• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids heroin vs PST withdrawals

Which produces the worse withdrawal effect: heroin or poppy tea?

• heroin is worse

• poppy tea is worse

Results are only viewable after voting.

prettypoppy

Greenlighter
I'm a poppy tea user, I've been through the withdrawals. This got me thinking:

I've seen it said here and there that poppy pod tea/ poppy seed tea has worse withdrawals than heroin, however I've also heard PST is used to treat heroin withdrawals, but the other way around apparently doesn't work.

To those of you who've tried both- does poppy tea or heroin have worse withdrawals?

To be clear I have no interest in trying heroin, I'm too scared of needles. This is pure curiosity. I hope asking isn't insensitive. Please only vote if you've been physically addicted to both of these drugs.

thank you

Poppy tea for me has a way worse withdrawal. And lasts longer. Coming off heroin (the heroin of yesteryear not today) after about 6-8 days you start feeling better and bouncing back. By two weeks you are much better, eating and sleeping somewhat. With poppy tea it was acute for about 10 days and then 3 weeks of trtying to balance out. By one month you are fine though.

I do know of a situation where heroin did not completely relieve poppy tea withdrawal. That is probably because of all the alkaloids in poppy tea.

Poppy tea withdrawal sucks, but it is good to remember you will feel better in linear time. One month for me. Then at 3 months I went to Costa Rica to party and see shows and had the best time of my life. So I think if you kick, make sure you reward yourself with some vacation or something. That really helps while suffering the acute phase knowing in time you will feel better and have something to look forward too.

Honestly one time I went ot a 5 day detox for poppy tea because I could not kick at that time. (I told them it was was street heroin, too complicated to explain poppy tea) I came out as sick as I went in yet the other people in for heroin were feeling chipper by day 5.

I used poppy seeds a lot due to the extreme difficultly of managing to source actual heroin in my city, whenever I've started using again. It's something where you just 'need to know' someone to get. A friend of mine apparently has no issues copping dope, but I've generally been shit out of luck for any long term use.

I had to go on maintenance therapy for it as I was using 1.5kg of seeds a day and the withdrawal was fucked. I'd get like 5-10 days into it and be dying knowing I was only halfway done.

When I did use heroin, just before I went on maintenance (bought from online) I bought what in the past would have to me been a good starting dose for someone with no tolerance, and it's a testament to how strong PST can be that I barely nodded.

There's a few reasons you cannot use PST to come off other opiates like heroin, although people do do it. For the most part I reckon they get lucky.

1. The duration of the WD is much longer, which renders doing so almost obsolete.

2. PST is impossible to standardise your dose. The inconsistency is a killer. I did batches that did nothing. I did other batches which had me nodding out so hard lying on my bedroom floor barely breathing and not able to move until I made myself crawl to my bedside table and narcan myself. Weird fucking feeling going from nodding to stone cold sober and not super pleasant. As my use increased my tolerance got so high I couldn't even get high. So if you can't make sure you are reducing the dose and amount of opiates in the batches you use each day to taper off (which you can't, it is entirely impossible) then unfortunately it cannot be done.

3. You're just as likely to end up hooked on PST.

The reason that you can't use heroin to get off PST is this.

1. If you shoot dope like I do, then if you *do* manage to get a rush, you absolutely will have difficulties not wanting to chase that rush in the future. That is, if you *are* getting heroin and not shitty fentadope, depending on where you live. Even if you don't shoot, you may very well end up with a heroin habit, which is objectively harder to maintain.

Why?

PST, for all it's downsides, lasts a remarkably long time (which is the bad part about the WD), when I used it I could go 1-2 days between uses if I had to take care of important stuff (like play sport) and not need to put any more opiates in my system as the PST would hold me. Heroin, and fentadope is not like that. Heroin lasts maybe 6-8 hours if it's good, and fentadope 1-2 hours apparently. So you'll go from being able to sort of maintain functioning on PST, at least to the extent you won't be spending all your free time getting money together and waiting for a heroin or fentanyl dealer to rock up 2-4 times a day.

Not worth it, imo.

A lot of people in my city are going on lower dose suboxone (2-4mg max) to deal with coming off PST and basically not staying on it ages, and then doing a slow taper off using 0.4mg subutex to reduce their dose to 0.4mg bupe which = 5mg more or less of Oxycodone. When I asked for suboxone for PST mid 2020 the state AOD clinic had no clue what PST was, then suddenly the next year it exploded. Explains why it was harder to find.

That would honestly be my recommendation to anyone in this situation. 6 months of maintenance therapy, no higher than 4mg to induce, drop to 2mg to stabilise, and I have a low dose taper schedule I can send to people who ask. I've gotten off suboxone 4 times, 3 with basically zero WD using this method. The one time I didn't I was pressed for time so cut the 10-12 weeks taper to 6-8.

To those of you who've tried both- does poppy tea or heroin have worse withdrawals?
Poppy, ie opium WD is fucking horrendous. The longest I ever suffered when getting off H was about 10 days, usually I'd be fine within less than a week. But THIS shit not only had worse symptoms in every respect, but it went on and on. I think it must be to do with the fact you're dealing with the full complex chemical make-up of the plant instead of just one isolated component.
To be clear I have no interest in trying heroin, I'm too scared of needles.
You can smoke it or snort it, y'know 😉

I'm a poppy tea user, I've been through the withdrawals. This got me thinking:

I've seen it said here and there that poppy pod tea/ poppy seed tea has worse withdrawals than heroin, however I've also heard PST is used to treat heroin withdrawals, but the other way around apparently doesn't work.

To be clear I have no interest in trying heroin, I'm too scared of needles. This is pure curiosity. I hope asking isn't insensitive. Please only vote if you've been physically addicted to both of these drugs.

thank you
I have gone through poppy seed withdrawal twice and both were cold turkey. It was pretty bad but the nights are worse. I get the whole body twitch ache restlessness whatever. It was horrible. Whenever I would stretch my body I would do it to a point that it would cramp up. The sleepless nights lasted for a week and the emotional side lasted longer for a month or so and I caved in. As for now I am slowly weaning myself from 5 times a day to 2 times a day.its been alright so far but I am dreading for when I am completely off.

Last edited:
Poppy, ie opium WD is fucking horrendous. The longest I ever suffered when getting off H was about 10 days, usually I'd be fine within less than a week. But THIS shit not only had worse symptoms in every respect, but it went on and on. I think it must be to do with the fact you're dealing with the full complex chemical make-up of the plant instead of just one isolated component.

You can smoke it or snort it, y'know 😉
I don't think you should aderadvice someone to try H

I don't think you should aderadvice someone to try H

All I was saying was that I found withdrawal from opium way worse than that from heroin. Also it's a statistical fact that the vast majority of individuals who ever use heroin do not become addicts, and if anything that needs to be known more widely; so people don't trap themselves the way I did purely from thinking you're somehow pre-destined.

All this 'oh yeah I touched the forbidden fruit ONCE thinking it'd be no big deal but now I'm a slave to it till the day I die' is such a pathetic self-destructive trope and far too many troubled addicts fall victim to it. Yet instead of being dismantled as it should, this shit is actively being PROMOTED in 'recovery' circles. Way to absolutely ensure you'll never be free from your demons while equally ensuring a permanent passive 'someone else has to fix me' mindset. It makes me sick.

Last edited:
All I was saying was that I found withdrawal from opium way worse than that from heroin. Also it's a statistical fact that the vast majority of individuals who ever use heroin do not become addicts, and if anything that needs to be known more widely; so people don't trap themselves the way I did purely from thinking you're somehow pre-destined.

All this 'oh yeah I touched the forbidden fruit ONCE thinking it'd be no big deal but now I'm a slave to it till the day I die' is such a pathetic self-destructive trope and far too many troubled addicts fall victim to it. Yet instead of being dismantled as it should, this shit is actively being PROMOTED in 'recovery' circles. Way to absolutely ensure you'll never be free from your demons while equally ensuring a permanent passive 'someone else has to fix me' mindset. It makes me sick.
I don't know, I have never IV'd a drug nor touched the forbidden fruit so to say. But I would worry that I would like it too much and it would cause more problems then benefits.