• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Histamine reaction from IV heroin-but only in one arm?

My9RidesShotgun

Bluelighter
Okay so my husband and I shoot heroin. We've been shooting for awhile and have used up most of the veins in our forearms but can still hit its just a bit of a struggle sometimes. Anyways, he has been having this odd problem. We know about histamine reactions from shooting up dope, what they are/how to identify them, blah blah. So here's the weird part. He usually doesn't ever get a histamine reaction unless he misses. The last 2 times he's shot in his left arm, he's gotten an AWFUL reaction, like mad blotchy, swollen ass hand, everything. BUT he hasn't missed any of the shot. And this only happens in the left arm, never the right. And he's def not hitting an artery or anything, it's actually like his original vein he used, right in the crook. So we know 100% it's not an artery, and he definitely didn't miss the shots either. It would make more sense to me if it happened in both arms, like maybe his body just really built up an aversion to dope, but it's ONLY the one arm!!! Has this happened to anyone else before? Anyone have any thoughts?

It could be what the dope was cut with. One would think it would spread to the rest of the body but it might have just been localized at the injection site. Were the last 2 times from the same batch?

Is it possible you injected into an artery? Every time I've fucked up and done just that, my whole arm/hand breaks out in hives and burns/itches like hell.

Obviously, a partial miss will cause a possibly uncomfortable histamine release.

No it's happened from 2 different batches. And it def wasn't an artery. It's just so odd bc he normally will never get a reaction like that unless he misses, and even if he misses the reaction is nothing compared to what he's been getting these past couple times he's went in that arm. And the 2 tries (well 3 now) were all far apart from each other. Like time wise. And it never happens in his right arm just the left. He's been just leaving the left alone as much as possible so he doesn't blow it up and cause possible damage/illness/injury/etc, but it's just such a weird thing I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this or had any ideas. Plus his right arm is pretty much all used up no more veins, so he's kinda fucked without being able to rotate between both arms. And like I said I'm positive it's not an artery or a miss, which would be the obvious answers. AH so weird!! It drives me nuts that I can't figure it out lol. Anyways thanks for the input guys! If anyone thinks of any possibilities please let me know?

This is happening to me too, started having the problem yesterday. Left arm is ok, but the right is having these extreme reactions that resemble a histamine reaction, but more extreme. Same batch. I even did half of one shot in my left, then the other half in the right, the left arm was fine but the right had the reaction. This is freaking me out! I really need to be able to use my right arm because I have more options there, I only have 2 usable spots right now in my left arm. Anyone know what could be causing this!?

Well I've never shot Heroin but i have shot Morphine and Dilaudid enough times. This is fairly common with Morphine if i shoot a larger dose then usual or do a shot when i haven't done one in awile. It's localized histamine reaction and whenever it happens i always get it in the arm or hand i inject into. Try taking a anti-histamine such as Diphenhydramine or Promethazine about a hour before you take a shot and if that stops it or atleast minimizes it you have your culprit there.

I have seen this happen to loads of people shooting Morphine and it is a fairly common occurrence. Hell my friend got it in the hospital when they had him hooked up to a Morphine drip after he busted his leg in a hiking accident. He broke out in hives all over the arm that the IV was in and the doctor gave him a IM shot of Diphenhydramine and about 20 minutes later he was fine.

I have had plenty of histamine reactions, typically it affects the area around the injection site or a bit above it, when this happens (what this posts about) it affects the entire arm including my hand, also still doesn't explain why this only happens on one arm and not the other, as i mentioned I even tried 1/2 a shot in my left arm where it was fine and the other 1/2 (same needle same everything) in my right arm where this bad reaction happened, the only variable was my arm. If I'm having an allergic reaction it should happen wherever I shoot it, be it my left arm or the right!

If it's occurring on the side you use most frequently it is probably just a sign that those veins are getting irritated from repeated use and as white blood cells are sent to repair the damage to that vein system they're sparking an immune response causing the hives. The best thing to do is give that vein system a break. Even is you're shooting in different places on that arm, if the vein you are using is connected to the same system it will cause the same response. In medicine, it's called a "flare" response, where the injection site on up can swell, become red, itch, cause hives, etc. without there being any extravasation of the substance (fully or partially missed dose).

The other possibility is you pierced through the vein system at some point so you may be having a small amount of extravasation through a weakened point in the vein system causing the histamine reaction.

Either way shoot somewhere else for now and let that area heal.

If it's just a generalized issue with histamine reactions give the antihistamines a try. They can increase sedation so be cautious if you need to be up and alert after dosing or if you're planning to drive.

I've also noticed that when you remove the pin after injecting, the blood that may trickle out , especially if you poked thru the vein, and it still contains some of the dope solution and can cause the reaction too. So I would just give that area a rest. And the antihistamine meds do work a bit.

And yeah it doesn't sound like arterial injection. You would certainly know it like you were saying OP. All the shit would shoot down to his hand , and it would burn like fuck. And the hives would look like white spots.

I have a question for everyone. So my roommate did a shot of black tar Heroin in his arm, and about a minute later, his ASS of all places, got red and got hives, only his ass.. why is this???