• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

home theatre setup discussion v1 can't believe we don't have one already

alasdairm

Moderator: S&T
Staff member
any home-theatre surround sound buffs in the house?

i’m moving in to a new place and i’m going to upgrade my tv/receiver/surround set up. i don’t need any earth-shattering 9.2 setup - just a half-decent 5.1 setup. i have one question.

this is what i’m looking at doing:

surroundsetup.png

i have yamaha receiver already but it does not support ARC and i think that’s the crucial piece of this puzzle...

as long as I have a TV and receiver which support HDMI ARC this should work, correct?

alasdair

i think i've been overthinking this. assuming i have a suitable receiver, i can just plug the firestick into the receiver which will decode the audio directly. the tv is then connected to the receiver HDMI out and i'm all set? i think...

so it's a little simpler. like this:

surroundsetup02.png

does anybody here have a setup like this?

i'm starting to look at receivers and denon and onkyo seem pretty good e.g. the denon avr-s750h or onkyo txnr696 (yes they're both 7.2. but gives me a little future-proofing)

alasdair

My father has an Onkyo. It is good.

I am lazy so I just sound bar and subwoofer.

I'll ask my pops about his setup when he comes back from that cig run he left for about 25 years ago with our "pool boy" Alberto.

Last edited:
you think? i'm lucky living in the u.s. where i can put together a half-decent system with those speakers, receiver and tv for < £1000

alasdair

That middle class dream

Iirc my pops first sound setup was to keep up with mr. Jones next door. Blew those the first night blaring some 'faeries wear boots' or 'sweet leaf' iirc (which I don't bc I was 2)

I love browsing crutchfield thinking about all the shit I want to buy.

I've got a lower end Sony 320w sub-soundbar combo. Good enough to wake the neighbors (y)

any receiver suggestions? i'm leaning towards the denon avr-2600h. don't need 7.2 but be nice to have the option later...

alasdair

any receiver suggestions? i'm leaning towards the denon avr-2600h. don't need 7.2 but be nice to have the option later...

alasdair

looks nice.

you might prefer getting it straight from the manufacturer, but crutchfield has a really good open box/scratch and dent option that will save you a lot of money sometimes. You still get the full warranty and it's only minor cosmetic damage.

I've got a lower end Sony 320w sub-soundbar combo. Good enough to wake the neighbors

I have something along these lines, too, but Samsung.

I don't have a good space for surround sound.

I use my Sony STR-6800SD and JBL 4311s for auditory vengeance and pre-emption, though :D

I've got a technics SU-v300M2 amp and mission speakers either side. Some floor standing speakers, quite tall, dunno the make. Sounds good tho

I suggest going with 1st gen 7 ch. Harmon Kardon, Yamaha or better yet Outlaw Audio
They are usually all over craigslist & beat anything new ...

You may even find McIntosh if you wanna spend a couple G's

Last edited:
anybody have tv recommendations?

i've been doing a lot of online research but that only goes so far. i went to a store yesterday to see with my own eyes.

i concluded that the quality gap between a $500 TCL and a $2000 LG OLED is not that big.

samsung QLED look great and the price has dropped significantly.

i wasn't even considering Sony but the best picture i saw was a Sony Bravia.

what you got?

alasdair

anybody have tv recommendations?

i've been doing a lot of online research but that only goes so far. i went to a store yesterday to see with my own eyes.

i concluded that the quality gap between a $500 TCL and a $2000 LG OLED is not that big.

samsung QLED look great and the price has dropped significantly.

i wasn't even considering Sony but the best picture i saw was a Sony Bravia.

what you got?

alasdair

is that a recommendation based on personal experience?

alasdair