HMB as a preload?

barndog

Bluelighter
in light of the past two weekends in which i rolled VERY hard (thus losing a significant amount of weight), i was wondering if HMB could possibly minimize the catoblic effects of MDMA. supplement companies claim that HMB is a 'protein breakdown suppressor'. sounds great, but i'm wondering if there are any possible interactions with E. is there a possibility of an ehanced, or worse yet, a diminished roll? my first priority is to retain muscle mass, but i don't want to waste good E either. anyone have any insight here?

sorry can't give you answers about how it interacts with beans, but nothing has worked for me as good as HMB for adding muscle... supposedly no human testing done yet either so who knows how safe it is

If you wanna retain muscle mass, workout. There's no all-quick fix. You might want to look into creatine, which isn't a pre/postloading thing, but to be taken daily.
Andro is another muscle builder, but even I don't trust it, and I take every pill under the sun. Andro is converted into testosterone a short time after taken. I tried it once before lifting weights, I almost threw up at how hard I pushed myself. You can put up a couple more pounds, its some wicked stuff. Taking it regularly will keep your muscle mass up, and beyond, but you might stop producing testoterone naturally, and develop "bitch tits." Andro is one step away from steroids. Its even illegal in some countries. I don't recommend it.
I try to get a lot of protein into my diet, with shakes, or turkey, whatever. This helps develop muscle with a steady workout. In the past 3 months, I've lost about 30 pounds, but I can lift more with every muscle (of course I changed my diet, started a heavy workout schedule, take loads of supplements, and roll almost every weekend, so who knows what combo caused me to lose all that weight). So don't worry about weight loss, it might just be fat. If it is muscle, you should be eating better. Good luck!

You're wasting your money Barndog. The only clinical studies to support HMB's touted uses for sports nutrition are all done by the same scientist who just happens to be in the pocket of one of the major manufacturers of HMB [EAS]. EAS, formerly owned by Bill Phillips [lovingly referred to by those in the know as "Butt Plug"] has a history of sleazy marketing gimmicks to move shite products.
Interestingly enough when Butt Plug published Muscle Media 2K one of the studies he used most to support his claim that HMB stopped muscle loss was done on chickens.
------------------
d e e p .
"Deep, I can't help but notice that everything you say in here is either negative, rude or just plain stupid" - Freaky Candy Monkey

You're wasting your money Barndog. The only clinical studies to support HMB's touted uses for sports nutrition are all done by the same scientist who just happens to be in the pocket of one of the major manufacturers of HMB [EAS]. EAS, formerly owned by Bill Phillips [lovingly referred to by those in the know as "Butt Plug"] has a history of sleazy marketing gimmicks to move shite products.
Interestingly enough when Butt Plug published Muscle Media 2K one of the studies he used most to support his claim that HMB stopped muscle loss was done on chickens.
------------------
d e e p .
"Deep, I can't help but notice that everything you say in here is either negative, rude or just plain stupid" - Freaky Candy Monkey

i'm not looking for a quick fix. i lift weights all of the time, have a VERY protein rich diet, and also use creatine. i have seen some excellent results, which is why i am so concerned about how much weight i lose when i roll. i have learned that by consuming high carbohydrate drinks while rolling, and eating a protein shake before going to bed, i can cut my weight loss by about half. i'm just looking for a way to cut it even further.
also, EAS is not the only supplement company that claims HMB as an 'anti-catobolic'. other reputable companies, most noteably twinlab, also have products that contain HMB.

LOL Barndog. Reputable companies...If you only knew man...I'm sorry. You're welcome to waste your money as you wish.
If you ever feel keen on following up my claims, the guy I was naming before is Steve Nissen. You'll also notice that the anticatabolic effects proported by such respectable companies who have never once lied in order to sell a product like Twinlab & EAS [guffaw] with HMB requires dosages much too high to be economically practical.
------------------
d e e p .

L-Glutamine is an effective anti catabolic amino acid that can be used with MDMA. The amino acid protects your brain and spares lean tissue. As a side effect, L-glutamine acts as a stimulatory neurotransmitter!
4-5 grams with food to avoid stomach up set. We always took Glut along with the preload and used it after with no problems. It's cheap and effective.
DT

What do people think about l-arginine. Supposedly it increases blood flow, but its big seeling point was better erections. Ive heard thats a crock...anyone use this product, see any reactions?

well, deep, please do tell. which supplements (in your EXPERT opinion) are worthwhile????? which supplement companies are reputable then???
and i have followed up on your claims. steve nissen conducted his research at iowa (state?) university, and published the results in the journal of applied physiology. please don't tell me that butt plug owns that publication as well! tests were initially conducted on animals (and why not?), but the experiment was then extended to include human subjects, and proved conclusively that HMB affected lean tissue development as well as strength. there are MANY users, not just companies, who swear by the effects of HMB. just ask Brock
smile.gif

Hey dont put me in the middle of this, I just said it worked... but then again so does Anadrol or D-ball & Test injects.
deeps got a site devoted to the training sciences so I'd tend to believe what he says pertaining to that kind of stuff.
I've tried every friggin supplement from hot stuff to some $65 phosphogen rich BS, creatine, yohimbe (that stuff was fun), and the best results were with creatine or HMB, but creatine had effects on my system similar to fiberglass. So it's a matter of going with what's comfortable if ya know what I mean.
[This message has been edited by Brock (edited 08 December 1999).]

hmb is garbage. you want to waste your money on it, fine, just don't be arrogant/flippant about it. you could end up looking stupid later on.
The point that you seemed to have missed in going to medline was to check and see if anyone else corroborated Nissen's results. Hrm?
Supplements are simply a cog in the wheel. they will not make up for ineffective training techniques or nutrition. 4-androdiol, 4-norandrodiol, creatine, whey protein, meal replacement powders, essential fatty acids, glucosamine sulfate have all had significant clinical support for their usage as well as empirical evidence. But the thousands of "users" bullshit just won't cut it pal. In the 70's people would claim that Weider's infamous "Anabolik Mega Paks" would help them to put on 40 pounds at a time when they were nothing more than multivitamins. Placebo effect is real and like it or not you are a victim of marketing brainwashing.
FYI EAS' phosphagen and Twinlab's creatine is derived from the same Iowa factory as Champion and Prolab. Why don't you do me a favour and see if EAS does not try to unrealistically differentiate their Phosphagen from say Prolab's product. Would the average consumer have any reason to believe they're the same thing? Why would EAS then stop with creatine? As for your Twinlab they did aggressively market a Chitosan product some time ago, which, has basically zero clinical support.
The very nature of your thinking is flawed. You lose muscle? Okay, well what quantitative evidence do you have to support this? MDMA has been patented as a weight loss drug. This would imply that it enhances metabolism while helping to retain lean body mass [yielding positive improvements in body composition]. Do you any references to suggest that it is not such an agent?
Any urinalysis tests? 5-histadine levels? Body composition tests? Any kinds of numbers instead of just subjective opinions?
Water constitutes lean body mass. If you were to do skinfold caliper tests not only would your skinfolds appear thicker due to dehydration but your physical appearance would seem flatter, fatter and your lean body mass would be "technically" decreased. So according to the classical definition of body fat percentage, sure, you lost lean mass. But not muscle. Decreased hydration levels mean poorer support for working muscles, which in return means faster rates of fatigue. Again, another circumstance which can appear as though "you've lost muscle". Decreased glycogen can give the appearance of flatter muscles because the water that is bound to glycogen also leaves the muscle. You'd also have less energy to work. Again, no change in the contractile protein levels in the muscle but a lot of evidence to make you think so! Truth to be told contractile proteins represent a very small percentage of muscle itself; the majority of the space being occupied by water and glycogen. Why do you think bodybuilders carbohydrate load prior to competitions? Hell, do you think that a night of dancing just "might" negatively impair one's ability for training in subsequent days? Call me crazy....
The point that I'm trying to make may have been lost up in there. It's that if you want to believe something, you will. Regardless of the evidence before you or if you have numbers to support you or not. The fact that you may not even be losing muscle at all should perhaps make you reconsider the validity of your beliefs in HMB.
If you've actually got a penchant to find out how you're wasting your money I suggest you pop over to dejanews and do a search mask for whatever subject you're looking for in the newsgroup misc.fitness.weights. We talked about these issues maybe 4-5 years ago. As the adage goes a fool and his money are soon parted and I don't have the time nor interest to stop that from happening especially when you're flippant about it.
------------------
d e e p .
[This message has been edited by deep (edited 08 December 1999).]

brock:
sorry! didn't mean to pull you in the middle. my only point was that there are others who claim that HMB works
deep:
maybe i was being a little arrogant, but so were you. didn't mean to offend you, but you have to admit that there's an air of arrogance in your posts.
in no way am i defending EAS as a whole, but to answer you question, the difference between phospaghen and twinlab's creatine product is that the phospahgen is mixed with dextrose to spike the insulin and increase creatine absorbtion. their 'transport system' is the way they distinguish their product, and not the creatine itself.
how is the nature of my thinking flawed? is it not reasonable to assume that there is muscle loss while you roll? what about the effects of cortisol? is that not a catoblic hormone? i don't have all of those neat tests at my disposal, so i use common sense. after a couple of days of rehydration, if you weigh less than when you started, something else obviously must be missing. could be fat, could be muscle. probably a little of both, wouldn't you agree? i'm not basing my losses on appearance, either. i'm going by what my scale says. c'mon deep, surely you can admit that you lose muscle when you roll? you lose muscle when you sleep, do you not???
no doubt that supplements are not the end all be all. never claimed that. all i was trying to figure out was if HMB could be used to minimize muscle loss.
and by the way, i have checked out several web sites (some that you have recommended a while back) devoted to bashing EAS, and have found two sides of the story. believe me, i'm a fanatic about looking into what i'm getting into, and i can honestly say that there is TONS of bullshit being flung in both directions. the thing i respect about EAS is that whatever is on the label, is in the product. i'm preaching to the choir here, but there are several supplement companies who don't even do that! but, i will definitely check out those newsgroups to get the scoop. thanks for the info.

deep:
oh, in response to your comment about MDMA being patented as a weight loss drug...
just because something is patented as a weight loss drug doesn't mean that it yields positive improvements in body composition. and just because something is labeled a weight loss drug, doesn't necessarily imply that metabolism is enhanced, or that it retains lean body mass. some weight loss drugs work by suppressing the appetite, thereby decreasing caloric intake. obviously this will reduce both fat AND lean tissue in the body. you will find that Merck was searaching for an 'appetite suppresant' when they discovered MDMA. sure, there are probably some thermogenic qualities to MDMA, but the overriding characteristic of the effects are the loss of appetite. do you have any references to suggest that MDMA is such an agent as you describe?????

just a nitpicky aside here, merck's patent for mdma never specified potential uses of mdma. so it was not patented as a weight loss drug. not that it makes any difference in your discussion really.
smile.gif

brand-x
the following is an excerpt from a may 1996 interview with bruce eisner:
CCN: Bruce, could you describe the circumstances that led to the discovery of MDMA?
BE: Well, MDMA was first synthesized in 1912, and it was during a search the Merck Chemical Company was doing for appetite suppressants. And they patented everything that they synthesized. So they patented MDMA in 1912
true, the patent may not have specified its use, but it seems that they had something along those lines in mind.

uhhh yohimbe sure didn't have placebo effects... ala "beercan" spewage

Arrogance? Damned straight. Being right goes part and parcel with that. I don't have any tolerance for stupid points of view. Someone else can sugar coat this shit but I don't mind telling you that you're a dumbass for believing the hype.
You pay that extra money for the "creatine transport system" skippy. Dextrose is the d-enantiomer of glucose aka fucking SUGAR and you can pick up bags of the stuff by the pound at any winemaking store. But I'm sure it's special EAS sugar, 99% more sugary than competitors sugar! And it comes in the shiny purple bottle!
If you knew about insulin's mechanisms and things like the glycemic index you'd see that simply parroting what Butt Plug writes in Muscle Mediocre doesn't make you any bit more understood in the subject...it makes you look more stupid! Any carbohydrate with a high glycemic index will yield spikes in insulin levels. You want to pay money for dextrose when honey and white bread have basically the same glycemic index and hence impact on insulin levels? In any event better solubilization has been shown to be more effective for creatine retention , and all you need is to boil water to do that. But hey, you wanna be a phosphajerk, be my guest! Just don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining.
Arrogance? Homeboy, check yoself. If you only fucking knew....Man, getting told what Phosphagen is after having consulted well over 5000 trainees, ran sites registering hits well into the six digits and receiving accolades from the likes of Paul Chek, Fred Hatfield and other notables in the industry? You'll forgive me if I am arrogant. I've damned well earned it with countless hours of work.
I'm not wasting any more time on this shit. It's a waste to even bother mentioning the points I have because it's obvious you don't have the background knowledge necessary to grasp their meaning. No offense, go read a book instead of Muscle Mediocre for a change, you'll learn and gain more. And when you realize how wrong you were, don't worry, I won't come and laugh in your face. I may be arrogant but only because I'm right. LOL
------------------
d e e p .

ok deep, add one more thing to the list of things that you are: a hypocrite. did you not criticize me for being arrogant, yet you turn right the fuck around and show it off like you're proud of it? what's up with that?
FYI, i do not use phospagen. i was merely explaining to you WHY EAS markets it differently. i did not even imply that it's a superior product, or that you didn't know what was in it (forgive me, for i have given the impression that the almighty deep didn't know something). you challenged me to see why EAS markets their creatine differently, and i told you, 'skippy'. if you've got all of those fucking credentials and accolades, WTF did you ask me why EAS 'unrealistically differentiates' their product from twinlab's? is it not blatently fucking obvious WHY they say its different??? (keyword being different, not better)? perhaps if you read my post you would have picked up on the point that i wasn't defending EAS. funny that we're having this discussion while i do not own ONE SINGLE FUCKING EAS product!!! now who looks stupid?? (hint: not me)
---------
barndog
"I may be arrogant but only because I'm right." - deep
[This message has been edited by barndog (edited 09 December 1999).]

Scroll on up stupid, and check for yourself. I gave you the opportunity to handle things in a polite manner. Twas you who automatically copped the typical musclehead "I've read a Muscle Magazine in between checking out the latest piece of spandex clad ass so I MUST know everything on the subject" attitude.
Again, if I'm arrogant, it's because I'm sick of your type, and I've damned well earned my stripes and already afforded you the benefit of the doubt [which you have since proven to be a waste given your lack of understanding on the subject]. I'm simply not going to crawl on my hands and knees to urge you to pull your head out of your ass. Sorry this hurts your typical meathead fragile ego but really, go read a fucking book. Not one you color in. All those catabolic mechanisms you sully by even mentioning aren't as vicious as you have allowed yourself to be brainwashed into thinking. As for the question I posed, since it seems as though the only arguments you've had are either with inanimate objects or elementary schoolers, I'll explain. The tactic is called a "rhetorical question" and does not need to be answered because the answer only serves to prove my point [which you did, beautifully - thanks]. It doesn't really matter to me if you grasp the point of using such a tactic because it seems as though the 20 or so other points I made were wasted on you nonetheless.
My god! Typing so much! Doesn't that cut into your recovery time? Better fill an enema kit full of whey protein and plug it in directly through your ass and into your brain!
Hypocrite, asshole, arrogant jerk, yadda yadda yadda. Keep writing the list, I don't really care. I'm not going to apologize for being right nor for having intolerance for bullshit. It may shock your overinflated muscle head ego but you're not my paragon of virtue and people whose piss is worth more than you apparently don't quite agree with the statements you've made. So you'll understand if I still don't give a fuck about you or what you believe.