• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Help with possible cortizol issue and body temperature in withdrawal

timetohunt

Bluelighter
17 days from my last oxy pills. And before that I went about ten days scattering about 10 mg of bupe around.
The habit goes back 8 or 9 years, the last year binging on oxy and sustaining on 20-40 mg of methadone when there's no oxy. Also there were a few seasons of super high oxymorphone use. So I realize this won't be a picnic.

Most of the bowel and intense symptoms are almost gone. My biggest problem I think may have to do with a cortisol issue. I wake up from the typically interrupted sleep (3-6 hours), and I'm reasonably calm and not sweating. As soon as I start dealing with being awake my anxiety ramps up and I become a disgusting sweaty goopy creature. Makes every move feel disgusting. My body temp rises and falls. By noon I'm exhausted from the ordeal. Nothing is getting done. And that in turn ups the anxiety.

I believe this to be a cortisol issue as I'm going into flight-fight mode. Is there any medicine I can get to calm this down?

Benzos can help me with sleep but not this issue. I have some access to benzos but I've never valued them much. Looking for something that may operate on the hormones?

In case you may wonder, not planning on going back. I won't buy heroin (it sucks here compared to pharm) and the PM patient hassle is getting harder and harder. Feds are going nuts here as I live in the epicenter of the pain killer scourge.

Last edited:
Interesting.. first off I'm sorry to hear about this rough time you're going through..!

To me, seems like 17 days off oxy's would have you well , well finished with detox and withdrawl.. suboxone or methadone would probably last through 17 days no problem, but oxy's?

I would say go see a doctor, get your blood pressure checked, if its been 17 days (and it really has?), there would be no drugs in your system for if you ever got tested for any reason.. I would say just describe your symptoms to a T without mentioning the opiates/withdrawl.. if its corizol or who knows, you could have a blood pressure condition, a heart condition, or who knows going on..

Bear in mind, however, that if they get *Very* concerned and want to do expensive tests, its at that point that you probably want to mention the drug use, or be prepared to spend a bunch of money on ambiguous testing...

Interesting.. first off I'm sorry to hear about this rough time you're going through..!

To me, seems like 17 days off oxy's would have you well , well finished with detox and withdrawl.. suboxone or methadone would probably last through 17 days no problem, but oxy's?

I would say go see a doctor, get your blood pressure checked, if its been 17 days (and it really has?), there would be no drugs in your system for if you ever got tested for any reason.. I would say just describe your symptoms to a T without mentioning the opiates/withdrawl.. if its corizol or who knows, you could have a blood pressure condition, a heart condition, or who knows going on..

Bear in mind, however, that if they get *Very* concerned and want to do expensive tests, its at that point that you probably want to mention the drug use, or be prepared to spend a bunch of money on ambiguous testing...

The response is appreciated, but have you ever had an opiate addiction? Some people don't get to feel truly 'well' until some 20 plus months down the road. That's a high end figure, but a small group of us locally has agreed that folks with 8+ years of steady use are no way well after a couple weeks. Most of these folks said give it 6-12 months before expecting the 'old you' back.

Sometime ago I read a study about people with Tourettes syndrome having problems with regulating their own body temperature and as far as I remember they found some medicine helping with this (and other issues as well). It is a long shot, but maybe you could find that study on pubmed. One of the authors were called Kessler (we have a famous boxer here in Denmark with that last name, so I remember it clearly :p).

Otherwise you need to "learn" your own body to handle swings in the body temperature and reduce production of stress related hormones. I have used hard strength training during withdrawal where I really got my body sweating and working very hard. This eventually stopped the sweats / cold sweats and made me sleep longer and uninterrupted at night. It is a beginner commentary do how to deal with opiat withdrawal, but it comes up time and time again because hard physical training actually works.

From experience I also know that psychotropic medications mess with the body temperature the same way that opiates do. BUT THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION TO TAKE THESE JUST FOR THIS PURPOSE. However, you might be able do find something about what it is exactly with these drugs that influence body temperature.

Sometime ago I read a study about people with Tourettes syndrome having problems with regulating their own body temperature and as far as I remember they found some medicine helping with this (and other issues as well). It is a long shot, but maybe you could find that study on pubmed. One of the authors were called Kessler (we have a famous boxer here in Denmark with that last name, so I remember it clearly :p).

Otherwise you need to "learn" your own body to handle swings in the body temperature and reduce production of stress related hormones. I have used hard strength training during withdrawal where I really got my body sweating and working very hard. This eventually stopped the sweats / cold sweats and made me sleep longer and uninterrupted at night. It is a beginner commentary do how to deal with opiat withdrawal, but it comes up time and time again because hard physical training actually works.

Ty good info

don't quote me but for some reason i think clonidine might be helpful for your symptoms - i cant quite recall why i think so but ask your doctor maybe?

Yes, I would also think a low dose of clonidine might be worth trying.

As an alternative, when you get up at night you can do something soothing to offset any kind of anxiety/stress arousal situation you might encounter. What I'd do is either get up and put on some Tiger Balm on the affected areas (if I was interested in going back to sleep) or taking a hot bath or shower if I was going to stay up. I imagine doing something physical like yoga or running right away might also help.

This symptoms should begin to resolve over the coming days and weeks though. If it doesn't begin to, it would be a good idea to see a doctor.

NSAIDs, especially Tylenol in particular, are the gold standard in regulating body temperature during opiate withdrawal. This is both what I've always both heard and experienced at medical detox centers.

Seriously, try Tylenol. It works wonders for keeping to as close to an even keel as you can approach. Try a combination of 500-1000mg of Tylenol, 1800mg of gabapentin, and 0.2mg of clonidine. Probably where I would begin a ground dose preceding the early symptoms of withdrawal.

Your best friends will be ice cream, hot soups, warm/cold showers, and of course a powerful fan and working A/C.

Use any of those after your doses to really push your core in the right direction.

-Chase

Yes it's rapid blood pressure swings most prominent in post acute withdraw

Clonidine will stabilize this and make you slightly tired