• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

help with methamphetamine withdrawl

^Well we don't know the exact effects of small to moderate doses, but we do know that the downregulation does happen, which was what I was showing.

I have taken a just a little too much 5-htp before (no recreational drugs in months before) and gotten "brain-zap" sensations, so I don't really believe the "no surplus serotonin" idea either.

i'm personally recovering from a very major meth addiction. i was consuming as much as 3-4g/day every day, every single day, for... too long. i've done 25g in a weekend, which is nothing to brag about but does speak to the power of this drug and the extraordinary impact of tolerance.

i have not done meth in approximately 3 months. the only withdrawal effects i observed was a period of dark dark depression lasting 2-3 weeks about a week after quitting. physically, there are no real withdrawal symptoms. in fact, after quitting even a week after, your physical health begins to improve dramatically.

the best thing you can do is support your friend. don't give her pills. make sure she stays hydrated and sleeps. keep her busy. she will crave the drug badly, although it is a psychological craving.

that craving... i fear it never goes away. just yesterday i was thinking how fun it would be to have just one little bowlful.... harmless i thought. scary.

any psychoses she manifested during use may at any point pop up, and she may notice that her mental function is diminished. plus, she'll be disappointed that the super-energy she used to have is gone gone gone. simple tasks will seem overwhelming. that goes away in time. the psychoses (for me, almost all auditory, and by psychosis i mean the perception of reality in a way that it is not. shadow people, songs playing in your head, hearing sounds that never were, paranoia, visual disturbances, etc) will reoccur. if she's an experienced addict, she'll be able to recognize them and not freak out, which is how we get.

no lng term meth addict really thinks the shadow people are actually there, neither do they believe that a marching band is playing "when the saints go marching in" while they shower, but it sure feels real.

when she hits the depression, and the sleep... and she will sleep a great deal, just support her.

post-meth users tend to gain the weight back fast because you're hit with this extraordinary hunger, as though, duh, you've been starving yourself. better to be fat and meth free (and god, just writing this i feel like a total hypocrite cause if you put a big fat shard in front of me right now i'd smoke it... and not because i want to stay addicted).

do your best to not encourage exchanging one addiction for another. meth is like nothing else. whereas a benzo addiction can kill you on the comedown, and meth will just make you really pissy, meth absolutely changes your brain. she'll probably need to re-learn words and proper sentence formation. its frustrating.

support her, encrouage her, don't patronize her, and keep her busy and active. meth is not necessary to happiness. after three months, i'm as happy and productive as ever, but.... part of me wishes i'd never put that fucking glass to my lips in the first place and part of me wishes i had some right now.

good luck to her. oh and get her to a dentist. she's probably got more cavities than she has any idea of.

if you want her to stay off meth, keep her away from dealers and from people with access to dealers. no smoking pot with the buds, no hanging out where the local runner operates, delete phone numbers. if you have to, call her dealer while pretending to be her and piss him off. anything to sever that relationship. anything.

best of luck to her. and that's the thing, you COULD do meth every day forever and be basically ok, but now being clean for a bit... god what wrong thinking that is.

look rocklobster, I am generally against the use of anti-depressants in general unless it is of utmost necessity. It is like using antibiotics--they may work in the short run, but if your body keeps relying on them, your immune system becomes deficient in the long run. Not only that, but certain strains of diseases may become resistant, or your body may develop dependency on them. This applies to not just antibiotics, antidepressants, but virtually any supplement.

These things should always be used as a last-resort option. If you keep babying your body and brain, it will never learn to adapt. There is no reason to supplement with 5-HTP or any anti-depressant, unless are having severe depression problems.

With that said, it is alright to take a multi-vitamin. Magnesium helps immensely, as it is an NMDA antagonist, and will suppress craving. Yes, it is also true that meth users are deficient in calcium and potassium. But they should be taking intaking plenty of potassium already even ON the meth--whether it be through orange juice or a banana--to reduce the likelihood of stroke. Do not overdo the potassium either, otherwise it can result in arrhythmia and irregular heart palpitations.

Last edited:
Ok, there are some people that are against eating meat because they think it's wrong for a variety of reasons.

This is not an issue of morality, this is about basic health.

And I'm glad you used red meat as an example, because there HAVE been studies shown that have proven red meat to be deterrent to good health:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15702642/
http://www.bhg.com/more/story.jsp?s...tory/data/1156275851771.xml&catref=cat5520002

Those are some random studies that popped up when I typed in "red meat" and "health" in the search engine. While omega 3's and 6's in fish oil, on the other hand, improves it. This, in combination with green tea, is probably why Asians statistically live the longest. ;) I'd post links but you can do a search yourself on this and find out. I'm tired of doing everybody's homework.

^^Exactly.

Which proves that science means nothing, it is never truly objective because there will always be an observer... and you can always twist your words to prove whatever the hell you want, which is why reports from differing viewpoints often tend to conflict and contradict each other, while still being able to support their own views.

With that said, no matter what kind of evidence you bring to light, in the end, people will only believe it if they want to believe it. I mean hell, your own reaction to the links provided in this thread only support this even more.

Well I guess I COULD make a scientific article stating exactly how foolproof scientific articles are using statistics and mathematics, but that would be a bit of a catch-22, and counterproductive to my argument, now wouldn't it?

Here's a hint, rocky: Try comparing DEA "science," to erowid "science." Both are biased, prove completely opposite points, yet both to some degree, make a certain amount of sense. Get it now?

edit: goddammit kas. stop being such a dick. youre going to drive everybody away if you keep acting like this. *slaps self* i swear, im so bipolar at times lol hahhaha

Last edited:
The best part of such situations is that I don't have to say anything. The ranting coming from the moon speaks for itself.

I KNOW MAN, the beauty of life is ramblign on andn oannnn an d onnnnnnn about NOTHIGN cause it WASTES EVERYBODYS TIEM!!!!!! like when you drive on the other side of the lane operating a steering wheel with your teeth JUST to waste an officers time becuase YOU HAVE NO DRUGS IN THE CAR AND GET AWAY WITH ANYTHING!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYY

^^is this a normal reaction when you decide to cut back on benzo's without permission from the docs? i am being serious now.

rocklobster said:
Substituting one amphetamine with another prevents relapse? Wow, who would have though so.

In other news, substituting heroin with oxycodone prevents heroin relapse.

while you are dead-on right about the 5-HTP thing, youre completely out of whack on your analogy. every heard of subsituting methadone for heroin/oxycodone? yeah, thats right, opiates for opiate addiction. imagine!

although i got addicted to crystal meth first, getting a prescription to adderall(amphetamines), was the first step twoards ending the addiction. they eased me off of it, just as methadone to a junkie, and let me get on with a normal, productive existence. youre attitude seems to be that substitution as a return to normalcy is a bad thing.
what would you prescribe? rainbows and sunshine?

Niandra LaDes said:
while you are dead-on right about the 5-HTP thing, youre completely out of whack on your analogy. every heard of subsituting methadone for heroin/oxycodone? yeah, thats right, opiates for opiate addiction. imagine!
Yeah, and you are substituting one addiction for another life-long one. It's not a cure, and it's shitty as a solution to an addiction problem.

there are no potentially life threatening effects associated with abrupt meth withdrawal, as there are with heroin, or benzos, or even alcohol addictions.

there is no need to employ a methadone analogue as you would with heroin to keep you from possibly dying while you withdrew, with meth.

in fact, meth withdrawal is pretty incredibly simple comparatively. the flip side of that coin is that it is also so powerfully addictive.

i am a personal example of having become "first hit addicted" to meth, something i would have never believed even possible. didn't even realize it happened until about three months later when i noticed i'd been non-stop spun from the first moment i hit that shard. and a mighty fine shard it was, as they were back in the day.

if nothing else, the quality of most available meth right now is so shitty that compared to what could be obtained even a couple years ago, quitting it isn't too difficult a choice. "lessee... $300 for a bag of gakky crap that is so obviously cut that the best i can hope for is a bad headache and enough jitteriness to not quite keep me awake all night?"

i mean, does today's shit even dilate a newbies pupils?

ultimately, for a quitter, its either the risk they fear in terms of their finances, their health, or their addiction. generally, if they're only afraid of their addiction, they're not likely to quit even with some kind of "substitution" program.

fucking meth.... and for long term users, or ex-users i guess... i still can't tolerate alcohol, benzos have limited effect, phentermine doesn't touch me, hydrocodone is no more effective than a tic-tac.... its like meth burns out every dopamine receptor in your brain. when you quit, not only do you not have the spunnitude, but you can't really get off on anything else either. post-meth, even coke is boring at best.

it unquestionably brainfucks you.

You can od on serotonin and DIE!!!!

You do realize that you responded to a thread that is nearly a decade old, correct? I state that as I'm doing something similar by responding to yours, I guess... But hey- at least I can say I'm not the wise guy who took the initial lead! 8 years old...

EIGHT....YEARS.... OLD.... and you responded with THAT!? Seriously, dude? How could I resist?

You can OD on much much worse things- with much much higher risks- in much much more terrible ways. Enough said.

For any person seeking Meth withdrawal topics, who may happen to stumble upon this age old thread, I'll make my response worth my time.

If you're gonna quit, it boils down to two scenarios:

1) You're literally sitting meth altogether- as in FOREVER. In this instance, it should be a no-brainer that you don't need to (and therefore- shouldn't HAVE TO) use anything but natural remedies and supplements (such as the ones found throughout this thread). Very simple.

2) You're like me. You've decided you're done with meth- for whatever reasons- but you still believe (sincerely) that you will almost always have that lingering emotional attachment with getting high (this applies to any substance). I quit meth two years ago and traded it for a Kratom habit. I'll gladly be "that guy" on the message boards in this case- telling whoever is reading this and wants to ease meth withdrawals to use another substance in the process.

Kratom isnt for everyone. However- and I stand firm when I say this- everyone with a speed addiction they're looking to end should give Kratom a shot as an alternative before tossing the idea out. It can be used for the comedown, for the extended period of withdrawal, and further on down the road. It can be used for one day, three weeks, or (in cases like mine) months and eventually YEARS.

I don't think i would have ever managed to stay straight. But that's all just my opinion.

Hope this helps someone in the future (preferably sooner than another 8 years from now, though).

:)