• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Hepatitis C

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any form of hep, at least not yet. I was just tested today. I used a dirty needle. Its a long story. I feel for you man. Don't take the statistics seriously on 50% of IV users have it. I've heard that 60% 70% and even 80% of IV drug users have it. I highly doubt the numbers are that high. I'm sure someone on here can relate what your going through though.

I don't exactly know how to advise on when you should begin treatment, I'm not a doctor.

I did know someone who IV'd heroin for over 7 years, and during that time acquired hepatitis C. She began treatment and she was very sick from it. Her prognosis isn't very good, seeing as she's an alcoholic and tobacco smoker.

I'm pretty sure she started the day she found out, but I don't know.

I can't tell you how I think you should approach treatment. Get doctors that care for you and your success in treatment though, if people treat you like a junkie that's fucked up.

Wouldn't this be more suited in Healthy Living or The Dark Side?

Are you still using drugs? What methods of use? Do you drink alcohol?

Assuming the answers to the above questions are no: Please go ahead and begin treatment now. While your viral load is classified as medium on the website posted above, you are also 23 years old! You will (hopefully) need your liver and other organs for the next 50 years at least, so why not get treatment to slow down the progression now while you can?

Worst case scenario, if treatment symptoms are bad you can always discontinue. I'm sorry that you feel that your doctors are treating you badly. If this continues, perhaps you should seek another doctor.

I'm going to move this to Healthy Living.

It's a load of shit that your doctors are treating you like a second class patient because they think you're a junkie... is there any chance you could try and find more sympathetic doctors?

Here is an interesting article that found that of 372 samples collected from injecting drug users in 1987 from Sacramento, California, 95% tested positive for the Hep C antibody. Numbers of injecting drug users are probably lower now given that there is more information around and better access to fresh needles, but then again from what I've heard it's a lot harder to get clean needles in the USA then it is here in Oz.

OD===>HL

I don't have any form of hep, at least not yet. I was just tested today. I used a dirty needle. Its a long story. I feel for you man. Don't take the statistics seriously on 50% of IV users have it. I've heard that 60% 70% and even 80% of IV drug users have it. I highly doubt the numbers are that high. I'm sure someone on here can relate what your going through though.

u serious? 70 percent? i dont believe that man, if so thats scary as shit

I shared needles with a hepper about 15 years ago. I assume that I was lucky and didn't get it. I've had no symptoms in all this time. But i'VE read that it can lie dormant. For the health of my liver, I drink coffee (supposed to strengthen the liver) and do liver Chi Kung forms.

I know someone currently undergoing Interferon, and he's doing OK. He takes 3-4 days off work after treatment, but then he's back to work just fine, and he does physically tiring (farm) work too. Don't be too put off by the horror stories, do your research and decide if it's for you. Better to get it over and done with now while you're young & strong, you don't know what responsibilities you may have in a few years time which would make treatment even more disruptive and inconvenient. Good luck, you'll be fine, try and stay optimistic.

I shared needles with a hepper about 15 years ago. I assume that I was lucky and didn't get it. I've had no symptoms in all this time. But i'VE read that it can lie dormant. For the health of my liver, I drink coffee (supposed to strengthen the liver) and do liver Chi Kung forms.

Irony, joking, ignorance, the internet combines all forms. Can you invest emotion or thought in a reply to it? certainly, but why.

Why, a poignant question in real life, one that can snuff out the flame of beauty or the spark of interest, acts differently on the internet. Liberated from feedback the images on the screen exist as the real version of whatever was true in simulacra and simulation, the society of the spectacle, and other more obscure works I stand even less a chance of understanding.

i got the hep im 26 had it since i was 19. i ache, im not supposed to drink. i dont do the interferon and it hasnt been recommended. that said its a shitty way to die if you lett it go so just try to take care of yourself. also: prayer works. seriously. try it.

I got tested recently in September in rehab but i've used since then (always clean needles.) But I still want to get re-tested, now that i'm getting clean I want that peace of mind.

It's great to live in a state that sells syringes over the counter. It really is a great harm reduction measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.