• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Help with suboxone taper/withdrawal

Notaclue

Greenlighter
I’ve known of this site and others like drugs.com for awhile. It’s always my go to for questions and help. I’m in need of help now. For about 10 months i was using hydrocodone and oxycodone and roxi. I got a family. I have 2 young kids. I’m a mom and yes i have a husband who supplied it all to me. We never got along. In fact we weren’t together for awhile last year and i was completely sober but as soon as we got back together i felt like he hoaxed me back with pills. I’m so angry with just myself for letting me get this bad. I wanted to stop and heard good things about suboxone so i went to a doc in September, i stayed on for maybe 2 months until i had enough of sun and read how awful it can come off from. Worse than pills but i don’t really know. I went back to roxi thanks to my husband who just gracefully blesses me with them (smh). Anyways i got up to 150mg and couldn’t get more. My last day with any oxy or hydro was DEC 24. DEC 25 i started back on suboxone (zubsolv to be exact) and took it until yesterday (DEC 29) i took 6mg the first day, 4mg the second day and .5 the third day. And another .5mg the fourth day. Then the 29th i took maybe .5mg in am and had to take more at night maybe another .5mg so probably 1mg yesterday. Well today i don’t want any. I don’t want to be on the sub train. I’m done but this is incredibly hard. No one knows except my husband and he don’t help me with sheet. I am the main caregiver to our children and house. He’s not even home all day and night tonight and i need help! I feel awful today. Depressed, chills, no appetite, diarrhea (sorry). I’m so tempted to go back on zubsolv. I just never liked the feeling on it. I felt like a zombie my doctor wants to keep me on it which is insane to me. He’s so terribly sketchy. I just need advice. I am going to make it this day just not sure how much longer i can go. Any words of advice and just someone to help me through this would be so much appreciated since i don’t have anyone to talk to...

I obviously forgot to mention this is my first ever post. I’m not sure what i am doing but hope this is right... btw I’m 29

Hi, welcome to Bluelight. I'll move your thread over to another forum where hopefully you will get some more answers.

Suboxone does seem to have a reputation for drawn-out withdrawal, but since you've tapered down quite rapidly, although it may be quite unpleasant initially, the symptoms will hopefully not be as long-lived as they would had you have been on the suboxone for a more considerable length of time.

If you do decide to continue on the suboxone, which is completely understandable, try to keep the dose as light as possible as this will help for an easier transition when you are ready to jump off.

Best of luck in the new year.

Everything you are feeling is normal: the chills, no appetite, the diarrhea and the depression. Feeling completely hopeless, very lethargic/unmotivated and achy would also be completely normal, but you didn't necessarily mention feeling those ways but it's likely that you do.

The good news is that you won't feel this way forever. You've already made it pretty far by tapering as fast as you did. A quick taper, like what you did with the Suboxone, can actually help your body ease into the withdrawals better than had you quit the oxycodone/hydrocodone cold turkey. The fact that you were using the oxycodone then switched back to Suboxone for only a couple of days before quitting means that you won't suffer the very long and protracted withdrawals that happen when you quit a long term Suboxone habit either.

The bad news is since today is your first day without any Suboxone then likely things are going to get worse for a few more days before they start to get better.

It's not going to be easy, especially with the kids but you can make it through if you're determined. Is there anyone you can call to give you assistance with the kids for a few days, at least until the worst is over?

Your doctor wants to keep you on the Suboxone because he wants to be able to keep making money off you. Unfortunately this is how some doctors are. It's also possible he truly thinks you need to be on Suboxone long term... For some people this is true but based on what you've said I don't think you qualify. Long term Suboxone treatment is more for very heavy long term users (like long term IV heroin users).

If you find you cannot bare to make it through the withdrawals then there are a few options open to you. You could try to taper further with Suboxone, but you would want to only use it a few more day otherwise you'll just make the withdrawals worse in the end... Like you could take .5mg again, then drop to .25mg for a day or two or whatever. You can also research Kratom which may be legal where you live and can fully substitute your Suboxone or oxy or hydro habit, but if you do decide to go with Kratom you must realise it's addictive as well and has it's own withdrawals. If your truly ready to quit now, which it sounds like you are, then I don't suggest Kratom unless you plan to use it to taper further.

There are lots of things you can do and take to help you with how you're feeling while you go through withdrawals. Do some research on comfort meds here on bluelight, there is plenty of info but I'll mention what I know of the top of my head:

Over the counter comfort meds:
Regular doses of Loperamide can help tremendously with the diarrhea since it basically acts the same way in your gut as the painkillers did. You can take NSAIDs like Ibuprofen or Naproxen to help with any aches and pains. Taking hot baths/showers can also help you feel better temporarily.

Prescription Drugs that may help:
You may have some of these already or know somebody who has extra, or you may be able to get them from your doctor:
Gabapentin and Pregabalin are said to help mask opioid withdrawals very well. Benzodiazapines (like Valium/diazepam) can help you sleep and can help with anxiety, but be aware they are addictive and should be used sparingly. Zolpidem or Zoplicone can also help you get to sleep but should also be used sparingly for the same reason. Clonidine can help with blood pressure related issues that arise from withdrawals like the chills

Some people find smoking marijuana or eating edibles helps too. Marijuana could help with your lack of appetite, could help you sleep better and could help with anxiety. But marijuana is not for everyone.

Last edited:
Sorry, sometimes I talk too much.

I just wanted to say that you can do this :) and we are here for you. Many of us have gone through, or are going through, something similar to what you're dealing with. You're not definitely not alone.

You can also check out some of the other subforum here like Sober Living, Mental Health and The Dark Side. There are a lot of really good, intelligent and compassionate people here that can give you all sorts of advice and support.

Please don’t apologize for talking too much! I need that right now! I do have Valium kpin and ambien. I started the Valium yesterday and also been talking a lot of amino acids like l-tysosine (spelling?) and glycine and vitamins which one vitamin contains GABA. I did wake up at 4 bc i was so heated bc my husband was still not home and I’m so sick as well as my kids have colds but surprisingly i was able to go to sleep. I can sleep well thank god! But i do awfully sweat when i sleep especially when i take suboxone. I totally think i am not a candidate for suboxone i never touched heroin i never ivd and i don’t snort. I never even took pills to “nod out” it was simply for energy and being super mom but obviously I’m stupid mom. Anyways i haven’t gotten out of bed yet but I’m so happy i got a response so thank you! I’m sure i will update later today. Right now I’m ok but we will see.

Oh btw i did order Kratom and believe it’s getting delivered today but I’m so nervous to use it. I heard great things and then i read about seizures so I’m at a loss :/

Also any thoughts on 5-htp? I have that too but heard too many mixed reviews so nervous to take that...thanks so much everyone

I don't think you have much to worry about with Kratom and seizures, it isnt something that's normally reported to happen... Unless you are already predisposed to seizures? If you've never had a seizure before you shouldn't have anything to worry about with Kratom.

Mostly with Kratom you got to worry about continuing your addiction. Kratom will make you feel good, like pain pills, and it will also make you feel energized like drinking coffee (Especially if you drink coffee at the same time - they syngerize well). Kratom is great stuff... It'll definitely help you with being a super mom. But just like oxy/hydro you will have to endure withdrawals when you quit Kratom too.

Sorry Im not so familiar with 5-htp.

Thanks. I did have 1 seizure before about 5 years ago due to tramadol :/ and i don’t want any withdrawals to go thru again. Do you think if i use Kratom lightly maybe 2 or 3 times during my withdrawal it will help or prolong? Luckily i have another 5 days before i have to return to work so i am praying i will be okay to deal

Thanks. I did have 1 seizure before about 5 years ago due to tramadol :/ and i don’t want any withdrawals to go thru again. Do you think if i use Kratom lightly maybe 2 or 3 times during my withdrawal it will help or prolong? Luckily i have another 5 days before i have to return to work so i am praying i will be okay to deal

As a person who has used both kratom and Suboxone, I think the seizure danger of kratom is pretty low, lower than Tramadol, for sure. If you use a low dose after your withdrawals start and just use enough to put the worst of the symptoms at bay, you should be pretty safe. If possible, try not to use it every day. Even if you do get a small habit, because it's a short-acting drug the withdrawals will be much shorter than with Sub. The long w/d from Sub did me in! I wound up staying on it instead of getting off. My situation is much different than yours, though. I'm in my mid-60's and have been on one opiate or another most of my life, beginning with 20 years or so on heroin. In your case, getting clean is likely your goal. In mine, remaining comfortable, as I have many serious chronic health problems, is the goal, and staying on Sub is acceptable. Someone relatively young, with a family to care for and who hasn't been on opiates very long, should be able to get off without too much trouble. Remember, when you're sick, that it isn't going to last forever, and eventually you will feel amazing clean and sober!

Thank you to all who responded! I didn’t think i was going to get any but it really helps. It gives me something to look forward to and let alone someone to talk to. Really thanks. I’m On day 2 and still not going to take any wicked suboxone chills are quite bad but i managed to get in the shower and take my daughter to the store. Idk how i did that but I’m surprised! And happy! I’m wondering if this is going to get worse though...that’s what I’m afraid of. Anyways about Kratom again, how do you take it anyways and how much? I am a small girl, I’m about 115lb soaking wet and 5’4 and again 29. Thank you all again!

By the way loplover, i love how you love animals! I am pro animal all the way and rescue cats! Does anybody know any relief for damn chills? I hate it. I’m cold yet sweating!!

Get yourself Imodium for the belly issues. Can you get your hands on Clonidine? It will help with the cold sweats. I'm on a sub taper too. Yet, I haven't jumped off like you have. That comes tmrw. You got this! We got this! I'm also a 29 year old mom. I'm coming off a medium heroin habit though. We are doing the right thing, girl! You should be so proud of yourself! You are probably going through the worst of it now, I would expect to be feeling better and better everyday, and even if not, who cares? It will be over and you will be better for it. I wish you the best of luck! I have a Taper Journal thread open in Sober Living, today is day 4 on sub for me, no opiates. I'll keep checking in on you!

@pghlady6972 wow we are just alike! We can do this together! I’m so new to this site so not too sure how to use it but how can i find your thread? I do have immodium, i took it yesterday. The first time i took it it was ok and then the 2nd time i threw up :/ i gotta bad gah reflex but lemme tell u no roxi ever triggered my gag reflex ? how long do you plan to stay on sub? I hated the way i felt on it that’s why i went back to pills for awhile to hopefully get sub out my system and then take sub for a couple days at small amounts and be done. I’m doing ok today. I really surprised myself going out to a store. I really thought my anxiety would cave in but i did it and i think the Valium probably is helping! But like us this is hard, we don’t get sick days with kids. They don’t understand we are sick and literally mentally drained. But we can do this. This too shall pass right? My grandmother always always told me that. Tonight’s her 1 yr anniversary since she left this world so I’m a bit bummed by that too

I'm brand new to this site too girl. I only plan on staying on the sub max 5 or 6 days. And you're absolutely right, us mom's don't and can't take sick days...it doesn't work like that! Lol. I'm so sorry to hear about your gram, my gram is literally my best friend so I couldn't even imagine. We can stick together through this! You are steps ahead of me though! I am in awe of your drive to push through! Thanks for giving me hope! Happy New Year! We got this!

Ok I’m On day 3 today wow can’t even believe i made it this far. It’s not a walk in the park but i do believe it is easier to withdraw this time by going back to pills and then a small use of sub. My life is so physically demanding and as hard as that is to deal with when withdrawing i guess maybe it’s also a godsend. It makes me push harder. I have to everything for my kids. I can’t waste the day on the couch (i can’t stand doing that either). Going to the store yesterday was a huge jump for me too i was so scared to get overwhelmed with anxiety but i did it and i did it well. This morning hasn’t been too bad. Drinking coffee at the moment. Dosed my Valium (today or tomorrow will be my last day of it thanks to the Thomas recipe*) also had 1,500mg l-tysoine (spelling?) and vit b and c. So hopefully i can start getting my house together in about an hour when things kick in. And don’t worry I’m not a benzo user. I’ve literally had these valiums for over 5 years...i never ever take them. I am considering calling my fraud sub dr for clonodine tho but being New Year’s Day bet he ain’t there! So idk we will see. Does anyone know how long someone would need to use clonodine anyways? I’m On day 3 so not sure if it’s worth even asking for at this point. Thanks to all and happy new year.

I used clonidine for the sweats, restless leg, and sleep for 3+weeks. Right after the acute stage i used it 2-3 a day(i wasn't working though, it does make you groggy) Then a few days after that, just used it at night along with melatonin for sleep. I haven't used anything the past 3-4 days, and im on day 30 today. L tyrosine 1000mg 3x a day, green superfood drink mix, vit b6, b12, d3, and fish oil were others im taking daily. The tyrosine and drink mix really helped with energy. Good luck, you got this.