• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Help with withdrawing.

Eneishi

Greenlighter
I have been anonymously reading Blue light for a long time and decided to make an account so I cold get some help, but also post my experiences.

I was hoping I could get some help from you guys because I always read people talking taking opiates (pills specifically) and they talk about withdraws like they're nothing.

I would like to mention that I am prescribed Morphine 30s and oxy 5s for severe back pain fro. Herniated disks. The VA has been cutting narcotics down like crazy and have dropped my dosage twice already after two years of taking 60mg morphine and 135mg oxys a day. I'm down to 60mg morph and 20mg oxys a day. However, this is just simply not enough to cover the massive amount of pain I'm in. So, I take more than prescribed, not to get high, as it's very hard for me to feel any opiate buzz anymore, but to cover my pain. That being said, I run out several days early of my refill date. Sometimes up to 12 days.

My question is, how do you guys deal with the severe withdraw symptoms? It is literally the worst thing I have ever been through, and it happens to me every single month. I do want to mention that last month wasn't nearly as bad as it has been, and I know a lot of it is a mental thing. I'm mentally telling myself that it's going to be bad, so it is. However, the pain is overwhelming most of the time anyways, even if I don't have actual withdraw side effects.

Please help!

I did forget to mention that i do take anti diareah stuff to help with the bad guts. I know opiates will block your normal flow, which it always does for me. Other than that, i havent really heard of any other good way besides thinking before the withdraw occures that im not going to withdraw and everything im going to feel is in my head. So other than the diareah, i wont have a withdraw. That sometimes works for me, but i was hoping to hear how you guys typically deal with your opuate withdraw symptoms.

Eneishi: I think how we approach this problem is with both long-term and short-term goals in mind. The long-term goal should be finding someone or something that can actually control your pain and give you quality of life. Funny enough, we're supposedly guaranteed this right as patients of modern Western Medicine, go figure? In a slightly different vein, the short-term goals should be controlling your withdrawal symptoms to a certain extent that you're not contemplating suicide over your morning coffee, while also not exacerbating your situation in any way.

We'll dig into this at a more in-depth later once I'm back in front of my screen. But, are you currently taking Loperamide for your gastric issues? It's a subject that we'll need to broach, as Loperamide is itself an Opioid that seems to have the potential to cause a disproportionate level of tolerance than other Opioids. It can be very handy in a pinch for controlling symptoms of withdrawal, but if taken too far, you have to worry about the increased tolerance as well as potentially deadly cardiac effects.

Try to get a hold of a Gabapentinoid if you can. This is a group of drugs which include the prescription medications Gabapetin (Neurontin) and Pregabalin (Lyrica) as well as the OTC supplement Phenibut. They, for one reason or another, have a tremendous ability to mediate withdrawal symptoms. You could potentially save these drugs for your periods of abstinence at the end of the month and use them to get through, with your eyes on the prize of hopefully getting your pain adequately treated.