• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Holly Shit! There is too much to do and not enough time! Anyone feel likewise?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
I am wondering how you all feel and deal with all the pressure and hectic nature of daily life, at least in uber urban areas like Los Angeles or New York City - How do you do it? Cause I kinda need to know. . . :\

...Actually this applies to all peoples everywhere, this compulsion or feeling of not having done enough, of needing to do more, we certainly aren't special in the so-called developed world or Los Angeles or even CA (hehehe).

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot go out right now due to sickness and a resurgence of my OCD disorder. How I used to deal with it was going out into nature. It is beautiful to feel the green song.

This is a great topic! I think about this stuff often. I was a small town kid that moved into the city about 13 years ago. I work in a fast paced, goal oriented field. The amount of pressure that I put on myself has only increased exponentially over the years. On occasion, I have to take a step back and reevaluate why I do this to myself. It's definitely not a conscious decision as the pressure doesn't help me in the long term, really ever.

Nearly everyone I come into contact with is constantly on the go and thinking about what's next vs what's current and present. It's a very detached way of living without a whole lot of personal connection. I find it depressing personally as constantly obsessing about what hasn't been done yet or what I'll need to do doesn't leave much room for appreciating my one life. My coping methods are to stay fit, work on my self-talk to add positivity, and make a more than moderate effort to slow things down when they begin to spin out of control.

I'm very interested to hear other's take on this topic.

Not even for a walk or anything?

I get overwhelming fear due to agoraphobia. When I was using, the opiates and benzos drowned this out. Its weird. I do mental gymnastics in order to come up with an explanation of why I don't leave my yard. I will say I have been sick, or today is not a good day to go out. My brain is flooded with thoughts and images of all the different ways something could go wrong. It has been over a month now since I last left my house. I can count on one hand the number of people I see everyday (generally less). It is easier with people I trust. I went to jacksonville with my girl...but she was there and I trust her, so it was easier. I know once I feel better I am going to start going out slowly with my brother (the person I trust most in this world) so I can slowly build up the mindset that bad things happen, just not all the time.

I was a chef for many years. That is an extremely busy field, and to stay current you constantly have to be doing research...like going out to eat and reading old cook books. Making things that used to be the mode current and inspiring. I was constantly around people, and I had to work with customers when I had to do big parties. It led to a couple nervous breakdowns and one break from reality. I find now that I can no longer do that successfully without benzos and considering I don't want to be a daily benzo user again, I have to think of something else to do. I would be really good as a night watchman in a warehouse...or lighthouse keeper. I am thinking about trying to find a way to incorporate my love of gardening and skill at getting plants to grow into a career. I don't want to be a landscaper persay (due to most of the time just mowing and trimming...) maybe I could be some sort of outdoor design person. That would be a much better pace for me...and I love being in nature, especially beautiful nature.