• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Hep C life expectancy?

024liakam

Bluelighter
I might have Hep C, I havent gotten blood tests or anything, im just assuming I do. I shared a spoon with someone who has it. Im 19, and this happened within 4-5 months ago, cant exactly remember.

Any information will help, ive known I couldve possibly had it all this time but it hit me hard today. Todays been rough for me today for this reason. Thanks guys.

Get tested for Hep C. It's extremely easy to do, it's just a simple blood test. I don't have Hep C but I have been tested for it multiple times.

With the medications and treatments there are today you can live a full life with Hepatitis C. I'm moving this to healthy living for you. I hope you do not have Hep C. Just get tested for it.

I found this article/study for you.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/834836

Survival in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection and advanced fibrosis or cirrhosis who achieved sustained virological response (SVR) is similar to that of the general population, according to a retrospective study published in the November 12 issue of JAMA.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1930807

Get tested for Hep C. It's extremely easy to do, it's just a simple blood test. I don't have Hep C but I have been tested for it multiple times.

With the medications and treatments there are today you can live a full life with Hepatitis C. I'm moving this to healthy living for you. I hope you do not have Hep C. Just get tested for it.

I found this article/study for you.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/834836

Survival in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection and advanced fibrosis or cirrhosis who achieved sustained virological response (SVR) is similar to that of the general population, according to a retrospective study published in the November 12 issue of JAMA.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1930807
Thanks man.

You're probably fine! Go get a test. The newer drugs out now can pretty effectively manage or clear it, and even in those who do contract it, 20% kill it off naturally within 6 months.

I might have Hep C, I havent gotten blood tests or anything, im just assuming I do. I shared a spoon with someone who has it. Im 19, and this happened within 4-5 months ago, cant exactly remember.

Any information will help, ive known I couldve possibly had it all this time but it hit me hard today. Todays been rough for me today for this reason. Thanks guys.

I had a gf who had it. She's had it for over 40 years and is healthy as a horse. Don't drink or abuse your liver. Eat well and you shouldn't need any treatment.

This must be praying on your mind badly. No wonder you're feeling rough. Like other's have said get tested and get some peace of mind or a way to deal with the outcome if the worst comes up.

Until then I can't imagine you're going to feel at ease with anything going on.

Best wishes to you, let us know how the tests turn out x

Thanks for the support guys, im not feeling near as upset and depressed about it, one reason it hit me so hard is I was also dealing with xanax and klonopin withdrawal. Reading that its not a death sentence and isnt as near as bad as I had thought, made me feel much better.
If I am positive, atleast its not HIV

Last edited:
Sorry I only just properly read your first post. You said you shared a spoon. You do realise HCV is transmitted via blood right? You can't get HCV from sharing eating utensils, kissing, food, water - unless blood is literally oozing from the infected person's mouth and you have open wounds. But particularly not from sharing a spoon.

If it helps, take a read through the CDC's FAQ on Hep C:

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hcv/cfaq.htm

Sorry I only just properly read your first post. You said you shared a spoon. You do realise HCV is transmitted via blood right? You can't get HCV from sharing eating utensils, kissing, food, water - unless blood is literally oozing from the infected person's mouth. But particularly not from sharing a spoon.
Heroin spoon brotha

Before modern treatments, life expectancy was 10± years. Now with treatment you can live indefinitely with it.

There's a lot of lifestyle management that can come into play in order to ease the liver burden, like avoiding fast food and junk food, synthetic food ingredients, drugs and alcohol, stress, etc. Basically, live a healthy life and get your liver enzymes tested regularly and you'll do ok.

There's interferon available that can stop viral replication and has a decent cure rate, if you contracted the virus within the past 12 months. Under 6 months is more ideal. Beyond 12 months can be iffy. I'm talking in terms of a full cure. Once the virus becomes more entrenched, then it becomes a matter of managing viral loads.

10% of people spontaneously clear the virus. I was one of those people, when I was 21. Diagnosed as positive on the PCR test, and months later when I got approval for treatment with interferon, I no longer had it. I ended up in a research study. I have hep C antibodies now but no virus... which means I'm weakly immune to it.

Do blood tests cost money? If so ill probably just put it off, i dont want my mom or dad freaking out or being upset about it. Its been awhile since and havent had flu like symptoms or any slight sign of it. Idc that much anymore I'll probably die from something else way before it even causes any damage, probably from my diabetes fr.

Last edited:
New hep C treatments don't include interferon (which was the component that caused the shitty side effects) and cure up to 95% of people. Hep C isn't a lifelong chronic illness anymore - it's an easily curable infection.

You don't say where you are, so we can't tell you if the test will cost money. Most people don't have symptoms when they contract hep C, though, so if you think you might have been exposed you should probably get tested.

^ Thanks for the updated info. I was obviously going by old info so disregard my post, and please forgive my ignorance :)