• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Heroin overdose and half-life

Maddistone

Greenlighter
Does anyone know why the half life of heroin is, also how long should you wait between each dose to avoid an overdose? Method of use is smoking and I get that all potency is different but one time when I was smoking fentanyl gel, my boyfriend made em wait five minutes between each hit so that she wouldn't overdose... Does that even help or make sense

Last edited by a moderator:
Diacetylmorphine has a half-life of less than ten minutes, but morphine has a half-life of two to three hours.

Waiting five minutes between hits will not do much to prevent overdosing. There is no magic number in minutes you wait before re-dosing and subseqently avoid overdosing. It is going to depend on the dose as well.

Nobody will be able to help you in this respect, as there's so much speculation as well as contributing factors unique to the individual.

The fact that you are smoking the heroin makes it much easier for you to gauge your dose though, and while taking five minute breaks between hits reduces the risk of taking one over the line as effects fully manifest quite quickly, there is nothing here that completely eliminates the risk of that next hit being too much in and of itself.

TL;DR: Smoking in five minute intervals is safer than most other ROAs, but not without its own risks.

Fentanyl is absurdly short in half life..I believe its under 30minutes if not less...I know for anesthesia use they often give 100-200mcg's of fentanyl very frequently and that comes directly from an anesthesiologist or two I know...now something like Hydromorphone or Morphine is much longer acting and I don't really think a 5 minute wait will effect that at all...but Fentanyl might be different...not sure how Fentanyl reacts when smoked I've never smoked an opioid. Just some food for thought. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

If it's a drug you can overdose on, the ROA doesn't matter, you can absolutely still OD.

@Venrak, I have more than 50 posts, why am I still GL?

Edit: Nevermind, it finally went away.

^ It sometimes takes a while for the pixies to do their job ;)

im confused, first you are talking about heroin, then you are talking about fent? which one is it?

a heroin shot lasted me 6-8hrs, by 8hrs after my shot, i would no longer feel any of the morphine and i would practically be at baseline. for fent, just put the patches on your arm dude, smoking the gel and all that bullshit isnt worth the hassle to get high.

smoking a substance is not the best way to ingest it as most of the fent or heroin will evaporate and you will only get 20-40% of the heroin/fent you actaully smoked. very inefficient if you ask me...

^lol.... If it gets you high, you can overdose

I've been very lucky for many years!

If it's a drug you can overdose on, the ROA doesn't matter, you can absolutely still OD.

@Venrak, I have more than 50 posts, why am I still GL?

Edit: Nevermind, it finally went away.

I always nodded off before ever reaching a point anywhere near respiratory depression resulting in death. And I would go months absent using, then purchase a gram and smoke at least half of it over an hour or two (thinking my tolerance was still through the roof) and never died! I really am blessed.

I'd get an amazing nod, though :)

Ah...the memories. Funny how your first love always holds a special place in your heart. I will forever love heroin, and can't wait to for my annual high :)

smoking a substance is not the best way to ingest it as most of the fent or heroin will evaporate and you will only get 20-40% of the heroin/fent you actaully smoked. very inefficient if you ask me...

For my next annual dose, I am strongly considering IVing. But having never done it, I am very concerned about how to go about it. Especially considering I won't have a sitter available. I really really want to try IV though.

A little off topic, but a few days ago I thought my tolerance was so high that I couldnt OD..but then I went to a small town here in texas where the black tar is distrubted threw, and god dang that stuff effed me up. Here in the city we get it cut to hell. I got this from the source..and yah..I now know my tolerance aint nuttin' lol

A little off topic, but a few days ago I thought my tolerance was so high that I couldnt OD..but then I went to a small town here in texas where the black tar is distrubted threw, and god dang that stuff effed me up. Here in the city we get it cut to hell. I got this from the source..and yah..I now know my tolerance aint nuttin' lol
Gotta love the borderlands

im confused, first you are talking about heroin, then you are talking about fent? which one is it?

I'm talking about heroin, I just brought up the fent cause it was something an ex boyfriend told me so I used it as an example...

Thanks for the info though

Hey User! Welcome to BL, in case you hadn't been

We don't really encourage bringing back old threads, especially when you are not adding to the topic. Nonetheless, lad you are posting :)

Won't close this as of now, though if you have a question you can ask, if you want to talk about getting off there is another forum we can direct you too. Opioid addiction gets rough

Abd ftr, the t1/2 of fentanly goes up witg really large doses; also morphine may have a t1/2 of like 1.5-4hrs, yet the effects of morphine and it's (superior) prodrug, diamorphine(H), in proper doses, will last longer than 2-3 hours; also fentanly is really strong, so in both cases, please be careful. And it is a lot easier to OD from injecting, since it's all at once vs smoking. Alright that basically covers it

OP, you're not going to last long in a community of active researchers if you are unable to simply use Google. Literally, search "Heroin Half-Life" and the first search result will tell you precisely what the half-life is. I'm not trying to insult you or bring you down, but it's for your own good that you get some tough love in this situation. You are fully capable of finding answers to these questions and you do not need the assistance of the community to get them. So, the issue here is two-fold; not only does this take up space on our front page that could be dedicated to queries of a slightly more esoteric nature and you are sitting and waiting for an answer that could be life-altering, not realizing that you could have your answer in seconds, not hours or days.

First of all, half-life is not a completely accurate indicator for the duration of action for a given drug. Heroin is a pro-drug that is metabolized in vivo into Morphine. With this in mind, the half-life of Heroin is minutes. What you need to examine is the half-life of the active metabolite i.e. Morphine. The half-life is ~3 hours, but the duration of action is going to vary widely from person to person, but you can generally call it ~4-7 hours. Unfortunately, this information, while vaguely useful, is not something you can take to the bank when you're using street drugs. As you've said, your drugs could be anything. When I was living in Kurdistan, I bought "Brown Sugar" on a daily basis and had no idea whether it was Morphine or Heroin. I just knew it got me high. That's all you know.

With this in mind, even if we knew precisely what your drugs were, which we absolutely do not, we would still be dealing with the perennial wild-card, namely the fact that every person is effected in varying ways by the same drugs. It's innate and the closest we can ever get is a vague guess at how you will be effected.

I'm going to leave this open, but I encourage you to think upon what I have said, because the answers you are looking for do not actually exist in a clear-cut way. You must do what we all have done, that is, we use our research as guidelines, but we can only truly understand how certain drugs will effect us by using them and evaluating our own experience.

Also, your question didn't make a ton of sense, but I tried :)

^ Hypoeddy isn't the OP; this thread was brought back after years, and would have closed it, except I want the poster above you to have a chance; if they don't soon we can close it (Yiu can close it whenever, TGWS really, just would prefer to give a chance, T. Is concerned traffic has been slow)

Though completely agree with you; I am not usually quick to say UTSFE someone, thought come on , anyone doing powerful drugs(and opioids in particular, perhaps) should know basics, like H(diaectlymorphine) simply being a more efficient prodrug to morphine classic, and having a "t1/2" of less than 10 minutes, a bit longer for intermediate metabolite MAM, and morphine T1/2 is 2-3hrs on average, though duration is dose depenndent, ranging from around 3-8hrs(roughly) and at some point, you need to use Google, or our megathreads.

Thank you for not closing just yet :)

Hope everything is OK for now Keif