back before i inject.

Did anyone have the pill in his mouth before?

No. I cleaned off the blue outer coating thoroughly using alcohol swabs prior to crushing. The pill was not in a sealed container though, so i guess its possible something had contaminated it.

The symptoms casualdruguser describes do not sound like an overdose at all.

Perhaps off topic, but: Don't people cook up crushed morphine pills in a spoon over there? I always did that, added ascorbic acid, waited for the solution to cool down and filtered it before injecting. Exactly same procedure as with heroin. Sevredol is unfamiliar to me. I remember using lots and lots of 100mg Dolcontin and 100mg Depolan pills (I needed much more than 100mg on one dose.)

Were you really itchy too? One guess would be a severe histamine reaction. I remember reading that it's more common with natural opiates, though I'm not sure how true that is for morphine. But I know that's the case with codeine, which is why it's advised not to IV it.

Were you really itchy too? One guess would be a severe histamine reaction. I remember reading that it's more common with natural opiates, though I'm not sure how true that is for morphine.
Yes, it actually sounds like a histamine reaction! My memory is not good concerning the years of my drug addiction. Histamine reaction is common with morphine. In the past, after years of heavy opiate use, I developed a "chronic histamine reaction", which meant that I always had to take Atarax (hydroxyzine) before shooting up opiates. Just to be able to breathe. This was doctor's advice and Atarax was prescribed to me for that reason.

Last edited:
I now remember that my doctor said that one inevitably gets histamine reaction when the opiate tolerance is so high that the dose to keep one healthy is very close to a deadly dose. Or something like that. Anyway, I usually did 0,5 grams morphine on one shot, so the original poster's case seems different. Maybe casualdruguser is just sensitive to histamine reaction?

My guess is either someone has a pill press and you got something you weren't expecting or a strong histamine reaction.

The histamine reaction can be completely ruled out because i inject 3 different types of morphine. One is an oral morphine solution, the other are 30mg m-eslon tablets i crush and inject, and recently i have been using glass vials of hospital grade injectable morphine. All with zero issues whatsoever. If i had some sort of allergic reaction to morphine then i would experience it with the other 3 forms that i regularly inject. This pill was different, i am now suspecting that it was contaminated with outside bacteria that my micron filters did not remove... I really am curious about the mechanics of what happened. If i did inject myself with some sort of bacteria, then why did it come on suddenly and strongly and then disappear? Wouldn't it take a while for the bacteria to establish itself in my body, replicate and start causing havoc? Does anyone have any idea what happened to me?

Did you have the shakes? This sounds like cotton fever if it came on strong then faded after 20mins to an hour. Cotton fever doesn't always feel the same. There were times that I would just shake uncontrollably and get extremely cold sweats, and other times I would get terrible pins and needles and throw up over and over again. In all honesty and fairness we can't help you decide what this is because noone was there to witness what happened.

Morphine was my drug of choice and I would shoot 300mg at a time. The worst I experienced was uncomfortable pins and needles for a few seconds.

sounds like u got the normal pins and needles feeling from morphine(atleast thats what i get)(not a fan) and follow up of a little cotton fever along with it. Cotton fever can come and go very fast or hang around for an hour+. It also makes my back hurt and i will most def be throwing up

Did you have the shakes? This sounds like cotton fever if it came on strong then faded after 20mins to an hour. Cotton fever doesn't always feel the same. There were times that I would just shake uncontrollably and get extremely cold sweats, and other times I would get terrible pins and needles and throw up over and over again. In all honesty and fairness we can't help you decide what this is because noone was there to witness what happened.

Yeah i did have the shaked. I realize nobody is going to be able to tell me with 100% certainty what happened, but i figured i gave a pretty detailed description so maybe someone could say yep thats what ive had before and its because of this or that

I agree it sounds like a dirty shot or cotton fever. Especially if you were shaking- were your teeth chattering, did you feel really fatigued, have a pulsing headache.

Dirty shots/cotton fever feel very similar to arterial injections IME, except with arterial injections you know right away what you did because of the feeling of fire shooting down your extremities.

I agree it sounds like a dirty shot or cotton fever. Especially if you were shaking- were your teeth chattering, did you feel really fatigued, have a pulsing headache.

Dirty shots/cotton fever feel very similar to arterial injections IME, except with arterial injections you know right away what you did because of the feeling of fire shooting down your extremities.

No headache, no fatigure, slight teeth chattering but that just comes part and parcel with the shivers. I am fine now, but i sometimes experience random pins and needles/numbness on my left arm and left leg. Very slight though. This may be partly because i often wake up with my arm dead numb from sleeping on it - i may have done some nerve damage.

I've never experienced an arterial injection and am unlikely to ever experience it. I have so many veins on my arms that i will never have issues with finding a spot.