Heroin/Opiates : The #1 outsider question: Why?

boredom yes, maybe the opposite; an over active mind, glamorization of the drug(s), the thought "ill never get addicted or use needles(that fear diminishes quickly)" start a prescription and the honeymoon begins, or for as many reasons that you can think of/justify etc.

as a few others have said most opioids give me energy, and breed creativity in my mind, as well as a nice nod. but ive always been a chipper, ive been addicted more times then i can remember, but i have always cut it out and tapered before my tolerance got higher then me!

some people dont like it, oh well, its understandable, it can be an overwhelming feeling, overwhelming to the point of death, expensive! a great majority of opioid abusers/addicts are middle class people who dont think of their prescription to lortabs & vicodine as drugs, but they get the sweats, they get the tremors, they get the got and nod off watching the news @ 11, but look at people w/o a prescribing md, or insurance(to say the least) doing the same thing as shit.

opiates have their place in this world, we would be in trouble with out them, there arent many plants that are as productive as p. somnifurum its saddening though that some people, too many people, live their lives with a constant stream of H or what have you running through their body/mind.

I get bored really fucking easy so if im not doing something i like (and there arent many fucking things i like) im bored to fuckin hell. Opiates make me more energetic and productive so i can actually go out and do shit that i don't want to do.

That and my problems don't seem so shitty when im on opiates. Basically they fill up that big fucking void in your life when nothing else will. Atleast for awile.

Self-loathing...not wanting to feel anxiety in public. Not wanting to face the real world sober. Mental weakness I guess:\

"I have a few friends that are so bad on Herion and Dilaudid that they pulled a Dick Cheney, and will actually shoot them selves in their arms, and legs (saying that they were hunting.) "

I have thought of this, as have my friends. Its never a good idea, even as simple as breaking an ar or leg with a baseball bat, you will be in far more pain than they will give you meds for, Vicodens and Norcos won't touch the pain you'll feel from even a broken arm or leg, even with a small tolerence, forget about if your iv'ing heroin or any major opiates like oxy, demerol, diluadin, opana, etc. And god help you if they see track marks.. you might just get prescription strength ibprofentz or tylenol w codeine.. vics if your lucky. Also forget about shooting yourself, you'll never get anything that could be worth the risl, or that would cover the pain and not even mentioning the medical bills.. you could buy a metric fuck-ton of heroin for the cost of medical bills.. eh but what real junkie would auctually pay medical bills.. lol.

""RENTON: People think it's all about misery and desperation and death and all that shite, which is not to be ignored, but what they forget is the pleasure of it. Otherwise we wouldn't do it. After all, we're not fucking stupid. At least, we're not that fucking stupid. Take the best orgasm you ever had, multiply it by a thousand and you're still nowhere near it. When you're on junk you have only one worry: scoring. When you're off it you are suddenly obliged to worry about all sorts of other shite. Got no money: can't get pished. Got money: drinking too much. Can't get a bird: no chance of a ride. Got a bird: too much hassle. You have to worry about bills, about food, about some football team that never fucking wins, about human relationships and all the things that really don't matter when you've got a sincere and truthful junk habit."

YES This is what I'm talking about, I wonder if the author had a habit.. if not the fucker really, really did his research.. All the not havinfg to worry about anything else cause heroin is an all consuming drug, a lifestyle if you will, once your fully addicted.

"It's a best friend,lover,master,mistress,your worst enemy,a lying cheating scam artist.It's a lifestyle.It's a love.It's a relationship all its own.

And you will NEVER understand it unless you live it.Period.I never understood it until I became a junkie."

Yep, I remember saying to my bf who was fully addicted and slamming at a point when I was just snorting several times a month, "Oh I'm just going to do it once in awhile, I don't need to shoot it or do it all the time" and he said dude, you don't get it, you either do it or you don't, its being a junkie, its a lifestyle.. I didn't listen..

It is some all-comsuming thins, truely consuming. When I first started trying to quit, I went to NA and tried to hookup with some of the girls, thinking a gf would help me get clean and give me something to stay clean for, well they all turned me down, and being a week or so clean I was feeling all these emotions, rejection, raw and un-numbed down from the heroin, not to mention all the while I was using heroin I was so all-consumed by it, doing it, copping, getting money, even the feeling sick, that I never went after girls, or if I did i didn't notice or care being rejected cause I was soo fully consumed with the heroin. I went 3 years without a gf without even giving it a 2nd thought.. whereas b4 I would be aching and wanting to be with someone sooo bad.. It wasn't like I thought to myself, I'm gonna starting shooting heroin cause I'm hurting so bad, but when I went to quit I had all these emotions coming at me full force after being numb for so long it was too much and I had to start using again to jst make it through another day..

"As for why people get addicted, I think that's something personal and unique to the user. Some become addicted because heroin helps cover up something in their life, some become addicted to the life style, while others become addicted to the actual effects. "

Yeah I feel this one too, I started for all 3 of these reasons..

I'm gonna say it's mostly curiosity, but with a large helping of boredom/a current lack of responsibilities (any recent college grads job hunting these days?)

As has been mentioned before, most people start of chipping, because it feels good. Slowly, you begin to use more often, then every day, then multiple times a day, and then the dose continues to increase over time as you chase that high you got the first time you tried it.

Heres the thing though: if you have enough money and a constant supply, and are smart enough to keep you dose in the "sweet spot", then there really isn't much of a downside. Thousands of people are "functional junkies", people that are addicts but whose addiction has little to no effect on their everyday life. While the stereotype of a heroin addict is a malnourished, homeless, anorectic (who sucks dick on the side for drugs) - that is just not the reality.

that warm embrace, there for you always. there for you when nobody else is. asks no questions, never turns you away.
for me I know what im in for when I use...im wrapped in my bubble till it wears off.
life clean is raw, no bubble...filled with change and challenges.
not saying that using doesn't have its challenges, for me its easier to use in a way...
I miss it sometimes...almost 2 yrs for me now.

that warm embrace, there for you always. there for you when nobody else is. asks no questions, never turns you away.
for me I know what im in for when I use...im wrapped in my bubble till it wears off.
not saying that using doesn't have its challenges, for me its easier to use in a way...

to quote some trainspotting: only trouble while on the junk :scoring. when you're off you have to worry about all other sorts of shite!

Until someone actually feels that feeling they can never understand why people love it so much. I also agree that you can just want it because of how great it it and not because of some deep seated problem that you have.

I don't forget the pleasure aspect of opiates, especially those reports by heroin users.
Heroin users, are not fucking stupid, as renton says.
I can sympathise with the motivation to try the forbidden fruit.
Renton, also says, that when your not on the gear 'all sorts of other shite', such as real life.
Heroin is the backdoor which the wanna be dead go through, temporarily, because it takes them away from their lives.
I enjoy kratom, and other opiates, but I want to enjoy my life, as it is, as well. I don't want to feel like I need a back door to walk out of, to escape my own life.

I AM a recovering heroin addict...so I know about the pleasure of it.That is what that whole quote is about.That the "public perception of heroin use" is that it's all about "misery,desperation and death" which yes,is true but that the high is so good that it's easy to brush those things off.And even in sobriety there are other bullshit things to worry about.

Basically,when your a heroin addict it is YOUR WHOLE LIFE.Junk isn't a "quick little weekend of fun" kind of drug.It's a LIFESTYLE.It's so much more than the average even semi-experienced drug user thinks.I used many different drugs for years,but it wasn't until I became a heroin addict that I understood why it's so different than any other addiction...

It's a love affair.It's the cruelest but most pleasurable mistress.

It's just one of those things that you REALLY need to have experienced to understand completely.

^^+1
"there for you when nobody else is" -my exact thought when i read the OP.
i miss it too. a lot sometimes... been over 15 years, maybe more, i don't wanna think about it cuz it just makes me sad.

People are chasing that feeling, and during that chasing we become addicts.

And, nobody truly knows what addiction's like until you experience it. So we go into these things knowing that bad shit is probably coming, but that's all.

This couldn't be more true.

quoting trainspotting "who needs reasons when you got heroin." it's just that good. And sometimes it's used as an escape.