• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Help with Stuffed-Up Nose Caused by Anti-Psychotics?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Anyone?
I'm on Quetiapine and Chlorpromazine (low doses) and it's 5:30am and I'm STILL awake because I can barely breathe through my nose. One nostril is COMPLETELY blocked.

IME if I stick to a low dose, that helps. Like 50 mg or less. Only other thing is take it just before going to sleep.

I mean, it is not certain that the antipsychotics are causing the blocked nose, but on the other hand it is entirely plausible that the blockage of adrenergic receptors is having a congestant effect.

Did you increase your dose recently? Maybe the congestion will subside after a while once your body gets used to the new dose.

But maybe there is another reason... I recently had a similar issue with nasal congestion, and eventually realized it may be related to house dust mites, and decided to change my bed linens more often (and wash them at a higher temperature), which seems to have worked.

For the time being, you could try a nasal spray or a decongestant like sudafed (unless the antipsychotics outcompete these drugs at the adrenergic receptors), but of course the issue with those is that once you build a tolerance, discontinuation results in rebound nasal congestion.

IME if I stick to a low dose, that helps. Like 50 mg or less. Only other thing is take it just before going to sleep.

I pretty much do the same. I WAS on 600mg Quetiapine and shortly after diagnosed as an insulin-dependent diabetic (my blood sugars were so high the device couldn't read them). I knew it wasn't diabetes (nobody in my family has ever had it, my blood sugars have never been abnormal and I'm thin and eat healthily) so one day I stopped both the Quetiapine and the insulin...sure enough I immediately felt better and 2 months later my doctor said my blood sugars were normal again so I'm used to the horrible side-effects of APs. He made me go back on it at 300mg/day though. I requested the 25mg pills and now I just take it for sleep or when I need it. I usually take 50mg right before bed like you suggested, plus if I'm having a depressed or stressful day I'll take like 25mg a few times throughout the day.
The Chlorpromazine I take 50 or 100mg at a time for anxiety or to potentiate opioids.

I mean, it is not certain that the antipsychotics are causing the blocked nose, but on the other hand it is entirely plausible that the blockage of adrenergic receptors is having a congestant effect.

Did you increase your dose recently? Maybe the congestion will subside after a while once your body gets used to the new dose.

But maybe there is another reason... I recently had a similar issue with nasal congestion, and eventually realized it may be related to house dust mites, and decided to change my bed linens more often (and wash them at a higher temperature), which seems to have worked.

For the time being, you could try a nasal spray or a decongestant like sudafed (unless the antipsychotics outcompete these drugs at the adrenergic receptors), but of course the issue with those is that once you build a tolerance, discontinuation results in rebound nasal congestion.

It's DEFINITELY the anti-psychotics. It literally never ever happens to me unless I take them an like CfZrx said it always happens if I take more then 50mg or so.
I increased my dose the day before yesterday (the night before I had all the issues) because I was on day 3 of opioid withdrawal and Chlorpromazine actually works really well for that.

I'm actually allergic to dust and dustmites but my bedding is always clean and I take Diphyenhydramine for it (Plus I'm on Cyclizine for it to potentiate opiates (uh...I mean for nausea).

I found going for a walk in the cold (at night) helped as did smoking a cigarette and exhaling through my nose.

I found going for a walk in the cold (at night) helped
YES! I forgot to mention, the only thing that helped when this was more of an issue at 100mg/night, was to open the window then fall asleep. The cold, fresh air must do something good for us.

I was given Quetiapine once. I had the same problem, stuffy nose. I only gave 3 days before I went back to my pdoc and asked for something else. It was also incredibly sedating which I hated. Now take Aripiprazole 30mg to great success.